• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing adjustable buttplates for foundation stocks?

AFancyPenguin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2019
MN
As the title states, just wondering if anyone has had good experiences with an adjustable butt plate for a foundation stock? I think I'd be good with a 2way. I saw these but can't find any good fit, finish, or installation reviews.

Reactions: bakerp30
Curious on this conversation as well. Came across another similar to what is linked above but notably cheaper:

Agreed that the Masterclass hardware is the best. I can not figure why more shooters don't use an adjustable butt pad to eliminate cant and get the pad to fit comfortably in the shoulder. I guess they don't want anything associated with the funny looking "straight-jacket, iron-sight, Palma crowd" because we shoot on square 1,000-yard ranges and get two free sighters.

Reactions: 308pirate
The best: https://masterclassstocks.com/accessories.html

You precision rifle guys are decades behind on this stuff compared to the NRA match rifle guys
Thanks, I reached out to him and it's very reasonable for purchase and him installing. I've never run a stock with an adjustable butt plate - so provided my LOP is good already, does being able to lift the butt plate vertically help in positional or is it more beneficial for prone/benchrest?

Thanks, I reached out to him and it's very reasonable for purchase and him installing. I've never run a stock with an adjustable butt plate - so provided my LOP is good already, does being able to lift the butt plate vertically help in positional or is it more beneficial for prone/benchrest?
Those buttplate adjustments were designed for NRA high-power which is positional shooting with a sling (offhand, sitting, and prone).

or is it more beneficial for prone/benchrest?
I use the adjustable buttplate on my F-T/R rifle mostly when shooting prone. I raise the pad to get it out from underneath my collarbone. I also turn the pad 10 degrees inward to fit my body and prevent any canting. It fits me like a glove when checking NPA with my eyes closed and the scope is plumb when I open them.

On the occasional "Practical Rifle" match that I use this F-T/R rifle, I lower the buttpad for positional shooting but adjust the inboard cant to fit the shoulder pocket and leave it. It's not practical to keep adjusting it again during a match.

Reactions: Dank27
For those above interested in this, I shipped the stock to Alex at Masterclass today to have his 2-way buttplate installed. Which for me will be cutting the stock down a little then installing for a bit shorter LOP.

I will update with pics and such in a couple weeks when I get it back.

Reactions: tydex21
The below pictures are an unmodified stock (without spacer) and the Masterclass 2-Way installed. It dropped my LOP from about 13-1/4" to 12-7/8". He can take off less of the stock if you're comfortable with a more standard 13"+ LOP. If I find this is too short he has a spacer that can be added to lengthen as needed. However, if you have the flush cup on the bottom (I did) of the stock you have to cut on either side of it as it does not come out; or specifically order the stock without that flush cup. For reference, his 2-way piece is 1.3" I believe.

IMG_20200903_172959.jpg
IMG_20200903_173040.jpg

The below pictures are an unmodified stock (without spacer) and the Masterclass 2-Way installed. It dropped my LOP from about 13-1/4" to 12-7/8". He can take off less of the stock if you're comfortable with a more standard 13"+ LOP. If I find this is too short he has a spacer that can be added to lengthen as needed. However, if you have the flush cup on the bottom (I did) of the stock you have to cut on either side of it as it does not come out; or specifically order the stock without that flush cup. For reference, his 2-way piece is 1.3" I believe.

View attachment 7415585
View attachment 7415586
I’ve used the 100 Strait kit (Midway carries them) as they are thin and light but have good hard steel where needed.
Do you happen to know how thick the Masterclass is and what it weighs?

I’ve used the 100 Strait kit (Midway carries them) as they are thin and light but have good hard steel where needed.
Do you happen to know how thick the Masterclass is and what it weighs?
The two way adds 1.3" to the rifle (or you cut i t back as shown above on mine). The 3 and 4 way plates add more.

Reactions: Baron23

View attachment 7415585
View attachment 7415586

Looks awesome! Have you been out to shoot it yet? Is it what you hoped it would be? I too have a foundation and I'd like to raise the buttpad... not sure about canting it. Curious to hear a review now that you've had it.

Looks awesome! Have you been out to shoot it yet? Is it what you hoped it would be? I too have a foundation and I'd like to raise the buttpad... not sure about canting it. Curious to hear a review now that you've had it.
I'm happy with it, so much so my second is getting shipped back right now. After having the adjustability on one it feels odd not being able to adjust.

I raised the buttpad up an inch or so, not a ton, but it is noticable when shooting positional stuff. That said, is it necessary? Nope, tons of people have shot without for a years but to me it was worth it getting that additional bit of comfort.

