• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AK-74 vs. Brown Bear outside of Anchorage

Are you just about brain dead, or is it just an act? Who do you think it is who's posted here for everyone's benefit?

:eek:

And what is your major malfunction? Are you drunk? Under the influence? Or do you come by stoopid naturally?

And what is your major malfunction? Are you drunk? Under the influence? Or do you come by stoopid naturally?

I don't get why you posted that link when (a) the thread started with a link to that very bear incident and (b) the person who wound up dealing with the bear via 5.45x39 aeration has posted in the thread. And yes, the consensus of opinion is that you say something to the bear to let it know that you're there in case it's of a mind to wander off and not try to eat you.

I deeply regret, from the very depth of my soul, that my comment has caused you such pain and suffering and I hope in some small way my best wishes for a speedy recovery will help you along to full healing and wellness.

Love,
Amsdorf

Last edited:
I carried a 12 guage shotgun for bear protection there, with slugs not 00.
I also carried a noisemaker, as issued, but I realize certain times of the year, certain bears, it won't matter.

No disrespect intended but why that rifle for bear protection? In the media's eyes, and America now (because most Americans are t oo st upid to research anything on their own) - it was a machine gun killing.
We know different but....

Most people don't realize Moose attacks outnumber bear attacks...
Taken from my inlaws driveway, mom was right behind her.
And they will charge a dog, they hate dogs.

IMG_0600_small.jpg

Last edited:
Ive been charged my moose many times. They're easy to out maneuver and will break off an attack quite easy. They are far far far easier to avoid.

As to the Ak question: I see it as an irrelevant question because its open to opinion and conjecture. Suffice to say, in my opinion, a weapon is mostly only as effective as the person operating it. I carry that weapon because I know that weapon. I can handle that weapon and i have confidence in that weapon and what I can do with it..In hind site I think I would have rather had the AKMS with me that day. Ive had an AK in my hand for 23 years or more. In all my years i cant count on 5 finger the malfunctions i have had. The weapon is made to do what it did. IMO its protection perfection in its simplest most effective form..I see no reason to carry anything else. Its what I know. So that's why I carry an AK..

As for luck. I dunno about luck. Its like in war, shit just happens. One Game Warden that day told me he put 3-4 shots of 00 12g mag in a grizzly bear smaller then mine and it never went down. He said he even got a spine shot and it still came at him but ran off. To me that's just another bear story. .Like you, I stated earlier I too make noise. You wont find a summer time picture without my whistle on my wrist. I prefer the whistle because I can control it. Bells and like just rattle and IMO are very hard to hear at distance or over moving water sound. I can really lay into it with the whistle. Until this year I never even seen a bear in the wild and I'm out A LOT. The whistle always worked till this summer. In fact I think it was working but the bear either didn't care or was following the sound. There was something going on with the bear this year. Some blame the salmon run..

Last edited:
I think if I had to choose between becoming a pile of bear scat and offending the sensibilities of the American weapons-stupid and easily frightened masses, I'd choose the latter.

Sometimes, the bear gets you. For everything else, there's Bergmann. :D

I couldn't care less what Liberals or anyone thinks. People will think what they want. I appreciate the open minds I have found here though. Its refreshing. Like someone else stated they just have no clue until you see that mass of armored muscle coming at you.. They think they're cut and cuddly victims of man. Some people out there commented they wished the bear had of killed me simply because I used an AK. A lot of people just hate guns and always will. They claim semi autos are made just for killing, Ok great, then when you kill with one in a justified manner they bitch still. I even saw some reports using names they claimed were mine. I think they were baiting me into confronting them so they could spin it..Whatever. The Game Warden cleared me on the spot. They can add that to their weed and smoke on it..

Oh and I only own 2 Aks and a Nagant...The Nagant will be used for Moose hunting in the Spring, but the folding stock AK will be on my hip....

Most people don't realize Moose attacks outnumber bear attacks...
Taken from my inlaws driveway, mom was right behind her.
And they will charge a dog, they hate dogs.

Moose do hate dogs..My first winter here i saw this guy. You can see he didnt care about the old man in the yard but felt fit to jump the fence and run me and my dog down the road..

Im glad your alive and dont personally care what you used to kill the bear.As for those that wished you had been killed because you used the Ak i bet they would think differently if you saved them with one. There is not one person that would say that to another person face to face. Ya have to consider keyboard commandos as mostly wannabees with no real guts to even walk amongst real wildlife.

for those that wished you had been killed because you used the Ak i bet they would think differently if you saved them with one. There is not one person that would say that to another person face to face. Ya have to consider keyboard commandos as mostly wannabees with no real guts to even walk amongst real wildlife.

