• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

Flew into Denver today to go shooting in Kansas at Rebel Ridge. Had to make a pit stop at Mile High of course! So much temptation!
IMG_20190111_151816022_HDR.jpg

Here is not a picture of my AI rifle, but a picture of why I like my AI rifle.
The one gun I would trust my life to or the life of those I care about to make the first or only shot when it counts is my trusty old AI AW

I haven't shot it in a couple years, haven't changed the scope zero setting in about a decade. Pulled it out of the safe, tossed it in it's drag bag, put it in the back of the truck, drove 100 miles to the shooting range on a cold winter day, ran a couple wet patches through the barrel, then a couple dry patches (as I hadn't cleaned it last time I shot it a couple years ago & wanted to make sure no grit was left in the barrel from the last shooting conditions).
Turned the S&B scope knobs back to the 100 yard bench setting, aimed for dead center of the target and this is what the cold bore shot looks like:
(100 yards, 155gr Lapua factory ammunition also many years old.)

IMG_0345.JPG

There is no group shot, just a single shot because it's an example of when you have to actually hit an exact point of aim precisely, the first shot and it's a matter of that shot has to hit exactly where you need it to hit and nowhere else, against a 4 or 2 legged creature because lives are on the line, and there is no time to prepare.
I know that I can yank out my AW and know it will do the job even if it's sat unused for years.

Here is not a picture of my AI rifle, but a picture of why I like my AI rifle.
The one gun I would trust my life to or the life of those I care about to make the first or only shot when it counts is my trusty old AI AW

I haven't shot it in a couple years, haven't changed the scope zero setting in about a decade. Pulled it out of the safe, tossed it in it's drag bag, put it in the back of the truck, drove 100 miles to the shooting range on a cold winter day, ran a couple wet patches through the barrel, then a couple dry patches (as I hadn't cleaned it last time I shot it a couple years ago & wanted to make sure no grit was left in the barrel from the last shooting conditions).
Turned the S&B scope knobs back to the 100 yard bench setting, aimed for dead center of the target and this is what the cold bore shot looks like:
(100 yards, 155gr Lapua factory ammunition also many years old.)

View attachment 7002774

There is no group shot, just a single shot because it's an example of when you have to actually hit an exact point of aim precisely, the first shot and it's a matter of that shot has to hit exactly where you need it to hit and nowhere else, against a 4 or 2 legged creature because lives are on the line, and there is no time to prepare.
I know that I can yank out my AW and know it will do the job even if it's sat unused for years.

I see a shot a tad low and left.....

?

I see a shot a tad low and left.....
?

Zero was done in summer high 70s
Shot was taken winter in the low 40s with a bit more wind. (And I tend to pull a tiny bit to the left in my shooting).
Didn't correct for temperature, as I wanted to see exactly how close to dead center it would be if pulled out and shot with no time for adjustments.

I was just being a smartass ?. It is an awesome feeling when you know your rifle through and through.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Here is what that rifle was doing after the test cold bore shot.
Introducing some young visitors born in a land down under, without freedom, to what freedom feels like (among many other "freedom tools")
I can't tell you how many times I sat at our 300yd steel target watching guys shoot while their wives, girlfriends and daughters just sat there
watching with their arms crossed. I would always ask if they wanted to shoot, and they would invariably hesitate, then prone up and ding the
4" target down there with a big ole' smile on their face..... next words were always, can I do that again? I'd let them shoot til their hearts were
content... I even got my 75 year old mother to ding it 5 out of 5 shots and she's hasn't shot a gun in 30+ years... Now I can't wait to put one
on a 1000yd target....

IMG_20190113_111437.jpg

IMG_20190113_111437.jpg

Well cratering issues on 6.5 Creed on my AXMC have been biting me for some time so I took my rifle out and redid my load development from 39.5gr of H4350 all the way up to 42gr. Couldnt seem to get rid of the cratering.

Those SFP bolts can't come soon enough

Reactions: Huskydriver
Send it to LRI.., $175 and they will bush yours ?

I'm in the middle of a barrel right now and Chad mentions waiting on a new barrel due to headspace changes.

Id rather just AI join the rest of the 2015 crowd and do SFP bolts. They are out there. I'm on the waiting list for one.

Nice! I'm trying to get the final bit of cash needed for a classic SN3 ERGO 3.2-17x that I'll be using with a 20" .308 barrel for my AT. Should be a fun little rig. Yours looks great!

