• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A champion's rifle, Krag M94 target rifle

TorF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2003
Norway
A few weeks ago I borrowed this modified Krag Jørgensen M94 target rifle from the family of Norway's all time premier target shooter, Ole Lilloe-Olsen (1883 - 1940). The rifle was hidden from the German occupation forces during WW2. The rifle is made by Steyr in 1896. The Steyr action has a few changes from their norwegian produced counterparts wich makes them better suited as target rifles. (I cleaned the rifle before handing it back to the family)

Steyrkrag5.jpg

Steyrkrag2.jpg

Steyrkrag3.jpg

Steyrkrag1.jpg

Ole Lilloe-Olsen shooting for gold in the 1920 olympics:

OleLilloeOlsen.jpg

Ole Lilloe-Olsen, highlights from a life of shooting

1918 Norwegian National Champion Army Rifle (winner in front of app 2500 shooters)
1920 Olympic gold, «Running deer, doubles»
1920 Olympic gold, «Running deer, doubles, team»
1920 Olympic gold, «Running deer, singles, team»
1922 Scandinavian champion pistol
1923 Scandinavian champion 50m .22lr position rifle
1924 Olympic gold, «Running deer, doubles»
1924 Olympic gold, «Running deer, singles, team»
1924 Olympic silver «Running deer, doubles, team»
1929 World Championship silver, pistol
1932 Scandinavian champion clay target (shotgun)
1937 World Championship gold, “Running deer, singles”
1937 World Championship gold, “Running deer, doubles”

Some of Lilloe-Olsen’s old records on moving target, shot with a Krag M94 with open sights, are difficult to beat today with modern scoped target rifles.

Today Ole Lilloe-Olsen is ranked no.51 of all athletes in summer and winter Olympics in modern history.

Last edited:
Lovely rifle! I've got a Kongsberg produced M/1894 from 1901, it's not in as nice condition as that one though.

That is a beautiful rifle. I love the Krag's, smoothest, fastest, bolt actions I've ever used.

There is a Youtube video comparing the Krag with the Mauser. The Krag was much faster and more accurate. The old boy even beat a gas gun in the speed department.

Krag vs Mauser vs Sauer vs (a)g3 - YouTube

Any changes to trigger or action?

Good Day,
What a great looking rifle. Were there any significant changes made to the trigger (beyond stoning) and was the stock/action bedded in any way (center bedding, cork, etc)? What type of tunnel front sight was used? Was it a lyman as well? I'm always fascinated by unusual rifles with amazing historical context.
Thank you for sharing,
Michael

Attachments

• 100_0227.jpg
    100_0227.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 22
There is nothing better than shooting a precision vintage rifle. Very Cool.

Thanks for sharing with us. A buddy of mine is obsessed with the Norwegian krags.