• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT-X

From what I understand the comp trigger that comes in the AT-X is outsourced. Someone else can probably explain in detail. Shit happens but it's how a company responds that matters to me.
I thought all of the AI comp triggers were outsourced. I have an original comp trigger that I don't use.

Someone told me that the original is different than what is shipping today on the AT-X and AXSR. Is that true? If yes, can anyone tell me what changed?

there was an old AI Comp trigger I think just had a moveable shoe vs the CG Jackson comp trigger which is the adjustable one that people talk about

That is most likely what they mean, the new one is outsourced the old I believe was just a very slightly modified original

there was an old AI Comp trigger I think just had a moveable shoe vs the CG Jackson comp trigger which is the adjustable one that people talk about

That is most likely what they mean, the new one is outsourced the old I believe was just a very slightly modified original
In your opinion (that many of us respect) can someone buy the current gen AT-X with confidence or is there a trigger issue that needs to be sorted out?

Reactions: Milf Dots
I thought all of the AI comp triggers were outsourced. I have an original comp trigger that I don't use.

Someone told me that the original is different than what is shipping today on the AT-X and AXSR. Is that true? If yes, can anyone tell me what changed?
"Someone told me . . . . . "

Here is a brief history of the AI/XTSP Competition Trigger. There is a persistent belief that AI Comp triggers are unreliable, and this prompted me this morning to review our RGA (return goods authorization) Log. We track 100% of AI products that are returned for service or repair for all reasons. I will include the RGA data in the discussion below.

- AINA collaborated with XTSP to develop a competition trigger for those owners who felt they could not be competitive with the factory trigger. The Competition Trigger was to be a replacement for the AI factory trigger in all models except the AE which featured a different housing design.

- The first article sample of the Competition trigger is built and started undergoing testing. (Note the fixed blade shoe)
IMG_3900.jpeg

- Comp triggers started shipping to our distributors in mid-2018. The production comp trigger featured the AI adjustable trigger shoe.
- These triggers were set to about 1.25 lbs pull weight and all adjustments were accessible to the user.

- RGA entries in 2018 for returned comp trigger = 4 total and 1 for an AXMC trigger. In all cases the "Corrective Action" notes indicate these tirggers were grossly out of adjustment by the end user.

- RGA entries for comp triggers = 7 total. Of the 7, one was never sent in for service. The remaining 6 include notes for excessive dirt, oil, debris including a small rock, and gross incorrect user adjustments.
- RGA entries for AI triggers = 5 total with one of these being a worn safety cam that was replaced, the remainder were user adjusted very poorly.

- By the end of 2020 we had shipped hundreds of comp triggers, and we would naturally expect an increase in service contacts.
- RGA entries for comp triggers = 10 total. Of these 10, one was sent back to XTSP for evaluation. One customer was complaining about material blocking the sear adjustments (we had made the decision to restrict access to these adjustments after earlier experience with returned triggers), and the remainder were extremely dirty and poorly adjusted by the users.
- Two AI triggers came back in 2020 with extreme dirt and poor user adjustments.

- Things calmed down a lot with the application of compound to restrict access to the sear adjustments.
- RGA entries for comp triggers = 2 total. One was readjusted to correct specifications, and one returned to XTSP for evaluation.
- RGA entries for AXSR triggers = 2 total. On had a lose trigger shoe causing restriction of motion on the trigger sweep. The other was user adjusted to the point of inoperability.

- RGA entries for comp triggers = 4 total. All four of these triggers were out of AT-X, which were shipping in large quantities in 2022 and they were all returned to XTSP for evaluation for reasons I will discuss below.
- In 2022 we had one AX ELR come back for a trigger problem and we replaced the trigger in that rifle (AI trigger), and one AI trigger that turned out the rifle was burned up in a fire. For some reason the owner though we should warranty that trigger!
** I got a trigger back from a AT-X rifle that was purchased by Chris Way and came back by way of MHSA. This did not end up in the RGA log as it had been modified (not by Chris) such that it could no longer be repaired to original specification.

- RGA entries for comp triggers = 8 total so far. One of the eight entries was not returned by the owner. Four are noted to be extremely dirty and oily. These were cleaned and checked. Three were returned to XTSP for evaluation. In these cases the customer is provided a new trigger and XTSP corrects or replaces the trigger to AINA.

