• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alpha Mags

KClark

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Oleta, CA USA
A couple weeks ago I bought two Type I 308 mags from Alpha. I've tried them in a Mcree G5 chasis on a B suffix 40X and a PTG Stealth dbm setup on a B prefix 700, neither feed, at all, ever. Both rifles feed slick with Mcrees mags and AI mags. Before I use a hammer and pliers on them I emailed Alpha, no response. I called Alpha yesterday and no one answered so I left a message. I PM'd Chris here on this site yesterday.

I'm reluctant to beat, bend and tweak these things after paying damn near $150 for them. Anybody else have problems with recent Alpha mags?

4-29 ETA: Have received pm from Chris, problem is being taken care of.

7-13 ETA: Problem has not been taken care of, Chris/Buldog has not made good on his word.

9-2 ETA: No response yet, junk still here.

Re: Alpha Mags

I've heard of issues with the Alpha mags and the McRee chassis but I've also heard people say that they run great. I have a chassis on the way so I'm hoping the Alpha mags work, if not then I'll move on to AI or McRee mags. Now, I've also been trying to resolve a mag issue since at least March and in that time I've only gotten ahold of Chris once. When I did get him on the phone he was nice and said that he'd send me out a brand new magazine when the next batch came in. He made it sound like that was just a week or so away so I thought that was cool of him but then again I haven't received a new mag yet either. That was last month sometime and since then I've messed with the mag to try to make it reliable but still no dice. It'll feed some and jam up others or the bolt will ride over the last round.

At this point I'm running out of patience with this mag issue so I'm going to see how the two Alphas work in my chassis and if they don't then they're gone.

This is the second post I've read about this recently. Makes me wonder how many other people are having issues ... a little disconcerting.

I had to tune the feedlips. I measured my ai mag feed lip width and bent the alphas to match. This seems to have worked but I haven't run them hard enough yet.

Still waiting on replacements and no word from Buldog since May 8th, no reply to emails, etc. Hope all is well with him. His last email:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith,

Good deal.. Stand by. I will have mags in bound right quick.

These will be heat treated, no expansion type mags.... Mabey a week or two till you get em..

Thanks again,

Chris </div></div>

I just ordered three type 1 last Friday. 7-July-2012. No tracking # yet just an email saying thank you for your money.

I had ordered (qty 2) type 1 .308's mid 2011, they work great on my Remington 700 SPS Tactical with Badger bottom metal... No feeding issues at all. Only problem I had was it took forever to ship them to me, they kept saying they had to send them in to get teflon coated first. But I eventually got them and im pleased. All the emails I sent were answered within a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck. I received mine within a week when I ordered it last month but it doesn't feed at all - even with only one normal length round in it (tried three different rifles) and I haven't gotten a response to my phone message or email in almost three weeks now. Check out the other thread on them:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3385254#Post3385254
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered three type 1 last Friday. 7-July-2012. No tracking # yet just an email saying thank you for your money. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple weeks ago I bought two Type I 308 mags from Alpha. I've tried them in a Mcree G5 chasis on a B suffix 40X and a PTG Stealth dbm setup on a B prefix 700, neither feed, at all, ever. Both rifles feed slick with Mcrees mags and AI mags. Before I use a hammer and pliers on them I emailed Alpha, no response. I called Alpha yesterday and no one answered so I left a message. I PM'd Chris here on this site yesterday.

I'm reluctant to beat, bend and tweak these things after paying damn near $150 for them. Anybody else have problems with recent Alpha mags?

4-29 ETA: Have received pm from Chris, problem is being taken care of. </div></div>

I tried them stock, bent, tweaked, and even filed to get them to seat in a Surgeon action.

They are actively being used at this time as conversational paper weights!

Lesson learned

Had 2 type 1 mags. Neither would reliably feed in my Manners mini chassis. Bent the feed lips to try and match the AI and still no go. Tried them in a AWP and custom 700, same problem. I was never able to get ahold of Chris and finally sold them to another hide member that was well aware of the issues I had. I will never buy them again and will stick with AI mags from now on. These mags are a hit and miss and I will say just avoid them and use something that is far proven as a product.

Flyingbullseye

I gotta say that ive had similar issues. If I load my mags up with the full 10 rds, it sometimes wont even seat in my DBM. I have a Aussie built Lumley Arms DBM. Its supposed to take AICS mags or alike and it likes AI mags just great, Alpha, well it doesnt like unless they only have 3-5rds.

Im going to stick with AI mags I think. My 5rd mags feed flawlessly.

You wont get a tracking number, even if you call and email asking for one. At least I didn't. I had ordered mine on the 24th of June, the order was filled that monday the 25th and I was told they shipped on that thursday the 27th but didn't get mine till July 9th (USPS within the same state) and the postage on the package said July 5th so I am sure I was lied to.

After finally getting the mags I fiddled with them for hours trying to get them to feed okay and accept all ten rounds without swelling too much to fit in my rifle I am still not very thrilled with them but I haven't yet used them out in the field and I don't have any other mags to compare them to so I am going to wait a bit before I attempt to return them, but that will be a challenge because chris doesn't return emails or phone calls

According to my account they have shipped today. We will see when they get here if they work.

