• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ah remington why am I so suprised......

Bangin_steel

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2013
Some were Texas
So new 5r out of the box mounted scope for fun to see how it would look then took everything and cleaned all factory gunk and grime wow you would think they would come a little cleaner. So now the good stuff, there is a rough spot in the action right below were the lug rides. Its only on that one side and does not affect the workability of the action and you cant feel it unless you put downward pressure on the bolt as your closeing it. Either way less then perfect. Now what do you guys think is it worth sending back to remington or should I just have a local smith file it down which im sure is what remington will do any way if they do anything at all. Also anyone ever seen this on a factory rifle remington or otherwise?

Attachments

• 20130715_191303.jpg
    20130715_191303.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 8
I will try to get better pics tomorrow. If you look real close to ejection side of the action were the bottom of the lug rides, there are some small metal burrs and below is a gouge which the burrs came from. You cant see gouges from pic. Will get a mirror tom. and post more pics.
I can seem to see anything in your picture. My eyes are going to crap...

At least give them a call. They might do something right since there CS is 50/50 at best.

Well that is crappy. I dont know whats up with Remington, but Im done buying new Remington guns.. Im thinking of getting a 300 rum made with the 2013 Badger Action, but Remington (To me) seems to not watch the quality as well.

then took everything and cleaned all factory gunk and grime wow you would think they would come a little cleaner.

That isn't gunk and grime so much as protective coat of gunk and grime to keep it from corroding. Most all new guns of any brand come with thick stuff caked on.

So now the good stuff, there is a rough spot in the action right below were the lug rides. Its only on that one side and does not affect the workability of the action and you cant feel it unless you put downward pressure on the bolt as your closeing it. Either way less then perfect. Now what do you guys think is it worth sending back to remington or should I just have a local smith file it down which im sure is what remington will do any way if they do anything at all. Also anyone ever seen this on a factory rifle remington or otherwise?

What I see it looks like there's a slight burr where the lug rides the raceway. You could put some lapping compound on the channel and work it about 100 times and it will take care of it. Or you could just keep shooting the thing and it will wear in on its own. Its not going to hurt anything if you ignore it. It will go away. Remington rifles to be quite a bit better as the wear in.

It's a little beyond a burr...Looks like whoever was "working" on smoothing the injection port slipped...

I'd definitely give them a call...That's really hard to miss, too.

You dont think this will have/cause any wear on my lug?

What I see it looks like there's a slight burr where the lug rides the raceway. You could put some lapping compound on the channel and work it about 100 times and it will take care of it. Or you could just keep shooting the thing and it will wear in on its own. Its not going to hurt anything if you ignore it. It will go away. Remington rifles to be quite a bit better as the wear in.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
It's a mass-produced action. The only "Premium" thing Remington did was screw in a 5R barrel.

If you want it smoothed out you'll probably be best served (and happier) getting a local to polish out the burr for you. My guess is (if you send it to Remington) you'll get lip service about "That's how we make them," and you'll be out shipping to them and back. You could insist they send it to the Custom Shop, but you'll never know if (and when) they'll be able to take a look at it and correct anything.

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something, my screen isn't that great. If nothing else, take it by a local smith and ask his opinion in person. I'm sure it would be cheaper than sending it back to Remington for a "go screw yourself" response seems about half the people get from them.

Well that is crappy. I dont know whats up with Remington, but Im done buying new Remington guns..

Copy that.

I bought a brand-new 700 SPS a while back; the very best I could coax out of it was just over 1moa, and that was on a good day. It hasn't been out of the safe since I bought a (used) Savage.

Copy that.

I bought a brand-new 700 SPS a while back; the very best I could coax out of it was just over 1moa, and that was on a good day. It hasn't been out of the safe since I bought a (used) Savage.

This is exactly why I now have 4 savages and refuse to buy anything new from Remington. I bought a new 870 that wouldn't shoot winchester ammo. I called and Remington told me to only use Remington 12 ga. ammo. I told them that the gun should shoot any ammo made to spec, they disagreed. Their QA is horrible and thier customer service isn't much better.

This is exactly why I now have 4 savages and refuse to buy anything new from Remington. I bought a new 870 that wouldn't shoot winchester ammo. I called and Remington told me to only use Remington 12 ga. ammo. I told them that the gun should shoot any ammo made to spec, they disagreed. Their QA is horrible and thier customer service isn't much better.

Good point. Come to think of it, my brother-in-law has an 870 with the same issues. I have a Mossberg, and it eats everything. Imagine that.

It's really unfortunate, that Remington has allowed their (previously) awesome reputation to become so tarnished. I'm sure they've made some fine rifles, but lately that seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

I keep thinking about picking up a 700 as a starter rifle and then I keep reading stuff like this. I love the way the 700 looks, the availability of infinite aftermarket options and how much more smoothly its bolt cycles than the savages I've tried, but I really can't justify spending my hard earned money on something made by a company with such indifference to quality control and customer service. I guess I'll keep saving my pennies and trying to find a used Tikka T3 Varmint. (although from what I hear Beretta customer service isn't any better)

It's really unfortunate, that Remington has allowed their (previously) awesome reputation to become so tarnished. I'm sure they've made some fine rifles, but lately that seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

Having been a Remington owner for the past 35 years, I would have to disagree with some of what you have said. In my opinion, Remingtons have always been a pretty basic, consumer grade rifle. In recent years, other brands and custom shops have raised the bar and our expectations. The Internet has also contributed both to those raised expectations (every $500 rifle is .5MOA all day long) and the reporting of negative experiences. The Remington rifles I see today are very much in line with those I've bought for the past three decades. Solid, but nothing special.

