• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

What do you fellas say is the ideal mag range for a 20” 308 AT? 3-18, 5-30, 6-36?

What do you fellas say is the ideal mag range for a 20” 308 AT? 3-18, 5-30, 6-36?
I have a 4-20 atacr on mine. Good balance of mag and size. I guess it depends what your use is. Mine is hunting so I like 4 for low light. But wouldn’t hesitate to run my 7-35 atacr on it either if target shooting was my primary use. Especially longer distance or if I planned to use another barrel for 1000+ yard shooting

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I have a 4-20 atacr on mine. Good balance of mag and size. I guess it depends what your use is. Mine is hunting so I like 4 for low light. But wouldn’t hesitate to run my 7-35 atacr on it either if target shooting was my primary use. Especially longer distance or if I planned to use another barrel for 1000+ yard shooting
Hunting with an AI? Blasphemy. That’s like 20+ pounds

Mines more or a target use. I gots dedicated hunting rigs.

Hunting with an AI? Blasphemy. That’s like 20+ pounds

Mines more or a target use. I gots dedicated hunting rigs.
It’s crop damage. Shooting deer in farm fields on DNR issued permits for several months. From a fixed position. I use lighter rifles for walking/stalking and general deer season hunting

It’s crop damage. Shooting deer in farm fields on DNR issued permits for several months. From a fixed position. I use lighter rifles for walking/stalking and general deer season hunting
Dang I need some of that lol they let out of staters come in?

Depends on your part of the country too. In the SE there's so much humidity I hardly ever have a chance to even put my 25x atacr on max power. Since it's dedicated target I'd say go for higher magnification but if you are in an area like me with tons of mirage I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a 3-18 or 4-20. Glass quality trumps magnification (to a degree)

Depends on your part of the country too. In the SE there's so much humidity I hardly ever have a chance to even put my 25x atacr on max power. Since it's dedicated target I'd say go for higher magnification but if you are in an area like me with tons of mirage I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a 3-18 or 4-20. Glass quality trumps magnification (to a degree)
Oh I’m down here in the SE alright and humidity is nothing to play with lol. Summer is coming quick and the humidity is right behind it.

20230604_092625.jpg

Butt pad upside down... interesting...

Might take mine off and mount it upside down, see what its like.

Lots of people also ate tide pods 🥳

Never tried it when I had my AX but it makes me curious how it is.
It's better when your body is upright behind the rifle. Ie off a bench or barricade. Right side up butt pad is better for prone.

So, I want to take my AT (once I get a scope for it lol) to a match. Is my 20” 308 barrel gonna get me laughed at or get me style points?

So, I want to take my AT (once I get a scope for it lol) to a match. Is my 20” 308 barrel gonna get me laughed at or get me style points?
What kind of match?
What kind of scope you looking for?

I mean... I am a huge fan of running what you got but yea a 20" 308 is def making it harder on yourself but lots of guys have run at's in match eh @The Durk

Last edited:
What kind of match?
What kind of scope you looking for?

I mean... I am a huge fan of running what you got but yea a 20" 308 is def making it harder on yourself but looks of guys have run at's in match eh @The Durk
Anything local. I think there’s another member here from my AO that’s club hosts local PRS style matches.

I’m prolly gonna end up with that Steiner 5-30 since I’m a poor.

Go and shoot it anyway, who really cares what other people think?

I would much rather shoot a gloriously short, smooth and slow 308 AI than a specc'd up space shuttle Howa or Remington type SPORK of a rifle.

You'll probably appreciate any future caliber change that is more match suited down the track anyway, having shot a shorty 308 first.

Shooting a match is like going to the gym. Everyone is too worried about themselves to worry about you. The ones that do laugh at others are people with nothing going on in their lives.

Shooting a match is like going to the gym. Everyone is too worried about themselves to worry about you. The ones that do laugh at others are people with nothing going on in their lives.
You need to copyright this

And how did you do?
I want to say we finished top 10, out of 60 plus teams. That was at Guardian Arena and the first year they didn’t have caliber restriction. I ran .308 for the sport and to stay true to the original match format. We would have placed higher, but my team mate had an action screw come loose on his impact and it took us a stage to figure it out and a stage to fix it. That pushed us back a handful of slots.

