• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Movie Theater America's "Top Shot" on History channel

Re: America's "Top Shot" on History channel

I don' t know who the 16 people on the show are, and I am only aware of one guy for sure that is on here that I know personally. There maybe more than one, but the one I know is more known for handguns than precision rifle and no he doesn't own a CheyTac, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone else who does.

I think it's a good thing having them all compete with a potpourri of weapons. It will really show who can be an well rounded "marksman".

No, I doubt there is any SH references on the show... at least I have to say I wouldn't know if there was or not. I didn't give anyone anything to wear that is for sure.

The person to ask is Cowboy Bravo he is local to him, so he would know more than I would.

Really I have paid no attention to the show and until the commercials started I sort of forgot about it.

I was one of the lucky fifty finalists invited to LA to meet the producers. I did not make the show however. It may have been my personality? But hey, I can't turn down a free week in Cali. It was real cold in NY.

i don't know how they are going to come about to say that one is going to be the "top shot" winner.

how are they going to say that a guy with a hatchet is better than a guy with a barret at 800 yards, or a guy wth a recurve out shot a guy with peacekeeper?

whole lotta apples and oranges.

even though it hasn't aired yet, i can't wait for "top shot 2".

Chris Cerino is the hide member... more of a lurker here on the hide and a sponge for knowledge. He will be one to watch. He is not a competition shooter though he shoots in a few LE matches from time to time.

I was in but once the PR people from work talked to the producers and shit they told me they didnt want me to do it!! I had 2 choices not go or burn all my 2010 vacation for it.

They were worried about drama and fighting amongst the competetors.

I passed this time but season 2 look out!!

wondrin why they didnt get the guy that won all army this year for that show. hear hes a pretty good all around shooter and has a pres 100 tab. just sayin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wondrin why they didnt get the guy that won all army this year for that show. hear hes a pretty good all around shooter and has a pres 100 tab. just sayin</div></div>

Sure but can he throw a battle axe and a wrist rocket?

Definitely sounds like a cool guy. It would be hard to be there doin your thing with a camera shoved in your face I'd think.

Yeah, he seems like a pretty good dude. I've got the DVR set for tomorrow night. Hopefully it's a good show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in but once the PR people from work talked to the producers and shit they told me they didnt want me to do it!! I had 2 choices not go or burn all my 2010 vacation for it.

They were worried about drama and fighting amongst the competetors.

I passed this time but season 2 look out!! </div></div>

A number of friends of mine forwarded me the casting call invitation once it was announced, as they know all too well my predilection for the bang bang
smile.gif
. I gave it about 15 minutes of consideration and declined...

I've seen too many reality shows (and known too many people involved in them) to give them even an ounce of my trust. Basically, the producers have about 99 opportunities and a whole lot of incentive to "change around" what happened for every 1 opportunity to show things in a balanced or truthful light. They are out to make entertainment, plain and simple, and when the footage hits the editing room, you can forget about fairness, integrity, or any sort of portrayal of the events in their actual order or circumstance!

Now, I don't think that with a show like this- and its intended audience -you're likely to quite get Flavor of Love levels of artistic license and debauchery, but I thought about it this way- they have a tiny ounce to gain by portraying me (or any of the others) and our interactions accurately, and a whole heck of a lot more to gain by exaggeration, twisting, cutting, and piecing back together to make the best narrative. Is it really worth it?

"Paid monkey" comes to mind
smile.gif

Top Shot is currently on right now. The first event is shooting 4 different rifles after going through an obstacle. There are at least three IPSC grand masters on the team. One of them is very good with a rifle.

Good thing they were only shooting to 100. Could have been a REALLY long show!
laugh.gif

I am already not crazy about the process of elimination, and the politics of it all.

Kelly

Damn, tell me about it...if I wanted to watch a shooter fire 30 rounds and not hit anything I would've gone to my local conservation club to watch some hunter try to sight in his deer rifle. I also thought it was a little funny that the same guy that couldn't hit the 100 yard target damn near missed the target with the pistol.

The elimination shoot off was pretty good. They fired at targets that were at 200, 400 and 600 yards. They used what looked like REM 700 PSS with Leupold M1 scopes. The shooters did not have very good spotters, but the one kid said he was making the corrections before the spotter told him.

The spotting scopes were either Barksa or Counter Sniper, thus the guys spotting could not see any thing.
crazy.gif

Gotta love Kelly shooting the smiley face on the target and the others getting offended by it.......he backed his smack talk up by eliminating a professional shooter/instructor in short order.

That young kid, Kelly, he knows his shit it looks like. Glad he didn't get put out.

Now I know why they did'nt pick me. I'm too good! Its a bit dissapointing knowing I was so close at something so easy!

Man, ya feel bad missing an easy target at 400 or 500 yards at a match with 25 or so shooters watching behind ya, can't imagine how I'd feel with the whole world watching ya and having problems at a target that should of been easy pickins.

He just had one of those days when nothing goes right when it means so much to be at your best. Interesting show but they sure added a lot to it to increase the drama for the audience.

Topstrap

Wow, seriously that black dude was a terrible spotter.

He kept calling the guy's shots high left when it was pretty obvious that the impacts were low left.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, tell me about it...if I wanted to watch a shooter fire 30 rounds and not hit anything I would've gone to my local conservation club to watch some hunter try to sight in his deer rifle. </div></div>

ROTFL

I had the same thought... The ending was a little better. Definitely better than watching Ice Road Trucker reruns though...

