• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Act of Valor

Re: Act of Valor

I went this evening after reading the positive comments from this thread. Very good movie. Definitely not the same old crap out of Hollywood. I took my 10 year old and he asked me after the movie; "what does Valor mean?" Worth the price of admission to get to explain it to him.

I loved movies like Blackhawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. Would you guys rank this movie up there with them?

I dont want to end up seeing another movie like "Shooter"

Just got back from seeing "Act of Valor"

Great movie... Those dudes are pretty badass! Scares the shit outta me, how efficiently they kill and complete their missions!!!

My eyes welled up a lil at the end... stupid allergies! lol

Trust me, it's not another movie like "Shooter"

Great flick! Screw the acting and review crap. It is what it is. A good war flick with a reminder for those who forget about the sacrifices made for our freedom. The boat scene was badass!

Movie just got a standing O at the theater I watched it in. First time I've ever seen that. Definately worth the admission price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved movies like Blackhawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. Would you guys rank this movie up there with them?

I dont want to end up seeing another movie like "Shooter" </div></div>

Its not the same kind of movie as those movies, but it is good. Its not a "Shooter" either, that was just another Hollywood gone wild gun movie. BHD and SPR were long, Hollywood productions, and Act of Valor has a different feel to it. I would go see it for yourself and decide. Worst case you are out 7 bucks.

Went with the Wife yesterday to watch. I was glad it was not a "Shooter" movie. I did see elements in it that I also saw in Blackhawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. I believe these elements are what people who've never been in need to see to remind them where we live.
The elements I'm talking about were...
*The sense of Duty these men share.
*The wife who knows how to show strong to her husband until he's gone out the door.
*The love and respect the men have for each other.
*An accurate portrayal of the Evil that is out there.

It's these things and more that the "Kum Bah Yah, COEXIST, OCCUPY" crowd will never understand.

Since opening weekend is about over I decided to scan to see the projected opening weekend take.

#1 by quite a bit (est. 24.7 million gross & 3039 theaters)
Even better, the exit surveys gave it a real high recommendation rating which means it should spend several weeks at the top and will have lots of repeat viewers.

There doesn't seem to be anything coming up to knock it down until Hunger Games is released on March 23.

I also scanned thru several dozen reviews by "professional critics" and am happy to say that quite a few really hated it. Happy for me because it reinforces my lack of respect for that particular brand of journalism. One actually had the stupidity to say " The movie fails to connect with the target audience". Guess there is no accounting for stupid and some people have actually managed to make a living out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed that none of the EoTech sights were on. Kinda bugged me, but that was the least of my worries. </div></div>
I noticed this too, but then realized that if the camera angle was off even one iota, you probably wouldn't see the reticle.

I was slightly disappointed in the acting and plot flow, but that wasn't exactly what I went to see anyway. Still got my moneys worth and definitely worth the watch.

What really impressed me was the artistry of the shots. One shot I wont forget is when ****(and this is no spoiler alert, if you haven't seen it yet, pay attention to the following)**** they were creeping through the jungle on the way to rescue the CIA broad, and the camera is looking at one of the gentlemen through a spider's web while the spider catches and kills it's prey. I wonder how many takes it took to get that one right???...

Either way the cinematography is second to none, pure art and pure Bandito Bros.

I just came back from the theater. Awesome movie I can't wait for the DVD to come out to buy it. I saw a lot of tears in the movie theater during the last scene.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For some reason, the scene towards the beginning gave me chills, when they're all doing the HALO jump. </div></div>

Again... camera work, made you feel like you were jumping with them enit.

I saw it last night and agree with everything good said above about this movie. I thought it was awesome. Sure you could tell that the non-actors weren't comfortable delivering lines that are the realm of a "real" actor. I'd much rather have the "real guys" doing the deeds as they are actually done. Much more interesting than the best acting. Rather than the 1-2 really good parts in most movies, this one is full of them. Depending upon your perspective, of course.

Just got home from it.

The actors were fine, but the story and script the actors had to follow was a little bland.

If you like all action with no background or build up, then you will love this movie. The ending was pretty predictable as well.

I liked it but didnt love it. Favorite part was the poem at the ending to his son.

I also kept saying to myself: "Surely one of the SEALs has a freakin hand grenade." I think they threw one the whole movie dipsite all of their engagements.

We caught it last night. Two thumbs up despite it's shortcomings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got home from it.

The actors were fine, but the story and script the actors had to follow was a little bland.

If you like all action with no background or build up, then you will love this movie. The ending was pretty predictable as well.

I liked it but didnt love it. Favorite part was the poem at the ending to his son.

</div></div>

This is what I thought at first. After, at home while making lunch for tomorrow, a thought occurred to me. I'm sure there is no elaborate build up to their missions. Here's the mission. Get it done. After I thought about it like that it all fell together a bit better. No story needed. The mission(s) is the story.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved movies like Blackhawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. Would you guys rank this movie up there with them?

I dont want to end up seeing another movie like "Shooter"</div></div>

Was Shooter that bad?
I watched it 1.5 times and did not think it was the worst ever.....was not the best, but there have been much worse as far as those movies go.
Ok I remember the part messing around at the cabin he was shooting a CheyTac now

I am thinking about seeing it Tues. Based on all the pos replies pretty sure I won't be let down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b0xcrash</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved movies like Blackhawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. Would you guys rank this movie up there with them?

I dont want to end up seeing another movie like "Shooter"</div></div>

Was Shooter that bad?
I watched it 1.5 times and did not think it was the worst ever.....was not the best, but there have been much worse as far as those movies go.
Ok I remember the part messing around at the cabin he was shooting a CheyTac now

I am thinking about seeing it Tues. Based on all the pos replies pretty sure I won't be let down. </div></div>

IDK i just flat out did not like the movie, maybe it was the special affects but it did not appeal to me.

I liked it. It shed some light on what they sacrifice to serve their country. The personal struggles they go thru. I recommend anyone that appreciates military service to go watch it.

book is better as it provides more background and detail, but movie is still well worth seeing.

Poem at the end very poignant!

Good movie. I'd recommend it.

My main peeve with the movie (and hundreds of others) is the stupid digital Star Wars view when looking through binoculars...

I liked the movie, but was glad I'd read the book first. Sure helps to fill in the story.
I'll get the DVD when it comes out.
Rush talked about it on his show yesterday quite a bit, he loved it. That should send a few more folks to the movie.

Warning... this may contain some "spoiler" information for those that have not seen it. I just wanted to speak on a few things that set this movie apart for me...

I went to see this movie with a very open mind. I had not read the book yet, but it's on my short list.

There were a few things that stood out to me. First, the scene where they are moving to extract... they are in the back of the truck... two Team Members are dealing with the hostiles behind them, one TM is working on the wounded, and the other TM's are up front, driving, navigating, calling obstacles, etc... the scene where the one TM looks to the rear, sees that his other TM's are on it, dealing the hate... he was free to work on the casualty. This was VERY real to me. Knowing that you are there, in harms way, and your mates have your back. That was not lost on me.

The other part that stood out to me, was the guy that played "Senior Chief"... he delivered choppy lines, most of the movie. Until he got into the interrogation scene with Christo. Then, it flowed. Definitely "real" and his comfort zone. There were so many lines that are second nature to those who live this. "My Shit Filter is FULL"... I laughed. I've heard / said that for years.

Another scene that really stood out to me, was the scene where "Chief" was slugging it out with Abu Shabal. Both are exchanging rounds, in a close quarters engagement, and "Chief" takes a few to the vest... arms... legs... etc. But, he continue to fight. He transitions to his sidearm... and fights... his sidearm locks back the slide, empty... but, he fights through it. Abu Shabal runs his AK dry... takes cover, and "Chief" goes for a mag change. The camera goes dark and light, dark and light... to simulate him almost loosing consciousness. Yet, he didn't give up. He kept trying to get the fresh magazine in the pistol, to re engage. This was VERY real to me. It's all about mindset. The will to survive, to keep going, until the lights are out.

Also, little things... like when the SEAL's would change magazines... they would yell out "Changing"... even when no one was around. It shows the level of subconscious competence that they have achieved.

Maybe I look too deeply into things... but, I thought those things were what set this movie apart.

I apologize if I inserted any spoilers for those that have not seen it... it was not my intent. I just wanted to add my thoughts...

Great job to the men who filmed this... and my hat is off to those out there on the tip of the spear, in harms way every day.

Cheers!

The gunboat extraction was awesome, I felt relief just sitting there in the theater when they rolled in and started dealing... Would make a grown man tear up seeing your boys come to the rescue.

Interesting on weapons choices, it was nice to see no AA-12's, but I thought they had adopted the SCAR-H as an option? I dont know what those guys carry but seems they could have any weapon they want....

I wish they would have not killed any of the SEAL's in the movie, personal preference and I know why they did it, but it would be nice to see this type of movie where our boys all come home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Warning... this may contain some "spoiler" information for those that have not seen it. I just wanted to speak on a few things that set this movie apart for me...

I went to see this movie with a very open mind. I had not read the book yet, but it's on my short list.

There were a few things that stood out to me. First, the scene where they are moving to extract... they are in the back of the truck... two Team Members are dealing with the hostiles behind them, one TM is working on the wounded, and the other TM's are up front, driving, navigating, calling obstacles, etc... the scene where the one TM looks to the rear, sees that his other TM's are on it, dealing the hate... he was free to work on the casualty. This was VERY real to me. Knowing that you are there, in harms way, and your mates have your back. That was not lost on me.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The other part that stood out to me, was the guy that played "Senior Chief"... he delivered choppy lines, most of the movie. Until he got into the interrogation scene with Christo. Then, it flowed. Definitely "real" and his comfort zone. There were so many lines that are second nature to those who live this. "My Shit Filter is FULL"... I laughed. I've heard / said that for years.</span>

Another scene that really stood out to me, was the scene where "Chief" was slugging it out with Abu Shabal. Both are exchanging rounds, in a close quarters engagement, and "Chief" takes a few to the vest... arms... legs... etc. But, he continue to fight. He transitions to his sidearm... and fights... his sidearm locks back the slide, empty... but, he fights through it. Abu Shabal runs his AK dry... takes cover, and "Chief" goes for a mag change. The camera goes dark and light, dark and light... to simulate him almost loosing consciousness. Yet, he didn't give up. He kept trying to get the fresh magazine in the pistol, to re engage. This was VERY real to me. It's all about mindset. The will to survive, to keep going, until the lights are out.

Also, little things... like when the SEAL's would change magazines... they would yell out "Changing"... even when no one was around. It shows the level of subconscious competence that they have achieved.

Maybe I look too deeply into things... but, I thought those things were what set this movie apart.

I apologize if I inserted any spoilers for those that have not seen it... it was not my intent. I just wanted to add my thoughts...

Great job to the men who filmed this... and my hat is off to those out there on the tip of the spear, in harms way every day.

Cheers! </div></div>

I just got back from it. Powerful shit, particularly the Chief's gunfight with Shabal, as you noted. Totally believable hand hit, but he never gives up.

And the interrogation was fucking great. So look, Crisco...

as a camera owning guy, the one that was catching me off guard was when they had the canon camera for recon, it looked like a 55-250 kit lens with some pantyhose on the end, i dont think it could go that far for those close of pics based upon pictures ive taken in the past.

Saw it last night with my Dad and my boy. Great movie. Gotta love the fast boat extraction....Mini guns are a great equalizer!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as a camera owning guy, the one that was catching me off guard was when they had the canon camera for recon, it looked like a 55-250 kit lens with some pantyhose on the end, i dont think it could go that far for those close of pics based upon pictures ive taken in the past. </div></div>

I thought it was the same lens with the hose on it just for anti-relfelction realism. There is no way that camera could take those shots but hey, its just a movie.

I liked watching the difference between the SEAL's and the bad guys with respect to firearms handling.
SEAL's were usually one or two well aimed shots to put the target down and visually follow the target down to verify before moving on.
The "natives" for lack of a better word, were mostly just doing the spray and pray method as learned by watching Hollywood movies.
Only other movie I remember seeing the same degree of firearm discipline was the hostage rescue mission in the movie "Proof Of Life".

I especially liked all the head shots the sniper made, right into the old medulla oblongata, and watching them go limp as a sack of potatoes without a squeak.
And he did it through a chain link fence no less.

Must be Marine trained.

Other than that, things were a bit compressed for me. I know they tried to fit a lot in the movie, but they had the same guys in the South Pacific, North Africa, Mexico, Norfolk, and whatever Central American shithole that was early on. There are other assests available with capabilities, and they are only a encrypted signal away.
And personally, I think the guy should have yelled "grenade" and kicked it across the room. There really was no need to jump on it, IMO. And with the Body Armor we wear now he wouldn't have been draining out like that. He might even have survived without frag penetration, though his ribs and sternum would be hurting a lot.
But it's the movies. I think they could have come up with something better than jumping on a frag though.