• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm SAW vs 6.5 & 300 PRC

kevinsachs

Kevin Sachs
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2018
Minnesota
So many new cartridges to go with for the next build but which is truly best? Anyone out there running any of these and have insight? Accuracy? Reloading? Barrel Life?

7mm SAW
https://westtexordnance.com/7mm-saw/

6.5 PRC/300PRC
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/08/its-official-saami-approves-hornady-6-5-prc-and-300-prc/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...tandards-6-5-300-wby-mag-6-5-prc-and-300-prc/

Three-New-SAAMI-Cartridge-Standards-6_5-300-Wby-Mag-6_5-PRC-and-_300-PRC-2.png
Three-New-SAAMI-Cartridge-Standards-6_5-300-Wby-Mag-6_5-PRC-and-_300-PRC-3.png

What are you going to do with it?

There is a big difference in energy between the 6.5 PRC and the .300 PRC

i'd pick 7SAW then. not quite a speedy 6.5 but better than a 308. and it'll down probably everything in the US.

good ballistics and barrel life. brake/can makes recoil negligible

PRS/Target and the occasional Hunt if it comes up.

What are you going to hunt specifically?

The 6.5 PRC might wind up being the best bet depending on what you are hunting, if you want more velocity / energy than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

If the primary use is PRS/Target and hunting is secondary, you'll want to keep in mind something that you can shoot without too much pain in the shoulder for longer shooting sessions, as well as have a good selection of target bullets.

What are you going to hunt specifically?

The 6.5 PRC might wind up being the best bet depending on what you are hunting, if you want more velocity / energy than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

If the primary use is PRS/Target and hunting is secondary, you'll want to keep in mind something that you can shoot without too much pain in the shoulder for longer shooting sessions, as well as have a good selection of target bullets.

I would probably only use it for mule and white tail hunts and use a larger caliber for big game hunts.

I would probably only use it for mule and white tail hunts and use a larger caliber for big game hunts.

For those, you probably would be fine with a 6.5 Creedmoor, however the 6.5 PRC would be more than enough for all but very long distance shots.
going with the .300 PRC would probably be a bit overkill unless your range work is ELR type stuff (not PRS) and you wanted to hunt large elk and above.

Reactions: Ledzep
For those, you probably would be fine with a 6.5 Creedmoor, however the 6.5 PRC would be more than enough for all but very long distance shots.
going with the .300 PRC would probably be a bit overkill unless your range work is ELR type stuff (not PRS) and you wanted to hunt large elk and above.

300PRC might be overkill on whitetails and mules at typical hunting distances. However, if the OP reloads, maybe he can make some reduced loads that perform well on game inside 400 yards? This will even help with a reduction in recoil.

I’ll have some data for the 7mm SAW in a few weeks for 2 guns. Both will have 26 inch barrels

300PRC might be overkill on whitetails and mules at typical hunting distances. However, if the OP reloads, maybe he can make some reduced loads that perform well on game inside 400 yards? This will even help with a reduction in recoil.
I would also have a brake to help with the recoil as well.

Does the PRC fit in a Remington pattern short action?

So many new cartridges to go with for the next build but which is truly best? Anyone out there running any of these and have insight? Accuracy? Reloading? Barrel Life?

I have a 6.5 PRC in a Curtis Custom Axiom w/ WTO Swithc Lug, 26" MPA Barrel 1:8 (M24 profile on the build list) MPA Brake, MPA Compettion Chassis.

Rifle weight is 17# empty with Vortex Razor and bipod
Recoil with MPA Brake is less than my three 6.5 Gendels with brakes and can - they weigh 10#-12# (2 ARs and a Howa Mini 1500)
Recoil with can is same as Grendels...Bottom line I can stay on target and spot my impacts

Accuracy - that would be the shooter, MFG claims 3/8 groups. I am a consistent .5MOA shooter and am getting that with (roo roo) Becky.

Reloading - Currently that I have found, Hornady is the only one making brass. 6.5 pills... take your pick. a 123 in this chamber would make a wicked varmint round. Another forum member has a "mild load" of 130s running 3200fps.

Barrel Life - There is a 6.5 PRC Thread (https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/6-5-prc.6880255/) that has kind of petered out. One FB user claimed barrel was done at 1100 rounds, but no specs were given on barrel, ammo shot, and cyclic rate.

Boring shooting statistical infocrap below...

4860 ASL
Ambient Temp - 73*
Ammo Temp - 65*
Station pressure 25.35
Clear and sunny
Wind variable 3-7 from the left

Factory Hornady 147ELD Match
Crono with a Labradar - first 21 rounds fired
Stats - Average 2921.54fps
Stats - Highest 2988.9fps
Stats - Lowest 2894.12fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 94.78fps
Stats - Std. Dev 22.88fps

Second trip, reload testing -

4860 ASL
Ambient Temp - 69*
Ammo Temp - 60*
Station pressure 25.28
Clear and sunny
Wind variable 2-5 from the left then shifted to a tail wind from shooting position
600y was full value from the left (had a steel plate set)

Zero confirmation with factory ammo and LR position with Omega 30
Stats - Average 2925.2 fps
Stats - Highest 2954.35 fps
Stats - Lowest 2892 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 62.35 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 21.24 fps

First run of Reload using RL-26, Hornady 147 ELD, Federal 210, COAL 2.950, Neck tension .002, CL should bump .001
Charge weights 50.0gr to 54.5 in .5 increments

3 shot Velocity averages were 2723 to 2957. I have 2 areas that I am going to chase

53.5 gr
Stats - Average 2928.03fps
Stats - Highest 2928.6fps
Stats - Lowest 2927.54fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 1.07fps
Stats - Std. Dev 0.54fps

Velocity node -
54.0 gr
Stats - Average 2949.92fps
Stats - Highest 2955.42fps
Stats - Lowest 2943.21fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 12.21fps
Stats - Std. Dev 6.19fps

54.5gr
Stats - Average 2957.46 fps
Stats - Highest 2975.78 fps
Stats - Lowest 2946.93 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 28.85 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 15.93 fps
From Last 7.54 FPS

I was attempting a Ladder test with 3 rounds in each charge weight, 3 targets @200y, 1 shot per target with a break to log info after each group. Nothing useful gleaned as one target had a virtual single hole (1") with 2 outliers, and the other two were rather tightly grouped. I am not near good enough to trust that each shot is nuts on and not skew my results. I should have set the targets up at 300

Last edited:
I have a 6.5 PRC in a Curtis Custom Axiom w/ WTO Swithc Lug, 26" MPA Barrel 1:8 (M24 profile on the build list) MPA Brake, MPA Compettion Chassis.

Rifle weight is 17# empty with Vortex Razor and bipod
Recoil with MPA Brake is less than my three 6.5 Gendels with brakes and can - they weigh 10#-12# (2 ARs and a Howa Mini 1500)
Recoil with can is same as Grendels...Bottom line I can stay on target and spot my impacts

Accuracy - that would be the shooter, MFG claims 3/8 groups. I am a consistent .5MOA shooter and am getting that with (roo roo) Becky.

Reloading - Currently that I have found, Hornady is the only one making brass. 6.5 pills... take your pick. a 123 in this chamber would make a wicked varmint round. Another forum member has a "mild load" of 130s running 3200fps.

Barrel Life - There is a 6.5 PRC Thread (https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/6-5-prc.6880255/) that has kind of petered out. One FB user claimed barrel was done at 1100 rounds, but no specs were given on barrel, ammo shot, and cyclic rate.

Boring shooting statistical infocrap below...

4860 ASL
Ambient Temp - 73*
Ammo Temp - 65*
Station pressure 25.35
Clear and sunny
Wind variable 3-7 from the left

Factory Hornady 147ELD Match
Crono with a Labradar - first 21 rounds fired
Stats - Average 2921.54fps
Stats - Highest 2988.9fps
Stats - Lowest 2894.12fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 94.78fps
Stats - Std. Dev 22.88fps

Second trip, reload testing -

4860 ASL
Ambient Temp - 69*
Ammo Temp - 60*
Station pressure 25.28
Clear and sunny
Wind variable 2-5 from the left then shifted to a tail wind from shooting position
600y was full value from the left (had a steel plate set)

