• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC Cyclone vs Thunderbeast 30P-1

Flyingbullseye

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2010
    Michigan
    So I've recently added the 30P-1 to the list that I'm looking at but I'm trying to get a feel for the difference in cost/performance between these 2 cans. Both are identical in physical dimensions and the thunderbeast is about 5oz lighter but costs an additional $350. The biggest plus towards the 30P-1 is it has better CS but how often would either need it?

All that I have found tells me that the thunderbeast is designed for long range precision/accuracy and owners of the cyclone basically say the same thing in their experience with the AAC offering.

So my question is if I go with the 30P-1 am I going to see a noticeable increase in accuracy and or added recoil/sound suppression over the cyclone?

(Generic Hide response) Thunderbeast rules, AAC drools!! (/Generic Hide response)

Seriously, though, I don't have any personal experience with either can. Sorry.

My cyclone is very quiet. Can't speak to accuracy yet. It's back at AAC getting looked at. Manufacturing defect resulted in a huge POI shifts.

I have yet to hear a better sounding .30 caliber can than the Thunder Beast 30P-1 or 30BA. I run the 338BA, 30BA, and 30BAS. None of them have any adverse effect on accuracy. Before becoming an FFL, I had a terrible experience with AAC. My AAC M4-2000 is the only NFA item that I regret purchasing.

I personally use my 30BA on my DTA srs rifle when I compete. I used the 30BA in my last match in July, that was put on by Desert Tech. I had already put the rifle away, before they announced the results and forgot to put the suppressor back on for my pic with Nick Young (owner of Desert Tech)

Rob Wilkinson: King of Powder Keg | Com-Link

I happen to have a few Thunder Beast 30P-1 and 30BA suppressors in stock now. PM me if you would like a price.

- Rob

Shooting them side by side (on different rifles, so that may have come into play) the Cyclone sounds slightly quieter than the TBAC. That being said, I have a TTF Archangel I got during their group buy that is very similar in performance/weight to the TBAC, and will be getting a TBAC soon as well. I'd say save up the money and get the lighter can. I do not regret getting the Cyclone at all. It worked very well on my precision rifle and now stays on my 300 BLK SBR, for which it is a great fit. HOWEVER, on the end of a precision rifle which is already muzzle heavy, the weight difference is noticeable.

The aac is stainless steel and inconel and the thunderbeast is ti. There is a big difference in weight and how they heat up and cool down depending on the metal used. The ti heats up fast but also cools fast. Just depends on money I guess. For me I'd personally go after the tba or templar tac in archangel. They're a good sounding can also.

Xdeano

ddavis, how was the accuracy between the 30P-1 and the cyclone? How far have you taken both of them?

I'm just trying to make sure that if the margin of accuracy is nil to miniscule why pay the extra $350 to save only 5oz in weight. On the other hand if its noticeable it'd be worth the extra cost. Truly as far as weight goes I doubt I'd notice the extra 5oz on a 16.5lb rifle so the accuracy and cost becomes the most important quality then sound/recoil reduction second.

Something to note on weight. 5oz is 5oz if your packing it around, not a huge deal. stick that 5oz on the end of a barrel 3' from your shoulder, it's acting/feels like 15oz. The further out the weight, the heavier it acts/feels.

$350 premium for buying a proven, top of the line suppressor, that is lighter, and backed by some of the best customer service you are going to find is a no brainier. Most likely you won't have any issue with your suppressor, and if you do it's probably going to be from something you or one of your buddies did. Factor in the cost of the suppressor, the stamp, the wait time it takes, that reassurance that the guys at TBAC are going to do everything they can to get your suppressor fixed and back in your hands as fat as possible, will feel a lot more valuable than the $350 it cost you.

Just my $.02 though. That's why I bought a 30ba, to replace my AAC SDN-6.

Something to note on weight. 5oz is 5oz if your packing it around, not a huge deal. stick that 5oz on the end of a barrel 3' from your shoulder, it's acting/feels like 15oz. The further out the weight, the heavier it acts/feels.

$350 premium for buying a proven, top of the line suppressor, that is lighter, and backed by some of the best customer service you are going to find is a no brainier. Most likely you won't have any issue with your suppressor, and if you do it's probably going to be from something you or one of your buddies did. Factor in the cost of the suppressor, the stamp, the wait time it takes, that reassurance that the guys at TBAC are going to do everything they can to get your suppressor fixed and back in your hands as fat as possible, will feel a lot more valuable than the $350 it cost you.

Just my $.02 though. That's why I bought a 30ba, to replace my AAC SDN-6.

Good point about the location of the weight, that never occured to me. I just was looking at weight is weight. Its so simple but never crossed my mind. This is becoming a much more difficult decision than I had anticipated.

Good point about the location of the weight, that never occured to me. I just was looking at weight is weight. Its so simple but never crossed my mind. This is becoming a much more difficult decision than I had anticipated.

