• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing a few stock questions/help please

stephen_allen

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I've got a McMillan HTG with a bipod stud and flush cup at the forend. I'm attempting to install an atlas BT17 rail for use with my atlas bipod. See attached pictures.

I would like to use the bipod stud as one attachment point, and I have the atlas fastner set to install a hurricane nut for the second screw. My problem is the location of the existing flush cup is very close to where I will need to drill for the second screw (see pic 1). I'm not sure how those flush cups are installed at McMillan, how deep they are embedded, etc and I don't know if that flush cup will interfere with my second screw location.

Picture 2 is another option, but it puts the rail mounted at the very front end of the stock and is unsightly....but gives more clearance from that flush cup.

Obviously picture 1 would be ideal. Will there be enough clearance? I don't think the hurricane nut will be embedded deep enough to hit that flush cup, but I wanted to make sure before I start drilling all willy nilly into a finished stock. Mike Bush did an incredible job on this thing and I don't want my monkey hands screwing it up....even if it'll be hidden in the barrel channel.