• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero Precision Bolt Gun Teaser (Now newly announced SABR thread)

I know someone who at 14 thou had instant case head separations.

They set headspace without engaging the extractor with the go gauge doing a remage swap.

Case head separation at .014"? Sounds fishy. Gas guns routinely grow brass on the first firing over .014" with in spec chambers.

Okay. And that's worst case scenario. But I would say Dasher brass grows at least that much during fireforming

I guess you didn't answer because we all know you just wouldn't be able to chamber a round.

In all those barrels, and more. I've literally never had a case head separation. The only set a gauges I ever bought was for my first barrel. It was an LRI barreled action. I'd already shot it. I wanted to remove the barrel so I could polish the fees ramp a little. When I reinstalled he barrel it failed the No Go. 🤷 I took it to a local smith and had him "fix" it. The closest I've come to a case head separation is shooting some range pick up blaster 223. I looked down to pick up some brass and saw one had separated about 50%
Peterson 300 norma brass is roughly .016 short of a go gauge. They seem to survive the first firing just fine. Not ideal but no kaboom.

Reactions: wind gypsy
Set headspace on a factory round. Send it.

Factory new brass is almost always smaller than SAAMI spec, if you set your chamber with a factory cartridge or brass you will most likely have a undersized headspace.

That’s an insane amount.
Fine with good brass for one time use but damn!
Ya, really unfortunate. I talked to them about it more than once since they were the first to make the brass after Norma. All they say is its “ in spec”. Thank you baby jesus for Lapua.

• Sad
Reactions: Steel head
Scotch Tape

Scotch Tape is .002", factory brass is almost always smaller than that. For example, I have two lots of 6.5G Hornady brass that is .010" smaller than a Go gage. Peterson 6CM brass I bought was .005" under.

Then electrical tape or whatever tape gets you there. Ive done it using a hornady modified case, it works. Crude but works.
Scotch Tape is .002", factory brass is almost always smaller than that. For example, I have two lots of 6.5G Hornady brass that is .010" smaller than a Go gage. Peterson 6CM brass I bought was .005" under.

Reactions: Steel head
Then electrical tape or whatever tape gets you there. Ive done it using a hornady modified case, it works. Crude but works.
62r9gs.jpg

I'm a proponent of shouldered prefits and an anti-gauger. But really, you can red loctite a barrel nut. But not everyone wants to be limited by a barrel nut for contours or have ugly barrel nut. If they can keep their actions with as good or better tolerances than a tikka. They've got a serious competitor in the budget action world. Maybe even beyond that.

I'm a proponent of shouldered prefits and an anti-gauger. But really, you can red loctite a barrel nut. But not everyone wants to be limited by a barrel nut for contours or have ugly barrel nut. If they can keep their actions with as good or better tolerances than a tikka. They've got a serious competitor in the budget action world. Maybe even beyond that.
After one check by a competent smith every action is GTG for pre fits

As for barrel nut prefits I can call NSS and it’s at my door in less than a week for $400.

Reactions: Familydude

Right, because you'll know to stack up random tape without the Go gage. I don't care what you do, and I've set HS on cases, but if you are swapping barrels regularly you're in for inconsistent HS.

Right, because you'll know to stack up random tape without the Go gage. I don't care what you do, and I've set HS on cases, but if you are swapping barrels regularly you're in for inconsistent HS.
cause all go gauges are correct

it's an endless debate

I dont own go/no guages. I dont swap barrels regularly. Ive Installed several. All I need is Calipers, headspace guage, case, random tapes. Its not rocket surgery.

If both bergara and tikka can pull it off prefits, I'm sure aero could do just fine keeping costs down. With their involvement in this thread I'm sure they've seen the interest (and maybe the value?). Just think of how the marketing could look! Those arfcom boys would have their socks blown off by the tolerances.

Aero surely won't loose customers because of it...

....pretty sure Aero already stated the direction they are planning to proceed on.

