• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

8mm Mauser

Rookie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2004
D/FW
Early 1950s M48B Yugo Mauser, New old stock. This gun shows potential with milsurp ammo so I decided to see if I could improve it. Replaced the horrible trigger with a 3.5lb Timney, added a Bad Ace no tap mount, Vortex rings and scout scope. Added Eagle stock pack to improve cheek weld.

Using Redding dies, Federal brass, 198gr FMJ, 46gr of H4350, 210 primers, seating depth of 2.99 inches. Gun shoots consistent 1.25 to 1.5 inch groups for 3 shots but suucks on 5 shot groups. Maybe its just getting hot I don't know.

If anyone has actual experience loading 8mm I would appreciate your insight on seating depth. Lyman manual says COAL is 3.25 inches, the longest COAL is with a 200gr at 3.00 inches. however my Stoney point indicates a much longer chamber. Here is a pic.
20201226_184350.jpg

rediculous right??

Hornady apparently doesnt see fit to include a .323 bullet comparator but with a .33, it shows
Lands at 2.583 inches and COAL crazy long.
20201226_190531.jpg

Seating to the cannalure puts COAL at 3.17inches. I tried loading 25 thousands off the lands which is way over 3.25 inches and grouped like crap. Any actual experience and wisdom would be appreciated. Thx in advance.

BTW I think this cartridge otta be a thumper on big hogs or whatever. Also if anyone knows torc specs on this action that would be great also!

Last edited:
Early 1950s M48B Yugo Mauser, New old stock. This gun shows potential with milsurp ammo so I decided to see if I could improve it. Replaced the horrible trigger with a 3.5lb Timney, added a Bad Ace no tap mount, Vortex rings and scout scope. Added Eagle stock pack to improve cheek weld.

Using Redding dies, Federal brass, 198gr FMJ, 46gr of H4350, 210 primers, seating depth of 2.99 inches. Gun shoots consistent 1.25 to 1.5 inch groups for 3 shots but suucks on 5 shot groups. Maybe its just getting hot I don't know.

If anyone has actual experience loading 8mm I would appreciate your insight on seating depth. Lyman manual says COAL is 3.25 inches, the longest COAL is with a 200gr at 3.00 inches. however my Stoney point indicates a much longer chamber. Here is a pic.
View attachment 7512439
rediculous right??

Hornady apparently doesnt see fit to include a .323 bullet comparator but with a .33, it shows
Lands at 2.583 inches and COAL crazy long.
View attachment 7512440
Seating to the cannalure puts COAL at 3.17inches. I tried loading 25 thousands off the lands which is way over 3.25 inches and grouped like crap. Any actual experience and wisdom would be appreciated. Thx in advance.

BTW I think this cartridge otta be a thumper on big hogs or whatever. Also if anyone knows torc specs on this action that would be great also!
Rookie I’ve been loading the 7.92 for 20+ years, with my Yugoslav M48. Now most of the bullets on the market are hunting bullets with cannelures, the one’s that dont are the Speer 170 Gr Soft Point and Sierra 175 gr Soft point, and the Nosler 180 & 200 Grain Ballistic Tips and Partitions . Now from what I’ve read Sierra’s 200 Gr HPBT Matchking is the closest in profile to the Germans 198 Gr FMJ used in WW2, and it has no cannelure . That cannelure may be part of your problem, if you don't trust your Hornady equipment, you could use the smoke method, by taking a lighter flame to the bullet until it turns black, then gentle push the bullet into the chamber, when the bullet comes in contact with the rifling it will leave marks in the blacken part of the bullet. Take your measurements and that should put in the ball part for your CBTO. Now for hunting those Hogs, a FMJ isn’t your best choice, from my research the 180 or 200 Gr Nosler Partition’s have a great track record of putting meat on the table .

I was shooting 1.5 moa until the last 2 groups yesterday. Then things went south. Now my horizontal dispersion is .5 inches but vertical is 3.5 inches with last few groups. I think my Vortex scout scope mighta taken a dump.

I was shooting 1.5 moa until the last 2 groups yesterday. Then things went south. Now my horizontal dispersion is .5 inches but vertical is 3.5 inches with last few groups. I think my Vortex scout scope mighta taken a dump.
Well if your scope is loose that will definitely affect your groups, another thing that will effect your grouping is barrel heat. What i do is shoot 4-5 shots in a string, then i let the barrel cool back down for 15 minutes, before firing my next string.

I like the idea of no drill and tap but I can't seem to find a decent scout scope. Leupy makes one for around $350 but the eye relief is too short.

I have another Vortex earmarked for a m44 Mosin but may swap it out to isolate the problem.

Does anyone know the torq specs on the action screws on these old guns?

Does anyone know the torq specs on the action screws on these old guns?
Well I do know that the Germans used various scopes on Sniper version of the K98
during WW2 the answer may be in a book or if a gunsmith that has detailed knowledge of these
rifles may be able to answer your question

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread 2 years old roughly.

So if you reload and load to CIP standards instead of SAAMI and use well constructed hunting bullets the 8x57 can hunt!

I find that out to 350 yards the 8x57 with a 196gr. soft point is just as deadly as a 338 Win Mag. or the heavier jacketed bullets. So Moose, Elk, Caribou hardly tell a difference. At 200 yards or less it is also fantastic on large bear with the right bullet.

On Elk and Deer you can push it to 450 yards and still get a very clean kill.

Sadly if you do not reload the 8x57 is very very disappointing in the USA with factory ammo. The 150gr and 170gr loads like but not limited to Remington Cor-Lokt are anemic!

When my brother in-law got back from Basic and AIT I let him shoot my then brand new unissued Yugo M48A. Shooting Turkish surplus ammo in winds steady 15 knot winds gusting to 30 knots in prone position he placed 5 shots in a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards.

Standing I shot a 2.5 inch group in those same conditions. I grew up doing X-Course, Silhouette and Palma.

My hand loads shoot much tighter. Keep in mind this has iron sights and it's original stock and hardware.

As long as you keep the range about what you would for a 30-06 or .308 Win the 8x57 Mauser is a fantastic hunting round with the right bullet and load.

Old obsolete cartridges can perform and put meat in the freezer if you just ignore the white paper ballistics!
Fclassparadise you hit the nail on the head , for example I went on the PPU website and they load the 7,9 at SAMMI & CIP levels, but they only ship the weaker SAMMI spec loads into this country.

Just saw this. Where can I find CIP loading specs, whatever that is?

Just saw this. Where can I find CIP loading specs, whatever that is?
CIP is the European equivalent to SAMMI who set pressure standards for their cartridge’s.
A couple known loading‘s that are CIP rated is Seller & Bellot 196 Gr FMJ, and Norma 198 Gr SPCE.
7,92 CIP 56,560 PSI
SAAMI 35,000 PSI

Last edited:
Reactions: Rookie
I like the idea of no drill and tap but I can't seem to find a decent scout scope. Leupy makes one for around $350 but the eye relief is too short.
A good handgun scope will work, that's what they used before they were called "scout scopes"