True story and thank you..

Droppin' boxes of Samoas like an em' effer, y'all ...

Droppin' boxes of Samoas like an em' effer, y'all ...

I lasted 13 seconds.

To my credit, 2 of those were getting the cursor repositioned to click it off.

Veer, there is help available if you'll just ask. We won't hold it against you.

Hey, it was all I could come up with (credit to ex-GS missus) for an anti-bear strategy that didn't involve irritating bells, whistles, chemical sprays, or firearms that might crush the spirit of some poor critter-n'-tree-hugger.

Of course, there's always compulsory Morris Dancing while in the boonies, that'll keep 'em away!

Hey, it was all I could come up with (credit to ex-GS missus) for an anti-bear strategy that didn't involve irritating bells, whistles, chemical sprays, or firearms that might crush the spirit of some poor critter-n'-tree-hugger.

Of course, there's always compulsory Morris Dancing while in the boonies, that'll keep 'em away!

So that's what that is called. I saw a bunch of them doing that on the mall this summer. I was afraid to ask.........kept me away.....

So that's what that is called. I saw a bunch of them doing that on the mall this summer. I was afraid to ask.........kept me away.....

Proof positive that Maggot is a bear?

Ive been charged my moose many times. They're easy to out maneuver and will break off an attack quite easy. They are far far far easier to avoid.

As to the Ak question: I see it as an irrelevant question because its open to opinion and conjecture. Suffice to say, in my opinion, a weapon is mostly only as effective as the person operating it. I carry that weapon because I know that weapon. I can handle that weapon and i have confidence in that weapon and what I can do with it..In hind site I think I would have rather had the AKMS with me that day. Ive had an AK in my hand for 23 years or more. In all my years i cant count on 5 finger the malfunctions i have had. The weapon is made to do what it did. IMO its protection perfection in its simplest most effective form..I see no reason to carry anything else. Its what I know. So that's why I carry an AK..

As for luck. I dunno about luck. Its like in war, shit just happens. One Game Warden that day told me he put 3-4 shots of 00 12g mag in a grizzly bear smaller then mine and it never went down. He said he even got a spine shot and it still came at him but ran off. To me that's just another bear story. .Like you, I stated earlier I too make noise. You wont find a summer time picture without my whistle on my wrist. I prefer the whistle because I can control it. Bells and like just rattle and IMO are very hard to hear at distance or over moving water sound. I can really lay into it with the whistle. Until this year I never even seen a bear in the wild and I'm out A LOT. The whistle always worked till this summer. In fact I think it was working but the bear either didn't care or was following the sound. There was something going on with the bear this year. Some blame the salmon run..

Thank you for proving the sporting ability of the AK.

Just dont be so dramatic next time. Glad it turned out as it did, better him than you. You certainly earned your edelweiss that day.

I was thinking the same thing Veer G, Amsdorf, stop with your snarky dumbassery, the guy posted in the thread and you missed it!
Everyone screws up now and again, no biggie bro.

I don't get why you posted that link when (a) the thread started with a link to that very bear incident and (b) the person who wound up dealing with the bear via 5.45x39 aeration has posted in the thread. And yes, the consensus of opinion is that you say something to the bear to let it know that you're there in case it's of a mind to wander off and not try to eat you.

To Bergmann, glad you came out on top brother, good job!

Last edited:
Thank you for proving the sporting ability of the AK.

Just dont be so dramatic next time. Glad it turned out as it did, better him than you. You certainly earned your edelweiss that day.

Thank you......Dramatic? Ill take that as sarcasm or a joke..

Last edited:
Damn that's a big moose!
We shot a 2 or 3 year old up there, most tender, but something that big......

Bergman - ever hear the story of the guy that got pi cked up by a charging moose and was stuck on his rack? - ended up killing the moose with a machete??

Was a friend of mine up there, he and his partner were out hunting and got surprised, he couldn't shoot for fear his friend would get hit, they both used knives and machetes....was in the paper in Fairbanks, think it happened in the late 70's early 80's.

I was up there from 86-91.

No Sir. Never heard that one..Ill ask my old timer friend if he remembers...Crazy but very believable..

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pictures..

No Sir. Never heard that one..Ill ask my old timer friend if he remembers...Crazy but very believable..

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pictures..

