• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero Precision Bolt Gun Teaser (Now newly announced SABR thread)

Corrosion?

Shinny bright bare metal stainless?

Cant imagine anyone actually needing to take advantage of any strenge or material differences. Then again I dont know enough to say what the real difference is.
Yeah I thought so too, yet none of my carbon steel barrels have shown rust any quicker than my stainless.

Actually..none of my guns have shown rust period..so who knows...and thats including gear Ive run in rainy and cold classes and thrown back in a bag with light lube after.

It was my understanding at one time that when it comes to the end of the life of a barrel, the chromoly will begin to lose accuracy, but the stainless will just sort of "crap out" on you.
I have never seen this phenomena, and it may have been true when SS barrels first became a thing, but I don't believe it applies now.
Then again, it could have been bullshit lore started to keep relevance.
Regardless, good chromoly barrels shoot great, good SS barrels shoot great.
It's all anecdotal evidence

True, although I don't understand why nitrided alloy steel receiver would be a hard pass compared to nitrided SS receiver, it's not like 416 is anything special when it comes to mechanical properties.
Most shooters don't have a clue about the subject and just repeat incorrect information over and over.

Reactions: Gtscotty
Found this image of the action. Looks like a floating bolt head design. You can also see the trigger hanger in the photo.

8CF4AF00-F402-49C4-9CA8-0F2F5EED6162.jpeg

Reactions: Hutch_WV
Most shooters don't have a clue about the subject and just repeat incorrect information over and over.
Still hearing that "tikka barrels shoot slow" on here daily. My chrono data disagreed with that, but it was also said in a youtube video by Lowlight, when he replaced his Tikka barrel, so people have somehow taken instances like that and treated them as fact.

For guys seemingly above the norm, when it comes to hobbies like shooting, where every single thing possible is measurable, we still seem to treat some things as gospel, and go out of the way to discourage any objective debate. Reloading, data driven, accuracy, data driven, upgrades, data driven.

We have all the means to prove/disprove any of these ideas with the large enough member-base, to have some accurate sample sizes, and seemingly no will to ever actually do so.

Reactions: 308pirate
Still hearing that "tikka barrels shoot slow" on here daily. My chrono data disagreed with that, but it was also said in a youtube video by Lowlight, when he replaced his Tikka barrel, so people have somehow taken instances like that and treated them as fact.

For guys seemingly above the norm, when it comes to hobbies like shooting, where every single thing possible is measurable, we still seem to treat some things as gospel, and go out of the way to discourage any objective debate. Reloading, data driven, accuracy, data driven, upgrades, data driven.

We have all the means to prove/disprove any of these ideas with the large enough member-base, to have some accurate sample sizes, and seemingly no will to ever actually do so.
most shooters are flat out ignorant to firearms, shooting, tactics, proper function, and common sense. My favorite is still mid vs carbine with all the 'it shoots softer' bs. How a rifle is set up matters more than non material dwell time. It's all become one giant placebo watch. Carbine class had mixed rifles, instructor, after everyone shot through, told everyone the carbine gas was mid and visa versa. He then said pretty soft compared right and most nodded their head like he was Jesus swearing they were better to shoot. Then he said he lied that the mids were carbine and stop believing all the bs out there etc etc. funny. you know, the same dopes that spend on $90 on an ambi selector due to looks but fire 99% never using it. Of course there are measurable differences in wear done by crane but it's IMMATERIAL and the replacement schedule doesn't change

20yrs ago people were smarter. More information today and people are dumber.

Let’s hope it’s nothing like the DD5. That thing is a huge hunk of shit.
I didn't even know DD5 existed until i fondled it today at LGS. Literally handling sig cross....then DD5.....Sig Cross is a NO BRAINER for a long list of reasons......and $1k cheaper!

most shooters are flat out ignorant to firearms, shooting, tactics, proper function, and common sense. My favorite is still mid vs carbine with all the 'it shoots softer' bs. How a rifle is set up matters more than non material dwell time. It's all become one giant placebo watch. Carbine class had mixed rifles, instructor, after everyone shot through, told everyone the carbine gas was mid and visa versa. He then said pretty soft compared right and most nodded their head like he was Jesus swearing they were better to shoot. Then he said he lied that the mids were carbine and stop believing all the bs out there etc etc. funny. you know, the same dopes that spend on $90 on an ambi selector due to looks but fire 99% never using it. Of course there are measurable differences in wear done by crane but it's IMMATERIAL and the replacement schedule doesn't change

20yrs ago people were smarter. More information today and people are dumber.
Ask someone to explain dwell time without googling it first

Still a due out: will they be produced consistently enough for shouldered prefits?
Honestly I feel the wisest choice they could have made is matching the origin headspace. Then prefit or barrel nut is already an established thing in the market. I don’t know why companies don’t try to go to a more standard set of headspace. I feel like it’s the next big leap. Faxon matched impacts headspace and I think it’s brilliant.

