• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

A Starting Package

lrsnewbie

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2013
Wondering if someone can put together a package of scope, rifle, weather station, everything I will need to get started. Built around a budget out about 3000$ Will be shooting mainly 500-1000 yards, and would like to hunt deer with it, but if that is going to drive the price of ammo way up then it's fine for just targets. Let me know if I need more info. Thanks

Remington 700 pss or 5r with leupold mark 4 glass is a pretty good entry package. Get a Harris bipod and shoot the piss out of it. If you keep a watch on the hide classifiers you can pick all that up for well under your number so you will have money for.ammo to train with.

Are you looking for a spec list to piece together yourself, or to pick up a turnkey rig from your FFL that someone else bolted together?

I "recently" found 2 5Rs, on the Sale section, for $950/each.My first 5R was my starter. I had to get more, as it's a great gun, for the price. I put a Nikon 8-32, on my first, and it shoots lights out. My first, was New, at 1170. The Nikon, rings and base, took that to 2K. It's one of my favorite shooters. A Nikon "Buckmaster" 4-16, sits on another one. They're a lot cheaper. Around 400, and works just fine. The 2 "new" used 5Rs got a Nikon5.5-20, that I got here, for 500, and the other wears a Night Force 12-42, that I found here. I kinda think they'll both do "just fine", for me. Actually, I'm just gettin em ready[read: play with them, for a while], for a couple buddies. They "might get em", if I can "let them go". Or I'll keep one, and look for another.

Last edited:
a r700 5r is a great start
scope- vortex PST, bushnell HDMR, used NF all good choices
TAB gear sling, sand bag
accushot or harris bipod (KMW podlock for harris)
badger rings, base
timney trigger
KRG, XLR, AI, manners, mcree chassis will give you removable mags and a lot of adjustability

if you find stuff used or search around that should put you in the ball park, maybe a couple hundred over but you won't "outgrow" it for a while.