• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A&D FX120 OR SATORIUS?

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
Been using a charge master for the past several years and am in the market for a new scale. Ive been reading a lot of good things regarding the two mentioned scales, but im not quite sure which would best suit my needs. Im pretty much a weekend plinker with an occasional local PRS match. I also reload for my hunting rifles, which are used for a few trips each year. Ive had good success with the charge master, but Im wondering if a little more money would be worth the spending.
Thoughts?

I have the FX120i and Adam MacDonald's Autotrickler and I couldn't be happier. I looked at the Sartorious and at less than half the cost, the FX120i works great. Consistently meters to one kernel of RE15. Sartorious has a nasty habit of buying up the competition and smothering them in the crib as a way to keep prices high. A bit too mercenary for my tastes.

No complaints with the 503. I believe they are discontinued, not sure what the current model is. Either has enough resolution but the 503 is a true mg balance, if that matters to you. Also, I believe the 503 has a taller enclosure.

The guy that makes the auto trickler, Adam, wrote an excellent essay on why the fx120 is a better choice. Note that he makes the trickler for both scales, so he shouldn't have a self interest in either one. The essay is outstanding. It's on his website

I have the FX120i and Adam MacDonald's Autotrickler and I couldn't be happier. I looked at the Sartorious and at less than half the cost, the FX120i works great. Consistently meters to one kernel of RE15. Sartorious has a nasty habit of buying up the competition and smothering them in the crib as a way to keep prices high. A bit too mercenary for my tastes.

I have the exact same setup. It's really amazing. It's stress free handloading and has the resolution to the thousandths gram. So all my handloads are within 3 thou of a gram + or - 1. Makes for some awesome consistency. To me. There isn't a need to spend a lot more for just a little better if it is better. I love buying American when I can but not for more than twice the price.

+1 for the FX120i & auto-trickler set up. Mine has been flawless. Not so sure I will upgrade to Adams new auto-powder measure though when I can do the same thing manually with a powder measure. My charge master has been relegated to the closet at this point.

+1 for the FX120i & auto-trickler set up. Mine has been flawless. Not so sure I will upgrade to Adams new auto-powder measure though when I can do the same thing manually with a powder measure. My charge master has been relegated to the closet at this point.

Me too, on all points.

Check out Cambridge Environmental for good prices/service. Buy yourself a set of powder scoops (I think mine are Hornady....not that the brand is important) and forget about buying an add on powder measure. Works great.

Not really regarding the quality of either, I've owned a FX120 for 3 or 4 years now and I've been extremely pleased with it. With the right size powder scoop and a Omega powder trickler, I timed myself, threw 23 charges in 8 minutes. All loaded between 39.8 and 39.82.