Zero confirmation with factory ammo and LR position with Omega 30
Stats - Average 2925.2 fps
Stats - Highest 2954.35 fps
Stats - Lowest 2892 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 62.35 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 21.24 fps

First run of Reload using RL-26, Hornady 147 ELD, Federal 210, COAL 2.950, Neck tension .002, CL should bump .001
Charge weights 50.0gr to 54.5 in .5 increments

3 shot Velocity averages were 2723 to 2957. I have 2 areas that I am going to chase

53.5 gr
Stats - Average 2928.03fps
Stats - Highest 2928.6fps
Stats - Lowest 2927.54fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 1.07fps
Stats - Std. Dev 0.54fps

Velocity node -
54.0 gr
Stats - Average 2949.92fps
Stats - Highest 2955.42fps
Stats - Lowest 2943.21fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 12.21fps
Stats - Std. Dev 6.19fps

54.5gr
Stats - Average 2957.46 fps
Stats - Highest 2975.78 fps
Stats - Lowest 2946.93 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 28.85 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 15.93 fps
From Last 7.54 FPS

I was attempting a Ladder test with 3 rounds in each charge weight, 3 targets @200y, 1 shot per target with a break to log info after each group. Nothing useful gleaned as one target had a virtual single hole (1") with 2 outliers, and the other two were rather tightly grouped. I am not near good enough to trust that each shot is nuts on and not skew my results. I should have set the targets up at 300

Did you go with a long action or short?
I have been asking this on the phone by calling GAP, PVA and others, and on other forums. About half said it needs a medium to long action and the other half said it is built for a short action why would you not build it on a short. I plan on using this build for hunting and shooting long distances like the OP....what is the consensus on long action vs short? The actions is was looking at is big horn origin, defiance tenacity, Alamo Precision Rifles action, Stiller predator and I was going to use a barrel nut system so I could change out barrels easily.
Is using a long action worth it?
I don’t think I would ever use any bullet heavier than 147 and if I would it would be at targets or steel and then I would just single feed the rounds anyway.....

IHFarmer07

The action is a Remm 700 type Short action. Using AICS 308 mags. Depending on the mag MFG (Ruger AICS type mags are 2.7?? Factory ammo is a ways off from fitting), you can get the 2.955 COAL. Past that you are hand feeding if you want longer.

If you are looking for field barrel swap w/o tools & vice, then you need to plan ahead for your other chambers to make sure they will fit in the SA .

I am going to get this action set up for a Grendel. Just need to bore a 224 valk bolt out.

IHFarmer07

The action is a Remm 700 type Short action. Using AICS 308 mags. Depending on the mag MFG (Ruger AICS type mags are 2.7?? Factory ammo is a ways off from fitting), you can get the 2.955 COAL. Past that you are hand feeding if you want longer.

If you are looking for field barrel swap w/o tools & vice, then you need to plan ahead for your other chambers to make sure they will fit in the SA .

I am going to get this action set up for a Grendel. Just need to bore a 224 valk bolt out.

Ok cool, thanks.....ah it took me forever to get this far for choosing a cartridge and now that I want this one because of “off the shelf ammo is available “ here’s another road block....actions. I’ve also thought about getting a Tikka T3/t3x for this build because it’s essentially a long action to begin with.

Yes I have other cartridges that interest me....the Creedmoor, 7mm08, 7 saw now.....I just like my short actions, unless Hornady comes up with a 7mmPRC cough cough”Hornady” that requires a long action I will go the route of the long action.
I built a 700 rem via remage from north land shooter supply and I’m quite happy with it. I just ordered a new bolt from ptg when I did it. I think federal ammunition is not very consistent though as one box of ammo 3 bullets were touching at 100yrds and went to the next box and the group was like 1.5 or so.....that’s when I decided that I think I’m going to reload for it.

I have a 6.5 PRC built on a Surgeon WSM action. It hammers.!!! Fell free to PM w questions or ck out the FB page. Ton of game falling at long range w the 6.5 PRC.

Reactions: IHFarmer07
Ok cool, thanks.....ah it took me forever to get this far for choosing a cartridge and now that I want this one because of “off the shelf ammo is available “ here’s another road block....actions. I’ve also thought about getting a Tikka T3/t3x for this build because it’s essentially a long action to begin with.

