• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? about professional marksmen training center

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
I was watching Shooting Gallery on the Outdoor Chanel and the were talking about long range precision manksmenship.
they had Jon Weiler, the President/Owner of Professional Marksmen on there talking about the fundumnetals of longrange shooting and primarily from the prone. I'm hoping that the constraints of a TV program or the fact that most people in that line of work charge for that info influinced him into the things he said. After being exposed to Rifles Only online training stuff, this just looked way out in left field and Mr. Weiler didn't realy come across as professional sounding as someone with that kinda knowlage should. Again, I have no idea the caliber of his courses or of his knowlage but thought I would ask to see if any of you have heard of him and his school.

Link to his school.
http://www.professionalmarksmen.com/index.phpp

Re: ? about professional marksmen training center

i have heard of him briefly , and never got a chance to meet him

but he worked for Barrett firearms for a period of time, doing various .50 cal training courses, etc., and was featured in several magazines as well -

there is a range close to me that Barrett uses from time to time, and Mr. Weiler and his then partner , Mr. Pete Foras(sp?) both made a break from Barrett firearms manufacturing to do their own consulting, teaching etc.,

since then , i think Mr. Weiler has moved to Idaho . . .

that is all i know

there would be someone on here that would probably know Mr. Weiler in by reputation or personally -

whether you could get them to respond would be another matter

as far as i know , Mr. Weiler is the real deal , sniper qualified , etc.,

Mr. Weiler was in 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment 82nd Airborne Div. During the same time I was in Iraq in 2003 with the same unit.

He was part of a Sniper Team in 2nd or 3rd Batt. I forget, sorry. I was in 1/325 AIR during the same time in a line PLT.

I know for a fact that all three of our Sniper platoons in the unit had alot to do during our 14 month deployment.

So as far as real deal, YES SIR!!!!!!!

As far as what is taught at his school, I have no idea.

John

I don't think the question is about his service, but about his formal training.

It's no surprise that many units inside the military seek outside training simply because the Army (Military) is not known for providing solid instruction across the board. The better units opt for outside instruction on everything from handgun to precision rifle for a reason. So just having served, and deployed as a sniper, doesn't necessarily mean you are adept at best practices. Unfortunately all military training is not created equal and depending on the month, or year of your training you may have been given less than reliable information. Doesn't mean you couldn't be successful during a deployment, just means, your individual success was not based on the level of instruction you received but your own ability to adapt to conditions.

There is a reason myths grow within the shooting community, individuals take their own random experiences and if it jives with something they heard, it becomes fact. It's sort of the way things work until something breaks the cycle for a short while. Then you'll find the next guy down the road who starts it up again.

I'm not saying this is the case, I don't know anything about the guy, but if he only had basic instruction then a lengthy series of deployments you can't necessarily rely on the effectiveness of the information he initially received.

I saw the episode of Shooting Gallery about LR which introdued me to "Professional Marksmen". What a great name for a marksmanship training enity. I wish I thought of it. I like the logo on the ball cap too.

Regarding paid training from any enity, the market will ultimately decide what fate the service provider will come to realize, it's the American way. Competition in any genre of service is good.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jon Weiler, and he made a very positive impression. He is the real deal, and has a school up in South Dakota I believe.

Last I talked to him, he was teaching primarily military units, and doing contract work for the military. I have not attended his school, however I would like to at some point in the future. Add to list...

I have never heard anything negative about him, nor have I seen any red flags in my conversations with him in regards to training and teaching.