• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action Poll

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
I'm trying to get an idea of which you guys think is the better action for all around ease of build and can be fit to any and every stock. The reason for this last comment is I have read that Mr. Gradous only uses Surgeon acions and specific stocks for a specific reason. I don't know if GAP, Mr. Dixon, Spec Ops etc.. all have the same policy with their builds so that's what I'd like to know. I apologize if I have not realized one or a few actions don't come in a lefty either. This would probably make the selection process easier huh?

I'm a lefty shooting on a righty platform. While prone is ok it's still a bitch to secure the stock with your non-trigger hand then have to let go to manipulate the bolt and then get re-aligned again. I'd like to do everything the right way. I figure I'll still have my righty to train with while I wait for my build to complete so it's not something I need right now, that's why I'm not buying a new/used gun....well that and lefty's are about as easy to find as needle in a haystack plus I need to purchase the components in pieces for my wife's sanity and lesser sticker shock.

I'd love to hear from the Smiths on why they use certain actions or if I'm just speculating that they actually have a preference.

Re: Action Poll

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there was no "other" choice, i prefer gay/bi action </div></div>

What a very insightful, on-topic post.

I'd recommend building what YOU want and then finding a smith to put it together for you. After all, it is to be a custom rifle, right? Look at each action and see which one suits your personal preferences.

As far as which smiths prefer what, you could call and ask them before you buy if chosen smith plays a part in your decision.

I do know you can get lefty Stillers.

I have one of everything above except for the Surgeons. They weren't making lefties for the years I was searching out actions, so I found people that were.

I buy Defiance or BigHorn now. The BigHorn that I've been running in matches for the last year has been an awesome tool and I wouldn't trade that rifle for anything.

ETA: Mr. Gradous heavily recommends the Surgeons for his stuff, but that doesn't mean he won't build on a BigHorn if you really want it. He does a "customer supplied parts" build and Lowlight has a BigHorn action rifle that he built during the Gradous Rifle class.

I know that Short Action Customs will happily build on a BigHorn if that's what you want.

I've had Stiller, Defiance, trued Remingtons, Bighorns, and Surgeons. I vote Surgeon.

Thanks guys, If I forgot to mention any actions like Bighorn its because I didn't even know about them. I'll have to take a look.

Any of the actions you listed would be excellent to build off of. What will be the rifles intended purpose?

Of the ones you listed, I'd go Surgeon (591). Integral .250” recoil lug, 20 MOA 1913 picatinny rail and side mounted bolt stop in a 700 footprint.

I would also take a look at the Black Ops Precision offering.
Model 911 "Stand Alone"

When I bought an action for my F-TR build I got a Defiance.
One of the features for me is that it does NOT have an integral rail. My NF 32BR needs a 30MOA rail to get to 1000, if I got something with an integral 20 I'd have to get another scope or put it in some kind of offset rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WSprtuaL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of the actions you listed would be excellent to build off of. What will be the rifles intended purpose?

Of the ones you listed, I'd go Surgeon (591). Integral .250” recoil lug, 20 MOA 1913 picatinny rail and side mounted bolt stop in a 700 footprint.

I would also take a look at the Black Ops Precision offering.
Model 911 "Stand Alone" </div></div>
Well right now I have a Rem 700 AAC in an AICS and its heavy to lug around. Granted I'm not hunting with it so I can't really bitch too much. The intended purpose is so I can have something to grow into, something great to start with so I don't have to change out parts over time like I see myself wanting to do with my Remington 700. I'd like to get into hunting as I have friends who do it who always ask if I want to go but I never had the rifle to do so. I now have the rifle but since I'm shooting lefty on a righty, bolt manipulation is a PITA.

Have a Surgeon 591 and a Defiance Templar (both GAPs). Both are very, very good, but I'd have to give a slight nod to the Templar. To me, it's slightly "tighter" and feels just a tad smoother than the Surgeon. YMMV.

Stillers are true drop in for any remington cut out stocks. Other actions could require minor mods.

My vote went to Stiller Actions. The Tac A/W allows you to run AI or double stack AW mags. I am waiting on one of these for my 260 build. Every rifle I have had built on a Stiller is an absolute hammer.

If you want an integrated rail, Stiller is making an action with an integrated rail that will also run AI or AW mags.

I voted for the Surgeon, but the truth is you will NOT go wrong with any of them. I also would love to get my hands on a Big Horn action and see how they are, they look very nice.

I voted surgeon also. Even though I have a build almost done with a Defiance S/A. I would have voted for both but couldnt.

Yep, I knew that my favorite was going to be in the lead. That doesn't mean I don't plan to use the other brands in future builds, just that I have a preference. Like with women, some men like blond, brunette, redhead. They all do the trick, and can be amazing quality. You have to do your part too

It's kind of funny to see the different results in different shooting crowds.

On the line at an NRA HP/Palma shoot most of the shooters won't even know what most of the choices listed here are, but you won't have enough fingers/toes to count all the BAT actions on the line.

Wow, Surgeon is crushing it. I actually had a short pm'ing conversation with Mr. Gradous yesterday. What really peaked my interest in his custom shop a while back is how he lets people come and assist him in building their own rifle.

Let me also clarify something as well, this is a thread about actions and not about the smiths on this board so I hope all the good builders don't think I'm forgetting about them or discrediting them in any way.

I guess maybe I should have given a bit more informaion as to what I'm looking for. Since this will be for a .308 a 20 moa rail built in shouldn't be a problem since I'm maxing it out to 1000 - 1100 yards.....in due time of course. Also, I have no clue as to how all of the non-tube/metal stocks out there feel so one of my concerns was being limited to only a few. That and the fact that this will be a lefty so I'm sure some of the companies don't offer some of their line in lefty any way.