Looks like a smooth action with some decent features to it. Price point isn’t awful either. Don’t see what all the naysaying is about on here. Maybe just the old SH flame going haha.

Honestly I feel the wisest choice they could have made is matching the origin headspace. Then prefit or barrel nut is already an established thing in the market. I don’t know why companies don’t try to go to a more standard set of headspace. I feel like it’s the next big leap. Faxon matched impacts headspace and I think it’s brilliant.
I agree with the premise, but don't understand the reference to Faxon and impact? Is Faxon going to produce a bolt action that matches the headspace of the impact 737? Can't find any mention of such a beast.

Found this image of the action. Looks like a floating bolt head design. You can also see the trigger hanger in the photo.

View attachment 7789263
That's slick!

I might have to pick one up to build a right handed rifle to lend out. Integral recoil lug, integral pic rail, 60⁰ throw, Elmer Fudd (R700) footprint and trigger, barrel, barrel nut, headspace gauges, stock, bottom metal, mags, optic. Can put ine together in 30 minutes.

Kinda reminds me of a Surgeon 591 for The Poors. I'm all about the jUSt aS gUudD life.

That's slick!

I might have to pick one up to build a right handed rifle to lend out. Integral recoil lug, integral pic rail, 60⁰ throw, Elmer Fudd (R700) footprint and trigger, barrel, barrel nut, headspace gauges, stock, bottom metal, mags, optic. Can put ine together in 30 minutes.

Kinda reminds me of a Surgeon 591 for The Poors. I'm all about the jUSt aS gUudD life.

Just make sure you pick up some match burners, Shooters World, and Murom primers (which actually are some of the best in the world)

View attachment 7784579Aero just recently posted this…I’m interested to see what comes of it.

*Edit*: Aero has now announced that the SABR is coming soon (TBD), is a 700 action with Savage style interchangeable barrels, and will be selling the action for sub 1K and the chassis for sub 1.1K.

Sounds interesting

Dwell Time: the time a woman takes while thinking how she's gonna tell the pudd-knocker that just asked her out how to 'fuck off'.

• Haha
Reactions: moosemeat
CM vs SS barrels: I have an answer.....comes from a conversation I had with the Dean of cut rifle barrels 24 years ago......

Host "Lets talk price"

AERO REP:
"Lets see if I get Flamed on Snipers Hide here"

Holy shit.
Yeah, I am a big fan of not getting Flamed on this forum haha I am here to answer questions about this project as I am one of the devs. I am working on getting Aero here in an official capacity.

Honestly, for what they are offering... they should get flamed.

What's one reason not to buy a origin and a ACC?
Hey, if you don't like it don't buy it., both products are interchangeable with both Origin and ACC. Our manufacturing processes will severely cut down wait times for "custom actions". Origin and MDTs are great products I own several. All we are doing here is giving the sport more options this is our first entry we are a large manufacturer looking down the road that will be able to offer premium feature sets at great price points lessening the barrier of entry for new shooters wanting more custom options.

I am here to answer questions about this project as I am one of the devs. I am working on getting Aero here in an official capacity but until then Ill use my personal account. Some of you know me some of you dont. Ask away
Is this built with a specific 700 trigger in mind/around a specific trigger? What’s the firing pin travel with a said trigger?

I am here to answer questions about this project as I am one of the devs. I am working on getting Aero here in an official capacity but until then Ill use my personal account. Some of you know me some of you dont. Ask away
John,

One question I feel unanswered on here is headspace tolerance. Will Aero be holding tight enough tolerances to allow shouldered pre fit barrel?

Is this built with a specific 700 trigger in mind/around a specific trigger? What’s the firing pin travel with a said trigger?
It is built to accept R700 triggers via the hanger. We do not have a specific one we recommend, we are currently using Geissele, Trigger Tech and Timney. The average firing pin travel is around .24 pretty standard for Remington 700

Reactions: Familydude
It is built to accept R700 triggers via the hanger. We do not have a specific one we recommend, we are currently using Geissele, Trigger Tech and Timney. The average firing pin travel is around .24 pretty standard for Remington 700
Cool, is there any cock on close or is the handoff on bolt close really neutral with the triggers you’ve been testing with? What’s the pin tip diameter?

Do you also answer questions for Ballistic Advantage?

Not trying to derail it, but I've tried calling and leaving voicemails. They have a data breach.

My last order was sent back to me, twice now, from some overseas email address. Alarming as whoever this is now has all my personal info from the order..not sure what else. I checked on the owners group on FB and there are quite a few of us who are seeing this..so this isnt a me thing.