It doesn't sound right to me. He is continuing to sell and sometimes ship mags but doesn't respond to my contact attemps while I sit here with $145 worth of junk he sent me.

Me thinks he needs to pay attention to where this thread is going and step in and fix things before there are 100s of posts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't sound right to me. He is continuing to sell and sometimes ship mags but doesn't respond to my contact attemps while I sit here with $145 worth of junk he sent me.

Me thinks he needs to pay attention to where this thread is going and step in and fix things before there are 100s of posts. </div></div>

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one he's been jerking around. I've been hunting for reviews on these mags and came across a thread on an Australian board where he basically has jerked them around just as badly as you. Click Here

Actually that makes me feel worse for not only have I been screwed over but now it appears it's international. Last thing we need is some assbag fuelling the Ugly American fire.

Chris, man up and do what's right.

I've got 4 Type 2 mags that work only marginally. Some of them will usually feed 10 rounds properly, some will only feed properly with 8 rounds in them, and sometimes they'll just randomly not feed the rounds properly at all. I've used them in 2 different CDI bottom metals on different rifles, as well as a Surgeon bottom metal on another rifle of mine. I've tweaked feedlips and whatever other voodoo I could come up with trying. I finally solved my magazine problems by switching to AI mags. All my rifles feed from the AI mags without any issues at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually that makes me feel worse for not only have I been screwed over but now it appears it's international. Last thing we need is some assbag fuelling the Ugly American fire.

Chris, man up and do what's right. </div></div>

Well, on his website says he DOES NOT ship internationally and DOES NOT cover for products outside of his jurisdiction, so if his product is sold to people outside the country, it is up to whoever sold his product to help the customer.

There is so much resentment for Alpha mags lately, you go back only a few months and these mags were praised by many people. I bought two type 3 magazines a few months ago and they feed flawlessly, though they have a little trouble holding the 7 rounds advertized (bulges a little too much for my tastes), if feeds fine no matter how many rounds are in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is so much resentment for Alpha mags lately, you go back only a few months and these mags were praised by many people. </div></div>

I think the people who paid a lot of money for crap that doesn't work and are stuck with it are entitled to be resentful

As I already said in the other thread, anyone who used a credit card and hasn't been able to get a response on retuning defective magazines should be able to dispute the charge with their credit card company. I've filled out the paperwork that mine sent and I'm waiting to hear back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually that makes me feel worse for not only have I been screwed over but now it appears it's international. Last thing we need is some assbag fuelling the Ugly American fire.

Chris, man up and do what's right. </div></div>

Well, on his website says he DOES NOT ship internationally and DOES NOT cover for products outside of his jurisdiction, so if his product is sold to people outside the country, it is up to whoever sold his product to help the customer.</div></div>

You should read the thread before you try and comment on it, they went directly through Chris at Alpha mags, not some third party vendor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nauta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I already said in the other thread, anyone who used a credit card and hasn't been able to get a response on retuning defective magazines should be able to dispute the charge with their credit card company. I've filled out the paperwork that mine sent and I'm waiting to hear back. </div></div>

Good luck getting the money back, hope you do. I just said screw it and sold mine for a small loss. Live and learn I guess. Its like he's gone into business and taking tips from Matt Wonders.

Matt Wonders (www.sightwonders.com) makes the WOTAC scope line that was supposed to have a lifetime warranty but has since been named one of the biggest busts in the budget scope world. They fall apart after a few hundred rounds, the lifetime warranty might as well be trash as he never responds to messages and rarely takes care of it in a timely manner.

Some say it is because he stretched himself too far, but sadly, all I see is someone who has failed at upholding his bond to the public, and more importantly his customers.

With all that being said, I have a 10 round Alpha mag I bought two years ago. While it may be tight in my XLR with a full 10 rounds (I usually run 9 to eliminate this problem) it does feed flawlessly even when I rack the bolt as fast as I can.

Bulldog is a good businessman, just busy, give him some time and I'm sure things will work out in your favor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apache</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bulldog is a good businessman, just busy, give him some time and I'm sure things will work out in your favor. </div></div>

This is what I would prefer. I'd much rather see him put out a good product in a timely fashion than to fail and leave a bad name. I'm rootin' for him.

I hope he's gtg. Having a DBM installed in my gun on Tuesday. I don't need to single feed during hunting season.

I have his 300WSM mags and they work great in 7WSM, 7RSAUM, and 300WSM! Just take a little tuning and they do just great. All 7 rounds fit as advertised for me.

I got my mags today.they look great. with ten rounds they are a tight fit. Nine rounds they are gtg. Dropping off stock at the smith to have my DBM installed. Tomorrow I will post how they work in the gun when I get it back. DBM is PTG.

Hey guys,

Is there any fix to make the 10rd mags work with 10rds and not have to run less? My just bulges when I have 10rds in there.

Im nearly ready to sell my Alpha's and grab some more AICS mags instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have his 300WSM mags and they work great in 7WSM, 7RSAUM, and 300WSM! Just take a little tuning and they do just great. All 7 rounds fit as advertised for me.