I actually enjoyed the show. 100 yard shot with irons and no spotter is gonna be tough. Knowing Mike Seeklander, I really felt for him, but he got schooled in the shootoff.

I felt like Mike and his spotter should have been in the shootoff since non of the other people on the team could have affected the outcome of the team competition.

Looking forward to next week with all of the Grandmaster pistol shooters on the show.

Randy

Im no expert, but 20+ rounds to hit a 8+ inch reactive circle??? How bad can you get?

One thing I just thought of in Mike's defense is that the 1903 is battle sighted to 350 yds with the ladder down. If you aren't aware of this you'll be shooting plenty high at 100. It was made that way due to the thoughts on how wars would be fought which is always based on the last. It and the Model of 1917 are the same and can be hard to shoot at 100 without "Kentucky windage" on your elevation. 1903A3 had different sights and mine will pop 4"clay pigeons at 100 all day.

Mosin Nagants are zeroed at 300 meters.....the other team figured them out pretty handily. Mike choked after he missed a few times.....and his spotter was shitty too. Anybody can have a bad day though, and he had a bad day with the camera on him! I would have liked to seen the rest of the team run through the motions, even after they were beaten.....might have provided more information.

Kelly

Ultimat fighter + shooting sports = man drama :-/ . But hey I'll watch anything about shooting hehe. I wish they posted more info on the COF. Actual target size, hits, misses, time. This way I would know whats really doing, not what the editing wants it to look like. Although it may look like a relay may have been completed in x shots in x time, without it being stated it just may be edited to look that way. With this info we could also have a little of our own fun recreating the challenges.

On a side note Im almost positive Ive shot with Racaza back when I used to shoot IPSC. Im putting my money on him.

Shane

as i posted in the other top shot thread:

yeah i was somewhat let down.

how the hell did they let that mike guy in? can someone that is so "versed" in shooting miss 100 yards over and over again?

so next week, i'll try to stay up less and get an extra hour of shuteye, and let the airsoft nation drive up the ratings.

i think that either that kid, the lady, or the plumber will take it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That young kid, Kelly, he knows his shit it looks like. Glad he didn't get put out. </div></div>

Im a younger guy (26) and I think Kelly is pretty cool. Some of the older guys on there, especialy the ones that voted kelly into the shoot off seem kinda stuck up. Im glad Kelly schooled the old man. Kellys spotter the marine sniper guy seams pretty laid back, honest and im sure talented, Im rooting for him too.

CJG

Where in the hell did they find these guys? I know 5 shooters that have way more notches on the belts than some of these guys. Maybe pistol shooting is more important than rifle. I know that they shoot all different types of weapons but come on.

My main problem with the show is that I was hoping it would be a contest where all the contestants would try their hand at duplicating famous trick shots or legendary real world shots, or simply competing against one another in various weapon systems......

Instead it's a stupid copycat of "survivor" except with firearms....The only 2 people who should have <span style="font-weight: bold">EVEN BEEN CONSIDERED</span> for the first elimination was Mike & his spotter. They were the only 2 on the Red Team who even got to shoot on the first day, & they both screwed up by failing the first stage, Mike as the shooter & his spotter for failing to assist him.....They should have been the only two in the "elimination shoot off".....

How the "Kid" could wind up having to keep himself on the show after the first day of shooting, when he didn't do anything to warrant it, shows that this show isn't about determining who's the Top Shot.....it's another stupid social behavioral reality show.

That being said.......I'll keep watching it simply cause it's got firearms.....
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wondrin why they didnt get the guy that won all army this year for that show. hear hes a pretty good all around shooter and has a pres 100 tab. just sayin</div></div>

Sure but can he throw a battle axe and a wrist rocket? </div></div>

they asked but I said if they werent gonna be shootin exploding cat targets I was out

also, thought it was an interesting enough spin on the show Survivor. What was that Woman's claim to fame? was it only cause she won her Police academy class shooting comp like it said on the show? or is she in a sport somewhere else? any knowledge?

and Mechanic, I dont know about a wrist rocket but I can wrangle a mean pocket rocket.....wait, what!?!!!

History channel kinda screwed the pooch on this one.
Mike shot what, about 30 rounds?
Spotter shouldn't matter with that many.
Thank-you for clearing the brush, or making a hole.
Niether one could figure it out.

To have a shoot with 16 of the best, they should have been put on equal ground.
All the same, position doesn't matter.

Blame it on the gun or shooter all you want.
Was it the best they could have made it?

Yes, drawing for stages shows a little about working together to gitter dun.
Not who is the best at everything.

The kid was also shown in the highlights for next week, before the shoot off!

yeah editing was horrible, during the shootoff it showed the kid working the bolt handle with his left hand, so I rewinded it (DVR'd) and it was correct, him using right hand but the entire screen image was mirrored, guessing they had footage of him prone shootin that rifle but wanted to look like it was during the shootoff where the other guy wouldve been in the way for that angle. also before the kids third shot it showed him lean farward and flip open his scope caps, HA HA HA AFTER two shots!

There was surely some editing issues, and I also noticed the kid in the highlights for next week before the shootoff.

The show itself is pretty interesting in concept, but I also thought it was going to be recreating hitorical shots or "impossible" shots. I never seen or heard anything about the survivor type competition.

The "kid" Kelly did have some pretty decent skills with taking shots well before the spotter called them or without adjusting the scope for wind. That was skill that schooled mike, not luck and I'm happy to see some promising entertainment in the future.

But as several others have said, I will continue to watch just cuz it has firearms and possibly with the hope of challenging my friends to thier setups.