I have both Surgeon and Stiller and I don't think you can go wrong with either. At the end of the day it comes down to what works best for your intended use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
VJJPunisher said:
there was no "other" choice, i prefer gay/bi action </div></div>

This guy never has anything of worth adding just BS comments

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
VJJPunisher said:

</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
VJJPunisher said:

</div></div>

+1 </div></div>

TTT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
VJJPunisher said:
there was no "other" choice </div></div>

</div></div>

+1 </div></div>
+2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THE_Shithead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
VJJPunisher said:
there was no "other" choice </div></div>

</div></div>

+1 </div></div>
+2 </div></div>

BUMP!

Since you are a lefty like myself, you are going to need a Defiance, Stiller, or trued Lefty Rem 700.

Any will work, I have a Defiance on the way, they are spendy, but its the only action you will ever have to buy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Sasquatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THE_Shithead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
tylerw02 said:
</div></div>

+1 </div></div>
+2 </div></div>

BUMP! </div></div>

^ what he said

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, If I forgot to mention any actions like Bighorn its because I didn't even know about them. I'll have to take a look. </div></div>
take a look at the wolf precision BTA actions. they are made by BAT machine for wolf precision. they incorporate a intergral 20 MOA picatinny rail and integral recoil lug. did i mention they come in lefty. check our wolf precision's web site called allhogsgotoheaven. these actions look to be like the new hot ticket item

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric K.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, If I forgot to mention any actions like Bighorn its because I didn't even know about them. I'll have to take a look. </div></div>
take a look at the wolf precision BTA actions. they are made by BAT machine for wolf precision. they incorporate a intergral 20 MOA picatinny rail and integral recoil lug. did i mention they come in lefty. check our wolf precision's web site called allhogsgotoheaven. these actions look to be like the new hot ticket item</div></div>
They sound tight as shit to me. Great if your looking to bind up your action during a match.

On the Surgeon, I don`t like the integral base. I know it makes the action stiffer but I prefer a base that is seperate. I have shot most custom actions and as far as accuracy is concerned, a trued Rem 700 is just as accurate as the highest dollar custom action.

Well I have to say I feel good about the results.

I will soon have my 3rd Surgeon action. I bought it from Brownells during a sale. Im thinking about a fat shorty 260 - maybe 20" Kreiger 8:1 MTU on a whiskey 3 chassis.

I voted for the Surgeon. In the end they are all great, outstanding actions. But.......they are all compared to one, and that is Surgeon. Translation, they are the standard by which all others are measured. Just got my first after trying several others, and love it. No matter what you choose, you'll be more than fine

I'm a CRF kinda guy, but since everything in the poll is push, Surgeon offers the most for the money. One piece bolt, integral recoil lug and rail, side mount stop, and set up for AI mags.

Surgeon will have the Lefty 591 available in the near future so I wouldn't rule them out just because they don't make a lefty....yet.

Dustin

Differences like rails, recoil lugs, and bolt handles, are easy to spot. I wish you guys, that really know these actions, would talk about some of the more technical/less obvious differences in them. For example, on the Surgeon website it says
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In the middle of the left bolt raceway is an anti-jam rail, the purpose of this rail is to prevent a round from lodging in the raceway when single loading the rifle through the ejection/loading port.

The raceway on the right hand side has an anti-bind rail just below the ejection/loading port, the purpose of this rail is to insure smooth bolt operation as the locking lug passes through the loading port.</div></div>
Do the other actions not have these features or do they just not mention them?

I really don't think that there is $50 differance in any of them. Sure the Surgeon has intergral lug and integral base. But, I don't find it necessary for an action. I think that I would bust my scope to peices before my base would give. Just like scope rings, my $50 Burris 3 screw tacticals are just as strong IMHO as $150 Nightforce. Glass, Stock Action and Barrel are nothing to be skimped on but after you reach a level 10 then price is what you are left with. If a Surgeon makes you sleep better at night go for it. Just remember a mortgage can keep you up as well.

That being said. All prices equal, I'd take the Sugeon.

I'll play

my honest to goodness opinion is use a BAT VRPIC or a Surgeon 591. I have owned both.

The BAT VRPIC has a intrgal lug and rail. The 591 does too!

BAT pros: if Salt bath Nitrided as BAT reccomends there is not a action that comes close to running as smooth.
BAT cons: I wish the ejector kicked the rounds out further than 6 inches from the gun. Also you will feel grit in your BAT before you will in a 591

Surgeon pros: Built like a tank for tactical use. Tried and true from the best shooters.
Surgeon Cons: I wish the action in the white was a little cleaner looking.

Some say all the intergal features are not needed. That may be true. But for what a custom rifle cost to have built right, I don't mind spending a little extra to have action built like a tank.

IMO I would go BAT or Surgeon. Although I'll upset some buds that have defiance actions I'm just not happy with them.

BTW I have a stock on order with a 591 inlet
wink.gif

surgeon for small calibers, 308's & 338's ........
BAT for large calibers, 408's & 50's ........

If you are going to get it near sand or run it in a dusty environment I would stay with a blueprinted Remington (don't bush the bolt).
Or just go Accuracy International.

Surgeon doesn't like sand or grit and Bat just hates it....Can't comment on the others.

Otherwise I don't think the action choice matters.
God help me, but I get out shot by shit action rifles all the time....Savage even!
A dirty old Mauser in 7X57 was the last to humiliate me.......The old basterd had to jiggle and wiggle the bolt just to get it closed...His last 1000 yard group measured 7 inches in horrible conditions.....Jezuz Wept!

Just sayin'
smile.gif