• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A question for those with families in bear country

diverdon

Constitutionalist, by choice
Minuteman
  • Dec 21, 2011
    WNY
    20210630_125306.jpg

So this morning I found what looks to me to be black bear scat among a stand of birch about 75 yards behind my house.

My 8 and 10 year old often play outside alone. Anything special I should tell them?

We lived in deep forest black bear country. A neighbor down the road would hand feed them (nuckin futz). Had a sow in her teens that would drop 3-4 Cubs every couple years. She charged me once when we accidentally bumped into each other while I was out running. She had two little fur balls who treed up instead of following her so she warned me to keep away…. Check, not a problem!

I would not worry at all as they don’t want to be around people. Don’t keep garbage, grills, or bird feeders outside to attract them.

If you have a dog, they will give wide berth. We enjoyed seeing them whenever it happened and they didn’t stick around at all.

Your kids are MUCH more at risk at school or online than any Bear threat.

Keeps a healthy adversion to humans in their brain. Lone black bears are normally skittish around people. The ones that aren’t put themselves and you in danger. A sow with cubs is a different story.

Good opportunity to educate the boys. Commons sense stuff. If you see a bear vacate the area. If you see cubs, vacate quickly. If you see a Sow with cubs back off calmly and extra quick.
    I have run into a few black bears trout fishing in the backwoods, they generally want nothing to do with me, and the feeling is mutual.

Reactions: diverdon
    We have a very good size population of bears on our land. Get more pictures of them then deer lots of times. See dozens of deer every day and never see the bears in person. They don’t want to be seen especially if you have a dog around. I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’d spend more time with them teaching them some scenarios so you have confidence they will do the right thing … or at least start thinking once panic is over with..

Get each kid a puppy and have the puppy sleep with them until they become inseparable.watch some videos of bears on YouTube with them and talk about bear safety. walk with them in the woods and point out things to them. Make it a game to spot animals or objects. Take them a mile out and have them find their way home. Ask them what would you do if… talk about getting lost and how to survive. Talk about cold fast moving water..go camping in the sticks..

Bears are not as bad as a bull moose or elk or a mama deer or a lion. Or just getting stupid lost when a storm comes in.

Black bears aren't so bad as long as you don't get between a sow and her cubs. We have lots of them.. in the yard, on the hiking trails, and of course in the woods. The only time I've ever had a sketchy time with a black bear was trail running with headphones in, not really paying attention, until I practically ran into a bear with her cubs nearby. Situational awareness will keep the kids from coming up on one and startling it accidentally - teach them to pay attention to their surroundings. Don't leave any food or food related garbage laying around. If they come across a bear, they should just stop and stand their ground until the bear wonders off. Dogs are great but have to stay near the kids - on a leash if it's a dog that wonders around. The last thing you want is a dog getting a bear agitated and chasing the bear back to the kids.

I thought this was a thread about bears, but I click on it and it is about Black Bears. Just say mean words to them and they will run off. More seriously, they are pretty scared animals, and not generally dangerous. Like any predator, though, they can get excited by something shrieking and running away from them. Worst comes to worst, they really aren't hard to kill. A 9mm is fine for a black bear. Just teach them to be aware of what is around them.

Reactions: Oldloser
    I thought this was a thread about bears, but I click on it and it is about Black Bears. Just say mean words to them and they will run off. More seriously, they are pretty scared animals, and not generally dangerous. Like any predator, though, they can get excited by something shrieking and running away from them. Worst comes to worst, they really aren't hard to kill. A 9mm is fine for a black bear. Just teach them to be aware of what is around them.

Good points

and, yep. Handguns are very effective.