Reactions: Clint E.
I wouldn't expect anyone to wait (and keep waiting) for the bipod mounts I designed, but they will be coming soon. I can't give out the details yet, but I'm partnering with a company that is going to be making, distributing and selling these bipod mounts, along with some other cool AI parts I haven't shared publicly yet. The bipod mounts will be offered in Picatinny and Arca-Swiss, and the Arca-Swiss version will have provisions to mount a standard M-Lok picatinny rail to it. Both AT/ATAICS and AE/AW/AICS versions will be offered.

It's going to be good, and you won't have to message me on SH to get them - it'll be a really nice website with lots of other precision rifle gear, too.
Any updates on this Sam?

Any updates on this Sam?
I don't have a timeline for them to be sold yet. But the company I'm partnering with is working on them and getting machining setup for the different versions. There should be the Picatinny and Arca-Swiss variants for both the AT and the AE/AW rifles and chassis.

I'll keep you guys updated on these, and the other products I'm working on. With the craziness of SHOT Show everyone is busy right now, so I'm hoping to keep the ball rolling over the next few weeks in order to finalize these and a few other parts.

While I didn’t get to zero my rifle today, I had enough time to get 3/4 of the break in done. Before it got really dark, I decided to finally shoot a group at 100 yards this is with my Kahles zeroed for my Remington 700. This is the best 5 round group I’ve ever shot, and it was RUSHED! It was getting dark, I could barley see. I now understand why these rifles command such a high price!

If anyone is curious it was 168gr Sierra Match Kings loaded by Copper Creek Cartridge Co.
7E0149EF-421B-4641-91AC-AF7EEA2C6337.jpeg

While I didn’t get to zero my rifle today, I had enough time to get 3/4 of the break in done. Before it got really dark, I decided to finally shoot a group at 100 yards this is with my Kahles zeroed for my Remington 700. This is the best 5 round group I’ve ever shot, and it was RUSHED! It was getting dark, I could barley see. I now understand why these rifles command such a high price!

If anyone is curious it was 168gr Sierra Match Kings loaded by Copper Creek Cartridge Co.View attachment 7004095

I dont believe you. Everybody knows 308s can’t shoot

Got my new AI comp trigger in. I left everything where the previous owner had it. 1lb first and .5 second. I’m gonna run it like this for a bit and see how I like it.

I dont believe you. Everybody knows 308s can’t shoot

6.5 Creedmoor is the greatest cartridge ever invented by God. I love the recurring joke on TTAG. I was reading some news feed post about the ATF and their requirement for checking male or female on a 4473 form. Some guy comments below “The 6.5 Creedmoor is the most ballistically efficient cartridge. Ever.” :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: atombomb
Does anyone use kydex holsters for their AW/AT double stack mags? I was wondering if anyone had some pics on how far they come out of the holster, for gripping. There's ones made by Short Action Precision, that fits AICS and AW mags, but I don't see any pics of the AW mags in them.

I use my 3 gun mag caddies. They work awesome

Attachments

• 2ACD2A1D-FBF0-4120-AA0A-55A96062793D.jpeg
    2ACD2A1D-FBF0-4120-AA0A-55A96062793D.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: The Durk
Got my new AI comp trigger in. I left everything where the previous owner had it. 1lb first and .5 second. I’m gonna run it like this for a bit and see how I like it.

Got mine at .5 lb wall then .5 lb with 0 overtravel and love it[/QUOTE]

Picked up this SN3 the other day. I had the choice between this one or one with a 35mm tube and illuminated reticle, but that one had the old 4.8mil elevation knob. My requirements were an ERGO parallax and EREK elevation, so I went with this 30mm non-illuminated model and a GAP reticle. Love me some ERGO SN3! I've wanted one of these for a LOOONG time (like, since USO was one of the top three options in the FFP game). This will be used with a 20"-ish .308 barrel once I find one. I'll probably keep the 26" barrel around, but being a 1:12, it won't work for me if I cut it down. I'll use another optic (unsure which just yet) with the 6.5CM barrels I have.

Anyway, I thought the old girl looked good with the thumbhole skins. :)

IMG_6033.JPG

The ole girl looks great with the thumbhole skins!

I have the factory 20” 1:12 barrel on mine. It shoots damn good with 175gmm and Hornady 178gr match.

I have a 24” barrel inbound that I’m trying to decide where to cut it. I’m thinking 16” or so.

