• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS or McRee or XLR? Update in original

ksmith13

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2010
Tennessee
I have a Remington 700VS in 308, it is currently sitting in the factory HS Precision stock. I am in the market for one of the above mentioned. Can those of you that have them tell me what you like about the one you have. I dont want this to be a flame on anyone I just want to know the advantages of each. I dont have any where close to try any out so I am going to be buying one off fo the internet sight unseen. Not the best way to go about it but the only way I have at the moment. Thanks for all your help in advance!!

Update:
I want to thank everyone for your replies.
I ended up ordering a McRees from Scott however i ordered it with the AR adapter and I ordered a Magpul PRS from Midway to go on it. Scott and I talked about it and this way if I decide I dont like the PRS I can sell it and order the Mcrees butt stock from Scott.I really liked the looks of the XLR with the PRS and I hope this will be ok. One of the reason's I went this way is that I won't have to make any changes to my scope mount. I will start another thread with pics as soon as I get it all in. Thanks to Scott he was very helpful.

Re: AICS or McRee or XLR?

I have an XLR. Fit and finish are flawless.
If you want a tube type stock I would buy an XLR.

I've never handled an AICS. From what I read most folks like the thumb hole design, some don't. The platform itself is solid.

Thank you for your input, what contour barrel do you have in your XLR everything I see on their webpage shows a stainless barrel that doesnt look like it has any taper. Will a Varmit contour look weird in this stock?

edit spelling

I picked up a McRees chassis and have been extremely pleased. It's made in the USA, easily adjusted to your fit & reasonably priced. As an added bonus, the man who makes the chassis frequents this board. I have thrown all kinds of questions at him and been met with nothing but patience and helpfulness.

My vote is McRees. Good advice is to lay your hands on any of your choices and see what fits you the best. It's a big purchase that you don't want to make hastily.

I have a #4 Krieger matte finished stainless. It looks fine to me.
Sorry, camera is MIA or i would post a pic.

Just as GardDog stated about McRees above, XLR is made in CO, by a member here and is very helpful.

I've got an XLR that I fell in love with the moment I placed my hands on it. A .308 SPS-V is sitting in it and is an amazing rifle when coupled with some handloaded 178gr Amax's. The fit and finish of the stock is impeccable and Kyle (XLR)'s customer service is bar none.

I've got a few pictures of the 26" varmint contour in it if you want a size persective. Personally I love the design and it was a toss up between this and a Mcree, Either I would be happy with, but I do not regret my choice in the slightest.

I have a mcree and have 0 complaints. I love it. Scott has been more than helpful. Scott also has some new stuff coming out for shot show. One benefit of his modular chassis is he will continue to develop accessories for the chassis, that you can bolt on to your existing.

Don't forget manners has a chassis system. Just lettin ya know if you weren't aware.

+1 for Mcree , just got one in left hand for Rem700 SPS Varmint in 243 and love it, the stock is extremely sturdy and solid, and Scott is awesome to deal with.Couldn't ask for more, hope this helps and good luck with your choice.

Loren

I have two R700s in AICS 1.5 and 2.0. They are both great. I like that you dont have to remove the cheekpiece to clean on the 2.0. Just fold it up. I have an XLR chassis on order for one of my Savages right now. Kyle at XLR is easy to deal with. Pm him if you have any questions regarding your application.

My rifle has a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 on it with a Warne 20moa base, I read somewhere that someone had to cut their base off becasue it was too long when using the XLR. Can anyone confirm that?

It looks like the rail can not extend past the recoil lug.
6547_003_crop_op_640x299.jpg

I cant comment on the EGW Base but on my Rem700 long action with badger 20moa base I had to cut some off to fit it correctly. Not that big of a deal for me personally.

I also want to say that Kyle's Customer Service is second to none. He went above and beyond for me and for that he will have repeated orders from me not to mention the stock kicks ass.

I'm working on a project gun, short barrel .308 with a AICS mag system. Something medium weight barrel, med power scope mainly for hunting but can fill an accuracy role with most .308 distances. Looking over the Seekins mag system on a traditional stock or one of the folders. I think the AICS may be to heavy for what I want though and looking at the other stock options listed. For the field, not sure on the Tac Mod or XLR with the listed stock. I would if I used the low rings with let's say a NF 2.5-10x32 if a Crane/LMT stock would suffice or be to low? I was hoping for more information on them all but the sites are lacking from what I've seen and the listed retailers don't even list the product.

Is there a photo thread anywhere's?

Mark

I have a picture of my gun as it is with the scope mounted, if any one with an XLR can look at the picture and let me know if they think it will work as far as clearance and length of base. Please message me and I will email you the picture. I dont have a photo bucket account to post it on here.

94397b98.jpg

Here is a pic of my gun can someone with an XLR tell me if they think it will work as it is?

The McRee was easy to install, mags feed well, its abidextrious(sp). Got the folder and I'm glad I did. Scott is great to work with and I think he's running a sale on his stocks in the Commercial section.

I had to chop about 1" off of my EGW 20 MOA rail for it to fit but it fits totally flush and there is still TONS of room to mount the scope.

Just a heads up. I'm using TPS Super-Low 30mm rings with a 40mm scope and the bell of the scope BARELY fits. There is probably three or four playing card's width between the chassis and the scope.
09041709.jpg

09061459a.jpg

09061457a.jpg

09061449.jpg

and a vid of me with a quick 3 shot group at 200, sorry for the shitty cell phone pics/vid

the cameraman (guy with the long hair in the pictures) thought I was shooting at some small targets we laid out earlier, not the paper target further back.

As another side not, this chassis took away some of the recoil and it is entirely manageable with just a nice *push* back.

Hey guys,

The scope base can only extend .200" beyond the action face. If your base needs shortened, we will do it no charge for you.

Also, Here is a formula I built real quick that will tell you what height rings you need.

For standard Evolution chassis:

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">(actual objective diameter/2) + .875 - (action diameter/2) - base height = ring height needed.</span>

For Evolution HD chassis:

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">(actual objective diameter/2) + 1 - (action diameter/2) - base height = ring height needed.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">All units in inches

Ring height measured from top of base to ring center line.</span>

Don't forget sloped bases! 20 moa is about .035" drop every 6 inches.

Another +1 for Kyle and XLR. Great customer service and a pretty quick turn around. I will definitely deal with him again.

IMG_7252.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget manners has a chassis system. Just lettin ya know if you weren't aware. </div></div>

I really like the feel of AICS. Some don't like the thumbhole but it is all preference... Also to quote the above... Manners are awesome stocks. I just ordered a T4A for my next build.

I have both an AICS and a McRee. They are both great but I have big hands and the McRee is just a better fit for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ksmith13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[url="http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j471/ksmith1313/?action=view&current=94397b98.jpg"]http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j471/ksmith1313/?action=view&current=94397b98.jpg[/url][img]

Here is a pic of my gun can someone with an XLR tell me if they think it will work as it is? </div></div>

It looks like your base will be fine. The rings look too low to clear the free float tube on an XLR. What are those rings, Burris XTR low?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another +1 for Kyle and XLR. Great customer service and a pretty quick turn around. I will definitely deal with him again.

IMG_7252.jpg
</div></div>

What length barrel is that and can you have a shorter front end if desired?

I'm debating the carbine receiver extension with a LMT stock, wondering if it will be high enough if using low rings and a 32 mm obj?

I have both the XLR and the AICS, I have to say I like the XLR alittle better...cheaper also.
015-3.jpg

008-5.jpg

007-9.jpg

It's a pretty much stock SPS in .308 with a 20 inch barrel. Yes, Kyle can put a 12 inch forearm on there, I have the 14 inch.

Thanks to Kyle for posting the formula for determining ring height for the XLR, can anyone tell me what the action diamater is for the Remington 700 with a varmint contour barrel so I dont have to take my gun part till i get a new stock? Or will they vary from gun to gun?

I have a XLR. Great stock, solid platform, great ergonomics. I have a couple of safes full of McMillan's, Warner's, Master Class and various tube guns. I prefer the XLR. I put a RPA action in it and Kyle was able to make it fit perfectly. The fit and finish is great. If you have a repeater you don't need bottom metal, a great money saver. The standard evolution will take up to a MTU taper, or anything less.

Just my 2 cents worth
John

I'm digging these XLR stocks; I'm finishing up a Badger M2008LA in 300 Win Mag and need a stock. I have a rifles in mcree and JP MOR stocks and like them both. Has anyone put a Badger action in one of those XLR stocks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a pretty much stock SPS in .308 with a 20 inch barrel. Yes, Kyle can put a 12 inch forearm on there, I have the 14 inch. </div></div>

Ok, thanks! I'm thinking of a 17-18" barrel, but wanted to look into the folder option for transport, etc. I'm guessing I could do this at or about a 10 pounder or less.

I don't know what mods have to be done with the PRS, I think it's actually the chassis that needs the rotational tab relief cut to accommodate the tab on the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boogyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both the XLR and the AICS, I have to say I like the XLR alittle better...cheaper also.
015-3.jpg

008-5.jpg

007-9.jpg
</div></div>

Does the XLR come with the Magpul PRS installed? Sweet!

SWRichmond, No they do not regretfully, plus you have to modify the stock so that it will fit ergonomically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evilmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm digging these XLR stocks; I'm finishing up a Badger M2008LA in 300 Win Mag and need a stock. I have a rifles in mcree and JP MOR stocks and like them both. Has anyone put a Badger action in one of those XLR stocks? </div></div>

Mr. Monkey,

I have an M2008 in my XLR and I love it. Wouldn't go any other way. Like many posters, I have owned most of the popular options and all my future builds will go in XLR's.

Feel free to PM me with any questions,
-Chris

Does anyone have some good close ups of the Mcree and XLR and I guess the Tac Mod?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have some good close ups of the Mcree and XLR and I guess the Tac Mod?

</div></div>

I will have some of the McRee hopefully by the end of next week I will post them up as soon as it gets here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ksmith13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have some good close ups of the Mcree and XLR and I guess the Tac Mod?

</div></div>

I will have some of the McRee hopefully by the end of next week I will post them up as soon as it gets here. </div></div>

Excellent! I'm hoping that I can use the Magpul CTR with additional cheek risers they sell, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4" That way I can make adjustments when wearing different layers and also work out the cheek weld. This will be a nice build if it all works out.
I need to call them also. It looks like they use the ACE folder, if so they use a "bullnose" adapter to allow the extension to screw into.

What's you thought on the AR grip and the gap between that and trigger guard?

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ksmith13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have some good close ups of the Mcree and XLR and I guess the Tac Mod?

</div></div>

I will have some of the McRee hopefully by the end of next week I will post them up as soon as it gets here. </div></div>

Excellent! I'm hoping that I can use the Magpul CTR with additional cheek risers they sell, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4" That way I can make adjustments when wearing different layers and also work out the cheek weld. This will be a nice build if it all works out.
I need to call them also. It looks like they use the ACE folder, if so they use a "bullnose" adapter to allow the extension to screw into.

What's you thought on the AR grip and the gap between that and trigger guard?

Mark </div></div>

I am pretty sure he makes his own folder adapter. I know he said that he used to stock the CTR and he said that it seemed like every time he would get some stock in someone would call and ask for something that he didn't have so he just quit and sells the AR adapter and you have to buy your own AR buttstock. As far as the gap between the grip and trigger guard I hadn't noticed it till i read your post and went back to his page and pulled up a picture. So I guess I will have to see see how it feels. He told me that you can put basically any AR grip on it you might have to modifiy some of them especially it they have a palm swell. I will see how it feels I may try to get something with finger grooves like a Hogue that I saw in the Midway catalogue for like $20.00. I will just see how it feels then go from there. I will definately post some pictures of all the pieces that it takes to put the AR stock on it so you can see how it goes together. If you need more detailed pictures of anything that I don't post let me know and I will do my best to get what you need.

I really appreciate the help! Looking forward to the pics and feedback.

No worries getting the CTR. My guess is that there's a "tab" for the grip slot to stabilize it as machined into the AR lower.

Mark

I was using Magpul MOE with a riser and folding setup on my XLR on an Enidine recoil tube and it was pretty nice.

I ended up sending my enidine tube in to kyle to be modified to work with his buttstock setup. After I easily adapted a magpul riser to work on his cheek rest (extending it further forward) it was even better. I think I'm done messing with the buttstock because I dont think I can get it any better.... at least for me.
It is comfortable and the lack of recoil on my 300WM is amazing. I am also curious if the enidine helps dampen barrel harmonics as well.
+1 for Kyle and the XLR!
xlr_butt.jpg

xlr2.jpg

caveman, thanks for the info... if possible could you post a pic of your badger in xlr chassis

nice rifle itrain, i have a rem 308la that scott built in one of his stocks; really like the rifle alot. you should thread your barrel and get you of scott's muzzle breaks.

looks like my nightforce 20 MOA base would have to be cut down to accept the XLR stock too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like my nightforce 20 MOA base would have to be cut down to accept the XLR stock too. </div></div>

That is why I decided to go with the McRee and the fact that I would have to have taller rings.