Adding the additional weight to a long rifle can make a huge difference in how it handles. I prefer titanium suppressors for my Precision rifles, and will run with heavier cans on my semi auto harder use rifles. On my semi auto 16" + barreled suppressed rifles, I will often run a heavier stock (i.e. magpul UBR) to help balance out the weight being added to the muzzle of the rifle.

The 30P-1 is worth the additional cost. PM me for a price, it may be less than you think.

Good shooting!

Thanks Zak. But I should be thanking you for making such a great can that works so well, especially for precision rifle shooting. I have played with many other brands and I would not run anything but a Thunder Beast on my comp gun.

The Cyclone is one AAC can I'd have no issue owning if all I wanted was a stainless direct thread on can, but I'd say there is cheaper out there with similar performance if I didn't mind lugging the steel can around. I've got a stainless direct thread 30 cal can and you know where it sits now? In the safe, it never leaves because I always go for the lighter weight of the Thunderbeast. I like the TBAC 30 cal cans a lot, they are very well made and the level of support that Zak Smith and others at TBAC give to our niche of the shooting community is huge. The quality and level of service of TBAC is what makes them a hide favorite.

My father has an AAC Cyclone. It is ridiculously quiet on a 300 blackout hand rifle shooting 208 gr. AMAX subs. It makes my Surefire SOCOM762-RC sound broken when shot next to each other.

However, once we fired some 168 gr. Smk loads through our LMT rifles, they sounded a lot more similar. I think there is a LOT to be said for what pressure wave a specific suppressor was designed for.

I'm excited to see how my TBAC CB9 and Saker 7.62 compare to the cyclone once they are freed from jail.

Op, you really can't go wrong with either. My dad bought the cyclone because he isn't a precision rifle shooter with a 8k+ rig, who is worried about a change in POI if he has to take the can off during a match. He just wanted a can to shoot 300 blk in the backyard, and use the cyclone for stand hunting.

FWIW, I plan on using my Surefire on my DMR/precision oriented LMT (16" 308 CL). The TBAC will be used on all bolt actions as well as on the LMT when using the 6.5 creedmoor barrel,and when shooting subsonic 300 blk in the backyard. The Saker was an impulse buy to have a "beater" can for carbine/DMR classes or if I ever try the 13.5" LMT barrel.

Is the CB9 similar to the 30P-1 with the compact brake option? does the brake affect long range performance?

I've got an AAC SDN6 sitting in jail right now. Maybe I'll have it out before christmas.

That being said, if thunderbeast had a line of good QD Flash Hiders for their cans, I would have spent the extra money to go that route.

I recently acquired my AAC Cyclone from jail and its awesome considering the cost. I've shot the Tbac, Surefire, and AAC. The AAC was the most quiet by far, it was noticeable to every one on the range that day.

As far as weight, my gun was already a 16.5lb gun so 5oz didn't really make a difference to me. I did have a large poi shift with mine but its repeatable and I now shoot suppressed 99% of the time so the poi shift is not an issue for me. Accuracy improve slightly, at least that's my perception. My gun recoils less and the suppression helps with the dreaded recoil anticipation. My 6.5 now recoils like a pellet gun :)

I really love the AAC Cyclone, and I'm happy I didn't spend the extra dough on something else. As far as AAC CS, my experience has been extremely positive when needing to return or exchange something.

Is the CB9 similar to the 30P-1 with the compact brake option? does the brake affect long range performance?

They are very similar and share the same baffle stack, possibly with some slight changes I'm sure. Essentially it is the newer version of the 30BA, so yes they are very similar. And no the brake does not affect long range performance. TBAC's brake attach mounting system is solid and the benefit is you get to have a brake on your rifle for any shooting you do without the can.

TBAC's brake attach mounting system is solid and the benefit is you get to have a brake on your rifle for any shooting you do without the can.

I like that option quite a bit, since I already have JP and Titan comps on a our rifles. Makes sense for our use.

I went the brake attach route for my personal rifles, but it was due to multiple rifles having different thread pitches (i.e 3/4 X 24, 5/8 X 24, 18 x 1, etc.). After having the suppressor, I only shoot suppressed. Having a brake on each rifle is nice, but once you have a suppressor, you will not want to be shooting without one.

I think the CB brakes look great. I have my rifles set up with the BA brakes. It allows me to run my 338 BA, 30 BA, and 30 BAS across the multiple rifle platforms that I use. The 338 can from thunder beast is still the BA style brake, so if you want modularity with a 338 BA, you'll want to go with BA mounts instead of the new CB.

For those that have not tried one yet, the 338 BA suppresses smaller calibers very well. My 338 BA suppressed my .260 even better than my 30 BA and that is saying something. If you have a 338 rifle and want one suppresser to suppresses you other precision rifle calibers, the 338BA will do it.

