• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Accessories make the outfit...

Attachments

• 1557161979428.png
    1557161979428.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 28
Trade up...Lots of girls out there that look good in/out of whatever...AND they LIKE guns!
Stripped and Strapped.jpg
Howdy.jpg
I think I am in Love.jpg

Trade up...Lots of girls out there that look good in/out of whatever...AND they LIKE guns!
Oh, she likes guns. She wants to go to Oaktree Gun Club to rent guns to select her personal home defense handgun.

It's the expense of it all. We are in the middle of spawning, and it's pricey (popped the first kid a year ago, working on #2, likely stop at #3).

She is also totally on board with me teaching them to shoot at 5 or 6 years old. (.22LR, not a 6.5CM. :p)

Reactions: demolitionman
Side note: I just noticed I got a "Belligerents" tag under my name. What does that mean?

Also, why do I have "Minuteman" there too? As my wife can attest, I am NOT a minute man (10-20 seconds, top)

Side note: I just noticed I got a "Belligerents" tag under my name. What does that mean?

Also, why do I have "Minuteman" there too? As my wife can attest, I am NOT a minute man (10-20 seconds, top)
Belligerents means you have 100 posts. Minuteman means you don't; I am not sure why some have both.

I mean...you cant just mention this and move on with your day.

What is this shit? Are we too uncivilized to post pictures anymore?
My apologies. I posted this in another thread when I was similarly called out.

Envy me boys. (And maybe a few of the ladies out there). This is Mrs. Joelinux:

Scope mount, buy the best...

Near Alpha Mount. You can have it custom made to the hieght and slope you need, and will cost less than you'd think.

The Near Alpha Mount is made out of Titanium Alloy, and is designed for high recoil rifles.

^^^^
And make sure they look similar enough that she won't notice. Gotta learn all the tricks in this game bud.
My wife has eyes like a 3rd base coach. She commented when I changed the sights on my H&K USP .45 to Trijicon.

Kind of... California Tactical Academy has a 1 Mile target. Past that, I have a friend with a private range we're going to use eventually. I think his goes out to 2400 yards.

Oh, she likes guns. She wants to go to Oaktree Gun Club to rent guns to select her personal home defense handgun.

It's the expense of it all. We are in the middle of spawning, and it's pricey (popped the first kid a year ago, working on #2, likely stop at #3).

She is also totally on board with me teaching them to shoot at 5 or 6 years old. (.22LR, not a 6.5CM. :p)

Didn’t even realize Oaktree rents guns. Good to know. If you’re interested, there’s PRS matches out by Temecula every month

You took the words right out of my mouth.

How often will the OP be shooting ELR?
It's not that I *am* currently, it's that I want the equipment to scale when I do. As I said in the OP, right now I'm getting a 6.5CM, and learning to shoot at 1000 yards.

Once I can do that, I'm moving up to a .375CT/.416B, and the only thing I want to swap out is the rifle, if possible.
Didn’t even realize Oaktree rents guns. Good to know. If you’re interested, there’s PRS matches out by Temecula every month
OOOO! Where at?

@joelinux

I have a little different perspective, if you want to shoot a cal like 375/416 you are going to need to have 2 rifles. You won't be able to keep the 375/416 in ammo or barrels for any amount of shooting to keep up with the fundamentals to shoot at ELR distances.

You will save money by buying a second rifle. It would be easily laid out in an excel spread sheet.

Also selling the RPR with a burnt barrel (2-3k rounds down the barrel) will net you nothing in resale.

Might be worth trying to explain that to the biddy.

@joelinux

I have a little different perspective, if you want to shoot a cal like 375/416 you are going to need to have 2 rifles. You won't be able to keep the 375/416 in ammo or barrels for any amount of shooting to keep up with the fundamentals to shoot at ELR distances.

You will save money by buying a second rifle. It would be easily laid out in an excel spread sheet.

Also selling the RPR with a burnt barrel (2-3k rounds down the barrel) will net you nothing in resale.

Might be worth trying to explain that to the biddy.
*shrug* I can be right, or I can be happy. Them's the rules.

Or you can explain the position and show that it is more fiscally responsible.
Yeah. That argument isn't going to fly. Even if I had graphs and charts with pretty colors.

I need to pick my battles. This one would trade too much relationship capital without much chance of success. She's pretty set on it.

I had a similar issue, induced by university studies, new children etc. I solved it by building my wife an exact copy of my rifle, and made it a “lightweight” version of it. It is now my hunting rifle.

It's not that I *am* currently, it's that I want the equipment to scale when I do. As I said in the OP, right now I'm getting a 6.5CM, and learning to shoot at 1000 yards.

Once I can do that, I'm moving up to a .375CT/.416B, and the only thing I want to swap out is the rifle, if possible.

OOOO! Where at?

I didn't ask that question. The question I asked is how far is the nearest place where you will be able to shoot ELR....

I didn't ask that question. The question I asked is how far is the nearest place where you will be able to shoot ELR....
Oh! Sorry..Mother's Day stuff going on...got distracted. About an hour.

Seems like you really got a good one. Here is the thing; most rifles can be switch barrel set up in some form these days. Even if you end up only using the Remage system on a 700 it is ok. I would really try to get something like an AI, as has already been said. That way you are keeping everything but the barrel and just switching that out. Will probably be easier to sell to the wife. Whatever you do, make sure to get something in a long action. That gives you many more caliber options.

Someone mentioned a shooting mat. The best mat I have found that is cheap and easy to pack along is a milsurp wool blanket. Get one of the thick ones that hasn't been worn thin yet.