What we have learned on the Comp Trigger Journey:

I mentioned above that we made the decision to apply a compound to block access to the sear adjustment screws. This doesn't mean that a determined owner can't eventually defeat it, but we will absolutely know if this happens.

COVID, Supply Chain and Labor Challenges:

With the launch of the AT-X with the comp trigger as standard equipment, we saw an uptick in issues with the comp triggers. This prompted an investigation that started with Chris Way's rifle. The following issues were identified and corrective measures were implemented.

• Upper sear reset spring had been substitued for a spring with a different surface coating. This was due to the inability of the supplier to provide the original specification spring during the COVID madness.
  • Reset force (related to the above spring) was deemed to marginal and the reset spring from the AXSR trigger was substituted. The AXSR trigger is a variant of the comp trigger and has a higher force reset spring. The AXSR also has a higher force firing pin spring (hold this thought). The AXSR reset spring has a wire diameter of .024" while the original AT-X/Comp reset spring as a wire diameter of .020".
  • Surfaces finishes on the sear engagement surfaces were not sufficiently smooth and resulted in abnormally high friction during the reset stage of operation.
  • Machined surfaces on the housing were not of the same quality as the early comp triggers. This did not degrade the performance of the trigger, but it was not comparable to the early housings.
  • During SAAMI standard testing at ADG in 2019, it was recommended to add a tip radius to the upper sear lever. This feature was never changed.
In isolation, none of these items would cause significant issue, but in combination this could result in sub-optimal performance. I began to experiment with triggers we had on hand in our own comp rifles and taking some production triggers apart for inspection and rework. All of the activity was done in continuous communication and consultation with XTSP and ADG.
  • Sear surfaces were lapped with 1000 grit plates which dramatically improved the finish and friction.
  • A radius was added to the tip of the upper sear similar to that recommended by ADG. This further reduced friction and aided reset reliability.
  • Parts exhibiting poor machining were lapped to remove burrs and improve surface finishes.
  • Reset springs were replaced with higher force springs.
During the latter half or 2022 these measures were implemented in the production triggers, and everything was great except for one thing. In a small number of AT-X rifles the larger .024" reset spring (much higher force vs the .020" spring) would stop the firing pin from releasing. The firing pin spring on the AT-X is a lower force spring vs the AXSR and in instances where tolerances all line up this can result in failure to fire. We have settled on a .022" reset spring and this has provided complete reliability.

To recap, in the past five years we have shipped either as replacements or as standard equipment in the AT-X several thousand comp triggers.

Including Chris Way's trigger we have had 38 comp triggers returned for all reasons. This represents less than 1% of production, but we want that percentage reduced as close to zero as possible.

In the same time period we have had 10 AI triggers returned, and 3 AXSR triggers for all reasons.

I get out with Team AI and shoot a fair number of matches every year, and I would venture to say that the reliability of the AI/XTSP comp trigger is better than that of any of the popular aftermarket triggers for the Rem/clone actions. When you buy an AI you also benefit from support from the manufacturer, and I don't think any company stands behind it's products like we do.

There are currently ZERO triggers at AINA awaiting service.

-Scott

Last edited:

Here is a brief history of the AI/XTSP Competition Trigger. There is a persistent belief that AI Comp triggers are unreliable, and this prompted me this morning to review our RGA (return good authorization) Log. We track 100% of AI products that are returned for service or repair for all reasons. I will include the RGA data in the discussion below.

- AINA collaborated with XTSP to develop a competition trigger for those owners who felt they could not be competitive with the factory trigger. The Competition Trigger was to be a replacement for the AI factory trigger in all models except the AT which featured a different housing design.

- The first article sample of the Competition trigger is built and started undergoing testing. (Note the fixed blade shoe)
View attachment 8108448

- Comp triggers started shipping to our distributors in mid-2018. The production comp trigger featured the AI adjustable trigger shoe.
- These triggers were set to about 1.25 lbs pull weight and all adjustments were accessible to the user.

- RGA entries in 2018 for returned comp trigger = 4 total and 1 for an AXMC trigger. In all cases the "Corrective Action" notes indicate these tirggers were grossly out of adjustment by the end user.

- RGA entries for comp triggers = 7 total. Of the 7, one was never sent in for service. The remaining 6 include notes for excessive dirt, oil, debris including a small rock, and gross incorrect user adjustments.
- RGA entries for AI triggers = 5 total with one of these being a worn safety cam that was replaced, the remainder were user adjusted very poorly.

