• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Acceptable red dot accuracy?

springerjb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Ephraim, UT
So what type of accuracy should I expect from a red dot without magnification?

I picked up a Vortex Strikefire (red only, brighter version) and mounted it on a lower end but very solid Del-Ton AR. I'm shooting softball sized 10-15 round groups at 100 yards (with the occasional flyer that I generally blame on cheap/PMC ammo and the 95 degree heat and 700% humidity we are experiencing in NC lately...without gloves, grip is an issue right now). With a 4 MOA dot this seems like reasonable performance. Thoughts?

So far I'm pleased with the Strifire (for the price). The dot could be a bit crisper but it's plenty bright and the doubler and mount that are included don't suck.

Re: Acceptable red dot accuracy?

A 4 moa dot will get you 4 moa precision. Sounds about right on the soft ball sized groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 4 moa dot will get you 4 moa precision. Sounds about right on the soft ball sized groups. </div></div>

Depends on how well you can see your target; on a 6" black bull against white background, I'd guess you could get sub-moa hold/aiming error with that 4 moa dot. On the other hand, something smaller than the dot might give up to 2 moa aiming error (half of the 4 moa). For examp0le, if you could see/aim at a quarter, dot would cover unless at the edge of the dot. so you could be plus/minus 2 moa at the edges.

It all depends on how well the sighting system relates to the target. I definitely choose my targets based on the sights I need to sight in - generally either a 5-6" black bull @ 100 for dots and irons, or orange diamonds/crosshair targets for scopes.

Depending on what you used for a target, you could probably give much of that softball to the rifle/ammo combo.

Just the way I see it,

Bill

You are doing fine. Red dots are designed to shoot bad guys very quickly. All I want from them is A zone on an ISPC target or center mass on a steel Silhouette. With the dot turned down you many surprise yourself out to 300-400 yards from a stable position using hold over. If you want precision you have the wrong site. I use an Aimpoint but my next one will be a Strikefire. I used a borrowed one and like it. They are also alot of fun when the Jackrabbit population gets out of hand.

I've been looking at those Strikefires, they look very well built (as everything Vortex) and the price is amazing. Interested to see how you gage it, let us know...

Here's a trick, don't zero the rifle so the point of impact is at the center of the dot. Instead, zero it so the point of impact occurs at the 12 o'clock position on the dot. Of course this becomes a factor of how good your eyes are. This is a trick USPSA shooters use when running a large 8 moa dot.

I do the same thing with my Aimpoint. Call it a "6 o'clock" hold. Just like with irons, holding underneath allows you to see the whole target and place the aiming point much more precisely.

Many good points. Very helpful guys.

I don't know that I'm "testing" anything in particular. Just trying to get a feel if I'm getting what I should out of this. I realize there are a lot of variables (me being the biggest and least reliable). I'm not looking to bench rest the thing and try to run 5 different types of match ammo through it to eliminate variables. I don't expect precision out of this set up, but I do expect reliability and repeatability. The dot has definitely made follow-up shots much faster with about the same accuracy compared to iron sights. I'm gathering that is generally the point of a red dot (without magnification).

Thank for the tip about a 6 o'clock hold. I'm definitely going to give that a try. Seeing some of my targets is definitely an issue depending on target size and distance.

Before I decided how accuratly he red dot was allowing you to shoot I get some decent ammo like Federaral GM and see how well you do. Then decide if your getting acceptable accuracy. Some of the above tips ar very useful with red dot. I use the 6:00 Oclock hold.

the strike fire is a pretty tough optic and a good bargin for the money. a couple of months ago I run mine on my 458 socom and shot a little over 500 rounds over the course of a month to try and shake loose or destroy the sight and it held up like a champ. I have the red and green first generation and depending on what gun I have it mounted on 3-5 inch groups at 100 yds is pretty average and acceptable for me. I am considering putting it back on my 458 socom for deer season since where I hunt a shot over 100 yds would be very rare.