• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo storage solutions

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Hey all,
How do you all store your bulk ammo? I currently have my pistol and rimfire in ammo cans, .22lr (2x), .22mag, 9mm (2x), .38/.357, and .45acp. I also store .223 and 5.56 in ammo cans so I have 9 ammo cans currently. I have random boxes of ammo stuffed into all sorts of places and a pile of 7-8 boxes of 12g bird shot and a few boxes of buckshot stacked next to my safe.

I currently have all my ammo in boxes inside of the cans so I can grab a few boxes and hit the range. It doesn’t seem to be working out well. If I continue on the same path Ill end up with a ton of ammo cans, and I could absolutely see how having 45 ammo cans full of shit would get old.
Does everyone else use ammo cans? Or is there some other solution I’m not thinking of? I’ve been thinking about building a rack or shelf unit out of 2x4 and 3/4” plywood. Anybody done anything similar?

I keep them in the original shipping boxes and pull what I need for the range visit. They are stacked in the closet. Once a box starts to get empty, I'll consolidate a few together.

This also works out in case I need to sell something. It's boxed up with a hazard label ready to go.

Hey all,
How do you all store your bulk ammo? I currently have my pistol and rimfire in ammo cans, .22lr (2x), .22mag, 9mm (2x), .38/.357, and .45acp. I also store .223 and 5.56 in ammo cans so I have 9 ammo cans currently. I have random boxes of ammo stuffed into all sorts of places and a pile of 7-8 boxes of 12g bird shot and a few boxes of buckshot stacked next to my safe.

I currently have all my ammo in boxes inside of the cans so I can grab a few boxes and hit the range. It doesn’t seem to be working out well. If I continue on the same path Ill end up with a ton of ammo cans, and I could absolutely see how having 45 ammo cans full of shit would get old.
Does everyone else use ammo cans? Or is there some other solution I’m not thinking of? I’ve been thinking about building a rack or shelf unit out of 2x4 and 3/4” plywood. Anybody done anything similar?
Is this still available?

In all seriousness though, it's tough to beat ammo cans. Stacks in well, you can throw them around, they can get wet, if the seals are good they can really get wet, a kid can carry one or two up the stairs and into the car, etc.
I have a few of the mtm ammo can trays that make stacking sets of three or 4 very compact. I'm planning on buying a cheap harbor freight hand truck to put the stacks on and run a rod through the holes on the end so I could quickly load and transport the whole stack if needed.
I have a friend who had a milwaukee loadout system full of mags, ammo, etc that would also work, and be a little less conspicuous if you're in an urban area, or want to avoid the "hey, you wanna sell some of your ammo" if you're rural.

Depending on how much you use at a range trip, and how often you go, there are easier, or cheaper, or more expensive and better options as well. It's nothing to go through 2500 rounds on a quick family outing for my family. For some, 3 full mags in a belt may be over doing it.

The only thing I'd ever recommend for ammo storage would be an ammo can.
And forget that plastic junk, there's a pretty good reason the military the world over uses steel cans.

To save room you can break the ammo into baggies, make sure you date the outside of the box and whats in the can,also save the LOT# from the box.
The days of finding cheap ammo cans are gone for awhile.
You could look at government auctions and buy a pallet of them cheap.
Or
You could try this guy and he is pretty reasonable

Don't forget the silica
These guys have tons of stuff to choose from.

The only thing I'd ever recommend for ammo storage would be an ammo can.
And forget that plastic junk, there's a pretty good reason the military the world over uses steel cans.

To save room you can break the ammo into baggies, make sure you date the outside of the box and whats in the can,also save the LOT# from the box.
The days of finding cheap ammo cans are gone for awhile.
You could look at government auctions and buy a pallet of them cheap.
Or
You could try this guy and he is pretty reasonable

Don't forget the silica
These guys have tons of stuff to choose from.

I use clean ammo cans all the time. Never disappointed. Cans r in Great shape.

Reactions: Ravenworks
You may be over thinking things. I have ammo from pre WW2 that was stored in ammo cans in who knows what conditions? All of my reloading supplies and factory ammo is currently in a room that is in a controlled environment. Humidity between 45 and 50% temp between 65 and 80 deg.

You may be over thinking things. I have ammo from pre WW2 that was stored in ammo cans in who knows what conditions? All of my reloading supplies and factory ammo is currently in a room that is in a controlled environment. Humidity between 45 and 50% temp between 65 and 80 deg.
He's not over thinking it at all, it's simple.

I like surplus ammo cans. But I find them to be too small for the way I collect and store ammo as a civilian. Heavy duty 5 gallon plastic storage bins work best for me. I can fill them up and they are still easy to move one by one. As long as the ammo is stored in a dry, climate controlled area, this should work fine. When I need ammo for the range, I pull out what I need for the range bag.

If I get a case of ammo in the original cardboard box, I keep it as is. The few loose boxes I keep on a shelf and keep them organized like you see at a store. As far as ammo cans go, I prefer 30 cal cans since they are lighter when full. I'm not too concerned about environmental conditions myself.