• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on restoring moldy Springfield 1903?

Nova98Cobra

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
Arlington, VA
A buddy found this 1903 in a damp basement. It’s totally covered in mold. Before I go at it with a bleach water mix I was wondering if their is a better safer way to restore it without risking any damage to the original stock? Anybody have any experience with this type of thing?

Attachments

• 7B16F364-01A6-4915-8177-50EA9AA53787.jpeg
    7B16F364-01A6-4915-8177-50EA9AA53787.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 203
First dry it out completely (in the sun or put a space heater on it). Then OOO steel wool, Simple Green, and elbow grease. You probably don't want to put any harsh chemicals on it till it's ready for oil, and that's not till it's completely dry and free of any surface mold. What does the metal look like, or was it just the stock?

Reactions: RTH1800
First dry it out completely (in the sun or put a space heater on it). Then OOO steel wool, Simple Green, and elbow grease. You probably don't want to put any harsh chemicals on it till it's ready for oil, and that's not till it's completely dry and free of any surface mold. What does the metal look like, or was it just the stock?
Hey thanks for the quick response! The metal looks fine (great actually) just the stock and leather sling seems to have been attacked by this mold

Place the stock/handguard in a clear plastic bag and set it out in the sun or leave it in your vehicle for 2 or 3 hours so the old oil, grease, dirt, ect can sweat out.
While the wood is still warm wipe it down good with a clean cloth until all the oil possible is soaked up.
Next, pour some RLO or BLO in a pan or set the whole can outside until it get good and warm.
Pour some of the warm oil on another clean cloth and rub it on the wood.
Hang or prop it up until the oil completely soaks into the grain.
Repeat until wood wont absorb anymore oil.
Take another clean cloth and and rub the wood down to get any excess oil of and let dry overnight before reassembly.

IF the wood is really gunked up with old, dried oil/grease you can clean it with household ammonia(outside of course) and 00/000 steel wool.
Scrub it good until you can see the open grain of the wood.
Next, immediately wash it in hot water and Dawn detergent and let dry thoroughly before placing it in the plastic bag.

I would not use any harsh cleaners unless it is absolutely necessary. Ballistol was developed in 1904 to clean and protect metal, wood and leather. I use it to clean black powder rifle barrels and it's never hurt the wood or lockwork.

I'd remove all the metal from the stock and try Ballistol on the stock and sling. A course rag can be used or 000 steel wool if needed.

If Ballistol does not clean the stock to your satisfaction, you can use TSP cleaner mixed with water. It's trisodium phosphate and I've used it successfully on really cruddy Mauser stocks. If you do have to go this route, and the stock gets really wet, block the stock in a fixture before drying to prevent the stock from twisting and warping.

I like to use Tru Oil or BLO on stocks to protect them.

I use Goop hand cleaner on moldy stuff. I has lanolin it it so it's pretty gentle on stuff and it's actually GOOD for leather stuff.

One of my Martini's has been growing mold for years. Every time I take it out of the safe there's some on the wood. I've just sort of accepted it at this point, though I don't like it. Doesn't seem to matter what I wipe it down with, it comes back.

One of my Martini's has been growing mold for years. Every time I take it out of the safe there's some on the wood. I've just sort of accepted it at this point, though I don't like it. Doesn't seem to matter what I wipe it down with, it comes back.
Ah, British stock finishes. Use vegetable oil in the 'Linseed.' They almost never stop getting moldy.

Try rubbing it down with lacquer thinner a few times. Then give it a rubdown (if you can find it) with Warthog Oil from Purdey.

That usually cures everything. Lacquer thinner kills everything. Warthog oil seals and improves everything.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Mold is super easy to get off Wood. Just a rag and BLO. It won't hurt it either and it will most likely come out looking like new.

Do not do anything more abrasive than this. You shouldn't have to.

gentle and slowly unless you have experience working with wood . You can do it . You can do anything except fly or maybe you can best of luck . Send pics of what you do or at least the finished product .

Many good suggestions. Mine would be Balistol and a course rag or 0000 steelwool.

Reactions: ZG47A