• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AB Mobile Important Update (Release Version 2.0+)

TacticalDillHole....I appreciate the reply and I looked again to see if that was the issue. I had the twist for the creedmore at 1 in 8.7 and at 430 yards it shows 8.5moa. If I change it to 1 in 8 then it goes to 8.75 as a example. Tried a clean install with no luck either.

I'm still trying to figure this out! Inside the drop down menu, I only see options for Calculate Distance, Get Look Angle and Acquire Atmosphere. I've been looking around and found some videos that show other options in this drop down...Get Target Azimuth, Station Atmosphere, and Atmosphere from Device. I see none of those. My menu does not scroll to see these other options. I cannot figure out how to load the atmosphere. In the Preferences panel, I do have 'Automatic Atmosphere' checked.

I'm using a Galaxy Tab A, not a phone. But it is connected to the internet. Will the program not run happy on this tablet?

Any idea?

Hey AbbyKatt, is your Galaxy tab not on a service contract with a mobile provider? I’m asking because I have a Galaxy Tab A tablet (the small, 7” diagonal model), I bought to use as a ballistic calculator. It is WiFi enabled but I didn’t want the expense of a service contract. The tablet gives me the same options you’re seeing when I press the 3 ellipses button. However, my cell phone, which obviously is on a service contract, provides the additional options you referenced seeing in other videos.

Hey AbbyKatt, is your Galaxy tab not on a service contract with a mobile provider? I’m asking because I have a Galaxy Tab A tablet (the small, 7” diagonal model), I bought to use as a ballistic calculator. It is WiFi enabled but I didn’t want the expense of a service contract. The tablet gives me the same options you’re seeing when I press the 3 ellipses button. However, my cell phone, which obviously is on a service contract, provides the additional options you referenced seeing in other videos.

EXACTLY! My Galaxy tab is WIFI only, no phone. So what do you do to update the atmosphere? Without mobile service, is AB 'crippled?' Doesn't seem right that a WIFI connection wouldn't be enough to populate the data.

Appreciate the help.

I have a Kestrel so that I input station pressure directly to AB. More electronics, batteries, etc. to lug around.

TacticalDillHole....I appreciate the reply and I looked again to see if that was the issue. I had the twist for the creedmore at 1 in 8.7 and at 430 yards it shows 8.5moa. If I change it to 1 in 8 then it goes to 8.75 as a example. Tried a clean install with no luck either.

Well, unless your MV is wrong I got nothing without seeing it. Hopefully Doc can help.

I set the Muzzle velocity at 2740 in the Creedmore but what is pissing me off is whatever is causing this is affecting all my rifles.

Ruggedtouch...Do you connect the Kestrel by Bluetooth to your Galaxy Tab? Does it update the atmosphere automatically?

i know it seems odd, but the kestrel does not talk to AB Mobile. it wont update the atmosphere. BUT, you understand that the 5700 elite is the same thing as AB mobile. SO if you use the kestrel Link app which IS UPDATED by the kestrel, you will get the exact same information.

Doc has mentioned in the past that the next AB update will have this capability. but thats not coming out till next year.

Last edited:
Ruggedtouch...Do you connect the Kestrel by Bluetooth to your Galaxy Tab? Does it update the atmosphere automatically?

Nope. I bought the lower end model Kestrel 4000 without Bluetooth. In hindsight, the Bluetooth connectivity would have been a nice feature to have.

i know it seems odd, but the kestrel does not talk to AB Mobile. it wont update the atmosphere. BUT, you understand that the 5700 elite is the same thing as AB mobile. SO if you use the kestrel Link app which IS UPDATED by the kestrel, you will get the exact same information.

TacticalDillhole...thanx for this information! So if I understand this correctly...one would use a Kestrel to get all the local atmospheric data. Using AB Mobile...that info would have to be entered manually to get your holds with that app. Using Kestrel Link app, the weather info is updated via Bluetooth and that app will calculate the holds.

And...in time...the hope/plan/dream is that everything will talk to everything...Android and iOs. Ahhhh...one can only dream.

Thanx!

30383138-0880-4A6D-8414-695A1EE91573.jpeg3C90AB16-A5CE-4638-A5BF-DB47EADDD4BB.jpeg
TacticalDillhole...thanx for this information! So if I understand this correctly...one would use a Kestrel to get all the local atmospheric data. Using AB Mobile...that info would have to be entered manually to get your holds with that app. Using Kestrel Link app, the weather info is updated via Bluetooth and that app will calculate the holds.

And...in time...the hope/plan/dream is that everything will talk to everything...Android and iOs. Ahhhh...one can only dream.

Thanx!

Close. The kestrel link app displays but the actual holds come from the kestrel. Here is my setup and how I use my kestrel. As you can see I use my iPad or my iPhone to display what is showing on the kestrel.