I am more nervous about meeting old bullwinkle than booboo in the backcountry and even in my yard. Meeting bullwinkle happens every year and sometimes several times over a trip while meeting booboo happens once in a great time span. Bullwinkle will stand its ground even winding and seeing you, they charge every time and I have had them charge me in my yard. Booboo may charge but most likely, you never see booboo as he winded you long ago and slithered off, a startled/scared bear stands it ground.

I remember guiding a fall trek about 20 years ago on a good trail up ER, we turned a corner into the swamp keg to find moose, we scrambled for seemed like hours as moose keep charging, they had themselves worked up into a massive lather and us heading for the trees.

Thank you......Dramatic? Ill take that as sarcasm or a joke..

Absolute sarcasm.

The story is "dramatic" but for the guy in the middle it was just another day.

The source of any criticism you have received is not singularly based on the fact that such a wonderful animal is now dead. Some people are criticizing you because by reading your story they took a truthful look at themselves and they realized the cold hard truth that in a similar situation they would come up short. They would be nothing more than meat mixed with blueberries, mice and whatever else that beer had snacked on for the last few days. They realize that they are nothing but fodder waiting to be passed through the anus of a bruin. Their animosity toward you is recognition of their own failure. These people put themselves on a pedestal and figure they have it all figured out about how brave they will be with their can of pepper spray but your incident is the reality of how these events may go and that safe world they had built for themselves has come crumbling down - "Had I been there with my can of pepper spray I would have been no more than a hot people tamale. My moral, anti "violence", ethics did not meet the test. This man with the AK is living proof that putting your head in the sand like an ostrich leads to well fed bears".

Than they realize this applies to other interactions on a larger scale and it scares the pants off them.

Hey if the can of pepper spray works that's great but if your moral line excludes plan B than accept the fact you concede the ultimate victory if the other party does not abide by your code of ethics. Also accept the fact that someone else has the right to rail against the thought of taking a trip on the small intestine slide.

Sadly instead of turning away from the stupid side your critics entrench and become only more stubborn in their mistaken world view. Your detractors would rather have seen you eaten than the bear destroyed. They are that sick and that invested in their beliefs. If this bear had not come across you it could perhaps have come across a family with some kids out for a hike. Sounds like this thing was going to eat because hey that's what bears like to do. No ill intent on his part and no ill intent on your part. Two creatures met in a winner take all test and one walked away. He chose the game.

Sorry for the ramble. I like to use that psyche 101 class I was required to take in college. Guess a little bit of knowledge is a bad thing. I should stick to my day job.

In your shoes on that day...Id have shit myself, just a river of brown from first sighting forward. Like Brodie when he sees the shark "We need a bigger boat" than tears and girl crying, but that's just me. The bear would have been like "Man this guy is a sucky shot and he sure does taste like shit".

I was out doing some survival training one night and making a temporary rest spot and this girl came and deliberately came and sat in my position for a few hours..

The biggest monster I had ever seen was this guy. He was stalking a sow in rut and i was stalking him for some pictures... Alas he was denied hsi carnal needs and showed his displeasure to me....In the end the saw ran me off and i was a good distance from them..

Absolute sarcasm.

The story is "dramatic" but for the guy in the middle it was just another day.

The source of any criticism you have received is not singularly based on the fact that such a wonderful animal is now dead. Some people are criticizing you because by reading your story they took a truthful look at themselves and they realized the cold hard truth that in a similar situation they would come up short. They would be nothing more than meat mixed with blueberries, mice and whatever else that beer had snacked on for the last few days. They realize that they are nothing but fodder waiting to be passed through the anus of a bruin. Their animosity toward you is recognition of their own failure. These people put themselves on a pedestal and figure they have it all figured out about how brave they will be with their can of pepper spray but your incident is the reality of how these events may go and that safe world they had built for themselves has come crumbling down - "Had I been there with my can of pepper spray I would have been no more than a hot people tamale. My moral, anti "violence", ethics did not meet the test. This man with the AK is living proof that putting your head in the sand like an ostrich leads to well fed bears".

Than they realize this applies to other interactions on a larger scale and it scares the pants off them.

Hey if the can of pepper spray works that's great but if your moral line excludes plan B than accept the fact you concede the ultimate victory if the other party does not abide by your code of ethics. Also accept the fact that someone else has the right to rail against the thought of taking a trip on the small intestine slide.

Sadly instead of turning away from the stupid side your critics entrench and become only more stubborn in their mistaken world view. Your detractors would rather have seen you eaten than the bear destroyed. They are that sick and that invested in their beliefs. If this bear had not come across you it could perhaps have come across a family with some kids out for a hike. Sounds like this thing was going to eat because hey that's what bears like to do. No ill intent on his part and no ill intent on your part. Two creatures met in a winner take all test and one walked away. He chose the game.

Sorry for the ramble. I like to use that psyche 101 class I was required to take in college. Guess a little bit of knowledge is a bad thing. I should stick to my day job.

In your shoes on that day...Id have shit myself, just a river of brown from first sighting forward. Like Brodie when he sees the shark "We need a bigger boat" than tears and girl crying, but that's just me. The bear would have been like "Man this guy is a sucky shot and he sure does taste like shit".

Excellent reply Sir and I cant thank you enough for your words...

Excellent reply Sir and I cant thank you enough for your words...

Ah common Berg. If you'd been a REAL man you would have taken Smokey out with the can opener in your day pack.

Just sayin....LOL

Beautiful photos BTW. While were on moose how about this one.....

http://youtu.be/yNy9jTeolUk

Last edited:
Bergmann from what the haters wrote (not here) they made you out to be an animal murder. Now you go and post pics of you NOT killing moose and they now will call you racist.:D

90a08eec-1b72-4e07-8ae4-e67496290c00_zps482d8e7a.jpg

Bergmann may have a soft spot for moose... but this was mine. 960 dressed. Was in the record books in my home state for about eight years, then dropped out as bigger bulls were taken. Rifle is a Springfield '03 in .458 Magnum -- working rifle -- nothing pretty about it. I loaded the cartridges using a .45/70 Smokeless load. 80 yards in a short blowing heavy snow squall which ended just after I shot him. I waited about 10 minutes for the perfect shot, right through the heart. Used a fallen log as a rest. Used up five years of adrenaline in that 10 minutes. I still have the bullet which stopped right under his skin on the back side of his chest. Couldn't have been a more perfect load!! He dropped right where he was hit. His rack is on my wall and I have a rifle sheath for my muzzle-loader made from his skin.

For those who have not eaten moose... the meat is amazingly good. Not like bear at all. More like filet...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Not really soft spot, maybe respect..

and thats a nice moose..Thank you for the picture..

how long did that feed your family?

Family is not exactly the right term... neighborhood might be better! We had moose for 2 years. But I only kept about 1/4 of the meat. I gave away most of it. Half went to guys at the PD then lots went to neighbors and friends who got it cuts in order to 'try some.' Made a lot of moose Italian Sausage which was amazingly good. And moose breakfast sausage. Ate a lot of moose lasagna, too.

Respect is a good word for anything we hunt. Especially when it can 'hunt back.'

Cheers,

Sirhr

this is another reason I want an ak...if for some reason I miss or its out of rounds....I might be able to get a lucky swing in and club the bear before the bear kills me haha

90a08eec-1b72-4e07-8ae4-e67496290c00_zps482d8e7a.jpg

Bergmann may have a soft spot for moose... but this was mine. 960 dressed. Was in the record books in my home state for about eight years, then dropped out as bigger bulls were taken. Rifle is a Springfield '03 in .458 Magnum -- working rifle -- nothing pretty about it. I loaded the cartridges using a .45/70 Smokeless load. 80 yards in a short blowing heavy snow squall which ended just after I shot him. I waited about 10 minutes for the perfect shot, right through the heart. Used a fallen log as a rest. Used up five years of adrenaline in that 10 minutes. I still have the bullet which stopped right under his skin on the back side of his chest. Couldn't have been a more perfect load!! He dropped right where he was hit. His rack is on my wall and I have a rifle sheath for my muzzle-loader made from his skin.

For those who have not eaten moose... the meat is amazingly good. Not like bear at all. More like filet...

Cheers,

Sirhr

That rifle is awesome, where did you get those sights, NECG?

That rifle is awesome, where did you get those sights, NECG?

Hi Anvil:

I'd like to say that the gun is a finely built custom and all that yadda yadda... but fact is I got it for $350 at a gun store near Ft. Wainwright Alaska c. 2000, just as you see it. It's actually anything but pretty and had been a guide gun, at least according to the store owner. And you know how they always tell the truth. ;-) But it was tight, the serial number was in a good range (to handle the .458), the stock fit well and the whole gun was nicely made...if not fancy. And I simply liked it for what it was: a big working-man's cannon. When I got it, I almost took off the white line spacers, and even considered putting on a real ebony tip. But that would have spoiled someone else's vision. It is what it is and I decided to leave it be.