Reactions: Basher
My primary concern is marginal stability being an issue at my location. During the hot summer months it's not quite as much of an issue, but I'm only at 1,200' MSL, so the DA is lower here. I'd rather err on the side of caution and be sure I'm stable. The 26" will be fine, but for a shorty, I'm going up in twist.

And thanks! For a general use setup, the ol' SN3 should work just fine and be a tank while doing it!

Nice rig, Basher! Do you like the thumb rest?

Yes and no, haha. With a standard stock (McM A5, Manners PRS1, etc.), my usual thumb position is up on the shelf, indexing at the point where the action tang ends so it's repeatable. On the AI chassis, that means I usually just ride the top of the chassis just aft of the bolt. So while the thumb rest gives me a repeatable position, the shelf sits too low for me most of the time, making my fingers feel a little cramped. If the shelf were moved to the top of the rest, it would be about perfect. I've talked to Sam about this, so he's aware, but won't likely be redesigning it just for me, haha.

I'll be leaving it on, as I'm sure it will be useful in the right situations and isn't in the way at all.

Reactions: Tree and PBWalsh
I used to use the old sling loop at the hinge point of the stock, as a thumb wrest, on my Gen 1 AICS. I just got used to a high thumb grip kinda like a modern pistol shooting technique. Just got my thumb hole stock on my rifle last night. Can't wait to zero my scope, but we're going to get 8" of snow on Saturday night. I may be backpacking my rifle to the range on Sunday morning!

Quick question for everyone using a switch barrel AI. I got my first, second barrel (26" M24 Kreiger chambered in 6 XC II by Robert Gradous) for my AT in this week and I installed it using a...……… Wheeler Fat Wrench to 49 in. lbs.

What are you all using to torque your barrel loc? Is the Wheeler adequate? I'm not sure of the tolerance/accuracy on the Wheeler. I looked at the Borka 49 in. limiter Mile High has, and it's not a terrible option for $55. Any other suggestions and or recommendations?

Quick question for everyone using a switch barrel AI. I got my first, second barrel (26" M24 Kreiger chambered in 6 XC II by Robert Gradous) for my AT in this week and I installed it using a...……… Wheeler Fat Wrench to 49 in. lbs.

What are you all using to torque your barrel loc? Is the Wheeler adequate? I'm not sure of the tolerance/accuracy on the Wheeler. I looked at the Borka 49 in. limiter Mile High has, and it's not a terrible option for $55. Any other suggestions and or recommendations?

I use the Borka, but anything that will accurately give you 49 in/lbs will work. I have indeed used a Wheeler before also!

The goal is not only to secure the barrel obviously, but too create a repeatable mechanical process for accuracy AND precision.

Quick note I found that the 49 in lbs was not the best torque setting for return to zero repeatability. I did some experiments changing torque values up to 65 in lbs and found my rifle will return to zero every time at 55-58 inlbs. Just a thought. I also marked the head of my torque screw so I can reference it every time I swap barrels to set it at 55 in lbs without using a torque wrench evertime.

Quick note I found that the 49 in lbs was not the best torque setting for return to zero repeatability. I did some experiments changing torque values up to 65 in lbs and found my rifle will return to zero every time at 55-58 inlbs. Just a thought. I also marked the head of my torque screw so I can reference it every time I swap barrels to set it at 55 in lbs without using a torque wrench evertime.

I've heard of a few people doing this too. I don't think it hurts per-se (hell it's only 6 more inch-pounds). I tested it but I didn't see any difference between the two settings. Even though these are finely crafted precision rifles, there is some tolerance built into the QuickLoc receiver system. 6 in/lbs could be the difference between a solid root-to-crest thread clamp, or taking up slack in the pitch - ever how minute that might be.

Never really thought about it, don't know. I do know do as intended and more when the shooter does their part!

I’ve been using the MHSA Borka tool for the past 2 years. My AT always had perfect return to zero. My AX I have now seems to require more than 49 in-lb. I’ve had the screw come loose twice in the short time I’ve had it. I’ll probably try using 55 in-lb when I get time to test it again.

....don’t get me started on torque wrenches. It should have a cert that comes with it and it’s accuracy on the top, mid, and bottom of its ranges (this is what I do for a living and I verify my torque wrenches at work.) I tried my vortex torque wrench and it was within 1% of the stated torque rating.

I haven’t tried checking return to zero but maybe next weekend.