- By the end of 2020 we had shipped hundreds of comp triggers, and we would naturally expect an increase in service contacts.
- RGA entries for comp triggers = 10 total. Of these 10, one was sent back to XTSP for evaluation. One customer was complaining about material blocking the sear adjustments (we had made the decision to restrict access to these adjustments after earlier experience with returned triggers), and the remainder were extremely dirty and poorly adjusted by the users.
- Two AI triggers came back in 2020 with extreme dirt and poor user adjustments.

- Things calmed down a lot with the application of compound to restrict access to the sear adjustments.
- RGA entries for comp triggers = 2 total. One was readjusted to correct specifications, and one returned to XTSP for evaluation.
- RGA entries for AXSR triggers = 2 total. On had a lose trigger shoe causing restriction motion of the trigger sweep. The other was user adjusted to the point of interoperability.

- RGA entries for comp triggers = 4 total. All four of these triggers were out of AT-X, which were shipping in large quantities in 2022 and they were all returned to XTSP for evaluation for reasons I will discuss below.
- In 2022 we had one AX ELR come back for a trigger problem and we replaced the trigger in that rifle (AI trigger), and one AI trigger that turned out the rifle was burned up in a fire. For some reason the owner though we should warranty that trigger!
** I got a trigger back from a AT-X rifle that was purchased by Chris Way and came back by way of MHSA. This did not end up in the RGA log as it had been modified (not by Chris) such that it could no longer be repaired to original specification.

- RGA entries for comp triggers = 8 total so far. One of the eight entries was not returned by the owner. Four are noted to be extremely dirty and oily. These were cleaned and checked. Three were returned to XTSP for evaluation. In these cases the customer is provided a new trigger and XTSP corrects or replaces the trigger to AINA.

I mentioned above that we made the decision to apply a compound to block access to the sear adjustment screws. This doesn't mean that a determined owner can't eventually defeat it, but we will absolutely know if this happens.

With the launch of the AT-X with the comp trigger as standard equipment, we saw an uptick in issues with the comp triggers. This prompted an investigation that started with Chris Way's rifle. The following issues were identified and corrective measures were implemented.

• Upper sear reset spring had been substitued for a spring with a different surface coating. This was due to the inability of the supplier to provide the original specification spring during the COVID madness.
  • Reset force (related to the above spring) was deemed to marginal and the reset spring from the AXSR trigger was substituted. The AXSR trigger is a variant of the comp trigger and has a higher force reset spring. The AXSR also has a higher force firing pin spring (hold this thought). The AXSR reset spring has a wire diameter of .024" while the original AT-X/Comp reset spring as a wire diameter of .020".
  • Surfaces finishes on the sear engagement surfaces were not sufficiently smooth and resulted in abnormally high friction during the reset stage of operation.
  • Machined surfaces on the housing were not of the same quality as the early comp triggers. This did not degrade the performance of the trigger, but it was not comparable to the early housings.
  • During SAAMI standard testing at ADG in 2019, it was recommended to add a tip radius to the upper sear lever. This feature was never changed.
In isolation, none of these items would cause significant issue, but in combination this could result in sub-optimal performance. I began to experiment with triggers we had on hand in our own comp rifles and taking some production triggers apart for inspection and rework. All of the activity was done in continuous communication and consultation with XTSP and ADG.
  • Sear surfaces were lapped with 1000 grit plates which dramatically improved the finish and friction.
  • A radius was added to the tip of the upper sear similar to that recommended by ADG. This further reduced friction and aided reset reliability.
  • Parts exhibiting poor machining were lapped to remove burrs and improve surface finishes.
During the latter half or 2022 these measures were implemented in the production triggers, and everything was great except for one thing. In a small number of AT-X rifles the larger .024" reset spring (much higher force vs the .020" spring) would stop the firing pin from releasing. The firing pin spring on the AT-X is a lower force spring vs the AXSR and in instances where tolerances all line up this can result in failure to fire. We have settled on a .022" reset spring and this has provided complete reliability.

To recap, in the past five years we have shipped either as replacements or as standard equipment in the AT-X several thousand comp triggers.

Including Chris Way's trigger we have had 38 comp triggers returned for all reasons. This represents less than 1% of production, but we want that percentage reduced as close to zero as possible.