I keep thinking about picking up a 700 as a starter rifle and then I keep reading stuff like this. I love the way the 700 looks, the availability of infinite aftermarket options and how much more smoothly its bolt cycles than the savages I've tried, but I really can't justify spending my hard earned money on something made by a company with such indifference to quality control and customer service. I guess I'll keep saving my pennies and trying to find a used Tikka T3 Varmint. (although from what I hear Beretta customer service isn't any better)

Go with the Remington. Just don't buy it online. Pick it up in the store, inspect it, and roll on. They can grow with you as a shooter.

All of the big gun companies will have a lemon slip by every now and then. I just sent a brand new Remington 700 police model in 300WM back to them because when we fired the first round through the brand new rifle, the shell required a clearing rod to extract. Brand new rifle with Remington factory ammo. Did this for 3 shots. I sent it back and they fixed it free of charge. The owner has yet to fire it so I hope its fixed... I'm not defending them, I am just saying to not judge them based off of one problem. Yes they should have caught these issues at the factory but stuff happens. If the burrs are really bothering you, call Remington. The few times I have dealt with issues like this, they were always very helpful. I have always been told, "Send it back, if we screwed up, we will take care of it" They should be willing to help you as it definitely looks like they missed. Oh yeah, I was able to enlarge your picture and I could definitely see the burr you're talking about. Hope everything works out for you.

Fellows, pretty much my first post, so a little about me...

I am a retired tool and die/moldmaker and I live in Pasco county Fl. I have been hand loading since 1974. I still have a small but well equipped shop that I do prototype work out of from time to time to keep my hands in practice. If it goes boom I like it, from muzzleloaders to M1A's.

To the topic:
It seems like almost every weapon I have acquired in the last 10 years has been a "kit", high end or low end, something has to be done or modified/repaired, to make the firearm work the way it is supposed to.

My SPS-T that I bought 5 mo's ago had a problem with some kind of something in the bore that did not want to clean out, patches never came out anything but black.

Eventually, through shooting and cleaning, the problem went away and it is shooting in the 5's. I believe that it had cerrakote in the bore, the other problem was scratching the hell out of the case on chambering. A little deburring fixed that.

I have run into this kind of crap with everything from rifles to dies to powder measures. It's a bigger surprise to me when everything is right!

I am luckier than most in that I have the tooling and ability to repair/modify whatever is "off".

Good luck to all.

Break out the dremel and smooth it out (don't be scared :). I just picked up a new 700 police for a .308 build and I don't have this issue as the channels are nice and smooth. From the look of the photos, I don't think it will affect the rifle any and what little imperfection that is there will smooth out over time. As long as the bolt operates as required and it is not hanging up, roll with it. JMHO

I sent the first one back because it was worse than this. This one is only a couple numbers off from the first one. Brand new SPS tactical in .223. The top gouge extends into the chamber approximately 3/16". It has a nick at the muzzle too. I intend to shoot it first just in case I get lucky. Remington, Marlin, etc has not been the same since becoming a part of cerberus freedom whatever.

Last edited:
I am luckier than most in that I have the tooling and ability to repair/modify whatever is "off".

Welcome Charlie :)

Being an old/broken down machinist myself, I too have a few tools not found in the average toolbox;). As do you, I also find it far more convenient to remedy minor stuff like that myself rather than sending it back. Fellas like ourselves are blessed in our skillset and experience; others aren't as fortunate. It would really suck to plop down hundreds of dollars, only to have to box it back up again and wait weeks (sometimes months) for a repair that shouldn't have been necessary in the first place.

As another has said, and accurately so, the occasional lemon will squirt by most if not all QC departments. Remington seems to have more than their share of squirters, and that is disappointing IMO.

No doubt Remington has been going down hill lately. I must say there is not a doubt my next commercial rifle will be a Savage. Though the bolt guns coming out of FN sure look good. BTW, on the FNH, do they use an original Pre-64 action or the new M70 CRF Pre-64-like action? Not that it changes my opinion either way, just wondering.

My grandpa had a Pre-64 M70 that I shot some as a boy and that sure was a nice rifle. Wish I had it now honestly.

No doubt Remington has been going down hill lately. I must say there is not a doubt my next commercial rifle will be a Savage. Though the bolt guns coming out of FN sure look good. BTW, on the FNH, do they use an original Pre-64 action or the new M70 CRF Pre-64-like action? Not that it changes my opinion either way, just wondering.

My grandpa had a Pre-64 M70 that I shot some as a boy and that sure was a nice rifle. Wish I had it now honestly.

They use the "new" model crf. Not too much wrong with them.

