• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A "Dog" question.

Hobo Hilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
What is the "smartest" breed of dog you have recently owned. Not the one you had as a kid or one you had 30 years ago. Dog breeding has evolved so keep it fairly current.
My hearing is failing and I am looking for a dog that will wake me up if the house is on fire. Not going to breed, show or anything like that. I'm active, in and out and the environment is Montana. I have no cattle. A homestead environment, rural.

Maybe the vibrating sensor has its charms, but Mr. Hilton also needs a DOG!

I agree with the border collie recommendation, but I'm going to one-up the suggestion with a border collie mixed with a less wired love-my-master dog like a lab or golden retriever.

I hope my generalization isn't perceived as doggist.

Extra points for a border collie mix that's a rescue (and free!).

They know, and they're grateful.

Personally, by far the most intelligent animal/dog I've encountered is my wofldog Nikita. If she had thumbs we'd be fucked. But I couldnt recommend her for your situation.

Border collie but considering you live in rural Montana, a larger dog might be wise even 2. There are a lot of predators up that way.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
In your situation, I don't think so much as breed as it would be training. Probably wouldn't hurt to talk to some qualified trainers about your
needs.

I've got a Goldendoodle as a service animal for my hearing. I can't hear sirens while I'm driving or smoke alarms. My dog will alert me to those sounds. The training is expensive, around $5k for something simple like what I've described, and escalates quickly for more complex activity. My trainer said Border Collies are the easiest dogs to train.

There is a reason that border collies kick ass in the obedience ring. They are trainable because they are smart and enjoy pleasing their master, so they want to learn and do. That is a whole lot better than dogs who do it because they are supposed to. I have a lot of friends who swear by GSDs which could be another strong option.

Get you a pit bull from a good breeder and not some negro or mexicano from the hood.

I had friend that had a Boykin Spaniel it was great dog but a little on the small side, very smart.

I've had 5 English Shepherds over the last 35 years. They could be confused for a Border Collie but a little bigger (55 to 60 lbs) they are great dogs. Very smart and eager to please. They relish doing tasks. They are not a AKC breed and can be hard to find. Usually they are used as farm dogs although mine are not. Google the English Shepherd Society.

Miles and Stirling

20210927_182521.jpg

Bill

Australian Shepherd. Very smart, easy to train, they want to be with people and they want to please people. If you don't train them, they will train you. The boarder collies are just as smart, but like to operate more independently and need less human interaction.

The Aussies are very protective too, would probably fight to the death to protect their human, but they are a soft dog so they're not winning many battles with a rottweiler.

Do your research before you buy so you know what you are getting into.

Without question, Rhodesian Ridgeback. I have a female, she’s 97 pounds of teddy bear that has a brain and thinks. You must spend time training them, but they are easy to train. Mine follows me everywhere I go, even the gun range off leash with ear muffs; just noticed in that picture she was on leash. That was the first time I had taken her. I was out there last weekend with 6 other shooters and never leashed her. Best dog I’ve ever had by far. PM me your email and I’ll send you a video of how she wakes me up every day at the same time; I can’t put videos on here.

IMG_2639.jpeg

70800653116__01D216BD-AF33-4D89-AD57-31C17D866686.jpeg

IMG_1701.jpeg

I would say a big male Rhodesian Ridgeback would be great except they are short haired dogs and you are in MT...

Reactions: sakoguy21
Also, regarding Rhodesian’s, at least mine; this one loves cold weather and snow. I was a little worried because we are in a west suburb of Chicago, but she loves cold weather and hates it when the temp rises above 75. Above 75 and she’s a couch monkey; she comes alive below 75 and loves running in the snow. I looked up the weather in Zimbabwe, modern day Rhodesian, and it’s on the cooler side.

I actually have a coat for her for colder weather, but it has to be in the teens before she needs it; any warmer and she gets hot.

They are short hair, but it’s thick short hair.

We thought we wanted a male too, but when visiting the breeder, this female picked us. We are glad to have her, she’s very affectionate and friendly, with good judgment of whether a person is ok or not. She profiles people, I’ve watched her do it many times, she will go into what I call “mindful mode”. If I’m mowing out front she’ll come out off leash and hang out in the yard and not run off. If she sees people of a certain persuasion coming our way on the sidewalk, she’ll move to the corner and sit like a lion and watch them. Her size is intimidating and they always cross the street before getting to us. I admit, I have a racist profiling dog and it’s nature that made her that way, not me.

Last edited:
My last dog was a Pyrenees/sneaky neighbor's dog mix that was smarter than he had any business being.

Mom was the Pyr, dad was the Corgi/Queensland mix. Great winter dog, not so much a summer dog.

So I'd suggest a mutt like some of the suggestions above.

Some previous dogs have been a Pit Bull/BC mix, Golden Retriever, a BC, and a Gordon Setter/something mix (was told he Lab in him, but I never saw any). The Gordon Setter mix wasn't stupid, but he had the attention span of a gnat

M

My Brittany Spaniel was incredibly intelligent, highly teachable and eager to please. Plus she would retrieve literally anything, which can be helpful.

Get you a pit bull from a good breeder and not some negro or mexicano from the hood.

Interesting you'd post this today. I've always distrusted and disliked Pits, and still have STROMG reservations about the breed. There are far too many other stories that went the other way. You know the stats.

But yesterday, a medium brindle pit male showed up at my house. Nikita, my wolfdog is in heat so he was real interested. She had her booty pressed up against the fence and he was enjoying it. Shes a real slut. Anyway, I walked aroudn the corner and surprised him, and he just kind of stopped and didnt know what to do, no aggerssion. I put out my hand and he came over and let me pet nim, so I left them alone. Dark came and its getting cold so I put Nikita up and let him into the back yard, bave him some food and a blanket.

This morning I open the back door and its..."Hey buddy I'm ready to come in to my new home." Just as sweet as he could be. If she werent in heat I might have kept him, she loved the company but I had to send him to the shelter.I think i'll deep tabs on him and maybe pick him im up after they nueter him.

At any rate, now I have at least a better opinion of them.

Great stories BTW. In Montana a Pit might not be the best choice though, it gets really cold and they dont have much coat.
Buddy 1.jpg

I have a Australian Cattle Dog mix that's incredibly smart. My wife and I half jokingly think she's part coyote.

Smartest dog I've ever met. Knows how to open doors. She can be incredibly annoying at times with how smart she is.

1000009495.jpg

I have a Australian Cattle Dog mix that's incredibly smart. My wife and I half jokingly think she's part coyote.

Smartest dog I've ever met. Knows how to open doors. She can be incredibly annoying at times with how smart she is.

View attachment 8279069
I dodnt mind Nikita opening doors , if I could just train her to close them. No luck so far.

Does yours ever do stuff she knows she shouldnt then lay in the middle of it just to fuck with you? "I wonder how pissed he'll get this time?"

I've owned labs, pointers, dachshunds, a heeler, and currently have a Doberman.

They have all been fun dogs. The heeler and the Doberman are very loyal dogs, and intelligent. Dachshunds are intelligent as well but can be stubborn.

I dodnt mind Nikita opening doors , if I could just train her to close them. No luck so far.

Does yours ever do stuff she knows she shouldnt then lay in the middle of it just to fuck with you? "I wonder how pissed he'll get this time?"

Mine won't close them either 🤣

This one doesn't do things to me out of spite, but she will definitely try and sneak into the garbage or onto the kitchen counter if she thinks no one is looking. That's an ongoing battle...

Reactions: Maggot
This one doesn't do things to me out of spite, but she will definitely try and sneak into the garbage or onto the kitchen counter if she thinks no one is looking. That's an ongoing battle...

Get a shock collar with a hand remote that has beep, vibrate, and shock selections. Then set her up and start with the beep if she’s misbehaving. Cured my Rhodesian from counter surfing, jumping on people, not coming when I call her, etc. she was a fast learner too.

Reactions: kthomas
Border Collie will always get my vote.

Oh yeah. Especially after post-Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday dinner! LoL

IMG_5569.jpeg

These two are getting on in years now, but I swear the closest one has hidden opposable thumbs. She can still open doors and windows…trickster and a half in her younger days!

Reactions: goinghunting
What is the "smartest" breed of dog you have recently owned. Not the one you had as a kid or one you had 30 years ago. Dog breeding has evolved so keep it fairly current.
My hearing is failing and I am looking for a dog that will wake me up if the house is on fire. Not going to breed, show or anything like that. I'm active, in and out and the environment is Montana. I have no cattle. A homestead environment, rural.
I travel a bit, wife has begun wearing hearing aids. So she sleeps with just our pitbull in the house. I swear “Miss Shelia”can hear a roach fart. She “triggers” at the littlest sound. I sleep tight knowing she hears better than both of us. 👍

We've got Standard Poodles. Very smart dogs, sometimes too smart for their own good. They take to training well, but can be a bit spazzy until about 1.5 yo. Very playful. And they have a hollow leg!

Get a shock collar with a hand remote that has beep, vibrate, and shock selections. Then set her up and start with the beep if she’s misbehaving. Cured my Rhodesian from counter surfing, jumping on people, not coming when I call her, etc. she was a fast learner too.

