• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ammunition question

Scout140

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
Ok I have .308 and because of certain circumstances can't reload (lack of equipment and place to reload) which means I have to resort to factory loaded ammunition. This rifle will be used for precision shooting and mid to long range hunting. I want to only use one load in this rifle, so I need an ammunition that has match grade performance and with good hunting quality. I've looked at the Hornady A-max but I wanted to know if anybody had any had any good input on this.

Re: Ammunition question

What are you looking to hunt with it. If your target animal is a prarie dog it doesnt really mater what ammo you shoot it with. Now if your shooting elk or other large game your ammo choice will make a diffrence. Why is it that you only want to have one type of ammo. Your best bet is to use two diffrent type of ammo or more depending on your intended use.

Agree with lam. Hard to find a "gold plated silver bullet". The design objective for the bullet in each scenario you desribe is at different points on the ballistic spectrum. Two different types of ammunition may be the only solution. This may require different zeros for your sighting system, but this is a minor problem.

An alternative solution is to buy 2 rifles.

Good luck

Get some match 175's from any of the following: Cooper Creek, Southwest Ammo, Black Hills, or Federal.

If you don't like that have Cooper Creek or Chad from Dallas Reloads build you up something for your rifle.

Scout140,

Several questions:
What ammo are you shooting now for your "precision"?
What distance will you be shooting "precision"?
What is the range of your "mid to long range hunting"?
What are you going to be hunting?

Since you say you don't reload, here is a possible solution. I find very comparable performance with FGMM 168 and Federal Premium (P308C) which is loaded with Sierra 165gr Sierra GameKing BTSP. The two rounds are ballistically very close for distance engagement. Accuracy (for me) is within a .1 MOA. This is my whitetail deer round. I was given 100 rounds several years ago, and don't bother reloading for hunting.

Kevin

Such shortcuts, while highly desirable, do not exist. If they did, they would be so popular and obvious that such questions need not be asked.

You may want to do some research on Hornady's AMAX bullets.

Hornady has been inconsistent with their view of its use as a hunting bullet. The AMAX is known to be a respectable target bullet, but is also marked as usable on 'light skinned game' depending on which edition of their reloading manual you check. This inconsistency in the published material, added to the fact that most agree match bullets should not be used for hunting makes discussing the AMAX an often heated topic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This inconsistency in the published material, added to the fact that most agree match bullets should not be used for hunting makes discussing the AMAX an often heated <span style="text-decoration: line-through">topic</span> epic.
</div></div>

There, fixed it...

Although my answer may not be what you want to hear, I'm not sidestepping your question. Your question is valid, and many people have tried to find the answer.

If there were one bullet to do just about everything, it would put all the other bullet manufacturers in a very difficult position as their sales would take a horrible hit.

Even with hunting bullets, there are bullets for different types of game.
With match bullets, there are bullets that need to be jammed into the lands, and other bullets that need to jump to the lands for best accuracy.

I think the closest you will get is to find a bullet like the AMAX that will work for thin skinned, smallish game like small deer, two legged varmints, coyotes and so on, and other bullets for elk that require deeper penetration.

For most medium to large game, a bullet that holds together and penetrates well is best.

For accuracy, each rifle has it's own preference, but usually the well known ammo makers offerings will do quite well.