In the same time period we have had 10 AI triggers returned, and 3 AXSR triggers for all reasons.

I get out with Team AI and shoot a fair number of matches every year, and I would venture to say that the reliability of the AI/XTSP comp trigger is better than that of any of the popular aftermarket triggers for the Rem/clone actions. When you buy an AI you also benefit from support from the manufacturer, and I don't think any company stands behind it's products like we do.

-Scott
Ty sir. As much as I love being grumpy, hard data is gold.

I love my AT-X but sometimes the gossip gets to us

Here is a brief history of the AI/XTSP Competition Trigger. There is a persistent belief that AI Comp triggers are unreliable, and this prompted me this morning to review our RGA (return good authorization) Log. We track 100% of AI products that are returned for service or repair for all reasons. I will include the RGA data in the discussion below.

- AINA collaborated with XTSP to develop a competition trigger for those owners who felt they could not be competitive with the factory trigger. The Competition Trigger was to be a replacement for the AI factory trigger in all models except the AT which featured a different housing design.

View attachment 8108448

- RGA entries for AXSR triggers = 2 total. On had a lose trigger shoe causing restriction motion of the trigger sweep. The other was user adjusted to the point of interoperability.

-Scott
Hey Scott I appreciate your taking the time to post all this info. And the transparency with return data, favorable or not, is something we never really see from manufacturers so props to that.
As an honest question, those RGA numbers, do they include triggers that were sent directly to XTSP or just those sent to you guys? Thanks!

PS any chance TriggerTech is working on an AI trigger?

Reactions: Scott Seigmund
Hey Scott I appreciate your taking the time to post all this info. And the transparency with return data, favorable or not, is something we never really see from manufacturers so props to that.
As an honest question, those RGA numbers, do they include triggers that were sent directly to XTSP or just those sent to you guys? Thanks!

PS any chance TriggerTech is working on an AI trigger?
Those are items returned to AINA. There is only one very recent instance of a trigger going from the customer to XTSP and that is also logged in our RGA data. We approved this process to save time as the owner had a match coming up.

I don't know anything about Trigger Tech except a few I have shot in other people's guns. I don't get it, frankly.

Reactions: Covertnoob5

Here is a brief history of the AI/XTSP Competition Trigger. There is a persistent belief that AI Comp triggers are unreliable, and this prompted me this morning to review our RGA (return goods authorization) Log. We track 100% of AI products that are returned for service or repair for all reasons. I will include the RGA data in the discussion below.

View attachment 8108448

- RGA entries for AXSR triggers = 2 total. On had a lose trigger shoe causing restriction of motion on the trigger sweep. The other was user adjusted to the point of inoperability.

-Scott
I really thank you for this comprehensive recap. The history provided is very helpful.

I had no idea that this trigger could not be installed on the AT rifle. I only tried it on my AXMC. I shoot both rifles regularly and I reverted the MC back to the OEM trigger as it was causing me some consistency issues when shooting the AT since it still used the OEM trigger.

I really thank you for this comprehensive recap. The history provided is very helpful.

I had no idea that this trigger could not be installed on the AT rifle. I only tried it on my AXMC. I shoot both rifles regularly and I reverted the MC back to the OEM trigger as it was causing me some consistency issues when shooting the AT since it still used the OEM trigger.
The comp trigger will fit in the AT, but not the AE.

I hear what you are saying about going between the AI trigger and comp trigger. I often shoot the AI trigger at ~ 4 lbs pull weight for long stretches, and have no difficulty shooting tight groups. Moving to a light pull trigger takes a period of adjustment.

Reactions: Nik H
The comp trigger will fit in the AT, but not the AE.

I hear what you are saying about going between the AI trigger and comp trigger. I often shoot the AI trigger at ~ 4 lbs pull weight for long stretches, and have no difficulty shooting tight groups. Moving to a light pull trigger takes a period of adjustment.
I must have misread your comments..thought it said AT.

Totally agree with your comment. If I bought another comp trigger so I could use one on each rifle, it wouldn't be a problem. To tell you the truth though, I find the OEM trigger to be almost perfect. It is really a great design.

And what is your source for this information?
It was me joking that the origional trigger would be released with a new sexy name.

Appreciate the information on the comp trigger return rates.
What is the procedure for people outside of the USA who have issues with comp triggers/AT-X triggers?
Do the triggers need to be sent back to the USA for warranty work?

It was me joking that the origional trigger would be released with a new sexy name.

Appreciate the information on the comp trigger return rates.
What is the procedure for people outside of the USA who have issues with comp triggers/AT-X triggers?
Do the triggers need to be sent back to the USA for warranty work?
Yes, they need to be sent back for service. Just contact us at [email protected] for an RGA # and shipping details.

Reactions: beetroot
Thanks.

Is there a cleaning/lubing regime you recommend for the comp triggers?
And particular products that are recommended for cleaning after wet or dusty conditions?
This is lifted from the trigger user manual. The brake cleaner flushing method is my preferred approach. If the trigger is in the gun, I set the gun upright using the bipod or a maintenance cradle and flush from the top letting gravity carry the cleaner and any debris out the bottom. I do prefer to blow it out afterwards with compressed or canned air. If am traveling to a match, I always carry brake cleaner and canned air or pick them up locally ahead of the match. I do this regardless of the type of trigger. This process should be part of routine cleaning and maintenance for all firearms, but shooters seem to believe that triggers should just magically always keep working no matter how neglected they are. In my experience Police firearms are the worst maintained followed by competition shooters.

AI trigger parts out of a police rifle.

IMG_4942.jpeg
IMG_4944.jpeg

CLEANING & MAINTENANCE (Comp Trigger)

The Accuracy International Competition Trigger was designed to
perform reliably and consistently in unusually adverse
conditions and is both resistant to, and tolerant of,
contamination by dirt, dust & sand. The trigger’s sear levers
are treated with a Teflon®-infused nickel coating for
exceptional corrosion resistance and lubricity. The Competition
Trigger unit does not require lubrication; the user should
exercise care to avoid introducing lubricating fluids or oils into
the trigger mechanism, as these are prone to blend with
ambient dirt/dust contaminants, forming a sludge that may
degrade performance. Cleaning of the trigger unit, when
necessary, should be accomplished through flushing of the
mechanism with a fast-drying, oil-free solution such as
automotive brake parts cleaner, lighter fluid, or similar. The
Competition Trigger is sealed from the factory and is not
intended to be opened by the user. Appropriate cleaning fluids
should be introduced through the observation windows in the
trigger cover plate. After flushing with fluid, blast dry with
compressed air (optional, but recommended).

Thanks for the response Scott and I can tell the community that I do have a tracking number on a return trigger. Not sure if it's a new trigger or the same one I sent in but regardless it should be here tomorrow. I never intended to start a shit storm and I don't know if that's why AI responded early Monday morning or if it was just how things worked out. I can tell you mine might have been one that showed up dirty and oily because Oklahoma is dirty when it's dry and the wind is blowing. My trigger was the only one to fail in my squad and the only AI rifle in the squad. Another squad member and myself tried everything to bring it back to life mid match without tearing it down. I'm not sure that I believe your failure numbers but I really hope that I was just one of the unlucky ones. Again thanks for taking the time to address this publicly.

This is lifted from the trigger user manual. The brake cleaner flushing method is my preferred approach. If the trigger is in the gun, I set the gun upright using the bipod or a maintenance cradle and flush from the top letting gravity carry the cleaner and any debris out the bottom. I do prefer to blow it out afterwards with compressed or canned air. If am traveling to a match, I always carry brake cleaner and canned air or pick them up locally ahead of the match. I do this regardless of the type of trigger. This process should be part of routine cleaning and maintenance for all firearms, but shooters seem to believe that triggers should just magically always keep working no matter how neglected they are. In my experience Police firearms are the worst maintained followed by competition shooters.

AI trigger parts out of a police rifle.

View attachment 8108769View attachment 8108770

CLEANING & MAINTENANCE (Comp Trigger)

The Accuracy International Competition Trigger was designed to
perform reliably and consistently in unusually adverse
conditions and is both resistant to, and tolerant of,
contamination by dirt, dust & sand. The trigger’s sear levers
are treated with a Teflon®-infused nickel coating for
exceptional corrosion resistance and lubricity. The Competition
Trigger unit does not require lubrication; the user should
exercise care to avoid introducing lubricating fluids or oils into
the trigger mechanism, as these are prone to blend with
ambient dirt/dust contaminants, forming a sludge that may
degrade performance. Cleaning of the trigger unit, when
necessary, should be accomplished through flushing of the
mechanism with a fast-drying, oil-free solution such as
automotive brake parts cleaner, lighter fluid, or similar. The
Competition Trigger is sealed from the factory and is not
intended to be opened by the user. Appropriate cleaning fluids
should be introduced through the observation windows in the
trigger cover plate. After flushing with fluid, blast dry with
compressed air (optional, but recommended).
Would this apply to the OEM trigger as well?

I had two OEM triggers ‘fail on me’ at an RTC match. This was in an AX. Kept wondering wtf was going on as it wasn’t resetting and I had clean them prior to traveling.
What my dumbass forgot during the armorers course was, some break cleaner do too good of a job, that you need to lube them (just parts that make contact, spring) afterwards.

I had two OEM triggers ‘fail on me’ at an RTC match. This was in an AX. Kept wondering wtf was going on as it wasn’t resetting and I had clean them prior to traveling.
What my dumbass forgot during the armorers course was, some break cleaner do too good of a job, that you need to lube them (just parts that make contact, spring) afterwards.
This is probably a dumb question but do you remove the trigger when you clean and lubricate?

I wish I could take that course

I did the same thing a few years back on an AX. Cleaned with ether then didn’t lube it. Worked for two stages at a match then quit working. Quick squirt of lube and it’s ram ever since.

Reactions: NoLegs24
This is probably a dumb question but do you remove the trigger when you clean and lubricate?

Yes, I prefer it that way.

It’s a good course for the money. I do a yearly maintenance on them, good to know how to take it apart and make sure it’s still in spec.

Now, don’t go thinking you can take the trigger apart as shown in the pics by Scott. Only Mile High/ AINA has the tools for that type of job.

It’s a good course for the money. I do a yearly maintenance on them, good to know how to take it apart and make sure it’s still in spec.

Now, don’t go thinking you can take the trigger apart as shown in the pics by Scott. Only Mile High/ AINA has the tools for that type of job.
Yes I wouldn't ever consider taking it apart.

Have never done this process before so don't want to screw it up

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800

- AINA collaborated with XTSP to develop a competition trigger for those owners who felt they could not be competitive with the factory trigger. The Competition Trigger was to be a replacement for the AI factory trigger in all models except the AE which featured a different housing design.

View attachment 8108448

-Scott
Proud to say I make up half of the AX/ATX comp trigger returns for 2022. One in the beginning of the year, and one at the end of the year lol I will say, CS was great.

I appreciate the details that you did not have to divulge. Interesting to see the actual numbers.

Bullshit I got the tools and I'm certified with the 7axis Dremel

Any Mile High reps here? Is Mile High taking deposits on Left Handed AT-X rifles yet? If yes, what's the expected delivery date? And please don't tell me the 32nd of Nevermber. o_O :eek: :ROFLMAO:

@Scott Seigmund

Last edited:
Any Mile High reps here? Is Mile High taking deposits on Left Handed AT-X rifles yet? If yes, what's the expected delivery date? And please don't tell me the 32nd of Nevermber. o_O :eek: :ROFLMAO:
Plan on 2/30/2024.

Is the course LE only? Brief search seemed to indicate it was. Or is the civi course just rare

Thanks for the response Scott and I can tell the community that I do have a tracking number on a return trigger. Not sure if it's a new trigger or the same one I sent in but regardless it should be here tomorrow. I never intended to start a shit storm and I don't know if that's why AI responded early Monday morning or if it was just how things worked out. I can tell you mine might have been one that showed up dirty and oily because Oklahoma is dirty when it's dry and the wind is blowing. My trigger was the only one to fail in my squad and the only AI rifle in the squad. Another squad member and myself tried everything to bring it back to life mid match without tearing it down. I'm not sure that I believe your failure numbers but I really hope that I was just one of the unlucky ones. Again thanks for taking the time to address this publicly.
And this would be Charles? If so, the comments on your trigger in the RGA log are as follows:

"Failed to reset. Excessive oil, dirt, and grit inside the trigger housing. 2nd stage force screw was bottomed out."

With the 2nd stage screw at max force, I'm not surprised it would not operate with the material accumulated inside. This trigger was completely disassembled, cleaned, reset spring replaced, lapped, and assembled completely dry. It's set at 1.5lbs total pull weight. I went full house on that one and I don't think you have any more problems with it if you leave the adjustments alone.

Last edited:

Not every time, but I do take my rifles down pretty far a couple of time a year for detailed maintenance. The rest of the time I flush the trigger from the top and blow it out with compressed air at 20 psi or less.

@DocRDS @clefairy Post #82

Gents,

I'll address a few of your questions and comments.

Comp Trigger: The Competition Trigger was offered as a replacement for the original AI trigger in legacy rifles. The spring set allows for adjustment under 1.0 lbs. and that trigger has a significant range of adjustment and different spring sets are available. The trigger is intended for people using their AI rifle in tactical competition. Several of those triggers have come back to us for "service". This is typically due to improper adjustment by the end-user. We have reset and cleaned them and I don't believe one has ever come back a second time. All of these low pull weight triggers require extra care and knowledge if they are expected to operate as designed. We have run the Competition Trigger on a lot of different rifles here at AI and never had an issue. We run the comp trigger on our AX50 bench rest guns which are fairly violent in terms of recoil and no problems after three seasons of use.

ASR Trigger: The trigger supplied in the ASR was made by AI. Internally it is exactly the same as the AW/AT/AX triggers with the pull weight set to 2.5 lbs. The housing design changed because the action is entirely new and overall weight and the length is different from the AXMC, and is not bonded to the chassis. This necessitated a change in the trigger housing design.

We submitted three ASR rifles to SOCOM for the trial that started in 2017. One of the three rifles had a trigger that did not maintain the adjustment range and we were eliminated from the trial. Again, that trigger was an AI trigger and that failure is on us.

AXSR Trigger: The trigger in the AXSR is unique to the new rifle, and unsurprisingly we call it the "AXSR Trigger". The pull weight is 2.5 lbs, and the spring set is different from the Competition Trigger. The AXSR trigger was put through exhaustive testing at ADG and several changes were recommended. We worked with Tom Myers at X-Treme Shooting Products to implement the changes. We also wanted greater corrosion resistance in this "production" trigger vs the Competition Trigger and the housing is made from 304 stainless steel and some of the surface treatments were changed on other parts. The workmanship on these triggers is exemplary and they have been extremely consistent in production testing. Like the AI triggers, the AXSR trigger can be adjusted but the range is higher than on the comp trigger.

AXSR 308 Mags: These will ship to our distributors in June. As you might guess, international shipping has been a challenge these past two months and we have management meetings daily to adjust to this situation.

M-LOK vs Keyslot Forends: We will offer the AXSR style forend with RRS interface as a replacement for the AXMC forend tubes. It will NOT be "years" as some have suggested, but it isn't the top priority at the moment. They will be available in 2020.

The ASR and AXSR forend tubes are asymmetric having additional width to provide greater clearance for M-LOC fasteners. Even with added width, we did some rail and barrel profile gymnastics to meet the ASR Pspec for sling attachment in front of the receiver. (see attached pic) It is not possible to install M-LOK rail over the largest diameter of the barrel on the ASR. With Keyslot, you could theoretically run a 1.335" barrel full length and put rail anywhere you want. Keyslot fasteners pull up completely flush with the interior of the tube.

Action Gas Ports: As noted by others, the red disk are dirt/dust blocks for two large gas handling ports as done on the AW/AX50 rifles. This is an operator safety enhancement and acknowledgment that if things go wrong with a 30 caliber round burning close to 90 grains of propellent the gas needs a path of least resistance away from the operator. Yes, we do test these systems to failure and the results with this action have been exemplary.

Old/Traditional vs New: We had the same complaints and misty-eyed longing for the AW when we introduced the AX and AXMC, and we expect the same with the AXSR. This doesn't change the fact that the new rifle is better in every possible way vs its predecessors. Like one of my old friends said about pickup trucks recently, "They don't make um like they use to." To which I replied, "And thank God for that!".

For those that love tradition, we still have the AT. It is a significantly improved AW and the price is in line with most of the custom builds.

ASR/AXSR Grip Interface: The grip interface is rotated 10 degrees placing ANY AR type grip in a more vertical orientation. Keep in mind, the ASR and AXSR are not focused at the competition community. These are first and foremost sniper rifles and the ability to install COTS AR grips is more important than the latest game gun grips. Also, keep in mind when this rifle was in development most of the vertical AR grips were not available.

I will try to check in on this thread and answer the questions that I can.

-Scott

Reactions: GeoDude and DocRDS