The other match or two I shot it finished mid pack as per usual.

A short barrel .308 is more capable than you think. I didn’t feel at a disadvantage within 700-800 yards. Past that things got dicey quick. I ran 175gr OTMs around 2450fps.

I got a 20” barrel for the ATX that from time to time I kick around the idea of running for a season. Obligatory pic

IMG_3348.jpeg

Last edited:
I think there's an article on practical sharpshooter about winning tactical division in PRS with a 20" .308, I know that inspired me to go shoot Tac. I originally had an 18" .308 barrel on my AT and only swapped it for a 24" so I would get the hang of dealing with a longer gun on props and have a better balanced rifle. I don't think a 20" .308 is that short, run it!

And don't forget to get pics and vids for your favorite keyboard warriors who told you this was a good idea.

It's better when your body is upright behind the rifle. Ie off a bench or barricade. Right side up butt pad is better for prone.
Just tried this... now I'm going to have to all the time be explaining why my buttpad is upside down. 🙃

Reactions: TylerN
Here we go, my first AIAW. Previous owner did a paintjob on her, some wear at the stock but overall very good condition from what i can tell since he used her a lot in competitions. Very nice bloke. Going to shoot her tomorrow the first time. Still got 200 rounds of FGM 175gr. Should do the trick hopefully. That bolt is smooth good lord...always heared and read about it but experiencing it first hand is unbelievable.

20230609_203115.jpg

20230609_203107.jpg

Cheers

Daniel

Last edited:
Here we go, my first AIAW. Previous owner did a paintjob on her, some wear at the stock but overall very good condition from what i can tell since he used her a lot in competitions. Very nice bloke. Going to shoot her tomorrow the first time. Still got 200 rounds of FGM 175gr. Should do the trick hopefully. That bolt is smooth good lord...always heared and read about it but experiencing it first hand is unbelievable.

View attachment 8158970
View attachment 8158974

Cheers

Daniel
This is the best post of the week IMO. And its a green skinned one too! Enjoy. I own every model AI makes, minus the AT, and I still come back to the AW after its all said and done.

Reactions: DKN83

View attachment 8158970
View attachment 8158974

Cheers

Daniel
Forget all the Elite Sand, Dark Earth, Sage Green Master Race banter, a scruffy rattle can paint job on a classic AI is the best finish! (y)

Lol, I'm getting the idea that I have offended the AI knob gods. I do admit aesthetically I don't like it like I thought I would... but I paid 30 something for the knob so feel like I ought to at least give it a chance. 🤣

Reactions: bnaples
Lol, I'm getting the idea that I have offended the AI knob gods. I do admit aesthetically I don't like it like I thought I would... but I paid 30 something for the knob so feel like I ought to at least give it a chance. 🤣
Personally aside from the fact that it’s hideous…..I find the swept bolts with round knobs easier and faster for me to run the bolt.

For some reason the longer style like that slow me down a touch and I don’t seem as smooth in my operating

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
Personally aside from the fact that it’s hideous…..I find the swept bolts with round knobs easier and faster for me to run the bolt.

For some reason the longer style like that slow me down a touch and I don’t seem as smooth in my operating
And the actual cool part about it is I found a source for an adapter that converts from the metric M6 x 1mm metric thread to 5/16×24 UNF, which is the common aftermarket knob thread. So you can put almost any knob your heart wants on there, even balls.

The reason I tried it is a guy I know machined a heavier knob for his axmc and it improved the throw of the bolt, so I was really just looking for something heavier.

That thing really brings a sort of ruger precision rifle energy to the table that I do not appreciate

Lol, I'm going to stand by the logic in my subsequent posts... I do however hate the look. I'm going to try and find some heavier that is ball-ish.

@ForgeValley if I were you out shooting with that thing, I would keep a nervous eye upon any storm clouds gathering in the distance.

AI gods not happy lol⚡
Interesting that you should mention that... I was supposed to be at the Nightforce ELR match in Wyoming this weekend. Something told me not to go and they are supposed to have major thunderstorms tomorrow. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased