• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AI Arctic Warfare Suppressor

beetroot

Old Salt
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Simple question.
Can anyone fill me in on what would be considered a "genuine" suppressor for a 2008 308 AIAW, if there was such a thing.
Did AI have a single/select manufactures of suppressors that work with the factory muzzle brake or was it like any other rifle and buyers sourced their own can?

I'm watching a suppressor that is labelled as AI AW760 MAE, which I'm guessing is manufactured by MAE a New Zealand company.

Maybe someone with more UK data can post.

AI-UK has a suppressor that goes over the factory threaded brakes.

They are not importable to the US due to import law.

My impression is that various U.S. suppressors have higher performance.

When AI submitted for the ASR solicitation a few years ago, they used our 338 Ultra SR.

AI UK back in the day (early 2000s), signed a contract with the Norwegian company and designer Hausken to be the "official" suppressor supplier for AI. He supplied them for some time until the orders slowed down and finally stopped...
Later in 2014 Hausken got a contract with RUAG. What he didnt know was that a copy of his suppressor was sold by another distributor.
Then at IWA 2017 he found what was with a few exceptions a faithfull copy of his suppressor

Nobody at the stand knew who Hausken was. He took the opportunity to ask and inquire about the suppressor they were selling.

" They where standing cocky behind the counter and presented the suppressor as their own"

The manufacturers suppressor was virtually identical to Hauskens own. But his name was gone. The logo belonged to English manufacturer.

(quote translated from the original news article in NRK, which is the norwegian equivalent to the BBC) https://www.nrk.no/rogaland/xl/lyddempere-fra-norge-selges-til-hele-verden-1.14723158
use browser to translate all if interested

NRK contacted AI and mr Tom Irwin who of course passed the buck to the previous owners since they accquired AI after the bankruptcy. He said he knew nothing about Hausken.
And of course one cant blame Irwin and the current owners for the actions of the previous board. But you can blame them for continuing to use and profit of the stolen design without any acknowledgement or credit given to the originator.
IMHo, what I would have liked to see was, when AI was informed about it, they should have researched and checked it. If it was found to be accurate, they should come to an arrangement or settled with Hausken, instead of pretending it never happened. That would have been the honerable thing to do.
But I guess its "buisness is buisness" or something.

I wonder if say a AI distributor in Elbonia after selling AX stocks for a while, simply decides to copy it there. Then went bankrupt and party B bought it. Do AI then think B is entiteled to keep making the ripoffed stocks?

Last edited:
Hausken decided he didnt have the money or time needed for a multinational lawsuit against a company like AI. He is a small buisness.
As to patents I dont know. A commen saying is that unless you have enough money to try it in court, patents are not that worthwhile

But in any case it doesnt make it right.

Maybe someone with more UK data can post.

AI-UK has a suppressor that goes over the factory threaded brakes.

They are not importable to the US due to import law.

My impression is that various U.S. suppressors have higher performance.

When AI submitted for the ASR solicitation a few years ago, they used our 338 Ultra SR.

Is it not common then to use the factory muzzle brake with a suppressor that fit's over it?
From what limited info is available I'm guessing the MAE suppressor is not genuine AI but it seems to be a somewhat common option for those wanting to use the factory brake.

If we're talking the USA: No. I've never seen one in the USA that goes over it.

It's objectively a terrible design setup for suppressor mounting to have the threads in front of the brake ports. You notice that every muzzle brake suppressor mount in the USA is set up the other way.

If we're talking the USA: No. I've never seen one in the USA that goes over it.

It's objectively a terrible design setup for suppressor mounting to have the threads in front of the brake ports. You notice that every muzzle brake suppressor mount in the USA is set up the other way.

I'm in New Zealand and it's certainly not a common sight here either.
The only common over-brake design is the ASE Utra borelock, most guys go for a brake or suppressor, not both.