• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm Bolt Action Rifle - Looking for people with experience with the manufacturer (Curtis Tactical)

I've got one of these on order (in 9mm). Really excited, all the more so because of how scarce 22LR has been lately. I didn't order the integral, but I will soon. I expect this gun to offer 90% of the fun of 300 BO, at about 1/3 or less the ammo price. I've learned a few times over that guns that are cheap to shoot can offer a lot of long term fun. I plan to set this up as a trainer.

Hey guys. Just want to give an update as life got the best of me the past couple weeks. I just got out of the hospital Wednesday and got in here to answer emails today. On the 24th I went to the ER with covid which I found out had hit septic shock and I was about to die, my body was shutting down. I spent 10 days in ICU and few more in the hospital. I am home now and weak but am slowly getting back in the shop, today being day one. My guys done a great job of keeping work going while I was out but there things that are all on me to get out for shipping the rifle. This coming week some of the barreled actions will start shipping followed by standard rifles, then integrals. We will be verifying orders as we build them and arranging shipping. Thank you all for patience and understanding, I happy and thankful to be alive right now and will be pushing to get orders out the door. Joe

Hey guys. Just want to give an update as life got the best of me the past couple weeks. I just got out of the hospital Wednesday and got in here to answer emails today. On the 24th I went to the ER with covid which I found out had hit septic shock and I was about to die, my body was shutting down. I spent 10 days in ICU and few more in the hospital. I am home now and weak but am slowly getting back in the shop, today being day one. My guys done a great job of keeping work going while I was out but there things that are all on me to get out for shipping the rifle. This coming week some of the barreled actions will start shipping followed by standard rifles, then integrals. We will be verifying orders as we build them and arranging shipping. Thank you all for patience and understanding, I happy and thankful to be alive right now and will be pushing to get orders out the door. Joe
Thank you for the update. Hope you make a swift and full recovery.

@DrDeath. Should fit any R700 chassis with minimum fitting. Unless you are asking a barrel profile question, and then I have no idea, but likely?

@CTSR. Get healthy! Everyone knows this is a crazy year and a good time to reevaluate the importance of health, family, and home. I'd rather get an email in a month saying these are starting going out than think you are putting yourself at further risk trying to get some rifles out the door before you are recovered.

About 2 years ago I got to play with a mauser destroyer carbine and ever since then I have wanted a 9mm bolt action. I even thought about how I would design one, this checks every single design goal I had.

Get well soon @CTSR you're doing great things

900 is just for the action. The cheapest gun is 1475.
Yeah, but with the suppressed barrel and a nice scope, you can be into the entire set up for $3000 - $4000. That's not bad for a nice plinking rifle. Imagine the money you can save on ammo.

Yeah, but with the suppressed barrel and a nice scope, you can be into the entire set up for $3000 - $4000. That's not bad for a nice plinking rifle. Imagine the money you can save on ammo.

Yes, you're looking at a pretty penny but saving money on ammo isn't the justification. Fun is the justification and if you've never shot a suppressed 9mm rifle that wasn't an autoloader you wouldn't understand. I've spent time behind a break action 9mm and it's nothing but smiles so I see a bolt action 9mm and I get those Jack Nicholson crazy eyes.

Memberberries: One of my hobbies is being a smart-ass. But I can imagine it would be fun. To be honest a bolt action 9mm is a novel idea to me. With the political climate that we have today, it might be the way to go. I know I've departed from ar15s to bolt guns the last few years. I never was a mag dump kind of guy (I'm too cheap). So I can see the appeal of about anything in a bolt action. The above option is a bit rich for my budget. I know, go be poor somewhere else. :giggle:

Memberberries: One of my hobbies is being a smart-ass. But I can imagine it would be fun. To be honest a bolt action 9mm is a novel idea to me. With the political climate that we have today, it might be the way to go. I know I've departed from ar15s to bolt guns the last few years. I never was a mag dump kind of guy (I'm too cheap). So I can see the appeal of about anything in a bolt action. The above option is a bit rich for my budget. I know, go be poor somewhere else. :giggle:

I've been told to go be poor somewhere else quite a few times on this forum lol

Does anyone have one of these out in the wild..?

I'm not really into rimfires, but I load a boatload of 9mm, so this seems fun to me as a "1/2 trainer 1/2 toy" type of thing...

Reactions: Memberberries
I checked in around mid-January, and @CTSR was just getting back in the shop and catching up from having COVID. I am sure he was swamped.

Last I heard, they were waiting on barrels but I haven't contacted them since then in order to give them time to catch up.

I like the idea of a 9mm bolt gun. I however think it is oversized on a 700 platform. I am working on a Remington 582 9mm conversion that I believe is a much more appropriate sized action.