If all your rifles share the same thread pitch, I don't see any reason why not to go with a 30 P-1.

Last edited:
    Back when I bought my 30 cal can it was before Thunder Beast so the choice between the Cyclone and the SWR Omega and I went with the Omega.
    If I were to choose today I would go with the company that is active in long range shooting and has a better track record for quality and customer service in the shooting community.
    The extra money is well invested in a privately owned company that will personally deal with any issues that arise.

If I were to choose today I would go with the company that is active in long range shooting and has a better track record for quality and customer service in the shooting community.
    The extra money is well invested in a privately owned company that will personally deal with any issues that arise.
    Excellent points. The TBAC crew has an exemplary customer service record and the fact that they are active in competition shows their dedication to the continuous improvement of the line.

Chris

I cut out some fried chicken, potato salad, donuts, etc., did a few pushups and sit ups and got the few ounce heavier AAC Cyclone.
    Get two pounds off your lard ass and you can carry an extra few ounces of suppressor.

I have a cyclone and have nothing but good things to say about it. Very quiet, 2 moa repeatable shift, and very accurate. Have fired many a sub .5 moa 5 shot group with it on my Kampfeld custom .308. It also spends some time on my SBR blackout, and makes subsonic rounds ridiculously quiet. I believe it is a great value for the money.

ddavis, how was the accuracy between the 30P-1 and the cyclone? How far have you taken both of them?

I'm just trying to make sure that if the margin of accuracy is nil to miniscule why pay the extra $350 to save only 5oz in weight. On the other hand if its noticeable it'd be worth the extra cost. Truly as far as weight goes I doubt I'd notice the extra 5oz on a 16.5lb rifle so the accuracy and cost becomes the most important quality then sound/recoil reduction second.

No accuracy difference between them. One thing I will bring up that a few others have hinted at is the attachment method. I REALLY like brake attach. Not the QD crap that has accuracy issues but the TBAC and TTF method that uses a brake with an angled shoulder to lock the can on. When you are shooting unsuppressed (which you will likely not do often) or more importantly transporting the rifle, your rifle threads are protected. The threads on the brake are in a position where it would be difficult to damage them.

Short answer, the Cycle is good for multi-purpose semi-auto and precision rifle use and is quiet and accurate. For a little more, and if you are just using it on a precision rifle, I'd go with one of the Ti brake attach cans.

I have a cyclone and have nothing but good things to say about it. Very quiet, 2 moa repeatable shift, and very accurate. Have fired many a sub .5 moa 5 shot group with it on my Kampfeld custom .308. It also spends some time on my SBR blackout, and makes subsonic rounds ridiculously quiet. I believe it is a great value for the money.

2 moa repeatable shift? WTF? Don't mean to pick on ya but really nothing BUT good things to say about it other than the 2 moa repeatable shift? If you are going the distance to own a suppressor just do it right. My 30 p-1 has no poi shift, NO loss in velocity, same dope out to 1k. For 350$ is it worth explaining that you waited 6 to 9 months for something that isn't perfect? in todays economics that's about one trip to the grocery store or a couple of tanks of gas.

I have both and can honestly say there is no difference in accuracy between the two. Sounds the same to my ear as well. The cyclone does feel heavier. Never weighed them, but it feels more than 5 ounces. The cyclone is also not rated for 300wm.I recently picked up a Harvester, and its the best of both worlds. Light, inexpensive, repeatable minor poi shift, and you can change thread inserts if you have rifles with different threads. My new pick over the cyclone. If you need a titanium can, then TBAC all the way

I have both and can honestly say there is no difference in accuracy between the two. Sounds the same to my ear as well. The cyclone does feel heavier. Never weighed them, but it feels more than 5 ounces. The cyclone is also not rated for 300wm.I recently picked up a Harvester, and its the best of both worlds. Light, inexpensive, repeatable minor poi shift, and you can change thread inserts if you have rifles with different threads. My new pick over the cyclone. If you need a titanium can, then TBAC all the way

How does the Harvester stack up in terms of dB reduction. Is it any louder to your ear than the other two?

On a .308 I cannot tell any difference. Havent tried it on any other calibers. Gonna check the Harvester against 30p1 on a 300wm soon.

2 moa repeatable shift? WTF? Don't mean to pick on ya but really nothing BUT good things to say about it other than the 2 moa repeatable shift? If you are going the distance to own a suppressor just do it right. My 30 p-1 has no poi shift, NO loss in velocity, same dope out to 1k. For 350$ is it worth explaining that you waited 6 to 9 months for something that isn't perfect? in todays economics that's about one trip to the grocery store or a couple of tanks of gas.

Of the 5 rifle cans I own, all have exhibited POI shift between 1 and 2 moa vs unsuppressed. Doesn't bother me as long as it is repeatable I guess. I very seldom shoot without it anyhow.