• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Alternative .408 bullets

vld

Private
Minuteman
I know some of you are not aware that Rocky Mountain Bullets in Philipsbug, MT. (406)498-1934 are making .408, lead core-copper jacket match grade bullets, 420gr., 874 bc bullets. Just alittle FYI for for the .408 cheytac shooters.

Re: Alternative .408 bullets

Interesting. Price?

those lehigh bullets don´t have any spec like weight and bc i allso notice they have 338 bullets but same lack of info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ak-kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> those lehigh bullets don´t have any spec like weight and bc i allso notice they have 338 bullets but same lack of info </div></div>

AK: Click on the lil note that says click here for more information. Lehigh provides the data.

Thanks

thx to point me in the right direction i didn´t notice the link, for some reason i was specting a higer bc for the 408 bullets.

Has anyone tried the Lehigh .338s? I have not seen anything listed on actual trials of this projectile.

Do they indeed deliver superior performance over the SMK or scenars?

Anyone get a chance to try any of these bullets yet

George from Rocky Mountain Bullets started this thread a few years ago, and I thought I'd dust it off to see if there are any other .408 bullets commercially available to civilians, besides these:

1. Cutting Edge
  2. Chey-Tac
  3. Lehigh
  4. Rocky Mountain Bullets

I have been using George's jacketed bullets in my EDM XM .408, and was thinking of trying out some of the others, which I think are all solids, or trying something else that I may not be aware of. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:
I also am hoping for the update but am just interested in .408 solids. Is Lost River making the same solid .419s they started out with?

George from Rocky Mountain Bullets started this thread a few years ago, and I thought I'd dust it off to see if there are any other .408 bullets commercially available to civilians, besides these:

1. Cutting Edge
  2. Chey-Tac
  3. Lehigh
  4. Rocky Mountain Bullets

I have been using George's jacketed bullets in my EDM XM .408, and was thinking of trying out some of the others, which I think are all solids, or trying something else that I may not be aware of. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Lost River Ballistic Technologies has been gone since 2008 - one of the downsides of replying to a necropost. Even the late great Barney Lawton is a participant and he passed away years ago.

Lost River Ballistic Technologies has been gone since 2008 - one of the downsides of replying to a necropost. Even the late great Barney Lawton is a participant and he passed away years ago.

"Necropost"? Maybe....

I thought resurrecting the thread would be of interest to current .408 shooters like myself, because not every .408 shooter has moved on to the .375CT, and, I wanted to avoid starting a new thread on the same subject, i.e. on current .408CT bullet choices.

Last edited:
Problem with 408`s is most got built with 13 twist barrels. Probably won`t stabilize anything with higher BC. BC is easier to get when the bullet diameter gets bigger. We know that the Hornady 50cal AMAX has a BC over 1 and its only about 5 calibers long plus its stabilized in a constant 15 twist. To get BC close to that in a 375, it takes a gain twist barrel and solid projectile around 425grs. I believe a 408 bullet that weighs close to 475gr-490gr around 6.5 calibers long would have BC close to that if made right and would probably stabilize in a constant twist barrel faster than 13. If one had a case that held around 175grs of powder for this combo_One problem I see is ignition. I don`t believe the Fed 215 is hot enough to reliably ignite that much powder in cold temps. Only if Federal would release their 216 primer. They won`t sell that primer to the public. Also, I don`t believe the BC for the Rocky Mountain bullets is correct. I seriously doubt they make a bullet with a BC higher than .800.

Excaliber

Last edited:
Excaliber; hope all is going well there in Abingdon, still hope to get together with you guys in the future when I'm in Glade Springs. I read your post on the Fed 215 primers, just as a note, I was able to get good ignition at -20degF here in Fairbanks with 145 grains of H50-BMG in a 338 Snipetac, and 133 grains of Retumbo in a 375 Cheytac, that was with -20 cartridges/powder. Again all the best to you folks there in Washington County, hope to see you in the future.

Im also usin federal 215 in my 375 viersco magnum, and ignites perfect with 157gr of H50bmg in cold weather, ive been shooting it down to 0 degrees f.

To make absolutely sure I understand the answer to my question about availability of .408 Solids is that when my Lost River 419s are gone, I have piss poor low bc solids as an option and jacketed bullets which is the main reason I went .408 in the first place. This will likely force a damn fine .408 into becoming a .375 at great cost.

More or less, yes - however you should try the Cutting Edge 415gr MTH before you totally give up.

The 408 is still a great cartridge in the military. Mag friendly with the 419gr. It still delivers a heavier payload than the 375. Even though the 375 is flatter shooting, this comes with lighter bullets and when loaded with the heavy per caliber projectiles, they won`t fit mags. I don`t ever see a problem with availibility with 408 "Cheytac" bullets because of this. As long as you keep one, you will always have as many as you can afford, (wink, machine shop).

Dogtown,
What powder/ load range are you using for the CE MTH U03's? I purchased a few boxes from them at the GA Outdoor Show in PA last month and because of inclement weather have time to spend at the loading bench.
I did not see a mention of the T50 Solid Copper LR 400gr (from HSM) as a replacement option in the thread. Opinions?
I can sympathize with the concern over availability of LRB projectiles, but a reliable backup is necessary.
Serpent408

As far as duplicating a good bullet, it is not just a task of duplicating the outside dimensions, The mixture of various metals produces product that may or may not be the right hardness to spin optimally. Taking the easy way out with 100% copper because you have copper stock will not match the work that went into producing the original 419's that contained nickel and probably some other materials. If someone wants to try,, I will cough up the Lost River projectile for you to chase!

Not sure if any of these may help....

408 Caliber 400 gr. T50 Long Range Solid Bullet

CUTTING EDGE BULLETS SOLID COPPER BULLETS | Sinclair Intl

408 Caliber Spire Point Rebated Boat Tail Solid Standard Bullet - Accurate Bullet Company

Treadstone - Barnes Bullets .408 400 grain brass solid (each)

Lehigh 100rd Pack .408 400gr Projectiles - International Distributor of the Finest Firearms

Or, you could always do what has been suggested and have them custom made. Not the cheapest way to go but it works. I purchased some CH4D dies for a .408 project that never happened so I am not much help on finding bullets for it. I have enough issues with finding .416

Hairball:

The "Treadstone - Barnes" link is going to an old TTI product - and a company that apparently doesn't purge its old product listing. If you go to their home page seems they are not shipping anything at this point.

Add (beyond those noted earlier in this thread):

Dynamic Research, LLC - Home - call (good rep - check elsewhere on this site)

.408 Cheytac Solid Brass Bullet 100 count - may be the Accurate T50, poor description

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/bullet-lists/vld-brass-solids - Huntington and Midway import some of this brand, likely a hard sell to get them to do a custom order

Last edited: