• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC 7.62SD POI is 6-8" off????

alpha6164

Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I just had my FNAR threaded and an AAC fast attach muzzle brake installed to be used with my 7.62SD. The brake does an amazing job in taming the recoil and muzzle rise and with the brake alone there is no shift in POI compared to before i had the barrel threaded. No adjustment of the scope was needed and 5 shots at a 100yards are touching each other when shooting with the brake alone.

Once i put the 7.62SD on it shoots 6-8" down and right at around 5 o'clock position. And again those are consistent too. I made 4 shots and all four shots were touching each other. I didnt do an exact measurement but it was at least 6" and max 8". It was enough for me to be concerned. I have a few other AAC suppressors and used to a 1-2" shift but this much?

First thought was if the barrel was threaded improperly but then again i would expect a shift with the muzzle brake itself and i dont see it. Could there be something wrong with the suppressor itself? All inputs appreciated.

Re: AAC 7.62SD POI is 6-8" off????

At first it sounded like baffle strike but to still group.....?

I'd check to bore just in case.....

I dunno though.

I saw a few guys on a forum ranting about how their AAC suppressors were slightly canted, it cant be too much otherwise you would have a strike, but it may be enough to make your POI that far off. thats a bummer, i'm growing my collection of 7.62 cans and don't have a AAC yet, not sure i want to drop the 900 to have a 9 inch POI shift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as it is consistent who cares? Just rezero the rifle. </div></div>

That is unacceptable. When it is 6-8" off at 100yards, imagine what would happen at 500yards! No way to know how consistent it will stay farther than 100yards. I believe when it is that far off at 100yards, there is something wrong. Just re-zeroing it can not be the answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as it is consistent who cares? Just rezero the rifle. </div></div>

That is unacceptable. When it is 6-8" off at 100yards, imagine what would happen at 500yards! No way to know how consistent it will stay farther than 100yards. I believe when it is that far off at 100yards, there is something wrong. Just re-zeroing it can not be the answer. </div></div>

There is only one way to find out. Rezero it and try! If the bullet drop stays consistent at 500 yards as it would without the suppressor then you are done. Do you have a chronograph? You may want to chrono the rounds with and without the suppressor to see if there is a noticeable difference.

I had the same problem with a thread-on Cyclone, 5" at 4 0'clock & my Gemtech HVT is .5" at 12 o'clock. Custom GAP 308. I called AAC & they took it back and said it appeared they missed a step in production. They "fixed" it and I just got to try it out yesterday.....5" at 2 o'clock. Fuck.

My cyclone K is 2" low at 5 o'clock position at 100 yards, but is consistant. I have not heard of a POI shift that drastic. Again though if it is repeatable, zero and go forth. The other thing to consider, is the threading true. I am assuming that since your in JAX, you probably bought from Neil at Gun Gallery. Take it in to him, he'll make it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as it is consistent who cares? Just rezero the rifle. </div></div>

So your gonna rezero every time you remove or install the can?

My similar set up QD YHM Phantom on a 26" Howa rifle gives 6" vertical drop with silencer on. The longer and less stiff the barrel is the more the POI is going to change, you can't just add 1lb weight on the end of a barrel and expect the POI not to change.

If your groups remain tight but POI just shifts then your barrel just flexes a lot and not straight down. You can try cutting your barrel shorter to try and find a harmonic sweet spot. I never shoot with the silencer off, do not know why I would want to so my zero is with silencer on, in the back of my head I know where the point of aim is to be if the silencer was off but I have no intention of shooting with increased noise and recoil.

Make sure the added weight is not causing your barrel to loose it's free float. You can put an optic on with target turrets and just have two zero settings for with and without.

I have spoken to a couple different silencer manuf. about threading and putting their silencer on hammer forged barrels, they did not recommend due to threading and weight of silencer causing unpredictable stress relief in the hammer forging. I never did it so really can't comment from personal history with hammer forged barrels like in your FN rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hineline</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The longer and less stiff the barrel is the more the POI is going to change, you can't just add 1lb weight on the end of a barrel and expect the POI not to change.
</div></div>

I understand if i had a thin 26" barrel. This is a 20" heavy profile barrel on the FNAR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hineline</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The longer and less stiff the barrel is the more the POI is going to change, you can't just add 1lb weight on the end of a barrel and expect the POI not to change.
</div></div>

I understand if i had a thin 26" barrel. This is a 20" heavy profile barrel on the FNAR. </div></div>

it will still flex....

my scar-h's do about what your seeing. rezero with the can on and see whatcha got

when i put my cyclone-k on my 18in spr barrel it was a few inches low at 100in, around 4 or so, i made the adjustment, re-zeroed and was banging steel at 400yds

i was hoping for it not be be off so much but it is.

i didnt notice as big of a difference with my 11.5 barrel though, its poi is very very close at 50yds, gun had open sights on it at time and i was just banging away but hitting at 50yd wasnt an issue

AAC makes a couple of silencer products that have index points so the silencer can lock up at different rotational points to reduce POI shifts, I don't know if it works or not cause I never bother, but I guess you could use a shim washer behind the mount and vary the thickness to vary rotational lockups and see if there is a sweet spot, then lock the mount down to the barrel at that point.

I hear what you're saying, and if the drop was just vertical I would suck it up and know +/- 4 MOA is my deviation, but it is not. Having to adjust vertical and windage is a PITA and more numbers I have to store in the brain housing group. I would just prefer not to deal with that, I'll catch up with Mike at SHOT tomorrow and see if there is anything we can do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as it is consistent who cares? Just rezero the rifle. </div></div>

So your gonna rezero every time you remove or install the can? </div></div>

That might not be necessary. The only way to tell is to test. Zero it, take the can off, put it back on, and see if your zero holds. If it does not that really sucks. Hope that zero holds and your life is easier.

In my experience, manufacturers who "guarantee" minimal POI shift are liars. Every rifle responds differently to every different silencer. You might take that same 762-SD and put it on a different rifle and see 0.5" at 6 o'clock. It's tough to predict, due to the behavior of the given rifle. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get unlucky. The nice part about good silencers is that whatever POI shift you get is usually repeatable. If your suppressed POI is consistently 5" right and 3" down, then you can just click to that value every time you install the can, and you know you're zeroed.

My Sako TRG22 gives me a 2" vertical POI shift straight up at 100 yards with my Cyclone. I shot 5 round groups with the can on, then can off, can on, etc. for 40 rounds and the POI shift repeated exactly over and over.

I got another vertical POI shift with my M42K on my 10.5" 6.8 LWRC, but I can't remember how much it is right now.

As said every rifle is different, a 7.62 SD on my Krieger barreled 308 has a 1" poi shift to 06:00, about what I had expected. It is the same with a CZ 527 varmint .223. Same with a 6mm Dasher. Stick it on my LR-308 and it might be 5" right, left, up, or down, never the same. Got a couple AR-15's that poi doesn't change at all. On another it won't print on a pie plate.
From my experience bolt rifles are usually repeatable, gas guns are a coin toss. If anything the suppressor tightened up groups with the bolt rifles, can't say the same for the gas guns.

I have an AAC cyclone-k and at 100yds the POI shift is 5 MOA low and 5 MOA right. It is repeatable, does the same every time I take it off and reinstall it. Groups are the same either way. On target to 1550yds, just have to remember to add in 5 extra MOA up and 5 MOA left and I'm GTG.

Well at least you know your not alone. I can't say that has been my experience with my 30 cal can and any of my 4 rifles. All less than 2" POI diff. Ranging from 20, 22" M24 contour, 22" rem Varmint contour, and a 18" LR308.

TOPOsniper,
Which of the two cans do you like the best the cyclone or the HVT and why?? Which one is quieter or are they about the same??? Thanks!!!!

Hey Rap, The Cyclone is quieter and lighter, just wish I did not have the windage deviation. Spoke with Mike at SHOT today and said whatever it took to make me happy is what they would do. Can not beat that kind of CS.

The HVT is a little older tech and not as quiet, but solid. I use it on my 300 Whisper bolt gun & it is f-ing evil. For a thread-on can, if the Sandstorm was out when I ordered the Cyclone I would have purchased the Sandstone.... I'll send the Cyclone back for a second time to try and get it right.

Brian W, are you getting this kind of POI shift from a bolt gun? We're in the same boat. If a thread-on can is making a bolt gun off by 5MOA in windage......it is not straight.....

