• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All around hunting and long range target bolt gun

Coon Hound

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2019
I was curious if I could get some recs on what a best all around hunting and long range target gun would look like. I have my standard deer gun in .308 -- a browning x-bolt pro -- and I have a dedicated long range gun -- a Hill Country Rifles 6.5cm with a mcmillan a5 stock. I'd like a 6.5 cm deer gun that can double as a good range gun out to 1000 yards.

Most of my hunting is in TN and Al for whitetail in a stand so I'm not trekking all over creation. Therefore I'm not that worried about weight, I just don't want a 20lb gun. I'd like to be able to throw a suppressor on it. as well as a bipod. And most of all I'm just looking for durability and fantastic accuracy.

I know this is a relatively vague and open ended question but I appreciate any feedback.

Tikka CTR, Seekins PH2, Bergara HMR, New Sig Cross, Q Fix, Christensen Arms MPR, and probably more I’m missing. That hells canyon browning with a McMillan is a nice option as well.

Tikka CTR in a Bravo.

Works great for deer hunting or any hunting that is not all day hiking. It is by no means a light rifle but also not a 20+ lb PRS rig.

Bergara has a bunch of fans. The stock is really nice compared to the Tikka. But read all the threads on here about them and the CTR.

I went CTR.

Reactions: 260284
Screenshot_20200108-085435.jpg

There are a lot of good options here. What kind of budget are you thinking?

Bergara HMR pro.
Mine is 12 lbs with everything installed. I haven't taken it hunting yet, but I definitely won't rule it out at that weight.

Sako A7 range rifle with Atlasworx bottom metal. Onsale at Sportsman's Warehouse. Its not perfect, but has a true 3 lug bolt/60 degree throw, recessed crown, not stuck with optilock rings. Stock isn't perfect but does the job. 5 shot submoa guarantee. Mine fully loaded its about 12lbs, though it doesn't have the best choice in sling or bipod. Mine is in 308 but there are reports of 6.5's out there.

link

86294831_209687730185233_72600619638063104_n.jpg

Last edited:
Want a magazine ?
Tikka ctr

Bdl
Bergara ridge 6.5 sp

I have had both and sold the tikka. I live in nashville and shoot at strategic edge with the bergara and hunt in AL. I like to stalk a bit and the bergara with an nx8/tbac cb7 didn’t stop me from killing hogs and deer. It’s also good at the range but I’m just there to hit steel for fun.

Reactions: Coon Hound
I'd like a 6.5 cm deer gun that can double as a good range gun out to 1000 yards.

I just don't want a 20lb gun.
I'd like to be able to throw a suppressor on it. as well as a bipod. And most of all I'm just looking for durability and fantastic accuracy.

I know this is a relatively vague and open ended question but I appreciate any feedback.

I'm not here to tell you what to do, what is best for you, or to tell you my Tikka or Bergara /whatever is the cats meow.. They are good buys for sure, but not the only way to get to your end game. I'm just sharing what I ended up doing for your similar use.

You can do both but the straggles might differ. You can take your current match gun and get a barrel vice and wrench both NREs, and a light weight hunting barrel spinning them off and on. Or get a entire new gun of course. I certainly took both approches. That said, both the match guns I converted and shown below, are the ones I shoot and the new gun, Tikka Superlite magnum, sits in the safe almost always.

I wanted a hunting gun and a field (hiking) match gun, but also one if a friend need a PRS style gun I could spin a heavy barrel on and be set.

Below is a 6.5CM Pig gun it comes in with the light fill, heavier 28oz scope, bipod and sling (most guys don't include that in their weight claims) at just over 11lbs. I can spin a match barrel on in minutes and it's about 16lbs with Atlas. Honestly, the gun hammers with either barrel that @MarcS at Spartan Rifles chambered. For Reference my Tikka superlite magnum with tiny pencil fluted barrel is 5.9lbs but with all the gear tips in over 9lbs for the real world and it is a beast to shoot, just no fun.
Unknown-47.jpeg

Below is my longer range hunting gun tossing 7mm 168s out about 3050 with this barrel and over 3100 with my longer heavy barrel.. same deal as above @MarcS at Spartan Rifles chambered it. Gun/scope is not set up the same way today and the gun fully kitted is just over 12lbs
Unknown-48.jpeg

So I could have saved almost 1 pound buy getting a cheap traditional hunting scope but that defeats my long range hunting, wind calls and any chance of really using it like the op described. I can also save weight if I did a detected hunter stock without adjustable comb but that just is 100% a deal breaker for me personally.

Hope this is just good food for thought - I don't think anyones choices are best for everyone, mine included.

Jim

Last edited:
Howa Long Range if you want a standard hunting type rifle.
Howa HCR or Bravo if you want chassis ergo's.

thats awesome.
ill spend a lot.
OP, I would heed Diver's advice above, what you want can be accomplished by almost anything from a good gunsmith. I suppose that would be my advice, talk to a good gunsmith who has a track record and building hammers. Talk to Machtech above, he can steer you in the right direction especially if you ever want to shoot 2 miles ;) Whoever said a 375 CheyTac isn't a good round for deer out of a stand :ROFLMAO:

I'm not here to tell you what to do, what is best for you, or to tell you my Tikka or Bergara /whatever is the cats meow.. They are good buys for sure, but not the only way to get to your end game. I'm just sharing what I ended up doing for your similar use.

You can do both but the straggles might differ. You can take your current match gun and get a barrel vice and wrench both NREs, and a light weight hunting barrel spinning them off and on. Or get a entire new gun of course. I certainly took both approches. That said, both the match guns I converted and shown below, are the ones I shoot and the new gun, Tikka Superlite magnum, sits in the safe almost always.

I wanted a hunting gun and a field (hiking) match gun, but also one if a friend need a PRS style gun I could spin a heavy barrel on and be set.

Below is a 6.5CM Pig gun it comes in with the light fill, heavier 28oz scope, bipod and sling (most guys don't include that in their weight claims) at just over 11lbs. I can spin a match barrel on in minutes and it's about 16lbs with Atlas. Honestly, the gun hammers with either barrel that @MarcS at Spartan Rifles chambered. For Reference my Tikka superlite magnum with tiny pencil fluted barrel is 5.9lbs but with all the gear tips in over 9lbs for the real world and it is a beast to shoot, just no fun.
View attachment 7248731

Below is my longer range hunting gun tossing 7mm 168s out about 3050 with this barrel and over 3100 with my longer heavy barrel.. same deal as above @MarcS at Spartan Rifles chambered it. Gun/scope is not set up the same way today and the gun fully kitted is just over 12lbs
View attachment 7248730

So I could have saved almost 1 pound buy getting a cheap traditional hunting scope but that defeats my long range hunting, wind calls and any chance of really using it like the op described. I can also save weight if I did a detected hunter stock without adjustable comb but that just is 100% a deal breaker for me personally.

Hope this is just good food for thought - I don't think anyones choices are best for everyone, mine included.

Jim
Thank you sir. This is most helpful.

Reactions: Diver160651