Reactions: DTF370
I like the idea of a 9mm bolt gun. I however think it is oversized on a 700 platform. I am working on a Remington 582 9mm conversion that I believe is a much more appropriate sized action.

700-footprint is kinda the whole point.

Reactions: ESBVader
The Marshalprecision rifle looks nice. Anxious to get the Curtis, but I am liking my smaller CZ actions and wish I had time to make one
into a 9mm. Even a single shot would be fine.

The Marshalprecision rifle looks nice. Anxious to get the Curtis, but I am liking my smaller CZ actions and wish I had time to make one
into a 9mm. Even a single shot would be fine.

You could always get a 9mm contender barrel. A 16" contender with a stock is shorter overall than you'd think

You could always get a 9mm contender barrel. A 16" contender with a stock is shorter overall than you'd think
I have a barrel ordered. TC barrels aren't cheap either. Barrel and fore end were over $800. If I didn't have so much 9mm
I would have not gotten into this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Memberberries
Different type of animal here. Cute, but purely a pest here.

Civic duty to shoot every one you see or run over any seen on the road.
Possums eat ticks. By the lb. Its true. Look it up
Australian bushy tailed possum:

4km92Ip.jpg

Usually shot with a .22 and a spotlight, but for large areas, poison is the only really effective way to kill them.

A Ruger 10/22 with a suppressor and spotlight is my usual choice:

73cdixe.jpg

Last edited:
I have done these before, it's actually pretty easy. Open a 556 bolt face up to .39", no gas system and a side charging upper and you have a handy hand cycling AR9.
What barrel works with this method? I need a project.

Heard from @CTSR today. Looks like they are spinning up barrels now and are waiting on a few small parts. He mentioned ejector springs and bolt stops. After that, I believe they'll have everything close to done. Can't wait...

Reactions: Franko
Please report back on how these things perform IRL..?

I honestly think one of these would make a better trainer than a rimfire for me, especially since I can roll my own vs trying to hunt down .22LR ammo. Besides, the way things are (and may be for a while),"the good stuff" like Center-X and that type of ammo has gotten so rare and expensive, "cheap rimfire practice" isn't really a thing anymore at this point lol.

Glad to hear the project is moving forward. Sounds like the integral versions will be last so I'll try not to
think about it till it shows up.

I sent an email to Curtis as well inquiring about this. It seems like a really cool rifle.

Waiting for confirmation. I did touch base with them this week and they said that they had 3 more to assemble for shipment. They were going to test fire them the next day and start shipping this coming week. I'll update next week, assuming it's good to go.

Reactions: Mugsy9010
Wanted to give an update since it's been a while. Had to deal with COVID over the last few weeks so I've been slow to respond.

I received the barreled action and mag block. My initial observations were that the workmanship is fantastic. No machining marks or flaws in the finish that I could detect. The bolt movement is what I expected for a brand new rifle. I want to work the bolt and break it in first before giving any type of review in that area.

The bolt release is longer than a typical. It's about twice the length of my Vudoo or Surgeon releases, but I was able to cleanly open up the inlet in my Manners T4A to accommodate it without issue.

The mag block fits tightly into the magwell of the Manners mini chassis. There's no movement at all with the mag block once it's inserted. The spring tension on the Glock mag release built into the mag block is very light but not so much that you worry about the mag falling out.

It will be a while before I test fire the firearm for groups, but will post as soon as that's done. In the mean time, I wanted to share the initial impressions.

20210429-135527.jpg

I got an email saying they were filing the form 2 on the barrel/suppressor. Got my Bullberry 9mm barrel in today and
absolutely love the TC carbine in 9mm. Super short, even with the 16.25" barrel.

This would be intriguing to have in an 8” barrel with a PDW type brace chassis. This being said (outside of ammo price) I might prefer to have a 300 blackout.

Cuddos to the manufacturer, these looks fantastic!

This would be intriguing to have in an 8” barrel with a PDW type brace chassis. This being said (outside of ammo price) I might prefer to have a 300 blackout.

300 BO has way more utility, but there are a lot of great 300 BO solutions out there, including the Ruger Ranch in the $450 range. The reason I ordered one of these was to be able to simplify a bunch of disciplines around a single caliber, not have to chase .22LR to do bolt work, and the relative affordability of subsonic shooting compared to BO. Being able to buy subsonic for $0.30 a round once the world gets back to normal sounds pretty nice.

I was thinking similar and went with a 12" overall integrally suppressed, hopefully it will be shipping soon. My plan is to put it in one of the JTAC screech Owl 700 chassis as an SBR/Suppressed two stamper.