Smart guy you are. She sounds pretty cool and if you have found one who is cool with you spending money on this stuff even when money is tight, even if you can only afford one rifle, you are very wise to keep in her good graces.

Seems like you really got a good one. Here is the thing; most rifles can be switch barrel set up in some form these days. Even if you end up only using the Remage system on a 700 it is ok. I would really try to get something like an AI, as has already been said. That way you are keeping everything but the barrel and just switching that out. Will probably be easier to sell to the wife. Whatever you do, make sure to get something in a long action. That gives you many more caliber options.

Someone mentioned a shooting mat. The best mat I have found that is cheap and easy to pack along is a milsurp wool blanket. Get one of the thick ones that hasn't been worn thin yet.

Smart guy you are. She sounds pretty cool and if you have found one who is cool with you spending money on this stuff even when money is tight, even if you can only afford one rifle, you are very wise to keep in her good graces.
I can't find the .416B or .375CT for the 700. Do you have a link?

AI also doesn't have the option to move up to the calibers I'm looking for, unless you know something I don't.

She's the best. I think she's going to take to her eventual handgun pretty quickly.

I know that you can get the 700 in 338L or 338 Edge but if you want something bigger you will have to ask other folks on this forum as I am not familiar with the bigger stuff.

OOOO! Where at?

Pala. San Diego Precision Rifle Club

Maybe I missed it. What is the ELR range you will be able to shoot? Like how many yards?
California tactical academy for up to 1 mile, then a friend has a 2200 yard private property.

California tactical academy for up to 1 mile, then a friend has a 2200 yard private property.

At 2200 yards you don't really need to move to the 375/416. A 300 Norma or 7-300 PRC will do just fine with that kind of range and doesn't require the huge bolt face and round cost.

At 2200 yards you don't really need to move to the 375/416. A 300 Norma or 7-300 PRC will do just fine with that kind of range and doesn't require the huge bolt face and round cost.
Eventually, I want to move up to something longer range. I'm going into a land deal with some friends, and part of it will be a 3600 yard range. This is just in the immediate 5-7 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu
Eventually, I want to move up to something longer range. I'm going into a land deal with some friends, and part of it will be a 3600 yard range. This is just in the immediate 5-7 years.

Ok, how many rounds do you think you will shoot a year at ELR ranges? I ask because I think you are being unrealistic in your assumptions and kinda need to come to terms. In order to really be proficient in shooting ELR you really need to be rock solid in fundamentals. The only way to be rock solid in fundamentals is repetition and the amount of rounds you would have to send down range at ELR distances would so far outweigh the cost of a second rifle in a cheaper to shoot caliber. Add into that fact misses at ELR range can be directly related to internal ballistics or environmentals that if you aren't rock solid in fundamentals that you will never know that you are messing up and chalk up misses to stuff that are outside your control when it really was you. You find out if your fundamentals are good at distances where those things don't affect the outcome (1-200 yards). To practice this you would be spending 50-150 dollars a range session in ammo with an ELR caliber to shoot a gun that has no business being shot at those distances.

Reactions: SRSDriver
If you are going for a nice scope, nice rings make sense but what fits an RPR might not be what fits your next rifle.

Something that I've wanted to try but have not yet is Burris XTR Signature rings. It has plastic inserts which won't mar your scope and will allow you to give it slope if you have a flat base.

They should probably retain some value if you treat them right.

I question the utility of spotting scopes when you move to ELR, a long range target camera system might be a better investment than buying a fancy spotting scope.

I have a cheap telescope I'm using for spotting (it's upgraded with a nice erecting prism and a binoviewer). It does a pretty good job but at a mile+, I think a camera system might be better. If you're going to go that way eventually, a budget spotter might serve your purposes for shorter distance.

Technology improves rapidly so waiting on a target camera might be smart to get a cheaper and better system when you need it.

Lastly, cheap ammo is a false economy.

You want good ammo. If you find box ammo that works well, stick with it instead of trying to save a few bucks. You'll wind up having more variables to deal with which will make your range time less effective.

Ok, how many rounds do you think you will shoot a year at ELR ranges? I ask because I think you are being unrealistic in your assumptions and kinda need to come to terms. In order to really be proficient in shooting ELR you really need to be rock solid in fundamentals. The only way to be rock solid in fundamentals is repetition and the amount of rounds you would have to send down range at ELR distances would so far outweigh the cost of a second rifle in a cheaper to shoot caliber. Add into that fact misses at ELR range can be directly related to internal ballistics or environmentals that if you aren't rock solid in fundamentals that you will never know that you are messing up and chalk up misses to stuff that are outside your control when it really was you. You find out if your fundamentals are good at distances where those things don't affect the outcome (1-200 yards). To practice this you would be spending 50-150 dollars a range session in ammo with an ELR caliber to shoot a gun that has no business being shot at those distances.
I am...that's why I'm getting a 6.5CM until I'm rock solid on fundamentals, then moving up to .375CT or .416B
WTF?

A thread title and the first post is #2??

Did you guys eat the OP?
Yes! Help me!!

I am...that's why I'm getting a 6.5CM until I'm rock solid on fundamentals, then moving up to .375CT or .416B

Yes! Help me!!

What I am saying is that even if you shoot 3k rounds of 6.5 creed, when you move to the larger rifle you will still have to keep shooting a decent volume to keep those fundamentals up.

What is you budget for the base rifle?

What I am saying is that even if you shoot 3k rounds of 6.5 creed, when you move to the larger rifle you will still have to keep shooting a decent volume to keep those fundamentals up.

What is you budget for the base rifle?
I was going to spend 1.6k for the RPR