• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Am I on track?

Wilsun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Lincoln, Nebraska
The gun club I belong to has a weekly 300 yard shoot. I would like to try it out.

Not too long ago, I bought a Remington 700P (1 in 12 twist) along with an SS 10X??HD scope. I have shot around 300 rounds of Ultramax ammo through it just to get comfortable.

The furthest I shot at was around 230 yards (first time in my life shooting over 150 yards) and I was able to get 3 shots within a 4 inch group (don't laugh...I'm new to this!).

I have a single press Lee reloader that I used for .30-06 for my Garand, but damn, does it seem to take forever to load rounds. (I'm interested in loading more to control variables than to reduce costs)

On Saturday, I dropped $535.99 at the local shooting goods store...here is what I bought:

1) A Redding T-7 Turret Reloading Press: I thought the turret press could speed up my reloading? Is that right?

2) 200 unprimed Remington .308 cases

3) 5 lbs of RL-15 powder

4) 200 155 grain Hornady A-Max bullets

5) A Redding .308 reloading die set (2 dies...I did not buy the "deluxe" set that comes with a Neck Sizing die)

My question: I have NOT opened any of the above and could return it to the sporting goods store (I have the receipt).

Am I on track to get started in 300 yard shooting? Should I have bought "match grade" ammo? Lapua Scenars are supposed to be good but the store didn't have any so I just bought the A-Max.

Please let me know your thoughts. Also, if I have NOT asked some questions that I should have, then feel free to provide some unsolicited advice. It is ALL much appreciated!

Thank you.

P.S. Is an electronic scale worth it? And what about a chronograph? Finally, I practice on a farm with uneven terrain so I was *thinking* of dropping $600 on a Leica rangefinder...however...well $600 is $600 and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Thanks again.

Re: Am I on track?

If I were you I'd stick with the single stage.

Return your press and a few lbs of powder and buy an RCBS Chargemaster/Scale.

Itll give you very accurate powder drops, quickly.

Get your hands on some varget and some 155 scenars and 175 SMK's and try some different loads.

and yes the digital scale is worth it!

If you can get your hands on a competition seating die its very nice as well.

Get a couple bullet trays so that you can be doing 100 round or so batches of bullets.

Fill all 100 cases with powder then seat all 100 bullets rather than doing 1 complete round at a time.

Re: Am I on track?

The Redding T-7 press is a very dependay and easy to function press. Set your dies up onse and leave it alone. Then when you are ready to start, turn the press to the appropriate die. The T-7 is not a progressive type press. You have to function the press to the correct die station. Read the owner's manual at least twice before starting to set things up.

After you have inspected and lubed your cases, start with the sizing / decapping die. When all your cases are correctly sized, move to the seating die. After priming and dispensing powder, you can start seating the bullets.

I see nothing wrong with your purchases. Everything you bought has a good quality name behind it. You'll probably find the Redding press easier to stroke because of the better linkage / leverage design.

Good luck.