• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMP annealer , now self calibrating !

Clearlight

Minuteman
Jul 23, 2014
Brisbane Australia
Just saw a vid released on FB from the AMP guys in NZ : with appropriate
software upgrade via the USB port , the AMP annealer can now calibrate
itself to your brass !

You simply update the software , place a pice of your selected brass in the
machine using the correct pilot , and the AMP annealer heats and tests
the brass itself ! That one test piece gets overheated in the process and
sacrificed , but a small price to pay for a self calibrating annealing machine .

AMP said it was just a software upgrade so older models will be able to use the feature.

The case feeder attachment looked cool but with all of the upgrades the unit would run $1600-$1700

I think they’re charging $200 for the update.

Man, I sure hope you're mistaken. I just bought mine a month ago. I'd be pretty disappointed if they charged for the update.

Looks like they are going to charge for the update but you'd be paying more for the option on a brand new one anyway. It's an option, not standard.

$ 200 for self calibrating function is a bargain to me . Guess it comes
down to what price you put on accuracy ? Those that feel the extra bux
are too much can just use the settings guide on the AMP website , unless
you are running some unheard of exotic wildcat .

Brass hardness does not need to be controlled to the nth-fucking-degree to get consistent bullet release unless you're looking to win some insane benchrest accuracy contest.

It's only money but......seriously folks, this is a minute part of the equation.

It’s $250 for the firmware update as announced on the AMP facebook page. I still think its worth it. Can upgrade to any existing machine except if it was one of the first 49 sold.

I have an AMP and I love it. It has always made me a little weary how accurate the anneal setting is for my brass. I see different lot numbers of the same manufacturer brass on the website have different annealing times. That says to me that every lot of brass could be different. With this new firmware upgrade, the guessing and hoping is taken out of the equation because you get a custom program to that specific batch of brass.

Interesting. Any idea how they accomplish this with a firmware update? Been meaning to order one (using a buddy's right now), and this may actually get me off the fence...

^^^ Kiwi science voodoo ... I’m guessing they’ve collated
enough data to use the device’s on board sensors , to self
calibrate . Just speculation though .

Reactions: MarinePMI
The end result of all this is supposed to be consistent metal hardness in the neck/shoulder region. I seriously doubt that can be achieved without direct contact hardness measurement.

What I'm saying is that I am very skeptical of this "self calibration" without actually placing a piece of brass on a hardness tester to check it.

I've been in manufacturing engineering for long enough to not swallow everything that comes down the gun forum pike as truth. You guys are taking these people at their word and are ready to fork out even more money over and above their overpriced product, without any shred of technical explanation.

Go for it, I'll be watching from the sidelines.

LOL!
1516799909446.png

Excuse me for not falling for hype I know to be bullshit.

Kinda reminds me of all the gun forum idiocy surrounding nitriding. Everybody and their fucking brother was an expert all of a sudden on this magic "coating" which isn't a coating at all.

Carry on, it's your money.

Yeah I'm with 308P on this one... struggling to comprehend what kind of "on-board sensors" the annealer utilizes to detect when the brass has been appropriately annealed lol. Is it actively measuring some property of the brass case itself??

If there is some non-contact hardness measurement system out there, I would have heard about it by now.

OK now I’m definitely getting the upgrade . I can easily back to
back test some cases , same cal same batch and do a few with
the recommended setting , and then do a few after ‘ self calibration ‘ .
I’ll give a couple of each to the local LMA guys , and to the shop that
used to nitride my crankshafts , and see what they say .

Just contacted some guys at Shot , who had a chat with the
AMP guys . They are going to make a video explaining how
it works , when they get back from SS . Should be entertaining
and enlightening ....

If there is some non-contact hardness measurement system out there, I would have heard about it by now.
If your so smart you should know there are ways to get data/information indirectly. It could be something as simple as something in the machine that records the temperature and how fast it takes it to get to a specific temp. They could have tested this at the shop by using the micro Vickers test equipment and made inference from how fast it heats up and what hardness that relates to.

We were clibrating our touches using paint or just staring at the brass in the dark forever, so why is it so hard to believe there might be some way they can calibrate a 1000 machine using some sensors already in it.

I agree that it is probably more accurate to send it to there shop and test it that way but this might be better than using the existing settings and like you said brass hardness doesn’t need to be to the nth degree so this may just get you close enough if the existing setting is off quite a bit for your brass.

Don’t understand why people love to slam other people for wanting to do something more precisely. Does it always help? Probably not but this is fun for some people and they like to do it. Maybe weighting powder to the kernel doesn’t increase accuracy or chamfering flash holes or paying 200 dollars for a self calibrating anneler but like I said some people like to do it.