I would definitely not send that back to Remington. I wouldn't dremel it either. I'd just get a small stone and work off the high spots, and perhaps put some rubbing compound on it and lap it in.

Hell, leaving it won't hurt anything and it will go away with time.

Just file it down and call it a day. It's a nice rifle. I'll be glad to entertain taking it off your hands for a "damaged goods" price!

So your saying for $1100 i get what i pay for... dont think so, im pretty sure thats someone dropping the ball on their craftmanship. That and their qc fell asleep to. I would agree if we were talking about a rossi firearm but fact is remington is one of the biggest firearm producers in the nation and they should be able to consistanly make quality guns and they do but thats not to say mistakes dont happen. I understand that yes a custom gun is probably a bit closer to perfection not arguing that.
if you wanted or exspected perfection, why didnt you go custom? you get what you pay for. lee

Last edited:
Bangin-
That sucks man. I also just ordered and picked up a 5r Mil spec. Thankfully I was lucky and have not had any problems with mine. I did initially find some scratches on my brass but it worked itself out in 40-50 rounds. I also heard horror stories about people sending rifles back with similar issues only to find out that the rifle came back and the bolt was more rough, scratches on stock, metal etc. I would say hit it your self or find someone local. Mine shoots like a dream so to me it was worth it.

Good Luck my friend.

So to crack at it. 5mins had her whooped into shape! Used an old points file( used for points on a distrubter cap for you non auto mechanics) well a broken piece of one anyhow, that and some 220 grit emory cloth. Bolt moves great and cant even snag a patch on it! Thanks to all for ideas and comments. Lots of good info from hide members.

Attachments

• 20130717_212818.jpg
    20130717_212818.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 11
Cool man, yea im lookin forward to putting a few down range... soon as i can find some brass to reload. Congrats on the new stick!
Bangin-
That sucks man. I also just ordered and picked up a 5r Mil spec. Thankfully I was lucky and have not had any problems with mine. I did initially find some scratches on my brass but it worked itself out in 40-50 rounds. I also heard horror stories about people sending rifles back with similar issues only to find out that the rifle came back and the bolt was more rough, scratches on stock, metal etc. I would say hit it your self or find someone local. Mine shoots like a dream so to me it was worth it.

Good Luck my friend.

Looks really good. I can't even see a hint of the burred areas. Good call on taking matters in your own hands. I'm sure you have more self satisfaction this way as well.

P.S. - if you go back over it with 600 -1000 grit and polish with flitz or similar it will be like a mirror; if you want of couse. May not be needed.

So to crack at it. 5mins had her whooped into shape! Used an old points file( used for points on a distrubter cap for you non auto mechanics) well a broken piece of one anyhow, that and some 220 grit emory cloth. Bolt moves great and cant even snag a patch on it! Thanks to all for ideas and comments. Lots of good info from hide members.

Glad you got it slicked up! Looks good to me!

As noted more pics. What do yall think now?

Edit: rolled down and found that you got it fixed.

When my McMillan A-5 arrived I immediately placed the barreled action (Savage action/ trigger) in it. It wouldn't allow the trigger to cock. 5 minutes later it was fixed with a file. Never was pissed at McMillan either. Friend of mine brought over a Stiller action giving him fits. "It tries to lock up when cycling if you're not perfectly inline with the action". I took the bolt out went over to the buffing wheel and polisted the lugs. Boom, all better. "The flutes are so sharp they're damaging my mags". Took the bolt back out, wrapped it in leather and rounded over every flute with a file. He put it back in the rifle and tried to replicate the problem, couldn't do it. Sometimes money is better spent on tools than shipping. At least then you can repeatedly correct problems with one purchase.

Took her out and shot her. Used some 180gr federals from academy (needed the brass for hand loads) and didnt do to bad. First shot low = cold bore. Next 2 way high then brought scope down and ended up with six in the black, one hole has two rounds in it. Not bad i think, for first time out with this gun and 100* texas heat and sun and factory loads! All this was done after barrel break in of 20 total rounds. Should have some loads worked up in the next few weeks if work premits then its back out to the range!
Glad to see you got it fixed. Now lets see how she shoots!

Attachments

• 20130718_193619.jpg
    20130718_193619.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 10
the last remington I bought was in 2010, and it was a SPS Varmint in 22-250 and it was a great rife, and rebarreled it to a 260 remington, they were great gun but its seems in the last several years they have said screw the quality..

Glad to see it work out for you. That's what any good forum is supposed to do!!!!

Skipped alot of post so this is more than likely covered but... Ild first take it to a local gunsmith ( or a really good machinist if you know one you trust) ) or using a good lapping compound to wear it down while doing some dry fire practice. Either way dont sweat it, i mean while it is a 5r, the whole rifle cost what a good custom action would run so you must keep your expectations realistic. In 2000 rounds you'll have forgotten about the rough machining spot in the raceway. I would not send it back to remington the hassle and time without a rifle are not worth whatever they may or may not do

I only have 1 rem 700 and I was not disappointed at all so far its working pretty well and I did not notice any marks like this in the barrel or action, I always inspect them pretty good before I go but I don't think I will get any more just because I see more and more of this