• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMP Press now in stock!!

Thank you. I think this press is way to interesting to not own.

once supplies come back it will keep me busy.

Reactions: Rhed
This press is for masochists……

Definitely will show you how consistent or not things are. This is fired hornady 6gt, not cleaned, not annealed, not neck turned. This is “acceptable” IMO. But I’d like to see better.

B57F093D-4D94-4354-ADCB-6753FC95B360.jpeg

Reactions: RMS6 and Rhed
Yup, those Wilson/Sinclair dies are best inline seaters I've found.

Would like to see a comparison of how the ammo shoots in terms of SD and ES when sorted by what the graph puts out. This is one of the most intriguing pieces of reloading gear that has come out in a while. The want is really high with this thing!

So, just messing around, I did 10 each:

Lapua 6br virgin - mandrel/chamfer

Hornady 6gt virgin - mandrel/chamfer

Hornady 6gt virgin - IDOD neck turned to .009 wall/sized down/mandrel/chamfer

All three had a Peak Force ES of 10/11. The Hornady non turned was 49-60lbs. The turned Hornady and lapua 6br were down in the 30-40lb area.

The interesting part:

Lapua Total work = 851lb ES
Hornady non turned = 795lb ES
Hornady turned = 696 ES

The lapua and non turned Hornady had graphs that were linear ish with increasing force until seated. The turned Hornady however show a “wavy” graph. Even though it exhibited more consistent Total Work used.

So, now we move onto live fire. See if there is correlation to the Total Force used. People have been separating by Peak Force for years with hydro presses and such. Results have been inconclusive if sorting by Peak Force works.

My theory is the less Total Force used, the better release the bullet will have. Will that show up on chrono and paper? We’ll see.

Reactions: buggz
So, now we move onto live fire. See if there is correlation to the Total Force used. People have been separating by Peak Force for years with hydro presses and such. Results have been inconclusive if sorting by Peak Force works.
thank you for your service….

This reminds me of what I tell people all the time:

Do you know why I hit myself on the head with a hammer?

Because it feels so good when i stop...

If you have the right mindset, it’s a good tool.

If you’re the type who will get paralyzed when something doesn’t “look” like you expected, just send AMP $1400 and tell them to keep the press. It’s cheaper.

I’m seeing a lot of things that validate what I though prior. I’m also seeing things that aren’t as clean cut as I thought.

Maybe I missed it, but what was his linear neck tension measurement? 0,001”, 0.002”, 0.003”?

It might have an effect on the initial spike measurement.

Interesting that you're not getting the initial spikes like in the video.

Initial spikes are *likely* due to chamfer aggressiveness (or lack of chamfer).

Have to really visualize what’s going on with bullet and neck during the graph.

Bullet has to overcome the initial resistance of the top of neck.

After, as the bullet is progressing in the neck, it has less and less resistance “beneath” the bullet as since they neck is smaller under the bearing surface than it is on the surface.

Once bearing surface starts passing wherever the neck sizing stopped, pressure will decrease (if you get to that point before achieving desired seating depth).

Initial spikes are *likely* due to chamfer aggressiveness (or lack of chamfer).

Have to really visualize what’s going on with bullet and neck during the graph.

Bullet has to overcome the initial resistance of the top of neck.

After, as the bullet is progressing in the neck, it has less and less resistance “beneath” the bullet as since they neck is smaller under the bearing surface than it is on the surface.

Once bearing surface starts passing wherever the neck sizing stopped, pressure will decrease (if you get to that point before achieving desired seating depth).

When I watched the video, I wondered if he had chamfered the case mouth or not. I don't recall him mentioning it.

There's a big difference in feel with the RCBS type tool vs a VLD chamfer.
In fact, I've got a long, tapered reamer I used to use until it just became too much for my hands.

The long reamer gave the smoothest seating feel.
The biggest issue was controlling the depth of the chamfer.

In Cortina’s video with the Finley’s they talk about the importance of consistent trim length and chamfer. If all of your cases are the same you will see the force line begin at the exact same distance mark for each case…if you see variability here that should direct you to your trimming and chamfering processes. (Bullet variation will also show here but as long as your using quality components I plan to ignore that factor)

Mine should be arriving on Tuesday and I can’t wait.

In Cortina’s video with the Finley’s they talk about the importance of consistent trim length and chamfer. If all of your cases are the same you will see the force line begin at the exact same distance mark for each case…if you see variability here that should direct you to your trimming and chamfering processes. (Bullet variation will also show here but as long as your using quality components I plan to ignore that factor)

Mine should be arriving on Tuesday and I can’t wait.

Yea, it’s all about realistic expectations. I’m within .002 variance on trimmed cases with Henderson trimmer (verified via caliper). And I see up to .004 or so difference in the start point on the graph if I zoom in.

I’m *assuming* that’s due to length of chamfer and bullet variation. I have 21st century trimming attachment arriving next week. Will see if that is more consistent (I’m not worried about this slight variation on the graph. Just testing)

When I watched the video, I wondered if he had chamfered the case mouth or not. I don't recall him mentioning it.

There's a big difference in feel with the RCBS type tool vs a VLD chamfer.
In fact, I've got a long, tapered reamer I used to use until it just became too much for my hands.

The long reamer gave the smoothest seating feel.
The biggest issue was controlling the depth of the chamfer.
I'll second this, it was a noticeable change in feel even on a Dillon 550 when seating.
I have an original RCBS Trim Mate case prep center. Replacing the 45 degree chamfer toolhead with their VLD tool made a huge difference.

I notice, you are moving the die when the ram is still moving.
I wonder if you should wait until all ram movement is completed?

The cycle is complete on the down stroke. The up is his returning the ram.

Won’t hurt it.

Here is what I would like to see if it is possible, load a bunch of dummy rounds with the primer pocked drilled out.
Record each individual rounds seating data then using the press with the round upside down press the bullet out with a rod through the primer
pocket to record the variation of the bullet being pressed out.

You can also leave a few sit for a month then press them out and see if the bullets welded to the case.

Reactions: buggz and parshal
Here is what I would like to see if it is possible, load a bunch of dummy rounds with the primer pocked drilled out.
Wouldn't that itself change the bullet seating dynamics, by allowing the compression force build up in the case to disappear?

I do understand your test though, would be neat to see.

Wouldn't that itself change the bullet seating dynamics, by allowing the compression force build up in the case to disappear?

I do understand your test though, would be neat to see.
Not sure I understand your question but if you mean air compression, I doubt it would matter.
I simply would like to see what the load variance is getting the bullet moving in the case.

I’m finding things quite interesting with my press. Things you think are very consistent (same careful process piece to piece of brass) end up looking like a seismograph.

Will he range testing more to confirm, but stumbling upon some processes that are very consistent (and much less work than you’d think).

FC081856-D023-4914-8AA8-E8F39363B008.jpeg

Reactions: MCHOG