Should also note, I lowered my LOP a half inch or so which helped in the comfort in positional as well.

Reactions: lash
Did mine myself earlier this year and a loggerhead at the same time. Pretty straight forward for a dyi guy.

Attachments

• 5AA12019-7257-4745-910B-059972623E65.jpeg
    5AA12019-7257-4745-910B-059972623E65.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 2B4ADEF2-4D55-4DBC-A088-0EF4AC3F5CF6.jpeg
    2B4ADEF2-4D55-4DBC-A088-0EF4AC3F5CF6.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 150BF3EA-4483-4B8D-A0E9-D30DC8750048.jpeg
    150BF3EA-4483-4B8D-A0E9-D30DC8750048.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 1BA89996-857F-4480-8C5B-D59A1FCF8DF7.jpeg
    1BA89996-857F-4480-8C5B-D59A1FCF8DF7.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 222
  • E355D045-9B21-4E13-A9D6-DD75A04EFB7D.jpeg
    E355D045-9B21-4E13-A9D6-DD75A04EFB7D.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 38AFBFC8-05AD-4043-B85E-1343BCCA2343.jpeg
    38AFBFC8-05AD-4043-B85E-1343BCCA2343.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: powdahound76
I too have a foundation and I'd like to raise the buttpad... not sure about canting it.
Do a little experiment. Get into position, close your eyes and pull the stock into position/load the bipod/etc. Re-open your eyes and check if the rifle is slightly canted. If yes, then adjusting the buttpad to counteract the rifle canting is worthwhile. My buttpad is canted slightly inboard to match my shoulder. The argument against canted buttstocks that "it will throw off weak-side shooting" is pretty much BS.

Reactions: Dank27
So I should have updated this thread but I kind-of forgot. I ended up picking up a couple of these cant and height adjustable plates - https://stockpositioning.com/produc...-pad-adjustable-butt-plate-assembly-black-sps. They aren't overly expensive and are thin enough to essentially leave the LOP the same which is what I wanted too. If you like DIY and have a belt sander or grinder this is super easy. I did two in about 3 hours.

I wish I would have take more pictures but I attached some of the finished product.

They are grind to fit and the process is pretty easy but I can try to write up more detail on how I did it if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 20200925_091737.jpg
    20200925_091737.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 20200925_091825.jpg
    20200925_091825.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 20200925_091832.jpg
    20200925_091832.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: AFancyPenguin
I'll post a couple tips for anyone wanting to do this.

1) The single bolt that locks the adjustable plate is too long to allow everything to bolt up. Very careful grinding to length allowed full thread engagement with the threaded plate and didn't require any relief cuts in the stock.

2) I wanted the uncoated version but when I ordered they only had black. In the end it was helpful because I took a hardened tip scribe to trace the outline of the stock when adjustable plate was screwed to the stock. The black showed the scribe line well and didnt wear off. Grind until the line JUST disappears and add a quick chamfer around the edge for a nice heirloom fit.

3) The black plates are SUPER slippery so even when the bolt was uncomfortably tight the plate could move with a good grip. They send a grip sandpaper type tape which when combined with a 120 grit finished on the surface of the plates, locks them together quite well with a gentle snug of the bolt. I trimmed the sandpaper with a brand new utility blade once I got the buttpad where I wanted to make it look cleaner.

Hope that helps someone!

I used the sps system as well on mine. Got the uncoated as you can see in the pictures and just hit with black krylon once fitted. I cut mine fairly close to stock and then used a straight carbide bit with bearing on the router table and just let the bearing ride the stock made for a beautiful fit to stock. That was a suggestion from another hide member when I did mine months back and it worked flawlessly. I’ve experienced zero shifting with mine hope you get that figured out. After some testing I went back with blue locktite also.

Reactions: AFancyPenguin
I used the sps system as well on mine. Got the uncoated as you can see in the pictures and just hit with black krylon once fitted. I cut mine fairly close to stock and then used a straight carbide bit with bearing on the router table and just let the bearing ride the stock made for a beautiful fit to stock. That was a suggestion from another hide member when I did mine months back and it worked flawlessly. I’ve experienced zero shifting with mine hope you get that figured out. After some testing I went back with blue locktite also.
Yep the coated ones are slippery. I stripped the coating and added a sandpaper grip tape and it worked great. Once I got the cant and height set I trimmed the tape to remove the exposed stuff. The edges double as a great reference point to put the butt plate back in the same spot after I move it for cleaning. 👍