Yes I have other cartridges that interest me....the Creedmoor, 7mm08, 7 saw now.....I just like my short actions, unless Hornady comes up with a 7mmPRC cough cough”Hornady” that requires a long action I will go the route of the long action.
I built a 700 rem via remage from north land shooter supply and I’m quite happy with it. I just ordered a new bolt from ptg when I did it. I think federal ammunition is not very consistent though as one box of ammo 3 bullets were touching at 100yrds and went to the next box and the group was like 1.5 or so.....that’s when I decided that I think I’m going to reload for it.

7mm PRC with decent factory load and brass options would be great. I think the 7mm SAUM will never be very popular due to lack of those things.

7-300 PRC?
Yes!....something, they’ve got to know they opened a can of worms on the prc lineup of cartridges.....that’s why I think I’m starting to lean more to the long action side now, for preparation of the whatever 7prc they decide to market. I don’t know I just find these the latest and greatest line of cartridges cartridges done right from Hornady and federal.....the Valkyrie, credmoors and prc’s are made to shoot heavy long bullets from boxed ammo from stores!!!!===big sellers

BCX.....I’ll pm you when I get time to to pick your brain a bit...thank you very much for the offer and generosity!

There is not much on the PRC - no Forum that I have found, and I will not go to FB on principle....ever.

Post your Q&A Here, or bring the other PRC thread back to life. I'm new to the cartridge, and working on getting better at the long range (800+) shooting. I would be grateful for others insight, experience and other info gained.

Looking at the ballistics is one thing, seeing what the end result on material is another. I have several steel target racks that I set up at 1.5 MOA when I go out. My 1/2' x 4" square that I set at 300 (probably the average to extended hunting range - I don't hunt) will get 1.5 revs hanging off the 18" strap on a center hit, and if I get a folloup shot while it's sill swinging it takes the stand over. Not a scientific metric for results, but compared to the Grendel, that is rather effective at 300 for hunting up to medium game (and large if one has the shot placement)...Yes, the 6.5 PRC Hammers.

Last edited:
Only reason i joined FB was due to the 6.5 PRC forum. Its nice to see terminal performance on game.

IHFarmer07

If your running a stock Rem 700 short action chances are the feed ramp needs to be notched. You will also need a Accurate 300wsm or Alpha type 4 300wsm mags. The other option is run a Wyatts box.

If your running a stock Rem 700 short action chances are the feed ramp needs to be notched. You will also need a Accurate 300wsm or Alpha type 4 300wsm mags. The other option is run a Wyatts box.
If you are referring to my Grendel second barrel, I did a test feed with the 308 and they did feed OK with the rounds pushed forward. This will be my winter project.

If you are referring to my Grendel second barrel, I did a test feed with the 308 and they did feed OK with the rounds pushed forward. This will be my winter project.
Sorry i thought this was on the 6.5 PRC?

There is not much on the PRC - no Forum that I have found, and I will not go to FB on principle....ever.

Post your Q&A Here, or bring the other PRC thread back to life. I'm new to the cartridge, and working on getting better at the long range (800+) shooting. I would be grateful for others insight, experience and other info gained.

Looking at the ballistics is one thing, seeing what the end result on material is another. I have several steel target racks that I set up at 1.5 MOA when I go out. My 1/2' x 4" square that I set at 300 (probably the average to extended hunting range - I don't hunt) will get 1.5 revs hanging off the 18" strap on a center hit, and if I get a folloup shot while it's sill swinging it takes the stand over. Not a scientific metric for results, but compared to the Grendel, that is rather effective at 300 for hunting up to medium game (and large if one has the shot placement)...Yes, the 6.5 PRC Hammers.
Ya I’m on fb but I hate going on there.....told my wife I’m foisting get rid of it several times....still hasn’t happened.....

Yes very true, find good information is hard to find on the 6.5prc.

Here I did some digging around and found this: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/6-5-prc-load-data.6878053/

BCX I appreciate all you do!!!!

I was told by big horn that if I was to use mostly factory ammo that the short a action will work but if I was to reload 147+grain bullets that I could do a sr3 short with the Wyatts cut.....but that’s a lot $$$ over the origin action and I could get a long action cheaper elsewhere.

