• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AWM or AXMC?

• Thread starter Deleted member 121493
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 121493

Coming from a sako TRG

4800 for used AWM with bipod and 3 mags (around 1k rounds though it)

8000 for new AXMC

Figured I can rebarrel the AWM in 300 Norma so the short mags are no problem. I would miss having a folder, but not a big issue. Would have funds for a dedicated PRS rig...

The axmc would be great for both LR and PRS?

Is the AWM comparable to the AXMC quality wise?

I would say the first thing comes down to the stock & how you like it.
That is going to probably be the biggest concern you will have.

Then I'm assuming you are talking about an AWSM in .338LM if you are thinking of rebarreling to .300 Norma.
AWSM = Single stack magazines = AXMC = Dual stack magazines.

When you need to change the barrel AWSM = about 10 to 30 minutes with the correct tools (including vice, block, action wrench and torque wrench).
AXMC = about 2 to 10 minutes with minimal tools required.

The AW / AWM / AWSM were all also made with folding stocks, but it sounds like the one you are looking at does not have that.

The folding stock makes it easier for cleaning, as you can just swing the stock out of the way & pull the bolt without having to lower the cheek rest. It can also make it easier to carry in the trunk of your car.

I have both an AW and an AWSM in addition to the AXMC and like them all. The AW and AWSM are rice old school classic super rugged pieces.

Now just to compare a bit:

You can usually get a used Pre 2014 (so no quick change barrel) AX Long Action for about $5000 to $6000
If you hunt around, I would bet you could get a new AXMC in the low $7k range to the $8k range depending on the deal you wait for, the features you want & how you pay.
You could also probably get a used AXMC in the $7k range depending on who is selling what at the time & how motivated & what other stuff they have.

My suggestion is assuming the old school one you want is the AWSM (setup in .338LM by default) and not the AWM (.300 WM) and has just the fixed stock, I'd see if you could get it for $4k That would probably be a bit closer to value. If it had the folding stock, then closer to $5k would be about right.

Reactions: gro
If it's an AWM (300WinMag) you'll need the Lapua size bolt to shoot 300NM. If it's the AWSM, you're good.

I have an AWM I converted to 338Lapua. With both bolts, I can set that rifle up in just about any long action magnum caliber.

I also bought the AXMC. Right now I have the 338Lapua and 6.5Creed setups for it.

Both are fantastic rifles, but I don't NEED both. I bought the AXMC thinking I would sell the AW. However, I haven't fallen in love with the AX enough to sell the AW. Every so often, I tell myself one has to go. It's the AXMC I consider selling. There is just something special about the older AW's...

The AWM’s were 300WM which would require a new bolt (not even sure if it’s available anymore and the AXMC bolt won’t work) as well as a new barrel to convert to 300 Norma. Don’t forget to include that into the cost of the AWM which is going to be about $800 for the barrel alone.

The AXMC gives you true multi cal capabilities and you can order it right off the bat in 300 Norma so no additional cost of barrel or bolt. You can also get a better deal than full retail so you’re not really comparing apples to orange there. I’m pretty sure there’s an AXMC list on here for a little over $6K.

Add a 6 or 6.5 Creed barrel and 308 bolt, mag adaptor, and a few AX mags and you’ve got your PRS rig. Just stick to large primer brass if you go that route unless you’re going to have your bolts bushed.

Thanks for alle the input guys. It is an awm in .338lm with a fixed stock. Leaning toward a new axmc but thankfully have time to think :)

There are a lot of AX338s for under the asking price of that AWM nowadays. Check the px here and GunBroker. Pretty sure the axmc stock will go on the pre-14 AX too.

Awms are nice for the nostalgia but the ax338 or axmc are nicer with the longer mags.

I have the AWSM 338 with 300WM conversion non-folder. I think the AW style has a better balance and feels lighter than the AXMC I handled even though I think both are about the same weight in 338.

You should try to feel both. The AX stock is more adjustable, but the AW stock is simpler with less things to get out of place. In a ELR style magnum rig you probably don't need all the mounting rail space the AXMC offers. You just need a good bipod on the stock. If the AW stock fits well then it could be a good deal.

The only thing my AWSM lacks is the CIP length for the 338. But compared to my other 338 that is CIP length there is no velocity or accuracy difference shooting identical bullets. Maybe longer would help with really long 338 projectiles, but mostly I never run into the issue with the 285s I shoot. Even Berger 300s shot fine with good velocity with non-CIP loading length.

My short action AW is a folder and it's nice to not pull the cheek rest, but really it takes about 10 seconds to pull the cheek rest on my non-folder to pull the bolt so I wouldn't make a decision just based on that feature not being there.

Quality wise I suspect both are similar.

Last edited:

Attachments

• CAA5E70A-327F-4E85-9428-F097A3BE7CF0.jpeg
    CAA5E70A-327F-4E85-9428-F097A3BE7CF0.jpeg
    595.1 KB · Views: 87
Got a demo shot (70 rounds) black axmc for 7.2k. Including AI bipod and suppressor (fits over brake)... think I will bite!