Reactions: jafo96
Hey, if you don't like it don't buy it., both products are interchangeable with both Origin and ACC. Our manufacturing processes will severely cut down wait times for "custom actions". Origin and MDTs are great products I own several. All we are doing here is giving the sport more options this is our first entry we are a large manufacturer looking down the road that will be able to offer premium feature sets at great price points lessening the barrier of entry for new shooters wanting more custom options.
This place can be brutally honest and over critical. Some people look at it as you entering an already flooded market with yet another R700 action and chassis. No real problem with that. It is what it is.

Speaking of looking down the road check these out. Maybe looking far enough down the road you can create something new and innovative. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/black-collar-arms-straight-pull-bolt-gun.7108242/

Not trying to derail it, but I've tried calling and leaving voicemails. They have a data breach.

My last order was sent back to me, twice now, from some overseas email address. Alarming as whoever this is now has all my personal info from the order..not sure what else. I checked on the owners group on FB and there are quite a few of us who are seeing this..so this isnt a me thing.

C'mon man

This place can be brutally honest and over critical. Some people look at it as you entering an already flooded market with yet another R700 action and chassis. No real problem with that. It is what it is.

Speaking of looking down the road check these out. Maybe looking far enough down the road you can create something new and innovative. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/black-collar-arms-straight-pull-bolt-gun.7108242/
Appreciate the feedback. I totally understand I was also the whipping boy on here when I was at Leupold and we released the MK5 line lol

Bro…

I don't, I am sorry.

Cool, is there any cock on close or is the handoff on bolt close really neutral with the triggers you’ve been testing with? What’s the pin tip diameter?
. Opening resets the cocking piece (firing pinhead) and is the majority of cocking, let's say .200, but when you close the bolt, the firing pin head engages the trigger sear just before going full closed and cocks it another .040. That is why there is some camming when rotating the bolt down. For that to push the ejectors back and push the rim under the extractor. Pin tip diameter is .068. The tip geometry is designed to reduce primer cratering beyond just having a tight fit to bolt

This is something being discussed right now. We are not in design lock yet and I will be pushing for this.
TBH, and this won't just be my opinion.

shouldered prefit barrel is a MUST especially if you plan to do action or barreled action separate

i'd match it to an impact or zermatt pattern. no need to reinvent the wheel. plus the end user can take advantage of endless prefit options

. Opening resets the cocking piece (firing pinhead) and is the majority of cocking, let's say .200, but when you close the bolt, the firing pin head engages the trigger sear just before going full closed and cocks it another .040. That is why there is some camming when rotating the bolt down. For that to push the ejectors back and push the rim under the extractor. Pin tip diameter is .068. The tip geometry is designed to reduce primer cratering beyond just having a tight fit to bolt

Thanks! Not for me but that seems to be well liked in the tactical community, for lighter bolt lift I believe vs doing the entirety of work during the opening. Especially considering you only have 60 degree to work I get it.

Thanks! Not for me but that seems to be well liked in the tactical community, for lighter bolt lift I believe vs doing the entirety of work during the opening. Especially considering you only have 60 degree to work I get it.
Totally, This won't be the only action we release either. I really appreciate the questions.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
TBH, and this won't just be my opinion.

shouldered prefit barrel is a MUST especially if you plan to do action or barreled action separate

i'd match it to an impact or zermatt pattern. no need to reinvent the wheel. plus the end user can take advantage of endless prefit options
I agree. My vote would be zermatt since you went with x 20 TPI already.

Another vote for origin thread pattern. Using Savage prefits is great, tapping into the existing shouldered prefit market from Proof, LRI, PVA and others is even better. Industry needs to standardize on this. If I already own a few origin prefits (I do) it's hard to justify getting a new action I can't use any of those barrels on. This was a deciding factor for me between trying a nucleus and buying another origin.

All the other aero products I have bought over the years have been excellent. Very excited to see you guys getting into this market.

Comments like this is why nobody who matters comes to talk to us.

Nobody has to give you a reason why they would buy this rifle over any other. Not unless you're footing the bill.
Have you been reading this thread? We are the consumers and they ARE listening. It's fine if you want to keep your opinions to yourself but I want to see a quality gun/action/chassis come to market. The fact that it's flooded gives us every reason to have high standards.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Lol, so when is the big reveal on exactly what this rifle brings to the table?

Nobody here has even seen one. Everyone is who is automatically saying "xyz is better" is ASSuming they know why. NOBODY can speak to the ergonomics, bolt lift, ease of adjustments, etc., etc., etc,. because nobody here has had one in their hands.

It's so fucking juvenile it's pathetic.