Ok....can you run a big horn origin or rem, rem clone short action with a Wyatt’s floor plate.....no magazine involved? I asked this elsewhere on another forum and got nodda....they all said just go to a long action without any explanation on why that idea will/won’t work...

Okay so I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of the other members are. But with the 6.5 PRC needed to be single loaded due to long COAL out of short actions, would it be possible to use a tikka t3 action (since it's a LA) and use a medium bolt stop? Maybe This is not even possible but just a thought I had. This would allow to load pretty long and take advantage of the bigger and heavier bullets without being restricted to the internal magazine length of 308 mags!

Okay so I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of the other members are. But with the 6.5 PRC needed to be single loaded due to long COAL out of short actions, would it be possible to use a tikka t3 action (since it's a LA) and use a medium bolt stop? Maybe This is not even possible but just a thought I had. This would allow to load pretty long and take advantage of the bigger and heavier bullets without being restricted to the internal magazine length of 308 mags!
That’s one other thing I was also wanting to ask out of sooo many. With this cartridge being so new, there’s a lot of questions I can’t remember to ask sometimes lol. Here’s what I have found on it: https://rifleshooter.com/2018/06/custom-tikka-t3-6-5-prc-build/
Now is a tikka action better than a Remington for the most part, are the tikkas a step under a full custom action?

Ok....can you run a big horn origin or rem, rem clone short action with a Wyatt’s floor plate.....no magazine involved? I asked this elsewhere on another forum and got nodda....they all said just go to a long action without any explanation on why that idea will/won’t work...
I can’t comment on the Big Horn. I know my Surgeon WSM is cut for the Wyatts. I believe Defiance will cut the short action for the Wyatts. Defiance also makes a XM length which use e extended box and floorplate.

308 mag length and 300wsm mag lengths are different!!! My 300 Wsm will take up to 2.970-2.980 depending which mag I run. The only time I have single fed my Surgeon Wsm Action was w the Sierra 150 loaded at 3.10.

Somewhat related, but I've got a 7mm-08 Ackley with a .318 neck so I don't have to neck turn. I can easily push the 162gr ELD-M at 2800 with XBR 8208. With RL17 or Hunter I can get 2900.

I shot a match with Clayton and he did very well with his 7mm and I did good with my 7mm-08 ackley. Both have easily sourced brass and better wind bucking, barrel life and knockdown power than most SA cartridges. I'd still choose a 7mm imo.

Reactions: BCX
I’m happy w this 6.5 Prc I’m running a 147 at 2.950 from mags @ 3150 fps w room to spare. From a 100 yard zero 6 mils for 1k and 16.5 mils for 1 mile!

Somewhat related, but I've got a 7mm-08 Ackley with a .318 neck so I don't have to neck turn. I can easily push the 162gr ELD-M at 2800 with XBR 8208. With RL17 or Hunter I can get 2900.

I shot a match with Clayton and he did very well with his 7mm and I did good with my 7mm-08 ackley. Both have easily sourced brass and better wind bucking, barrel life and knockdown power than most SA cartridges. I'd still choose a 7mm imo.
Yes I understand your view with the 7mm as I’d like a 7mm something but here’s my view with 6.5mm vs 7mm and let’s say a Hornadys 140gr eld-m 6.5 bc is .646....it takes a 7mm Hornady eld-m in the 162gr to be at or surpass that bc of the 6.5. That’s more recoil, more bullet than some people need to use for certain things.

I have a big 7 in the works... 7-300 NM improved 30’ w Berger 195. I think to take advantage of the 7 it needs a long action w the high BC bullets.

I’m happy w this 6.5 Prc I’m running a 147 at 2.950 from mags @ 3150 fps w room to spare. From a 100 yard zero 6 mils for 1k and 16.5 mils for 1 mile!
BCX do you know anything about a tikka action with the 6.5prc? It seems they are a great action but parts seem hard to find for them and I just don’t know how good they actually are tolerance and straightness wise.

Reactions: pengilly
Yes I understand your view with the 7mm as I’d like a 7mm something but here’s my view with 6.5mm vs 7mm and let’s say a Hornadys 140gr eld-m 6.5 bc is .646....it takes a 7mm Hornady eld-m in the 162gr to be at or surpass that bc of the 6.5. That’s more recoil, more bullet than some people need to use for certain things.