Last edited:

Close. The kestrel link app displays but the actual holds come from the kestrel. Here is my setup and how I use my kestrel. As you can see I use my iPad or my iPhone to display what is showing on the kestrel.

That’s a nice collection of gear, Tac.

Its overkill. I like toys. But my duaghter helps me spot and call the ranges so it helps that way.

Yes, Tac...you have a great set up! I really like seeing all the green scenery. Not too much of that in the southwest desert.

Thanx. I think I have a better understanding about how the parts all work together. I'm still disappointed that the AB version that doesn't run on a phone doesn't have a way to get the weather updates off a WIFI connection. So I guess that puts me at square one, again. Maybe I need to put that Kestrel higher on my shopping list...

Yes, Tac...you have a great set up! I really like seeing all the green scenery. Not too much of that in the southwest desert.

Thanx. I think I have a better understanding about how the parts all work together. I'm still disappointed that the AB version that doesn't run on a phone doesn't have a way to get the weather updates off a WIFI connection. So I guess that puts me at square one, again. Maybe I need to put that Kestrel higher on my shopping list...

It should get it from a WiFi connection. It would pull from a weather source based on your location I would think. That’s what mine does (although I NEVER use it that way as you have no idea where it’s getting the data from. Could be 30 miles away). Question is, does your tablet have gps so it knows where it is?

It should get it from a WiFi connection. It would pull from a weather source based on your location I would think. That’s what mine does (although I NEVER use it that way as you have no idea where it’s getting the data from. Could be 30 miles away). Question is, does your tablet have gps so it knows where it is?

Yes. The tablet does have GPS and knows where it is. I realize having a Kestrel in hand will give the best 'here I am' data... WIFI provided nearby station data (excluding wind) is better than nothing.

AB Mobile on my iPhone has a button to 'Load Station Atmosphere.' AB Mobile on my WIFI only Android tablet does not seem to have this option. Here in is my original question...why not? Or in another way...how can I make it do so?

I tried manually entering the BC and pulling from the library then checking the BC with what is on line. I actually have not idea what is wrong with this thing but I will continue to work on it.

Nope...same barrel twist as before. There is a major issue with AB and I even reloaded the App to make sure there was nothing skewed. All 11 rifles are way off in the trajectory as compared to other Apps. I will send them my dam phone if they don't believe it's an issue.

A lot of times when users see big issues with the elevation it has to do with the input "MV Variation" which should be between 0.2 - 3.0 depending on the powder being used.

Doc has mentioned in the past that the next AB update will have this capability. but thats not coming out till next year.

The Kestrel 4500 and Kestrel Elite will talk with the Android version of AB Mobile.

I always set the MV at 3 when is what I have it set out now. I am out of ideas on this one and it has become not useful. Good thing I have paper data and another program to use. For what it costs though I would think there would be some concern as to why I am having issues.

I always set the MV at 3 when is what I have it set out now. I am out of ideas on this one and it has become not useful. Good thing I have paper data and another program to use. For what it costs though I would think there would be some concern as to why I am having issues.

Seems high. I’m only at 2.1 using factory hornady on my 6.5.

When will you be coming out with Nexus ammo, 224 VK bullets and 6.5 PRC bullets in your database for AB Kestrel Link and AB Mobile?
Thanks

I have been using this BC for over a year now but once I installed the latest update the text size is about 1/2 of what it was and now the RANGE column is overlapped onto the TOF making is illegible, screenshot is attached and not sure how to get this resolved?

Attachments

• photo86674.png
    photo86674.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 43
I have been using this BC for over a year now but once I installed the latest update the text size is about 1/2 of what it was and now the RANGE column is overlapped onto the TOF making is illegible, screenshot is attached and not sure how to get this resolved?

The iPad issue is a known issue we are looking in to. It is in the development notes for the next round of updates.

Is there any plans to update the new ammo profile environmental settings to use DA instead of baro pressure and altitude?

Is there any plans to update the new ammo profile environmental settings to use DA instead of baro pressure and altitude?

DA is less accurate, and can actually be skewed to provide misleading results. Different combinations of Temp and Pressure can be used to create the same DA. It is best to use Station Pressure, and current Temp instead.

To continue my 'saga' played out in this thread last December...

I now have a Kestrel 5700 Elite that I pair with my Android tablet with Bluetooth. I like having the tablet due to its larger form and easier direct entry of multiple target ranges.

Anyhow...my device flow is first on the Kestrel, update my environment, then set the update to NO. Then I capture the target direction and wind direction/speed. Then, on the tablet, I connect to my Kestrel and Acquire Atmosphere from the Kestrel via Bluetooth.

My question is...why do I get different temperature readings? What I expect is that the temperature the Kestrel shows would be pushed to the tablet. But that is not always the case. And the whole Acquire Atmosphere process doesn't always happen as smoothly, or as quickly, as I would expect.

???

The Kestrel 4500 and Kestrel Elite will talk with the Android version of AB Mobile.

I would have to disagree with that (for the 4500 and for now at least) and say that it 'used to'. Using the: Acquire Atmosphere>'Acquire Atmosphere From...[Kestrel]' menu option results in an error, specifically:
Failed to connect to Bluetooth device: read failed, socket might [sic] closed or timeout, read ret:-1

Equipment Details:
Android (Google Pixel XL running V8.1.0, patch level 5 Feb 2018, Build OPM1.171019.016 - I can't correlate the Kestrel Bluetooth issue with any particular Android OS update)
AB Mobile is V2.1.1
The Kestrel is a 4500 purchased from Applied Ballistics, updatd to 4.93 via NK Bootloader with firmware from the AB site. Bootup displays 4.93, Bluetooth>Info>'Ver' displays 42A.477.37 and when in 'AB Mode', scrolling down to 'About' displays 'AB Kestrel Version 38'.

It's not a generic issue with the phones bluetooth itself from what I can see as bluetooth pairing, connection and data transfer to a PC, laptop, car, speaker and a couple of headphones, all works correctly.

I would have to disagree with that (for the 4500 and for now at least) and say that it 'used to'. Using the: Acquire Atmosphere>'Acquire Atmosphere From...[Kestrel]' menu option results in an error, specifically:
Failed to connect to Bluetooth device: read failed, socket might [sic] closed or timeout, read ret:-1

Equipment Details:
Android (Google Pixel XL running V8.1.0, patch level 5 Feb 2018, Build OPM1.171019.016 - I can't correlate the Kestrel Bluetooth issue with any particular Android OS update)
AB Mobile is V2.1.1
The Kestrel is a 4500 purchased from Applied Ballistics, updatd to 4.93 via NK Bootloader with firmware from the AB site. Bootup displays 4.93, Bluetooth>Info>'Ver' displays 42A.477.37 and when in 'AB Mode', scrolling down to 'About' displays 'AB Kestrel Version 38'.

It's not a generic issue with the phones bluetooth itself from what I can see as bluetooth pairing, connection and data transfer to a PC, laptop, car, speaker and a couple of headphones, all works correctly.

It is a Google Pixel thing. Google Pixel Bluetooth problems make up an overwhelming majority of Bluetooth issues. But not just for us, for many many people and products. https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-bluetooth-issues-android-8-1-oreo-823249/ That phone has a serious Bluetooth compatability problem. In Gen 1 and Gen 2. The phone will even turn Bluetooth off (with the symbol indicating it is on) on its own. For no reason.

To continue my 'saga' played out in this thread last December...

I now have a Kestrel 5700 Elite that I pair with my Android tablet with Bluetooth. I like having the tablet due to its larger form and easier direct entry of multiple target ranges.

Anyhow...my device flow is first on the Kestrel, update my environment, then set the update to NO. Then I capture the target direction and wind direction/speed. Then, on the tablet, I connect to my Kestrel and Acquire Atmosphere from the Kestrel via Bluetooth.

My question is...why do I get different temperature readings? What I expect is that the temperature the Kestrel shows would be pushed to the tablet. But that is not always the case. And the whole Acquire Atmosphere process doesn't always happen as smoothly, or as quickly, as I would expect.

???

When using the device with Bluetooth you do not need to turn atmospherics off. I wouldn't unless you have some strange artificial heating/cooling going on. You should be getting the same temperature that it reads on the display, in the device. What Firmware are you on?

When using the device with Bluetooth you do not need to turn atmospherics off. I wouldn't unless you have some strange artificial heating/cooling going on. You should be getting the same temperature that it reads on the display, in the device. What Firmware are you on?

Doc, are you aware that you can't get a wind solution between 12 and 1 o'clock? It will put in a decimal equivilant next to wind angle but when you hit single shot it says wind angle must be between 1 and 12 o'clock. Just wanted to make it known if it hasn't been previously.

Last edited:

The Kestrel 5700AB Elite is running 1.15. The tablet is a Galaxy Tab A, running Android 7.1.1.

OK, so I won't bother to turn the Environment to NO on the Kestrel. But I do assume I would need to 'Acquire Atmosphere' on the tablet periodically to update the tablet, correct?

But if the data isn't the same... the tablet, can't be trusted...

The Kestrel 5700AB Elite is running 1.15. The tablet is a Galaxy Tab A, running Android 7.1.1.

OK, so I won't bother to turn the Environment to NO on the Kestrel. But I do assume I would need to 'Acquire Atmosphere' on the tablet periodically to update the tablet, correct?

But if the data isn't the same... the tablet, can't be trusted...

If the data isn't the same as? What the Kestrel Says or what a local weather station says?

Yes, you will need to update atmosphere from time to time.

If the data isn't the same as? What the Kestrel Says or what a local weather station says?

I'm asking why, after connecting the Kestrel to the tablet and Acquiring Atmosphere from the Kestrel on the tablet, the environment data on the Kestrel and the tablet aren't the same. I am selecting the Kestrel in the Acquire Atmosphere menu.

I'm asking why, after connecting the Kestrel to the tablet and Acquiring Atmosphere from the Kestrel on the tablet, the environment data on the Kestrel and the tablet aren't the same. I am selecting the Kestrel in the Acquire Atmosphere menu.

How far off is it? Is this immediately after the sync pulls the data, or is it some time later? Say 10 minutes?

How far off is it? Is this immediately after the sync pulls the data, or is it some time later? Say 10 minutes?

It is immediately. I watch the tablet to see when the sync with the Kestrel completes. It seems to take longer than expected. Sometimes I need to 'Acquire Atmosphere' a second time. Sometimes, for example, the temperature is 5-10+ degrees different. It's just that as soon as the sync with the Kestrel completes, I would expect that the two devices would say the exact same thing.

Can AB Mobile aquire atmospherics from any Bluetooth Kestrel?

I just purchased a Kestrel 5500AG Link because I needed one for agricultural spraying, and of course I couldn't get one that will do both the ag logging, and ballistics and I really don't want to have to buy 2. Since I already use AB Mobile I thought I could atleast pull the atmospherics from it but can't seem to get it to aquire them.

Galaxy S5 Android 6.0.1
Kestrel 5500AGL FW 1.15

It is paired and I can see the atmospherics on my phone in Kestrel Link app. I go into AB Mobile and in rifle screen I hit dot menu and configure kestrel. Mine appears and I select it. Move to environmental page and select aquire atmospherics, check kestrel but it never aquires it. In the kestrel Bluetooth page it changes from available to connected when I check kestrel from the aquire atmospherics menu, and stop aquiring continues in the drop down menu but none of the environmentals change and eventually the kestrel changes from connected back to available.

Could I need the kestrel link ballistics to link it to AB Mobile even though I wouldnt need the rifle programing?

Can AB Mobile aquire atmospherics from any Bluetooth Kestrel?

It is paired and I can see the atmospherics on my phone in Kestrel Link app. I go into AB Mobile and in rifle screen I hit dot menu and configure kestrel. Mine appears and I select it. Move to environmental page and select aquire atmospherics, check kestrel but it never aquires it. In the kestrel Bluetooth page it changes from available to connected when I check kestrel from the aquire atmospherics menu, and stop aquiring continues in the drop down menu but none of the environmentals change and eventually the kestrel changes from connected back to available.

These are the same steps I go through to link my Kestrel to my Galaxy tablet. Often I need to 'Acquire Atmospherics' multiple times before it actually links up and updates the environment. Sometimes I back all the way out and try again. Eventually, things to sync up.

These are the same steps I go through to link my Kestrel to my Galaxy tablet. Often I need to 'Acquire Atmospherics' multiple times before it actually links up and updates the environment. Sometimes I back all the way out and try again. Eventually, things to sync up.
No such luck here. Even tried the kestrel link ballistics app and it cant even find the kestrel I have to try that. So I guess atleast I have a kestrel to give me good environmentals and put them in by hand. I'm not gonna buy another slightly different kestrel just to put them in automatically.

Hope this helps the last few posts looking to get AB fed Atmo from a K5700

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/posts/6941735/
Yep I had seen your thread and followed your steps to get yours to work but mine still wont. Only thing I can come up with is that it is because my Kestrel is a 5500AG and not a ballistics version.

Funny thing is, I just got the Hornady 4dof app to see if it would connect and my Kestrel works fine with it. Don't have to have kestrel link app or kestrel link ballistics app open to make it work. Just opened 4d0f to general and pair meter, finds it, select it and it starts updating.....

Reactions: V-Ref
I didn't read above...iPhone or Droid

I see now...Droid.

Contact Hornady, tell them the bullet(s) you want added...feedback is a driver of new bullet additions.

Reactions: chadrp
I didn't read above...iPhone or Droid

I see now...Droid.

Contact Hornady, tell them the bullet(s) you want added...feedback is a driver of new bullet additions.
Ya older Droid so I probably should update before long but I'd rather spend money on shooting lol.

Yep, since I downloaded the 4dof, shoot factory 140 eldm,and works with my Kestrel, I guess i just as well set it up and see how it compares. Thanks

Reactions: V-Ref