• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

American Eagle 168 gr OTM & targetsportsUSA.com

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2009
    Ingleside, Tx
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but I recently ordered through my agency a 500 round case of American Eagle 168 grain OTM ammo from the good folks at target sports.
    Ordering was pain free, service was excellent and shipping time was very good.
    Price was OUTSTANDING, about 412 bucks for 500 rounds SHIPPED!
    http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-1397-fe...-20-rounds.aspx

I zeroed my rifle at the local range for 100 yards (Savage PC10, Falcon Menace 4-14 EMD, EGW 20MOA base, Burris XTR low rings), easily 1/2 MOA, required 1/2 mil come-up for zero at 200 yards, maintained the 1/2 moa. Range only goes to 200 yards.
    This ammo is intended as a low cost alternative for M1A match use, it has crimped in primers and a blue sealant on the primers.
    Very Clean, very accurae and Kudo's to target sports for the excellent service.
    Wasn't sure if I should tell you guys, you'll probably buy it all up!

Re: American Eagle 168 gr OTM & targetsportsUSA.com

Ya, I've had good luck with this ammunition also.

I ran some through my DPMS lr308 last week. It wouldn't group for shit out of the 18" bull barrel upper. I've not ran any down the tube of my bolt gun though.

I know I'm not the sharpest tack in the box... but I never realized until looking at your ad that Federal made both a 7.62x51 and a .308 Win version of Gold Medal Match. You learn something new every day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I'm not the sharpest tack in the box... but I never realized until looking at your ad that Federal made both a 7.62x51 and a .308 Win version of Gold Medal Match. You learn something new every day. </div></div>

I am just as surprised as you are. According to Federal it is the same stuff, except better quality brass and the NATO Head Stamp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Samdel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I'm not the sharpest tack in the box... but I never realized until looking at your ad that Federal made both a 7.62x51 and a .308 Win version of Gold Medal Match. You learn something new every day. </div></div>

I am just as surprised as you are. According to Federal it is the same stuff, except better quality brass and the NATO Head Stamp. </div></div>

The brass it is not Nato stamped. It is cheaper that their GMM so I doubt the brass is any 'better' either. It does shoot well in my .308 bolt rifle. But, I use it as an alternative to ball. Not as a replacement for match ammunition. Good marketing ploy for Federal, making M1A shooters think that there is a 'special' load for them to use.

Good luck

Jerry

Differences I have seen between M1A OTM and GMM.

OTM: Slightly heavier brass (thicker web), and primer crimp, non Sierra bullet, different head-stamp than GMM. I bet this is the military machine gun brass with a cheaper match bullet.

GMM: Lighter brass, no crimp, Sierra bullet. I bet this is the hunting brass with a SMK.

Anyone know better?

GMM shoots a lot better in my Bolt and Gas guns. But I know others that the opposite is true.

Lots of Federal .308 on sale since Jan., at really good prices.

Thats correct on the Eagle OTM. I've never seen 7.62x51mm in a Premium GMM box or with SMK bullets before ? The Federal Eagle OTM is 168 gr... I was talking about the .308 GMM vs the 7.62 GMM links.

762gmm.jpg

1596a.jpg

I have bought a ton of 6.5 creedmoor from Target USA, free ship on case qty is nice. Now I made the mistake of looking at this thread and just spent more money over there!