I actually have both of my dogs trained on e-collars.

They know that if I tone them, a shock is coming next if they don't listen.

I may have to retry with her and the counter surfing. It's frustrating because that means I have to constantly watch her, but she's smart enough to know to go for the counter when say I'm in the bathroom.

Smartest dogs are Border collie, French Poodle, German Shepherd Dog ( a German Shepherd is the owner of the dog).

Remember every dog is a individual so just because one is smart another may be retarted.
A dog with a good nose should be what you are looking for.

Based on experience our last two dogs have been very smart but in notably different ways. The one I’d trust to wake us in a fire was half chow and half german shepherd. The one I’d trust to run in and drag us out is half choc lab and half staffordshire terrier. The first dog was much easier to own.

Don't forget that smart, energetic dogs will need SEVERAL HOURS of daily stimulation and interaction (play, hike etc...) or you will end up with a mischievous and destructive pet.

As a good general rule of thumb, your herding breeds are usually smarter than average.

I believe the Jack Russell terrier is officially recognized as the smartest breed of dog.
We've had a border collie for 15 yrs, and I've been around 3 Jack Russels and they dont hold a candle to a border collie. In my opinion of course. But our BC has gone everywhere with us and our 5 kids. Really has been a perfect dog. Rural MN, and has never once left our yard and never been leashed. Dreading the day that is soon approaching when he goes to Heaven.

We currently have a GSD and a Border/heeler mix. Both very smart, both trainable. The GSD listens better but the border is learning hand signals better.

One thing about GSD, they bark alot and bark loud. Fearless dogs and intimidating to strangers. Both are doing well in our frigid (ND) winters though they come in well its very cold.

Coyotes aren't an issue for either dogs, but the border likes to have backup, the GSD doesn't care...

I have had multiple labs, I have run them in field trials and hunted them all over the United States they are extremely intelligent and like to learn. I bread Black Mouth Curs and they are very intelligent and extremely protective. As I type this I have a 65lb, 9 month old German Sheppard dog in my lap. He is the smartest dog, I have ever owned. Keep in mind intelligent means lots of work if they are not stimulated/worked that intelligence turns into mischief. My GSD loves playing ball and doing protection work, but scent work is his game, it really stimulates his mind. The smarter the dog generally the more work you have to put in.Good luck with your choice and your commitment to your choice.

Hobo, you have got some good opinions here. I would give consideration to two dogs. I live on a rural farmstead as well. Any of the larger Shepard varieties paired with a smaller border or Cur I think would be a great choice. As others have said here, smart dogs with high energy need a job or need regular exercise with a SxS or sled.

I have an off grid homestead in rural Montana, and my vote is Australian Shepherd. I have 2 and they are great at keeping the place free from unwanted visitors, four legged or two.

Have a friend who is a good sized rancher in NW SD. He believes in Border Collies, has 3-4 on duty. He told me they have had all out UFC fights with coyotes on the deck of his house. Literally bouncing off his patio. Said a mature male Border can kill a coyote. Also told me an interesting story about a Lion that ended with his lead dog getting scalped and his shoulder torn off. He lived though.

Their are a number of breeds that will work. Hard to beat the German Shepherd .

Malinois. I have two. The female I adopted when she was 6 from a shelter and she has a good drive and is smart. My 4 year old male is from a very high drive sire and dam and he is smart as hell. I swear he understands everything I say. Nothing enters my yard for longer than 5 seconds.... bird, deer, butterfly, bee, yote, squirrel, cat, UPS, FedEx or USPS... that he doesn't want there. The breed was created as a herding dog like the Border Collie There is a reason this breed is chosen as a working dog for services. If you go this route look before you buy. Try to see the sire/dam for their disposition. This breed needs/want to work and you want find a better dog companion in my opinion. And for training, find a trainer that will train you as well as the dog. Don't waste your money on a fluffy-fu trainer for your more common breeds that only know obedience. My signature pic is the male on his first birthday.

There is a difference in smart and trainable.. there are stubborn breeds that are highly intelligent and average breeds that are exceptionally trainable.
That's a great point. My Akita is very smart but he is a guard dog so that's what he does.

A border collie /heeler mix is going to be the smartest dog out there. This is probably even a fact , but they are also trainable. However, they have high energy and that can cause major issues if you don't drain that off of them daily and give them a job to do. Need to balance all of the things that are important to match the right breed beyond just being smartest.

Have 2 of these ,,great fun with them.
Best way to describe them,, Rottweiler with Poodle hair. Double coated fur,, no shedding