• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

After almost a year... (EDM / RND / NF / PVS-22)

Re: After almost a year... (EDM / RND / NF / PVS-22)

How is the tube and bipod holding up? Any problems with it coming loose under fire?

Does RND have a website? I googled it but did not find anything.

blasrer7 http://www.rndedge.com/ is their web site they are getting ready to update it.

"How is the tube and bipod holding up? Any problems with it coming loose under fire?"
I have the RND "Tube" of my 408 and 50bmg and it is rock solid.

thanks jimmy m40a2,
I may have to risk divorce for this.

Wow, just found this post. What a fantastic work of art, thanks for sharing.

I just got my bipod in as well. I am very pleased with the quality of work. It functions well and Lloyd from RND was able to turn it around very quickly. With the old bipod gone I machined a handle to go in its place for ease of transport.

P1000486.jpg

P1000487.jpg

P1000488.jpg

P1000490.jpg

Sweet rig Dylanss!

I was going to do the handle below where the old bipod went but haven't got around to it.

Make a couple. I am sure people will want them. I sure do!

Again, very nice unit!

Regards,

Mountain Rogue

I think it would cost too much. I bought a stainless shoulder bolt and had to turn new threads on it (5/8-18) then get a piece of black delrin and machine the bore to slip over the shoulder bolt. The materials alone cost $50 and after machining I think it would run around $90. I don't think that many people would be interested in paying that much for a handle.

Holy crap that thing is nice! you should put some pix of groups on here.

Hey Dylanss, that's one heck of a nice system you have there. Have you been able to stretch it's legs out any?

I have taken it out to 600 yards so far. Later in June I will try for 2200 yards. I still have some issues I need to fix on the gun before it is ready for some long distance shooting. I will give an update when I take it out.

What is mounted on the lug of the receiver? Is that a carrying handle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dylanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it would cost too much. I bought a stainless shoulder bolt and had to turn new threads on it (5/8-18) then get a piece of black delrin and machine the bore to slip over the shoulder bolt. The materials alone cost $50 and after machining I think it would run around $90. I don't think that many people would be interested in paying that much for a handle. </div></div>

I don't know if I agree with that statement. After dropping $6k+ on a rifle I think most would be willing to pay a few hundred more to add that feature. I've been trying to find a local machinist/CNC who could fabricate something up for mine, but more along the lines of the Chey-Tac design. I hate to say this, but some of the airsofters have made some pretty nice CNC handles in their own workshops...

That is true. To be specific about the handle it is a stainless shoulder bolt that I got from Mcmaster. I had to cut off the threads and match them to the windrunner. The threads are 5/8-18 and I couldn't find any shoulder bolts that had those threads. Then I got a piece of delrin plastic tubing and I turned it so that it would slip over the shoulder bolt.

I took the windrunner out last weekend for some 1900 yard shooting. It does well at long distances but I didn't have enough ammo to see how consistant it shoots. I will have another chance in a few weeks.

Photo0030.jpg

Dylanss-

what the heck did you do (mod) to your cheek plate on that stock?! Is it my eyes from too many beers or did you cut and bend it to fit your cheek weld better?

I see you also put some sort of tube over the stock bars to strengthen them? or did you replace with new thicker bars? I was going to do this but instead get another stock stiffener from Tom Miller.

I modified a few things. The cheek pad has some rubber contact cemented to it but it was starting to peel off. I can't keep them on the butt stock.

As for the rods I machined some bigger ones. The rod stiffners help but these new ones are a night and day difference and it significantly strengthens up the butt stock. There is no more play in it. It will no longer retract though.

I also modified the lower bipod legs with some better feet. The stock ones would chatter when the rifle is recoiling. There is still some slop in the legs so I plan on taking the legs off and making my own custom 1" dia by .25" wall thickness bipod legs to stiffen up the front end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dylanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I modified a few things. The cheek pad has some rubber contact cemented to it but it was starting to peel off. I can't keep them on the butt stock.

As for the rods I machined some bigger ones. The rod stiffners help but these new ones are a night and day difference and it significantly strengthens up the butt stock. There is no more play in it. It will no longer retract though.

I also modified the lower bipod legs with some better feet. The stock ones would chatter when the rifle is recoiling. There is still some slop in the legs so I plan on taking the legs off and making my own custom 1" dia by .25" wall thickness bipod legs to stiffen up the front end. </div></div>

I have issues with the feet as well, though I haven't modded mine yet. The bi-pod feet seem too small, I would rather use a skid, or ski type foot. Also, with the foot being concave, it is really only resting on the outer rim of the pad when on a hard surface. I would just rather be using a foot similar to an M60 type bi-pod.

If you have an RND bipod Lloyd will work with you on a better set of legs. He is working with me right now on a much better leg that will eliminate the chatter and remove the slop in the legs. I will give an update when I get to try them out.

I have an RND - be great to see any improvements on it. I thought about sending my tube/bbl nut back to have him thread the tube deepeer and get rid of the lockring, and take advantage of more thread contact area on the bbl nut.

I know it wouldn't be easily indexed, but would rather have the rigidity than the indexing, plus once it is timed and aligned it shouldn't be an issue.

krecon,

When designing the RND tube the reason for not indexing it is Bill Ritchie told me the EDM barrel nut will change over time. Thus if you index the tube eventually it won't be aligned with the scope rail. If you look above at the beging post you will see I have rails and thus need to be able to index everytime accurately. If you don't have rails for a PVS-22 nor vent holes, then sure what you suggest is totally feasible, but I still think unneccessary. There is plenty of thread and contact between tube and barrel nut.

I completely agree. The bipod tube has significant engagement to keep it sturdy. as a general rule of practice you want 1 times the diameter of thread engagement for a secure hold. I never measured mine but it looks pretty close to that.

Those of you who have an edm, do you guys hand tighten your barrel nut or do you use a spanner wrench to really tighten it down?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dylanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Photo0030.jpg
</div></div>

Dylanss, where are you shooting? Is it near the Gorge in Washington State?

I can't specifically tell where it is. But I will say that it is between Ellensberg and Goldendale.

No worries on exact location. If you haven't had the chance, go to the SHWW thread under "Sniper's Hide Link Up" and say hello to the guys. Tribe there is golden. He is one of the best guys around plus a wealth of information and advise. Really good people to shoot with. Glad to see that WA has another big boomer out there!

Re: After almost a year... (EDM / RND / NF / PVS-2

That thing is freaking amazing brother. Find an abandoned vehicle and shoot some holes through it
smile.gif

Lw

Great idea Lonewolf. I used to shoot the shit out of an old school bus, 2 trailers, 5 cars and a dump truck. But my friend moved and no longer has the land that it all sat on. I asked him to tow them all to his new home but the new suburban yard wasn't big enough ; )

Just a "heads-up" the PVS-22 is not rated for the .408 CT recoil. I think most guys use the 27 for the large caliber rifles. This may be something you may want to look in to.

I got back from a long weekend of shooting. I shot it now out to 2300 yards. I shot two approx 30" dia baloons. It took me three shots to hit the first one.

P1000569.jpg

P1000570.jpg

The above photo shows the last remaining baloon. If you look just up and to the left of the balloon you will see a stake where another balloon used to be.

I don't know why I read these posts. Not only do they make my Barrett M99 look bad, they make me jealous and afterward money always seems to find its way out of the bank.

Beautiful rig; enjoy shooting it!

Oh, and you definitely want to shoot a junk car with one as Lonewolf suggested. You will be amazed at how much damage a .50BMG round can do to an engine block.

I would love to shoot up a car. If I ever get the chance I will jump on the opportunity.

I have learned that if going with the cheap equipment you normally hate yourself later for doing so. Then you wind up buying what you wanted later and spent more money overall. I normally just wait longer and buy what I want out of the gate. I have kicked myself so many times trying to save money by getting something cheaper.

Getting ready to do this set up, but use the Snipers choice bipod. Anyone think of anything that they would have RND do different? Are the barrel nuts interchangeable for the 50 and 408? Or am I going to have to do two seperate tubes if I do the 408 barrel? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's only dependent on the receiver.

In other words, the RND barrel shroud is tied to the barrel nut, which is turn is tied to the receiver. The M96 is a larger receiver than the XM04 receiver, therefore it uses a different nut. So if you change barrels out on your M96, you don't have to change out barrel nuts, shrouds, etc.

Blaster - To expand on my friend Dogtowns post, if you are going to use a 408 barrel on your EDM 50 have Bill make the barrel nut for the 408 the same size (outside diameter) as the 50 nut...like I did for the 50/416 above. Then you only need one barrel nut and one RND fore-end.

MR

Michael,
Thanks for the response and all your help, I believe I am going to give loyd a call and get this project under way before my wife starts asking where all my money from my side jobs is going.
Thanks for you input also Dogtown.

Got a hold of lloyd at RND, barrel nut will be sent off Tuesday. He did say he was working on a heavy duty version of his bipod system, which is nearing completion. Looking forward to see what changes he makes to an already good system.
Mountain Rogue, I told him about your lock ring and he then side tracked me and never answered.

Loyd told me my project would be done Monday....will post pics when the rifle is together. A little sample of what I have so far!

edm200001.jpg

Looks good. Who did you have make your carry handle? Did you get the entire set up of tube and bipod? Definetly looking forward to some pics of the new bipod set up.

Made the carry handle at work.... I have the 50bmg Windrunner so everything is custom. I ordered the tube, nut & bipod from RND!

Any updates on the new bi-pod from RND and the chance of a retro package for the older ones?

I just spoke with lloyd yesterday. He said it is near completion and that as soon as it was done he would send me some pics to check it out. He just finished my hand guard it was about a two week turn around. He is nice to deal with.

I spoke with lloyd and he said the same thing 2 weeks ago. I hope I get eveything b4 the snow flies!

I hope so to! Looking forward to seeing your final set up. I hope his bipod set up is everything I hoped for. There are not to many other options out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just spoke with lloyd yesterday. He said it is near completion and that as soon as it was done he would send me some pics to check it out. He just finished my hand guard it was about a two week turn around. He is nice to deal with. </div></div>

Hopefully he took the direction of using the larger, ski type feet for the bi-pod legs and not those little discs mine came with. Can't wait to see pics and how it stacks up against the older one.

Got an email with tracking #.....will post pics on the 24th or 25th

I got on the waiting list today for the bipod. The handguard should be here anyday. Long Action, is this his newest version? I am looking forward to some good pics. I guess if I do not like the set up I do not have much of another option. I might have to call up triggerfifty and see what kind of magic he can work (much sarcasm intended, just letting the fellas know who got ripped off we all read the post and know what happened).

I need to finish the handle/mounts but the RND bipod is very well built.

L1070565.jpg

L1070567.jpg

L1070568.jpg

L1070571.jpg