I checked the rear sight and it is a rear open leaf sight with ramp adjustment, most likely something from the Brownell's catalog c. 1970's when the gun was built. Williams brand. That was still the era of the $25 03A3 and people built a lot of interesting rifles from those inexpensive actions. And they sure didn't hang expensive parts off a surplus action, a sand-it-yourself Fajen stock and a screw-in barrel.

Let me know and I'll post some more pictures of the rifle for you. And thanks for taking an interest!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:
Hi Anvil:

I'd like to say that the gun is a finely built custom and all that yadda yadda... but fact is I got it for $350 at a gun store near Ft. Wainwright Alaska c. 2000, just as you see it. It's actually anything but pretty and had been a guide gun, at least according to the store owner. And you know how they always tell the truth. ;-) But it was tight, the serial number was in a good range (to handle the .458), the stock fit well and the whole gun was nicely made...if not fancy. And I simply liked it for what it was: a big working-man's cannon. When I got it, I almost took off the white line spacers, and even considered putting on a real ebony tip. But that would have spoiled someone else's vision. It is what it is and I decided to leave it be.

I checked the rear sight and it is a rear open leaf sight with ramp adjustment, most likely something from the Brownell's catalog c. 1970's when the gun was built. Williams brand. That was still the era of the $25 03A3 and people built a lot of interesting rifles from those inexpensive actions. And they sure didn't hang expensive parts off a surplus action, a sand-it-yourself Fajen stock and a screw-in barrel.

Let me know and I'll post some more pictures of the rifle for you. And thanks for taking an interest!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I'm more of a function than form kind of person, so a 350 dollar truck gun will always trump an expensive wall hanging museum piece in my book. My buddy is going through gunsmithing school and asked me if I had any guns he could work on, so I gave him a sporterized mauser 98 that I received in place of gas money after a hog hunt a few years back. He's building something very similar to your rifle out of it, but in 30-06, and he's almost to the point of putting on the sights.

a set of NECG sights would cost as much as the new barrel and FFL shipment fees I have invested in the gun, so naturally I've been searching for a good set of express sights that are in spirit with my "I got this gun basically for free" project and still be durable enough to survive my lunatic adventures and a lifetime of truck-gunnery.

So I guess I'll be checking out Williams after I get back from this morning's Slaying of Canada Geese.

Thanks for the info

I wonder how many .22lr is it gonna take to bring down a bear???

At this point. more than most people can afford. It might be cheaper to chuck a few bottles of this "Pappy" that everyone's talking about.

Well, given NY 5 round cap for rimfire, everyone might want to polish up their marksmenship skills...I figure 2 in each of the bear's eyes to blind and eventually killing itself with blind fury and the 5th round for "oh shiitttttt" better save this one for myself....

At this point. more than most people can afford. It might be cheaper to chuck a few bottles of this "Pappy" that everyone's talking about.

I'm more of a function than form kind of person, so a 350 dollar truck gun will always trump an expensive wall hanging museum piece in my book. My buddy is going through gunsmithing school and asked me if I had any guns he could work on, so I gave him a sporterized mauser 98 that I received in place of gas money after a hog hunt a few years back. He's building something very similar to your rifle out of it, but in 30-06, and he's almost to the point of putting on the sights.

a set of NECG sights would cost as much as the new barrel and FFL shipment fees I have invested in the gun, so naturally I've been searching for a good set of express sights that are in spirit with my "I got this gun basically for free" project and still be durable enough to survive my lunatic adventures and a lifetime of truck-gunnery.

So I guess I'll be checking out Williams after I get back from this morning's Slaying of Canada Geese.

Thanks for the info

WGOS/WDOS BASES | Brownells

^^^ Here are the sights. Pick your fav.

I miss my days Canada goose hunting. Used to go almost every morning. Would get up at 4, hunt, get into the office at 08:30... still in camo with a truck full of dead geese... love sautéed goose breast. Ok, enough thread hijacking for now. Glad to talk custom cheap rifles... but let's move to vintage area! I don't want to hijack Bergmann's thread totally!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Glad the hiker survived the dangerous encounter.
But I think the below pictures of the great bear with the puzzy Russian round on top of his skinned skull symbolizing I don't know exactly what, are totally unnecessary.
23195d1386365732-ak-74-vs-brown-bear-outside-anchorage-dscn3592.jpg