</div></div>

After reading some posts about them, I was mildly concerned about the two Type 3 WSM mags I ordered. Although it did take a phone call three weeks after ordering to receive them, both magazines feed/function 100% in a new XLR chassis/Surgeon action...

162 Amax @ 2.920
July4weekend025.jpg

I ordered 5 Type 2 mags around the 6th, got them on Monday. I think this thread jinxed me, had 2 already that worked fine, but only 4 out of 5 would take 10 rounds.

This 5th would take 8, the 9th would want to jump out, that is the feed lips wouldn't hold the round. It was much harder to load the last couple rounds as well. Last night I finally pulled the bottom off and took the mag apart. I tweaked the bottom coil of the spring and put it back together. Takes all 10 now.

There's another thread talking about either new material or a different heat treat process for the mags, but I can't tell any difference with the other two I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have his 300WSM mags and they work great in 7WSM, 7RSAUM, and 300WSM! Just take a little tuning and they do just great. All 7 rounds fit as advertised for me.

</div></div>

After reading some posts about them, I was mildly concerned about the two Type 3 WSM mags I ordered. Although it did take a phone call three weeks after ordering to receive them, both magazines feed/function 100% in a new XLR chassis/Surgeon action...

162 Amax @ 2.920 </div></div>

I load my 300wsm rounds to an oal of 2.950 in my alpha type 3 magazines and they fit and cycle just fine, I've also loaded round at a 2.965 oal and they fit just fine. I font like loading 7 rounds in mine because the magazine fits a little tight when I do, I actually only load 5 at a time because I don't feel a need to load more than that.

So I got my gun back yesterday. The mags load all 10 rounds. They don't feed for shit. Tweeked only one been on it for about three hrs. I can get the first to feed ok. Then the second will be stuck under the feed ramp. These are type 1

I'm glad I found this thread, I almost orderd two type 1's but after hearing all the problems people have had I will spend the extra coin and buy AI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I got my gun back yesterday. The mags load all 10 rounds. They don't feed for shit. Tweeked only one been on it for about three hrs. I can get the first to feed ok. Then the second will be stuck under the feed ramp. These are type 1 </div></div>

Yeah, I was really reluctant to tweak on mine, sounds like for good reason.

Anybody heard from Buldog/Chris or is he just taking money and shipping shit?

I waited over a month for my type 2s. After I wrote and email to Chris he sent me two however one of them had the mag retaining dimple in the wrong location for my DBM so I sold it to someone who had a different DBM. My second of the two mags had feed issues. I figured out the bolt was hitting one of the ears so I ground the ears to give a 45degree angle and keep the mag from tipping forward. Corrected the issue and it now feeds great.

I ordered another mag last week and don't have it in hand yet. I have no option but to go with them as my competition load is 2.900 in OAL. I hope I get this mag soon as I have a few competitions I'm going to really need it in.

Thank you,
Merritt

My Alpha mags hold 10 WSM rounds and they all feed fine, every time. Doesn't matter if they have one round or 10. I did have to modify the hell out of my Accuracy International mag to fit/feed WSM rounds at 2.970" and still isn't as good as the Alphas.

I did my own inletting/pillar bedding on a cheap laminate stock with a Pierce SA and a Precision Shooting Sports DBM.

I returned 2 type 2's about 2 months ago. Just came back from a 2 month trip and this thread prompted me to check, the money hasn't been refunded.

Gotta make a phone call.

I have two Type 2. They fed okay at room temp, but in cold weather the rounds hung up on the end of the feed lips. I tweaked the feed lips slightly with dykes (not that kind), and they feed just fine now.

The AI mag I have feeds perfectly. I suspect that there is a slight taper in the AI feed lips, just enough for the rim to not hang up on the feed lips.

I e-mailed Chris a few weeks back no response so I bought the high dollar AI mags n glad I did, no isues ,well worth the money. To me anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CHUBS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I e-mailed Chris a few weeks back no response so I bought the high dollar AI mags n glad I did, no isues ,well worth the money. To me anyway. </div></div>

mmphh, another customer lost.

Any new updates/resolution to customers, as I'm currently having problems with a couple SA Alpha mags in a Surgeon DBM? They swell when loaded with ten rounds, don't go easily into the rifle, and feeding problems/jam as well.

Last edited:
I received a Type 2 August of last year. I am just now getting around to using it to test a few test rounds for a new build and encountered some problems.

These 3 rounds are COAL of 2.945-2.947" and hang up. I was thinking I'd have clearance out to 2.965"? Are the rounds suppose to feed dead center? The feed lips are sharp and dig into the brass. I contacted Chris on 2/18.

I don't know if this is normal or what.

Wow this thread is not good for Alpha.
I have to be honest. I have 3 that I use in an AICS chassis and they work great.
Of course the real problem seems to be that he is not responding to customers with problems.
That is really a shame because I thought it was a good product.

Are the problems isolated to the type 2's? I am wanting to get a type one for the M40 just to run factory ammo through but if they don't work then...

I ordered two, received one and never heard back after 2 emails and a few phone call promises. I finally gave up.