• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Alpha Scope Review: Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Schmidt

Excellent review.

I own the 5-27 as well. When I first got mine I noticed some of the same play in the elevation turret as well as it only going to -0.4 on the zero stop. I attributed this to the locking turret style, and decided I like my ATACR turret better. Since running it a bit, I actually think the play has decreased. I still probably have about a line's width of play, call it 0.02 mil? My windage turret is perfect.

Additionally, today I re-zero'd for a different barrel, and my turret now stops perfect on -0.5. Just curious if this turret needs a little break in period since if I remember right it has a double detent or dual directin detent? Still not quite as firm as the windage turret, but I'm not sure if it is enough to call customer service. I might as well though since I've got a back up scope.

That's why the Gen3XR is such a big deal IMHO. Literally TT's only weak spot has been fixed in a big way.

It’s better than it was, but I definitely think they missed the mark a little with what the market is demanding at the moment.

Rather large center dot and dots on mils isn’t really where things are trending.

I’m picking up a tangent this week and opted for the gen2xr for these reasons.

That being said, I’m still going to continue with my plan of picking up a zcomp on the February shipment.

Reactions: Bravo6niner
For those who are interested, here are the averaged rankings minus the reticle portion since there are a fair few who do prefer the Horus reticle offerings from Schmidt (enough to make TT produce an H59, anyways). I personally think that the reticle selection portion of the review is the most opinionated, and thought it might be interesting to see the 3 of them compared on the performance of the scope itself rather than on which reticles are preferred by the OP.

Scope Ratings Without Reticle Selection (out of 10)
Schmidt: 9.49
ZCO: 9.64
TT: 9.87

For reticle selection it just felt interesting to me that the Schmidt was so heavily penalized for not having a very specific reticle option (slightly more tree than the Gen2XR, slightly less than the H59/Tremor3 - ala Gen3XR and MPCT 2). This felt especially unusual to me considering the fact that Schmidt has the widest offering of reticle choices (14 different options, 11 FFP and 3 SFP) while the highest scoring ZCO has only 2 (though the 2 they have are, indeed, fantastic options).

Full disclosure, I personally am a large fan of the Tremor3 reticle because I find it very well suited for the PRS and similar matches I compete in. Instead of writing or remembering an elevation and windage hold for each target distance in a stage I simply need to know the high and low wind values (applicable to all targets) and the elevations. I personally prefer to not fiddle with my turrets in the middle of a stage just because avoiding it gives me more time to focus on making a stable position and clean shot, so this fully influences my opinion.

Can you PM on what you mean
Thanks
Gilbert
The Schmidt and Bender illumination "tumor" is positioned in a spot that makes it difficult or impossible to operate the bolt on a left handed action since it protrudes out the left side of the scope. Schmidt offers illumination removal (at a price, unfortunately) for shooters who want the knob out of the way. The only scope they offer without illumination from the factory is the PMII Ultra Short.

The Schmidt and Bender illumination "tumor" is positioned in a spot that makes it difficult or impossible to operate the bolt on a left handed action since it protrudes out the left side of the scope. Schmidt offers illumination removal (at a price, unfortunately) for shooters who want the knob out of the way. The only scope they offer without illumination from the factory is the PMII Ultra Short.

Perfect explanation. And it cost another 300 to return it to factory condition if I wanted to do so after the removal.

We truly appreciate your support being one of the very first people to try our products and believe in what we have accomplished. It seems from your videos that the windage turret operates exactly as it should, and this is precisely our standard for how your elevation should operate. We will make it happen.

We have been gone at SHOT all week, have you tried contacting our service department yet regarding the turret not aligning and slight difficulty locking down?

This is definitely not our standard for our turrets and we are sorry you happened to have this problem. I can assure you this is an isolated incident and something our QC does look for, but will be even more cognizant of from now on. If you would please send Mr. Huber an email or call our department at 208-435-4000 and we'll issue a next day air ticket to take care of it. It'll be fixed and sent back the same day depending on what time of day it arrives.

This is not representative of our products. Rest assured, we will take care of this and will do what we can to make sure you are more than happy with your purchase.

On a side note, Jeff Huber and I are still at SHOT, have read your comparison, watched the videos, and have contacted our entire staff about the situation.