I was thinking similar and went with a 12" overall integrally suppressed, hopefully it will be shipping soon. My plan is to put it in one of the JTAC screech Owl 700 chassis as an SBR/Suppressed two stamper.

That’s the exact chassis I was thinking of, just couldn’t remember the company. That should be a sweet setup man!

That’s the exact chassis I was thinking of, just couldn’t remember the company. That should be a sweet setup man!
Only concern is JTAC tells me that the forearm will accommodate a 1.25” diameter “barrel” and Cutis tells me the tube is 1.2” OD. I can‘t find any pics of the chassis forearm but I’m assuming it‘s taller than it is wide, so hopefully I’ll still be able to mount a bipod on the bottom of the rail.

I went a looked and didn't know Curtis T was doing his in 45APC. Why does everyone want 9mm, especially if you want subsonic? I have had a Spanish Destroyer carbine sitting in the closet for years (paid about $89 for it) that has waited on a 45 ACP conversion but I haven't found any one that was successful in the conversion. Lots have been converted to 9MM but the rifles are $500+ now.
The Rock Island M22 has been converted to 9MM. But I am not sure what availability is. I haven't heard of one converted to 45.

I may have to sell the Destroyer and look at the CT in 45. By the time I paid for a barrel, machine work, action work for a scope mount, etc I could buy his barreled action.

Anyone have a photo of his Pork Sword pistol version?

Even if you reload, .45 / 230 and 9mm / 147 are in totally different ball parks for price. Additionally, .45 ACP doesn't suppress as well, given the additional volumes of gas. Frankly, I've been looking for years for a 9mm bolt gun, and have been hoping Ruger would make one, or a mag fed lever gun. The Armscor conversions look great, but you are very limited in terms of stocks/inlets. The Destroyer clones built off the Mausers are similarly spendy, without a great reputation for performance. Rhineland offers the cheapest solution, but it still ins't turnkey. Fingers crossed Curtis has opened up a new market with a quality product (that should also end up available in 10mm, .45, etc.)

Even if you reload, .45 / 230 and 9mm / 147 are in totally different ball parks for price. Additionally, .45 ACP doesn't suppress as well, given the additional volumes of gas. Frankly, I've been looking for years for a 9mm bolt gun, and have been hoping Ruger would make one, or a mag fed lever gun. The Armscor conversions look great, but you are very limited in terms of stocks/inlets. The Destroyer clones built off the Mausers are similarly spendy, without a great reputation for performance. Rhineland offers the cheapest solution, but it still ins't turnkey. Fingers crossed Curtis has opened up a new market with a quality product (that should also end up available in 10mm, .45, etc.)

A 9mm lever gun would be awesome

Wanted to give an update since it's been a while. Had to deal with COVID over the last few weeks so I've been slow to respond.

I received the barreled action and mag block. My initial observations were that the workmanship is fantastic. No machining marks or flaws in the finish that I could detect. The bolt movement is what I expected for a brand new rifle. I want to work the bolt and break it in first before giving any type of review in that area.

The bolt release is longer than a typical. It's about twice the length of my Vudoo or Surgeon releases, but I was able to cleanly open up the inlet in my Manners T4A to accommodate it without issue.

The mag block fits tightly into the magwell of the Manners mini chassis. There's no movement at all with the mag block once it's inserted. The spring tension on the Glock mag release built into the mag block is very light but not so much that you worry about the mag falling out.

It will be a while before I test fire the firearm for groups, but will post as soon as that's done. In the mean time, I wanted to share the initial impressions.

20210429-135527.jpg

Can't wait to hear how that thing shoots? ...especially out to 200-300 yards..?

I'm kind of hoping this can be a "rimfire trainer" without the rimfire part. Maybe allowing those of us who already load 9mm to control our own load/round quality ourselves instead of being at the mercy of what's in-stock: ala shooting mini-mags vs/or Center-X based on one's luck.

Shit, if they shoot and maybe catch on, would be cool if they were allowed in NRL22-type comps as the ballistics aren't far off...

I got my Thompson Center barrel in and played with some different ammo. Not really impressed actually.
115 S&B shot poorly at 40 yards. 147 Winchester shot worse. The bright spot was the 127gr +P+. It shot about an inch and a half with the red dot sight. This is a 1 in 10 tw. Bullberry barrel(Douglas I think). Not to say the Curtis won't shoot better, but you guys talking about shooting 200-300 yards, I'm just going to be doubtful. I'll put a real scope on it and shoot from the bench instead of off the rail this week.

Any update? Sounds like mine should ship soon and I'd love to learn from any of the guys who has had one in hand already.

Not yet. If I get my Manners stock back in time from some work I am having some too it, I may be able to put some rounds down range this weekend. Will update if I can.