• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo Prices: The Panic is On - Big Time

My reloading bench is looking pretty good to me, right now.

I bet! Does reloading tend to make you more conservative in how much you shoot since you actually "roll your own" and appreciate the time involved? I try to limit my consumption by preloading my magazines. I take X full mags and therefore shooting is over when mags are all empty. As opposed to plopping a 1,000 round case of ammo on the bench and just wailing away until it is all gone.

My reloading bench is looking pretty good to me, right now.

No shortage here either. It does take some time, but I load my .5MOA .223Rem 77NCC to 2920fps for $23.50/100 and Pdog/plinker loads for $13/100.

Buy it cheap, stack it deep.

No shortage here either. It does take some time, but I load my .5MOA .223Rem 77NCC to 2920fps for $23.50/100 and Pdog/plinker loads for $13/100.
wow, cheap but impressive results! does the $23.50 include any amortization of your equipment, or is it just ammo components? does it include new brass, amortized/re-used a couple of times, or used brass from the start? one of these days...

This rise in the cost of 9mm, 223/556 and 308/762 will pass just as it did after Sandy Hook especially if Trump is re-elected this fall. Now if sleepy creepy demented Joe gets in there all bets are off.

Looks to me like recovering stock is generally priced about 30% higher than pre-panic prices.

Also interesting is some of the smaller manufacturers have been pretty quick to market.

Reactions: Centuriator
I'm surprised to see any stock at this point....I was all set up to buy a Mossberg 590A1, had sent my money in and then got a call, "Sorry, but we are out of stock, we are returning your money order." Dang....and now Mossbergs are all out of stock everywhere.

Is this one of the places that will have plenty in stock next week at an adjusted price?

Or did they offer "rain check" option?

I'd like to reload just because I think it would be fun and interesting.

It's a hobby that supports another hobby and it's fun if you like to experiment.

It doesnt save any money unless you are doing bulk on a progressive press.

It does however give you independence from ammo suppliers. And allows you to tailor ammo to your specific rifle.

Definitely not cheaper if you only shoot a little and have expensive taste. If you shoot a lot, then it is definitely cheaper. Roughly half the cost, but your time is worth something too. So if you have a good job and make a lot of money, buy it.

I don't know what Gecco used to sell for, but with shipping here is what I would pay for a case of it. I was paying around $280, shipped for a case of 55gr stuff before.

1585325524018.png

Yep, its "around" the 30% markup I previously mentioned. I see about the same 30% at most reputable places that are still getting stock.

I do believe the first panic buy is fading.

IMO, those new to firearms that just purchased in the panic are likely not the types that will stock up on 1000s of rounds - this time anyways. :)

But "we" likely added a ton of future panic buyers...

Yep, its "around" the 30% markup I previously mentioned. I see about the same 30% at most reputable places that are still getting stock.

I do believe the first panic buy is fading.

IMO, those new to firearms that just purchased in the panic are likely not the types that will stock up on 1000s of rounds - this time anyways. :)

But "we" likely added a ton of future panic buyers...

And they don't know any better anyway. :)

does the $23.50 include any amortization of your equipment, or is it just ammo components? does it include new brass, amortized/re-used a couple of times, or used brass from the start? one of these days...

Bullet, primer, and powder plus my time.

Equipment has already paid for itself; I've been reloading for decades. I get dozens of reloads off LC brass that I purchased years ago for scrap rate ($2/lb) so, for me, brass costs about 1/10th a penny per shot.

But if you really want to take it to the Nth degree:
$300 rifle
$150 barrel
$140 reamer
$200 bipod
$250 scope
$50 rings
$500 muzzle device
$50 press
$15 dies
$500 scale
$25,000 garage
$6,000 lathe
$1,500 hobby mill
$500 fixtures
$50/mo utilities
$125/mo property tax
$40,000 for that Liberal Arts degree
and a shit load of beer and tacos to keep me fat.
(I'm still paying for the house next to the garage...)

Seeing this at Bass Pro right now, free shipping, and April 6th estimated deliver to me (but I am not ordering any)

That is maybe a 1 or 2 cent per round price hike from 4 weeks ago

1585338325253.png

I bet! Does reloading tend to make you more conservative in how much you shoot since you actually "roll your own" and appreciate the time involved? I try to limit my consumption by preloading my magazines. I take X full mags and therefore shooting is over when mags are all empty. As opposed to plopping a 1,000 round case of ammo on the bench and just wailing away until it is all gone.

Even when cheap ammo existed ($100 cases of 7.62x39) I was never one to expend as much as I could in a day. A typical range trip might be 60 rounds of rifle or pistol on average.

I don't know what Gecco used to sell for, but with shipping here is what I would pay for a case of it. I was paying around $280, shipped for a case of 55gr stuff before.

View attachment 7283107

Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ is usually under $300 with tax a case locally. For 100 yard rifle matches it's not worth loading 55's.

I started loading to make 77 gn 5.56 match ammo. Funny, Black Hills match has been a buck a round for 20 years.

With an RCBS Rock Chucker Kit, primers, powder, bullets, and "free" brass (brass from issued ammo and shooters who don't reload) it cost less to get into hand loading as buying a case of Black Hills Match.

BTW, Black Hills match .223/5.56 is MK262. The only difference is head stamps.

FYI ... American Eagle is OOS at Bass.

I'm very glad I stocked several years go. My wife thought I was nuts. Now...she said, "I get it."

Do you also get angry when your local gas station raises prices overnight?

Your "buddy" runs a business. He doesn't know what his immediate future looks like in regards to his business remaining open. IF he has to close for 30 days or more, it could put him out of business. He's only reacting to existing market demands. He's also suffered the incredibly low prices and competitiveness of online ammo sellers. Unless he's made a promise, or more appropriately, a contract with you and your friends, he owes you nothing. Just as you owe him nothing. And based on your posts in this thread, he's likely happy to move on from you anyway.

The ammo industry was invaded by opportunists seeing a market not meeting demand. Eventually that demand was met and what you saw the last year or so was investors/business' unloading what they could, while they could in order to reman solvent or recoup what investments they made. Many, based on those prices, probably didn't make much if any money. But that's business. There's as risk vs. reward scenario and your "friend" is only reaping the rewards of his risks whether you approve or not.
That's why I bought so much last year!!!
Probably good for 5 yrs or more now.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I'm surprised to see any stock at this point....I was all set up to buy a Mossberg 590A1, had sent my money in and then got a call, "Sorry, but we are out of stock, we are returning your money order." Dang....and now Mossbergs are all out of stock everywhere.

what happened in the Maryland Virginia area is that everyone went out and bought one guns because there was either only the federal background check, or in the case of Maryland you didn’t have to have firearms ID card.

In other words for home defense shotgun’s are all cash and carry

Is this what butt-hurt sounds like? Very un-dude of you.

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my reloading press.
The good thing about these lockdown orders is it gives me plenty of free time to load. And to Walter Sobchak, reloaders don’t only reload. I have plenty of cases of manufactured ammo but my big boomers deserve the best and my mk12 only likes 77gr SMKs so thats the only AR I load for.

What are some of your guesses on how soon prices will go back so somewhat normal? I keep thinking this is the worst I’ve ever seen it, but then I remember in 2008 when you couldn’t find a box of 22LR if Your life depended on it.

Every serious shooters needs to at least know how to reload. My opinion.

What are some of your guesses on how soon prices will go back so somewhat normal? I keep thinking this is the worst I’ve ever seen it, but then I remember in 2008 when you couldn’t find a box of 22LR if Your life depended on it.

Id say prices may drop within a couple of months by the way stock is recovering. Especially in 223 and other rifle calibers.

Appears the manufacturers are taking a different approach with handgun ammo, choosing to make/ship more expensive self defense ammo before the less expensive range FMJ ammo.

Always hard to tell and a second panic wave could basically strike at any time. It is also possible that prices will stay elevated up to (and depending on results) of the election as well.

Agree on reloading, might be worth an investment into a basic reloading setup for the first timers (like me). My dad always reloaded but I just never got into it. Have some stuff laying around and am going to start looking into what else I need to get started up. One positive is I have always saved brass even though I do not reload...so have 1000s to work with. Guess I will start seperating headstamps.

Anywho, I would check prices everyday and search around. Some good deals still out there. Budget accordingly, etc.

Id say prices may drop within a couple of months by the way stock is recovering. Especially in 223 and other rifle calibers.

Appears the manufacturers are taking a different approach with handgun ammo, choosing to make/ship more expensive self defense ammo before the less expensive range FMJ ammo.

Always hard to tell and a second panic wave could basically strike at any time. It is also possible that prices will stay elevated up to (and depending on results) of the election as well.

Agree on reloading, might be worth an investment into a basic reloading setup for the first timers (like me). My dad always reloaded but I just never got into it. Have some stuff laying around and am going to start looking into what else I need to get started up. One positive is I have always saved brass even though I do not reload...so have 1000s to work with. Guess I will start seperating headstamps.

Anywho, I would check prices everyday and search around. Some good deals still out there. Budget accordingly, etc.
That’s good to keep your brass. I do the same with some of my pistol calibers that I have never reloaded for. I have the dies and components but I keep those things for just in case. I realized recently that I need to get a second press that I can travel with and use clamps in case something happens and I don’t have time to move my bench.

Prices may drop but not much. Once the manufacturers raise their prices and see that people will buy their product, there really isn't much incentives to lower them. I don't remember ever seeing a huge price drop.
Add to that, demand is not going away anytime soon, and with Trump becoming more unpopular with his handling of Covid-19 and the seats in Congress that are up for grabs in November, I would not even venture a guess. Just keep buying ammo and reloading components as you can afford them,

Just noticed that on ammoman the 7.62x39 has dropped today from $295 for 1000 Tula to $275. Also, last week it was taking an hour or so at the most to watch the inventory to drop from in the 30s to zero, but today it’s barely moving. Hopefully that means that most people have stocked up all that they plan to so when buying slows down maybe prices will drop sooner than we expected.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
From what I'm seeing, this is not nearly as bad as Sandy Hook. Yeah prices jumped but I'm still finding deals online for common calibers. Now primers are a different story. I can't remember which crisis it was before where we had a massive prime shortage. Was it the Obama re-election? Anyways, it'll take a minute for that shit to come back online, but this is like the third or fourth major "rush" in the last ten years. The manufacturers have the playbook to resupply the market.

From what I'm seeing, this is not nearly as bad as Sandy Hook. Yeah prices jumped but I'm still finding deals online for common calibers. Now primers are a different story. I can't remember which crisis it was before where we had a massive prime shortage. Was it the Obama re-election? Anyways, it'll take a minute for that shit to come back online, but this is like the third or fourth major "rush" in the last ten years. The manufacturers have the playbook to resupply the market.
I think the primer shortage was in ‘08 when he was first elected. I was even going to the local Gander Mountain every delivery day at opening to see if they got anything. When they did get something it was a limit of ten boxes from what I remember. But you’re right, I don’t think this is as bad.

Reactions: Edgecrusher