Yes sir, a rem 700 .308. I have never worried about it as it repeats every time, and group size remains the same. I talked to AAC right after I first got it and they said it was due to barrel harmonics.... Maybe it is or maybe it isn't I don't know but it does suck though, I always miss when I forget to dial the extra windage and elevation in.

This is quite suspect....I use a lot of 762SD suppressors and they've all had a .5" vertical POI shift on every rifle I've built. Personally, I won't accept anything greater than .5".

My AAC .308 moves impact down 4in. and rt. 1in at 200 yds.
Its called barrel harmonics. Hanging a big steel thing off the end of your barrel has to make a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is quite suspect....I use a lot of 762SD suppressors and they've all had a .5" vertical POI shift on every rifle I've built. Personally, I won't accept anything greater than .5". </div></div>
+1

whoops old thread....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as it is consistent who cares? Just rezero the rifle. </div></div>

That is unacceptable. When it is 6-8" off at 100yards, imagine what would happen at 500yards! No way to know how consistent it will stay farther than 100yards. I believe when it is that far off at 100yards, there is something wrong. Just re-zeroing it can not be the answer. </div></div>

it will be consistent. if you hang a weight on the end of a barrel it will affect poi, period.

put the can on and zero the gun. you are now ready out to whatever range.

AAC cans, especially the QD models are crap. And their customer service is crap too. I've had to have one rebuilt because of manufacter defects 4 times and has cost me double what I originally paid for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC cans, especially the QD models are crap. And their customer service is crap too. I've had to have one rebuilt because of manufacter defects 4 times and has cost me double what I originally paid for it. </div></div>

There is another Mfg out there(an on here)who built a can and threaded a barrel for me that ain't much better. First rd was 6" left and 5" low, ya all cans shift impact but that much at 25 yds? Second rd was not even within 2" of the first. Pulled the can and looked and saw the baffle stack was not even centered. Called them up, sent it back, they fixed it but the B/S that went on with the return told me everything I needed to know about their customer service. I guess I should have learned the first time on another project. Problem I see is everyone is to busy/rushed to do it right the first time, then when it's returned they get pissed like your insulting their ability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC cans, especially the QD models are crap. And their customer service is crap too. I've had to have one rebuilt because of manufacter defects 4 times and has cost me double what I originally paid for it. </div></div>

I strongly disagree. AAC customer service is excellent. I had a can with a warped tailcap and they replaced it, paid my tax stamp, and gave me a $200.00 credit with them for another suppressor. Their suppressors are excellent for the money.

Replaced with a different S/N or just replaced the warped cap?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replaced with a different S/N or just replaced the warped cap? </div></div>

New can, new serial number. Hence them covering my tax stamp.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC cans, especially the QD models are crap. And their customer service is crap too. I've had to have one rebuilt because of manufacter defects 4 times and has cost me double what I originally paid for it. </div></div>

I strongly disagree. AAC customer service is excellent. I had a can with a warped tailcap and they replaced it, paid my tax stamp, and gave me a $200.00 credit with them for another suppressor. Their suppressors are excellent for the money. </div></div>

Did you have to buy another can to get the credit or were you getting one anyway?

A credit for a defective product is only a good deal if you were buying one anyway, otherwise they should have offered you cash.

On the contrary, I have a QD 762-SD and my POI shift was only 1" up and .75" left. I find it to be an excellent can..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC cans, especially the QD models are crap. And their customer service is crap too. I've had to have one rebuilt because of manufacter defects 4 times and has cost me double what I originally paid for it. </div></div>

I strongly disagree. AAC customer service is excellent. I had a can with a warped tailcap and they replaced it, paid my tax stamp, and gave me a $200.00 credit with them for another suppressor. Their suppressors are excellent for the money. </div></div>

So they didn't even pay for my Tax Stamp. Worst thing was I moved and couldn't get anyone to sign off on my can so I had to get a lawyer to put together a trust which cost me $500 plus the $200 registration tax. I even told AAC about having to get a Trust. Think they'd throw me a bone...Oh sure I get dealer cost on a new can. BITE ME. It took them 10 MONTHS to get the thing built. Meanwhile, I still don't have a can and that's after I sent it in to AAC in AUGUST of 2009. Their Customer serve SUCKS!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC cans, especially the QD models are crap. And their customer service is crap too. I've had to have one rebuilt because of manufacter defects 4 times and has cost me double what I originally paid for it. </div></div>