True, but it's not that much of a difference.. With a proper brake you aren't at a huge disadvantage.

Everything here is a game of pro's and con's. Show me your application and I can show you a cartridge to fit it.

PRS- 6mm is gonna be the best option. 6.5 right behind it.

Hunting- 7mm with 6.5 behind it.

For a do all cartridge, I believe 7mm-08 Ackley or saw are the best options. Great barrel life, BCs, sectional density, wind bucking and terminal ballistics. The 6.5 has less recoil but that's about it. Don't get me wrong, it still has plenty for even large game at long range, but not as much as the 7mms. Pick your poison and shoot the shit outta it.

Off topic but if by any chance someone from Hornady is reading this, a 7mm PRC is something I would have in a heartbeat. Heck, it’s tempting to spec my own reamer and start wildcatting that. Just neck down some 300 PRC brass, load, and shoot! A 7 saum has been a want for awhile, so a 7 PRC would fit that bill with better brass!

Ya I’m on fb but I hate going on there.....told my wife I’m foisting get rid of it several times....still hasn’t happened.....

Yes very true, find good information is hard to find on the 6.5prc.

Here I did some digging around and found this: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/6-5-prc-load-data.6878053/

BCX I appreciate all you do!!!!

I was told by big horn that if I was to use mostly factory ammo that the short a action will work but if I was to reload 147+grain bullets that I could do a sr3 short with the Wyatts cut.....but that’s a lot $$$ over the origin action and I could get a long action cheaper elsewhere.

Short action was the whole point behind the development of the 6.5 PRC. They settled on a COAL of 2.955 ,which fits in certain AICS pattern 308 mags - just not the Ruger mag that I bought which I measured yesterday at 2.892. It has some darn plate in front that is the backing for the seam spot weld.
You should be able to pick any SA action and as long as the mags will fit and feed, you will be GTG.

I might be able to shorten my COAL for the RL26 load that I found yesterday. 147 gr ELD and 54.1gr @ 3034 fps with SD/ES of 6.2/17, and 54.2gr @ 3039 fps with SD/ES 6.8/16... both printed a 5 shot ragged hole. I just as soon leave it at 2.950 since it's a match to Hornady factory ammo, just a touch more speed.

I could run it faster, but barrel life is a factor and I have a speed limit of 3k at the one match that I shoot. The speeds that I got yesterday are 75 fps faster than last week with the same loads (Hornady factory ammo was used as a baseline again and also clocked faster). Not sure if I tweaked a setting on my LR and changed the results. Conditions were near identical if not colder.

BCX do you know anything about a tikka action with the 6.5prc? It seems they are a great action but parts seem hard to find for them and I just don’t know how good they actually are tolerance and straightness wise.
I know Sako and Tikka quality is top notch. If I remember correctly from the FB forum, guys have to use the Tikka LA if your running Tikka mags. Reach out to a smith or two. I think Crescent ?Customs, GAP, SAC, WTO , LRI can answer your questions. If I’m forgetting anyone sorry in advance hahaha!!

Short action was the whole point behind the development of the 6.5 PRC. They settled on a COAL of 2.955 ,which fits in certain AICS pattern 308 mags - just not the Ruger mag that I bought which I measured yesterday at 2.892. It has some darn plate in front that is the backing for the seam spot weld.
You should be able to pick any SA action and as long as the mags will fit and feed, you will be GTG.

I might be able to shorten my COAL for the RL26 load that I found yesterday. 147 gr ELD and 54.1gr @ 3034 fps with SD/ES of 6.2/17, and 54.2gr @ 3039 fps with SD/ES 6.8/16... both printed a 5 shot ragged hole. I just as soon leave it at 2.950 since it's a match to Hornady factory ammo, just a touch more speed.

I could run it faster, but barrel life is a factor and I have a speed limit of 3k at the one match that I shoot. The speeds that I got yesterday are 75 fps faster than last week with the same loads (Hornady factory ammo was used as a baseline again and also clocked faster). Not sure if I tweaked a setting on my LR and changed the results. Conditions were near identical if not colder.
I had a similar experience w my barrel speeding up about 3 times.