• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

800 yrd shot for newbie

Tracked shooter

Disabled shooter, trying to keep the faith!
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2023
Indiana
Help! I am so far below the power curve here, I believed that I was an astute shooter, but I don't understand many of the acronyms.

In several months, I will have access to a 800yrd range. We have been struggling to see target hits at 50yrds and have been looking at spotting scopes.

While considering a celestron ultimate 100 I stumbled across another forum where they informed me that God did not design the human eye to be able to discern 30 cal holes much past 600rds.

I am disabled but refuse to give up, so everything must be done on a shoe string budget. My instrument of destruction is a savage model 11 .308 "Hog Hunter", the intention is to put on an archangel precision stock. My lovely wife allowed me to splurge on a Burris Eliminator 3 and I have fallen madly in love with Burris products. The alternative is several AR10, one of which is a Bushmaster given to me by my brother who has run off to Europe, God only know why.

To solve the spotting problem, the cheap way is to invest in a baby monitor with 1000ft range, and invent or invest in a repeater.

So help me, guide me where I need to go and remember, it needs to be cost-effective.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I just figured out how to upload my track chair, this is my shooting platform such as it is.

Help! I am so far below the power curve here, I believed that I was an astute shooter, but I don't understand many of the acronyms.

In several months, I will have access to a 800yrd range. We have been struggling to see target hits at 50yrds and have been looking at spotting scopes.

While considering a celestron ultimate 100 I stumbled across another forum where they informed me that God did not design the human eye to be able to discern 30 cal holes much past 600rds.

I am disabled but refuse to give up, so everything must be done on a shoe string budget. My instrument of destruction is a savage model 11 .308 "Hog Hunter", the intention is to put on an archangel precision stock. My lovely wife allowed me to splurge on a Burris Eliminator 3 and I have fallen madly in love with Burris products. The alternative is several AR10, one of which is a Bushmaster given to me by my brother who has run off to Europe, God only know why.

To solve the spotting problem, the cheap way is to invest in a baby monitor with 1000ft range, and invent or invest in a repeater.

So help me, guide me where I need to go and remember, it needs to be cost-effective.
I would think a cheap drone wouldn't need to be walked all the way to 1000 yards like you have to in order to place that baby monitor close to the target.

Oops reread you said 1000 feet not yards but either way the drone can fly a lot farther.

Use steel targets painted white with a water line at the midsecton for shooting beyond 200m.

You should easily be able to see .30 cal holes on paper with your day optic at or near max mag at 50-100m with corrected vision if yours isnt 20/20. But if not (and if not, id upgrade the day optic) any half decent spotting scope will work.

ETA: miraging will be the biggest issue to overcome when trying to spot bullet holes on paper much further than, say, 500m regardless of glass quality, which is why I use steel targets for anything beyond 200m for .30 cal and beyond 100m for 5.56. Its much easier to see bullet strikes and you get the nice visual/audiable feedback steel provides.

Last edited:
first off welcome. Second, if you’re trying to see paper holes at 800yds you’ll need some damn good glass. Especially once mirage sets in. Spots on fresh painted steel are much easier.
I’d save some money and not do the arch angel stock. They’re a POS so save your money. If you want a JAllen look get a real JAllen. Otherwise look for other options. A good budget option is the KRG bravo or the MDT XRS if they make your inlet.
Honestly the cheapest thing might be to just drive down to the targets. Based on a tight budget a Burris eliminator wouldn’t be my first choice for much or anything really. Ever.
Not to make you feel bad but if your goal (unless I misunderstood your OP) is to spot paper holes at 800yds with a shoe string budget it’s gonna be really hard.

The Burris XTR-II 5-25x50 is on sale right now at EuroOptic for only $650…. Retail used to be over $1,000 on them, and MSRP is $1,499. I have 3, and plan to get more while on sale. You won’t beat it for the money. Also, it has a really long eye relief (about 4.5” on my scopes), so if you have back, neck, or shoulder problems, it will help you get a good sight picture without having to be pulled way up on the scope. 👍🏼

These rings…

OK Gentlemen, shoot holes in this, a spotting drone with a 3K range, the capacity to handle 25-31mph wind, much more than that, and I'm not going out either.

Does anyone know if the military will allow the use of a drone on the base?

first off welcome. Second, if you’re trying to see paper holes at 800yds you’ll need some damn good glass. Especially once mirage sets in. Spots on fresh painted steel are much easier.
I’d save some money and not do the arch angel stock. They’re a POS so save your money. If you want a JAllen look get a real JAllen. Otherwise look for other options. A good budget option is the KRG bravo or the MDT XRS if they make your inlet.
Honestly the cheapest thing might be to just drive down to the targets. Based on a tight budget a Burris eliminator wouldn’t be my first choice for much or anything really. Ever.
Not to make you feel bad but if your goal (unless I misunderstood your OP) is to spot paper holes at 800yds with a shoe string budget it’s gonna be really hard.
I'm confused about the jallen stock, where can I find one and how do I put a savage model 11 in it.
It looks like you have to disassemble the gun and rebuild it around the jallen system. How much difference is that
going to make over an archangel when the shooter has the palsy...

I'm confused about the jallen stock, where can I find one and how do I put a savage model 11 in it.
It looks like you have to disassemble the gun and rebuild it around the jallen system. How much difference is that
going to make over an archangel when the shooter has the palsy...
No sure what’s there to be confused about. It’s the chassis that the arch angel is trying to imitate. No matter what you get you gotta take out your barreled action and torque it down in the new stock/chassis. A good stock/chassis will always help because it’ll provide a stiffer free float experience than the standard stock.

OK Gentlemen, shoot holes in this, a spotting drone with a 3K range, the capacity to handle 25-31mph wind, much more than that, and I'm not going out either.

Does anyone know if the military will allow the use of a drone on the base?
Military bases are in general considered restricted airspace for civilian drone use.

The least expensive pre-made target camera I'm aware of is the Eagle from DPG at $225 but they are currently out of stock. Other options from Bullseye, Caldwell and Longshot vary from $450 to $900 for one that can transmit as far as you need. If you are handy with electronics one can be assembled with various hobby & security components.

Another thing to consider and clarify before buying anything are the rules at the range. Some prohibit placing anything but a target downrange.