So they didn't even pay for my Tax Stamp. <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Worst thing was I moved and couldn't get anyone to sign off on my can so I had to get a lawyer to put together a trust which cost me $500 plus the $200 registration ta</span>x. </span>I even told AAC about having to get a Trust. Think they'd throw me a bone...Oh sure I get dealer cost on a new can. BITE ME. It took them 10 MONTHS to get the thing built. Meanwhile, I still don't have a can and that's after I sent it in to AAC in AUGUST of 2009. Their Customer serve SUCKS!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Yeah, fuck AAC for not paying for your lawyer fee's since you moved to a unNFA friendly area....

They always pay for my lawyer fees and transfer tax when I buy their suppressors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC cans, especially the QD models are crap. And their customer service is crap too. I've had to have one rebuilt because of manufacter defects 4 times and has cost me double what I originally paid for it. </div></div>

So they didn't even pay for my Tax Stamp. <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Worst thing was I moved and couldn't get anyone to sign off on my can so I had to get a lawyer to put together a trust which cost me $500 plus the $200 registration ta</span>x. </span>I even told AAC about having to get a Trust. Think they'd throw me a bone...Oh sure I get dealer cost on a new can. BITE ME. It took them 10 MONTHS to get the thing built. Meanwhile, I still don't have a can and that's after I sent it in to AAC in AUGUST of 2009. Their Customer serve SUCKS!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Yeah, fuck AAC for not paying for your lawyer fee's since you moved to a unNFA friendly area....

They always pay for my lawyer fees and transfer tax when I buy their suppressors.

</div></div>

You beat me to it....

If you expect a company to pay for YOU making the decision to move to an unfriendly NFA state then you are a fool. Why should they pay for your lawyer? You want the toys, be prepared to pay for them. I paid a lawyer for my trust, I have no issues with that.

AAC treats me great when I need service as well as thousands of others, oh and the military....

Do you guys always spout off in ignorance, or just jerks by nature?

I'm in the same friggin state and moved in the middle of the rebuild and that only 10 miles from where I was living. Oh ya, and it just so happens that I used to rent a house where I live now, which "coincidently" happens to be the same CLEO joursidiction where I got several previous CLEOs to sign off on other ATF forms I registered. I can't help it the new guy refuses to sign. Do you guys seriously buy a house on whether the local CLEO signs ATF forms? I highly doubt it. Besides, I told AAC I needed at least paperwork because I was in the middle of the move and wasn't sure of the new jourisdiction. Who the heck takes nearly a year to rebuild a can anyway, especially a warrantee replacement? Shoot I had a brand spanking new MK9 bebuilt for my uzi by AWC.....took 3 whole friggin weeks.

Oh and NO I don't expect AAC to pay my Lawyer fees. What I do expect is equal treatment for their supposed commitment to their lifetime warrantee. So really, its Ok for them to pay someone else's tax AND give them a 200 dollars for a warrantee replacement, but not me? I kinda would think if you paid a total of a grand on something that was broke from factory (they admitted it "It was made with too much overtravel in the treads...Mike Mers") and then had to shell out 700 more dollars to get it back you'd be pissed. Get off your high horses guys.

I STAND COMPLETELY CORRECTED!!!!!! I just spoke to AAC and they have ALL of my business from here on out exclusively. That's all I can say at this point. Just wow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I STAND COMPLETELY CORRECTED!!!!!! I just spoke to AAC and they have ALL of my business from here on out exclusively. That's all I can say at this point. Just wow. </div></div>

and just why is that ?

blaster, you should make a thread about how aac did you right.

I was reading the thread and my first impression was your scope rail had come loose. My FNAR did it twice until I thread locked that bastard down, even the bottom rail came loose and the bipod comes loose now too.

Glad they hooked you up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I STAND COMPLETELY CORRECTED!!!!!! I just spoke to AAC and they have ALL of my business from here on out exclusively. That's all I can say at this point. Just wow. </div></div>

What happened to your statement that all of their cans, especially the QD ones are crap? Just wondering why they would have all of your future business just because of good customer support if you think their products suck.

And for the record, I don't care one way or the other, I'm not a "hater" or a "fanboy," just thought the flip flop was interesting.