We will be back in the office tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. Please give us a call at the phone number above and this issue will be expedited.

Sincerely,

Mr. Huber, myself and the entire ZCO staff
How true is that..elev supposedly like how windage turret but you guys decided to make little less stiffer for faster adjusting like some PRS shooter would prefer..if that elev turret will be just as stiff as windage for next batch??? Dang i need to sell some stuff...

Last edited:
Reactions: gebhardt02
We truly appreciate your support being one of the very first people to try our products and believe in what we have accomplished. It seems from your videos that the windage turret operates exactly as it should, and this is precisely our standard for how your elevation should operate. We will make it happen.

We have been gone at SHOT all week, have you tried contacting our service department yet regarding the turret not aligning and slight difficulty locking down?

This is definitely not our standard for our turrets and we are sorry you happened to have this problem. I can assure you this is an isolated incident and something our QC does look for, but will be even more cognizant of from now on. If you would please send Mr. Huber an email or call our department at 208-435-4000 and we'll issue a next day air ticket to take care of it. It'll be fixed and sent back the same day depending on what time of day it arrives.

This is not representative of our products. Rest assured, we will take care of this and will do what we can to make sure you are more than happy with your purchase.

On a side note, Jeff Huber and I are still at SHOT, have read your comparison, watched the videos, and have contacted our entire staff about the situation.

We will be back in the office tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. Please give us a call at the phone number above and this issue will be expedited.

Sincerely,

Greatly appreciate the response. I know you guys are busy getting off the ground and with shot. This kind of customer service instills a lot of loyalty and makes all the difference. You guys should still believe in what you have accomplished. I've been giddy all your for it; still a fantastic scope. It's a nuisance more than a defect. But this market won't be tolerant of nuisances.

Excellent review.

I own the 5-27 as well. When I first got mine I noticed some of the same play in the elevation turret as well as it only going to -0.4 on the zero stop. I attributed this to the locking turret style, and decided I like my ATACR turret better. Since running it a bit, I actually think the play has decreased. I still probably have about a line's width of play, call it 0.02 mil? My windage turret is perfect.

Additionally, today I re-zero'd for a different barrel, and my turret now stops perfect on -0.5. Just curious if this turret needs a little break in period since if I remember right it has a double detent or dual directin detent? Still not quite as firm as the windage turret, but I'm not sure if it is enough to call customer service. I might as well though since I've got a back up scope.

Interesting. We ran it up and down probably about 100 times after seeing this, and didn't notice much difference besides it feeling a touch lighter. Tried multiple versions of rezeroing the turret, torquing the screws etc. that didn't make any difference. How many revolutions would you say?

For those who are interested, here are the averaged rankings minus the reticle portion since there are a fair few who do prefer the Horus reticle offerings from Schmidt (enough to make TT produce an H59, anyways). I personally think that the reticle selection portion of the review is the most opinionated, and thought it might be interesting to see the 3 of them compared on the performance of the scope itself rather than on which reticles are preferred by the OP.

Scope Ratings Without Reticle Selection (out of 10)
Schmidt: 9.49
ZCO: 9.64
TT: 9.87

For reticle selection it just felt interesting to me that the Schmidt was so heavily penalized for not having a very specific reticle option (slightly more tree than the Gen2XR, slightly less than the H59/Tremor3 - ala Gen3XR and MPCT 2). This felt especially unusual to me considering the fact that Schmidt has the widest offering of reticle choices (14 different options, 11 FFP and 3 SFP) while the highest scoring ZCO has only 2 (though the 2 they have are, indeed, fantastic options).

Full disclosure, I personally am a large fan of the Tremor3 reticle because I find it very well suited for the PRS and similar matches I compete in. Instead of writing or remembering an elevation and windage hold for each target distance in a stage I simply need to know the high and low wind values (applicable to all targets) and the elevations. I personally prefer to not fiddle with my turrets in the middle of a stage just because avoiding it gives me more time to focus on making a stable position and clean shot, so this fully influences my opinion.

fair enough.
I see where you're coming from. Maybe it's a regional situation, but most folks I have talked to, shoot with, follow, are all about tree rets, or simpler reticles. I changed it to a more accurate descriptor - 'Reticle Offerings/ Modern Applicability'. But sure; reticles are definitely subjected to subjectivity by nature. I am of the less is more mindset; where the scores come from.

Great review @arm017 , thank you for taking the time and putting this down. I have read through it a handful of times and it is very thorough and well executed.

It’s better than it was, but I definitely think they missed the mark a little with what the market is demanding at the moment.

Rather large center dot and dots on mils isn’t really where things are trending.

I’m picking up a tangent this week and opted for the gen2xr for these reasons.

That being said, I’m still going to continue with my plan of picking up a zcomp on the February shipment.
IMHO, the thru-scope pic I saw made the .07 center dot look much, much smaller than I thought it woudl look. I think that's one of those issues that appears worse on paper than in real life. I felt the same way (you can find my post stating such somewhere) until I saw the thru-scope pic. And some of the smaller dots start disappearing really easily at low mag (SKMR3). Mil-C and MR4 are .05, which really isn't much smaller.

Congrats on the TT though!

Last edited:
Reactions: LakuNoc
Awesome review, thank you so much for taking the time! Very well done.

IMHO, the thru-scope pic I saw made the .07 center dot look much, much smaller than I thought it woudl look. I think that's one of those issues that appears worse on paper than in real life. I felt the same way (you can find my post stating such somewhere) until I saw the thru-scope pic. And some of the smaller dots start disappearing really easily at low mag (SKMR3). Mil-C and MR4 are .05, which really isn't much smaller.

Congrats on the TT though!

Seen them in person. It’s huge compared to the rest of the reticle. At least for me. But I prefer the .035-.04 area.

And a .075 is 33% larger than .05

Great review ! by any chance maybe a video on how to set the zero stop and maybe a review of the reticle ?

Great review ! by any chance maybe a video on how to set the zero stop and maybe a review of the reticle ?

You take 2 screws out and put it back to zero.

The zero stop is set to .5 under.

Nothing to it to show.

So the zero set is “automatically set” for .4-.5 under zero. Similar to kahles’. Wherever you set your zero, the zero stop is good to go.

To set your zero you simply loosen dial in your zero with the turrets, and then zero up your turret by loosening up the screws with the markings notated, and returning to zero. Your zero stop is already set.

B5C0D320-D6C3-4D18-9167-87D244A8C43A.jpeg

Reactions: scorpio 25

Sincerely,

giphy.gif

Sincerely,

great response nice to know this will be taken care of.

It is nice that they responded so quickly and said they would take care of it.Gives you confidence in dealing with them.Im still waiting for the 4X20 reviews before i make a purchase.

They are not released yet :)

The 2 they had at shot were mechanically identical to the 5-27 fwiw. Can’t speak to the glass other than it does not tunnel. The 5-27 has a SLIGHT amount of tunneling from 5-6x. Nothing crazy like on a Schmidt from 5-7x. It’s so little you have to look for it. You probably wouldn’t notice unless I told you.

Reactions: CSTactical
Seen them in person. It’s huge compared to the rest of the reticle. At least for me. But I prefer the .035-.04 area.

Well that's unfortunate. I haven't seen them in person, although I hope to soon. Mil-C is probably my favorite, so I'm in the .05 camp, but the .07 didn't seem as overwhelming in the thru-scope pics as I thought it would.

Well that's unfortunate. I haven't seen them in person, although I hope to soon. Mil-C is probably my favorite, so I'm in the .05 camp, but the .07 didn't seem as overwhelming in the thru-scope pics as I thought it would.

It's not too big IMO, especially in the 10-25x range for shooting steel. It's easier to focus on at 15x than the .05 for sure.

It's not too big IMO, especially in the 10-25x range for shooting steel. It's easier to focus on at 15x than the .05 for sure.

I agree. I had a tendency to lose the dot on a skmr1/3 reticle under 12 power. Online reticle diagrams are at full power; it’s crazy how different they feel in real life. The only time I could see the .07 dot being an impedance would be target shooting at full mag. From what it looks like through the scope- .07 looks tailored to our game.

Reactions: MOUNTIC and lte82
I haven’t made too many full revolutions. Just dialing it up and down from 100 to 1000 yard dopeand then plenty of playing with t at the house. Like I said I swapped barrels yesterday and had to bring zero up about 0.7 mils. After doing this my zero stop was right on -0.5.

I agree the elevation turret feels a little lighter than the windage.

Went ahead and took a video to show it isn’t much of a hindrance in operation but a nitpick.

Interesting. We ran it up and down probably about 100 times after seeing this, and didn't notice much difference besides it feeling a touch lighter. Tried multiple versions of rezeroing the turret, torquing the screws etc. that didn't make any difference. How many revolutions would you say?

I haven’t made too many full revolutions. Just dialing it up and down from 100 to 1000 yard dopeand then plenty of playing with t at the house. Like I said I swapped barrels yesterday and had to bring zero up about 0.7 mils. After doing this my zero stop was right on -0.5.

I agree the elevation turret feels a little lighter than the windage.

Went ahead and took a video to show it isn’t much of a hindrance in operation but a nitpick.

nice video I am going to wait and see how mine is after some use maybe have to break in some

The first if a .75 inch dot with .264 shots around it....

The 2nd is 10" plate at 1025... the black is about 5 inches.... the target to the right is 31 inch round... The 3 shot are in the upper right 1/4...

The 3rd is a 6" circle at 550 yrds...

Image quality is a bit off. It is 20 degrees outside the door and 55 inside. Rifle is inside and the is a bit of mirage.
My 5 year old phone camera sucks. Soesnt do the scope any favors. Not an issue seeing any target or the impacts at any of theae ranges.....

Attachments

• 20190126_165324.jpg
    20190126_165324.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 421
  • 20190126_165540.jpg
    20190126_165540.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 20190126_165815.jpg
    20190126_165815.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
So are all of the elevation turrets going to be sloppy like this, or is it hit or miss? I’m on the list for the next batch and I’m going to be a little upset if I have to send in my scope before I even get to shoot with it.

You might like it. Reticles are so subjective it’s ridiculous.

If they would put a skmr1 or mpct1 type reticle in the TT, I’d own at least 3.

The first if a .75 inch dot with .264 shots around it....

The 2nd is 10" plate at 1025... the black is about 5 inches.... the target to the right is 31 inch round... The 3 shot are in the upper right 1/4...

The 3rd is a 6" circle at 550 yrds...

Image quality is a bit off. It is 20 degrees outside the door and 55 inside. Rifle is inside and the is a bit of mirage.
My 5 year old phone camera sucks. Soesnt do the scope any favors. Not an issue seeing any target or the impacts at any of theae ranges.....

We were talking the gen3xr.

Mpct1 and mpct2 are about as perfect as you can get.

@arm017 Have you contacted zco like they asked and sent your scope back yet? If not, will you? Do you intend to send it bck so that the lock slides downeasier? If not, why not? They seem eager to get it back paying both ways next day and getting it fixed up for you in one day so I’d say that’s the best any company can do or be expected of. If you do send it in and get it back being perfect, will you update your turret video and update the scope scores? That would seem a reasonable thing to do IMO.

Couple more Qs for ya…..I’m confused on the part where you mention having fighter jet pilots, doctors, or whatever helping you eval the scopes. Do they know what to look for in optical capabilities? Seems like not from the description. Or did you just want them to see which looked brighter or see impacts on white tgts?

And why didn’t you mount the scope like itll be used to eval how easy the scopes were to getbehind? The hand held camera seems pretty cheap to me. Maybe mount the optic when you get it back and actually use it on some field type shooting situations a bit then report back?

I’ve seen both ZCO reticles in person and the gen 3xr. The gen 3 and mpct2 are so similar you would never realize any difference in actual use. I’ve found the biggest thing with reticles is to just pick one and learn it really well and practice with it and you’ll become more proficient than you would if you’re constantly changing scopes and reticles chasing the next new thing. A lot of the guys that that actually win in PRS are using very simple reticles like h2cmr and updated mil dot reticles. Personally I think people put a bit too much emphasis on reticle especially when you’re comparing these that are so similar.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I’ve seen both ZCO reticles in person and the gen 3xr. The gen 3 and mpct2 are so similar you would never realize any difference in actual use. I’ve found the biggest thing with reticles is to just pick one and learn it really well and practice with it and you’ll become more proficient than you would if you’re constantly changing scopes and reticles chasing the next new thing. A lot of the guys that that actually win in PRS are using very simple reticles like h2cmr and updated mil dot reticles. Personally I think people put a bit too much emphasis on reticle especially when you’re comparing these that are so similar.

I have as well, and they aren’t that similar at all. The center dot in the gen3xr is quite large comparatively. Not sure how your eye doesn’t see the difference in something that is literally twice the size as the dot in the mpct/skmr/ebr7b.

Not to mention the hashes are set up entirely different, as well as one incorporating dots.

“Picking one” is not the best answer. It’s picking one that your eye “likes.”

If you’re staring at something that you have to work at to like, you’re doing it wrong.

@arm017 Have you contacted zco like they asked and sent your scope back yet? If not, will you? Do you intend to send it bck so that the lock slides downeasier? If not, why not? They seem eager to get it back paying both ways next day and getting it fixed up for you in one day so I’d say that’s the best any company can do or be expected of. If you do send it in and get it back being perfect, will you update your turret video and update the scope scores? That would seem a reasonable thing to do IMO.

Couple more Qs for ya…..I’m confused on the part where you mention having fighter jet pilots, doctors, or whatever helping you eval the scopes. Do they know what to look for in optical capabilities? Seems like not from the description. Or did you just want them to see which looked brighter or see impacts on white tgts?

And why didn’t you mount the scope like itll be used to eval how easy the scopes were to getbehind? The hand held camera seems pretty cheap to me. Maybe mount the optic when you get it back and actually use it on some field type shooting situations a bit then report back?

Why why why why why why why, did you make an account to post this?

Will you continue to be an asshole in future posts? If so, why?

Will you purchase the optic with your own fucking money and do a review that is up to your standards? If not, why not?

Last edited:
To be clear, I’m not saying the gen3xr is a bad reticle. Objectively speaking, it’s very good, well refined, and useable. I’m sure some people will like it very much.

You made an account yesterday for the sole purpose of attacking the OP.

Things that make you go hmm...

oswald_hands_off_cuba.png

I have as well, and they aren’t that similar at all. The center dot in the gen3xr is quite large comparatively. Not sure how your eye doesn’t see the difference in something that is literally twice the size as the dot in the mpct/skmr/ebr7b.

Not to mention the hashes are set up entirely different, as well as one incorporating dots.

“Picking one” is not the best answer. It’s picking one that your eye “likes.”

If you’re staring at something that you have to work at to like, you’re doing it wrong.

I def noticed the difference in dot size and I may be the minority’s but I actually like it. I shoot at 15x the vast majority of the time and the bigger dot is much easier to pick up I’ve noticed. At 25x I’m prone 100% of the time and very stable and I don’t think the dot makes any difference. .07 mil is minuscule. My group size at those distances (1000) at best will be around 5”. The dot is around 4” at that distance. And the targets are usually 20+”. I suppose if your used to the small dots it will strike you as being really big. As a guy that typically used crosshair type reticles in the past I don’t find the dot to be overly big. But you’re 100% correct in saying this is all personal preference.

Reactions: Dthomas3523

Will you continue to be an asshole in future posts? If so, why?

Will you purchase the optic with your own fucking money and do a review that is up to your standards? If not, why not?

Yes I did because I really want to see how zco handles this. Not trying to be an ass, just questions on my mind. sorry, typing doesn't reflect tone too well at all. And yeah, highly interested in zco, I'm rooting for them to be successful. So how their cs handles this in reality is important and itd be nice for the reviewer to report back on it.

Yes I did because I really want to see how zco handles this. Not trying to be an ass, just questions on my mind. sorry, typing doesn't reflect tone too well at all. And yeah, highly interested in zco, I'm rooting for them to be successful. So how their cs handles this in reality is important and itd be nice for the reviewer to report back on it.

Of the 6 scopes I’ve seen, 5 had some play in the turrets. I have no idea if they will fix this moving forward but they are def aware of the issue and I have confidence in their ability to remedy it.

while we are on the subject of reticles it would be nice if someone made a video on how to use the MPCT2 or explain it some on the Z527