...and why...
Dont worry, they certainly can be convinced by the handful of people telling everyone else to buy an entirely completely different product, as a reason to change their entire model launch.

Clearly nobody at Aero Precision is more educated than these folks, and they must have not done any market research before coming up with this at all. I bet they just closed their eyes and pointed at a random thing on a wall and decided to build it.

/s

Dont worry, they certainly can be convinced by the handful of people telling everyone else to buy an entirely completely different product, as a reason to change their entire model launch.

Clearly nobody at Aero Precision is more educated than these folks, and they must have not done any market research before coming up with this at all. I bet they just closed their eyes and pointed at a random thing on a wall and decided to build it.

/s

....I wouldn't be surprised if they offered both eventually, same as they did with the AR15/M4E1 receivers, threaded and enhanced versions.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
This sounds like a excellent goal. I hope that it works out and helps to grow the sport. I know Aero has a big following and hopefully this product gets a few of them into their first custom bolt gun. I like that the action and chassis will be offered Ă  la carte rather than as just another affordable production rifle.

I agree with what a bunch of others have said here:
- Support for shouldered pre-fits is a necessity
- Using Origin tenon dimensions is a good idea

The problem I have encountered with barrel nut systems is that it is too difficult to get the exact same headspace when you take the barrel off and put it back on. 1 thou difference can be enough for your brass to no longer fit right. It is more of a convenience/function issue than accuracy issue. The ability to quickly and easily swap barrels or remove a barrel for cleaning is a big deal.
You bring up a really great point about convenience and function I really appreciate your feedback there.

as someone in the market and someone who loves aero products, I'm leaning on a pass here as I don't see how this is better than the seekins at the same price.

I bought a havak. Now I’m on my third because the first two were replaced by seekins, mostly because they sucked. So it ain’t that hard to “see how they could be better” than some odd ball 4 lug seekins that doesn’t have an integral rail (my seekins rail needed bedding because it didn’t fit the action worth a shit either). I gave up and had TS customs chamber a bartlein for my current Havak. I will say that new bolt is a giant upgrade IMO.

Don’t understand everyone being so quick to poopoo an action that is slated to be at a much better price point that similarly spec’d actions currently available.

Last edited:
My best guess is that they had to make that recessed bolt face cut to enable the bolt stop to work in the confines of the action.

Another thing to note on another photo from 8541 is that it has dual cocking cams. Barely visible, but it is there.

Looking forward to the final product @Areo!

Last edited:
My best guess is that they had to make that recessed bolt face cut to enable the bolt stop to work in the confines of the action.

Another thing to note on another photo from 8541 is that it has dual cocking cams. Barely visible, but it is there.

The biggest challenge that their engineers are going to face due to the layout they have chosen is reliable ejection. That must be the reason for the twin ejectors and strategic location of them.

Looking forward to the final product @Areo!
I am as well
It’s nothing that I need but it looks like a decent option.
And it’s a PNW company making jobs.

Any updates on these? Estimated availability timeframe?

Curious myself.
Still nothing on Aero’s website.

Are we seriously up in arms about getting an action we didn't know existed two months ago? Dude. Just buy an Origin.

Dude, first we were up in arms they'd even try to make an action. Now we're up in arms the action it is late. We're totally not going to buy it, and they're a terrible company for making it, but it's unconscionable they're taking so long.

I don’t think anybody is up in arms. It’s fun to tease though.

That's where you got out of line and had to be straightened out by the long arm of the.....
OIP (1).jpeg

If checking to see if there are any updates a month an a half after announcement counts as being up in arms.... Well I'm guilty as charged.

So on
I agree with the premise, but don't understand the reference to Faxon and impact? Is Faxon going to produce a bolt action that matches the headspace of the impact 737? Can't find any mention of such a beast.
So on a podcast, I believe with Tyler from Max Ordinate last year, the owner of (edit) Falkor was on to talk about their action. He said they were making it to the same headspace as impact, which he said was also the same as lone peak, that’s where I got that from.

Last edited: