• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMP really worth the extra $$$$$$

Ruslow

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
Wife got a new car so now if I wish I can buy an AMP annealler, but to be honest she needed the car and it is a basic for a nowdays car. And for me is the AMP worth the extra $$? I can buy just about any other annealler for 1/3 the amount. HONEST input is needed for this purchase. Thanks STAn

Cortina has a youtube video out on it. Seriously most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I've always flame annealed and I can guarantee you it does make a difference. Not annealing is not an option, and really a lot of people can't justify spending $1500 on an amp. Could I afford it? Yes, but I can't justify it.

AMP annealer is a one-time expense. It removes uncertainty and/or messing with Tempilaq associated with flame annealing. Mine sits there until I need it; I flip the cover off, turn it on, screw in the right pilot, and go. Biggest aggravation? Well, after ~30 cases, the cooling system kicks into high fan speed and I find the noise annoying.

Also, Alex Findlay & his crew at AMP are great to deal with. Ask a question, get an answer Right Now. Well, very quickly.

I've had mine a bit over three years now. Absolutely no regrets.

I understand Larryh128's position, though. I'm sure that I would be very happy with an autotrickler to cut my powder-charging time by half to two-thirds... but I just can't make myself pull the trigger on one. Perhaps if I didn't have to wait weeks or months after ordering...

AMP annealer is a one-time expense. It removes uncertainty and/or messing with Tempilaq associated with flame annealing. Mine sits there until I need it; I flip the cover off, turn it on, screw in the right pilot, and go. Biggest aggravation? Well, after ~30 cases, the cooling system kicks into high fan speed and I find the noise annoying.

Also, Alex Findlay & his crew at AMP are great to deal with. Ask a question, get an answer Right Now. Well, very quickly.

I've had mine a bit over three years now. Absolutely no regrets.

I understand Larryh128's position, though. I'm sure that I would be very happy with an autotrickler to cut my powder-charging time by half to two-thirds... but I just can't make myself pull the trigger on one. Perhaps if I didn't have to wait weeks or months after ordering...
Great assessment. I admit ... it's a "luxury" item that you should get only if you can afford it. I put it in the same category as my Toto Washlet ... that turns the "daily dirty deed" into a warm, wet, wonderful, sanitary experience. If either my AMP or my Washlet broke and it took sacrifices to replace them, I'd make that sacrifice. Can I anneal with a propane tank? Sure. Can I wipe my ass with a wad of paper? Of course. But if I can afford to avoid either of those, I will.

Im another vote in the get the AMP if you wont miss the extra money camp

I had the giraud before it and best i could tell it did the job

but the ease of use and no hassle/no doubt consistency of the AMP without having to fiddle w/ flames/nozzles/timing during setup for various case sizes is nice...if you shoot a lot of different size calibers and brass types (i do/did), untwist the bushing, insert the correct one, push a couple of buttons, and ready to go

i thought i would miss the case feeder with the giraud, but that ended up not bothering me at all

i bought mine when i was shooting competition heavy, reloading 5-10k precision rifle rounds a year...ive probably shot less than 100 rounds in the last 3 yrs combined, and selling the AMP has never even crossed my mind. Havent missed the money once

Last edited:
Simple answer is if you are truly an avid shooter....

Yes

If you don't have another piece of equipment you need more or could use an upgrade more, then yes, IMO, it's worth it. As many have said, even if you aren't on board with all their reasons or such behind their method, the ease of use alone is worth it.

I currently use the ugly annealer and am happy enough with it but it’s the only piece where I’ve not upgraded. I’ll be buying the amp eventually. The torch will do the same job but at the cost of time to set up and patience.

I have an Annie induction annealer and while I have not used an Amp, I can see where there might be some improvements.

That said, the Annie does what I need it to do.

Buy it, if you don't like it, then sell it. They usually go really fast. It's by far the most expensive piece of reloading equipment I own, and didn't even think about any other annealer. I love mine. I have let other friends us it and they think it's worth it also.

Speaking for those of us that love our AMP's, I think the main advantages are (a) simplicity of setup and use, and (b) consistency of results. In competition, consistency and predictability are "everything", and that is where the AMP shines. If I use Aztec #145 on a piece of brass today, I know that same setting will provide exactly the same result when I do it a year from now. The "predictability" is why we love our AMP's.

Speaking for those of us that love our AMP's, I think the main advantages are (a) simplicity of setup and use, and (b) consistency of results. In competition, consistency and predictability are "everything", and that is where the AMP shines. If I use Aztec #145 on a piece of brass today, I know that same setting will provide exactly the same result when I do it a year from now. The "predictability" is why we love our AMP's.
Good insight, now you have me thinking of ditching TP. LOL

Reactions: rustyinbend
If you load even a medium amount then the AMP is just huge. I'd definitely get it. I'd get the MATE too. I did over 300 pcs yesterday while I was showing my boys about sizing and all that. It just clicks right along and it's perfectly annealed brass every time. I tried to upload a short video of mine with the mate running but couldn't get it to work. It's SO MUCH BETTER.

If you load even a medium amount then the AMP is just huge. I'd definitely get it. I'd get the MATE too. I did over 300 pcs yesterday while I was showing my boys about sizing and all that. It just clicks right along and it's perfectly annealed brass every time. I tried to upload a short video of mine with the mate running but couldn't get it to work. It's SO MUCH BETTER.
Love my AMP Annealer and "really" love my AMP Press ... but haven't been able to justify the AMP Mate (yet). I typically do 50-100 cases at a time, spread a week or two apart, and consisting of several different calibers. That's just not a profile that justifies the cost, effort, and time to setup that comes along with the AMP Mate. That said, I'm a "gadget guy" and might decide I can't live without it one of these days.

"The Predictability" of absolute consistency from case to case is uncontested....Consistency is achieved by a digital timing circuit....

But, I can't help but wonder how the device chose "Aztec #145" as the heat/timing code.... There's little info on how it achieves this parameter.... If someone can explain it to me, I'd appreciate it... Otherwise, I'd just have to take AMP's word for it that it "works"....

I can convince myself of the same level of confidence by merely adjusting my flame tip from my torch, to the same distance from my case neck each time and relying on my digital circuit to eject each case from the flame at exactly the same instant in time...

I don't shoot enough to warrant an AMP.... They do intrigue me.... Just always wonder how they achieve the Aztec code.....

I did some testing, albeit they were small sample sizes, between an Annealeze, Bench Source and AMP and could not see any difference on the target or numbers, i.e. ES or SD, between the samples.

Convenience comes at a cost. The AMP is expensive, easy to set up but is a single feed device. If doing relatively small batches it’s a non-issue. If doing large volumes of brass, the Bench Source, while still manually fed, does a great job and will be a time saver. The Annealeez or Ugly Annealer are a decent entry level annealers for those looking for a cost effective means of getting started.

money for me is always an issue not enough. But being raised by parents who went thru the depression and was instilled in that form of thinking. We pretty much pay cash for anything except for house and land.And amount that I own on thoses can be paid off very easyly. The problem I have is yes I shoot alot and do compete, just average at best [my relaxation] but with the price differences of all the machines I have looked at, can I justify that amount. I read in this post alot of pro AMPers but not many others would love to hear from them also. and WHY you chose the machine you use cost,readily avail,etc .? thanks STan

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Love my AMP Annealer and "really" love my AMP Press ... but haven't been able to justify the AMP Mate (yet). I typically do 50-100 cases at a time, spread a week or two apart, and consisting of several different calibers. That's just not a profile that justifies the cost, effort, and time to setup that comes along with the AMP Mate. That said, I'm a "gadget guy" and might decide I can't live without it one of these days.
It's super easy to set up. I mean really east and I'd bet you'd do more if you had the amp mate just because you can be there while it's running along and be sizing something else or whatever.

That said, I'm kind of focused on time saving more than probably moat are. The amp mate can be used with the giraud trimmer too but I haven't gone down that road yet.

I did some testing, albeit they were small sample sizes, between an Annealeze, Bench Source and AMP and could not see any difference on the target or numbers, i.e. ES or SD, between the samples.

Convenience comes at a cost. The AMP is expensive, easy to set up but is a single feed device. If doing relatively small batches it’s a non-issue. If doing large volumes of brass, the Bench Source, while still manually fed, does a great job and will be a time saver. The Annealeez or Ugly Annealer are a decent entry level annealers for those looking for a cost effective means of getting started.
The AMP and Mate with a dillon case feeder let's you do a whole bunch at one time without your involvement though, so if budget allows there's not really anything else that compares , even if you take the repeatability factor out of the equation.

For the love of Jehovah, do we need another "Is the AMP worth it?" post?

Yes it's worth it.
No it's not.

If you have to ask, $1500 probably stretches your coin a bit too thin, and you should burn them in a flame.
If $1500 is nothing to you, why ask?

I run a dual torch bench source. Anneals a case every 4 seconds. I stand there and hand feed them. I shoot fclass with a teammate who uses an AMP with the AMP mate.

Sometimes I out shoot him. Sometimes he outshoots me. We’re both great shooters and score well. My last relay I shot was a 198/200 on the 1,000 yard line

For me the main draw is the speed and convenience of the AMP. For mine I test every batch with tempilaq. Hand feed it and hope the propane doesn’t run out

I’ve shot annealed vs not annealed (another debate) and found my annealing time is definitely worth it. But I haven’t seen that going from annealing with a bench source vs an AMP on target or in the chrono

The biggest things is that your getting the correct temp to anneal (yes I watched cortina’s video) and that your process is consistent

The shop I shoot for has literally top of the line and automated everything. The AMP, automated Dillon’s, the bullet seater that measures pressures and prints it out on a computer chart for you. Autotrickler V3. Several chronos with garmin being the latest. . Bullets sorted etc etc. The works

If you’re shooting comps or have the money then by all means go for it. But make sure it’s based more on consistency and convenience vs accuracy.

The rifles, barrels and components of today vs even 20 years ago have come so far that it now cost big $$ to chase a little bit of accuracy. Where years ago a .5 moa gun was something to aww at. Now an off the shelf savage will print those groups. 1/2 moa accuracy is a realistic goal for most and can be loaded with basic reloading equipment thanks to todays barrels, dies and components

Ask yourself what other upgrades you could benefit from first. Then decide. If you’re shooting through a factory barrel that would be my first upgrade recommendation for anyone. Followed by great components then great dies.

If this is a once in a lifetime type purchase and you have everything else squared away then go for it. You won’t regret it. Just make sure you shouldn’t be investing the $1500 somewhere else in your setup first

Edit: Before all the fancy stuff we used an Annealez with single flame. Like 7 seconds on the torch if I remember correctly. Scores were great then as well. Better now overall but that’s not due to annealing. More experience related than anything. Two teammates have shot 1000 yard cleans. 200/200. The 10 ring is 1 moa for reference. That was before the AMP came along

Last edited:
^I have AMP, but you don't really need tempilaq for flame. just turn out hte lights and set it so as soon as they glow, the drop out of the flame. I can all but guarantee that for most purposes you will get almost the same results. and you will NOT overhead the case body with this method, so you don't need either 750 or 350 degree tempilaq like I used to painstakingly do.

simple - yes . had all the flame ones - go amp

The AMP is my choice.

I don't mind the one at a time method as I run brass through it after every return from the range. Typically, that's 50 rounds or less.

I love the convenience of simply turning it on and push a few buttons and ready to go. Switching cartridges, lots or headstamps is just as fast.

The real determining factor is the patented Aztec feature and the code it produces. No guess work.

Pricey yes, can't put a price on a good time some say.

In the market for an annealer. Still have a lot to learn.
Understand all the AMP love being a AMP thread. Little surprised no one’s mentioned the Quick Anneal. I’d thought I’d read the Quick Anneal was giving AMP for its money.

In the market for an annealer. Still have a lot to learn.
Understand all the AMP love being a AMP thread. Little surprised no one’s mentioned the Quick Anneal. I’d thought I’d read the Quick Anneal was giving AMP for its money.
Who?

Lol

Reactions: MTRecon
QA is $1000
Unproven company & machine
Guesswork settings like a flame
induction fast
Automatic case drop fast
Automation w case feed possible tho I have seen no videos of a full automated setup working through a large batch of cases with no user assistance

Reactions: mrtoyz
All the benefits people report getting with the $1500 AMP, I get with a drill that was a B-day present, and a $17 map pro bottle from ACE. I can knock out a couple hundred cases with not much strain. Don't have to sit in the dark, can see the anneal line form just under the shoulder in the light. Seating force maintains consistent, and I pin my seating depths CBTO by .0005 either way. I certainly can't shoot the difference of .0005 seating depth variance.

I guess I could add up the cost of map pro bottles to casings and see if over the years the AMP would balance out. :ROFLMAO: Then again, I think I can still throttle through the annealing process faster with my technique.
IMG_2351.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JM4590 and Capt45
All the benefits people report getting with the $1500 AMP, I get with a drill that was a B-day present, and a $17 map pro bottle from ACE. I can knock out a couple hundred cases with not much strain. Don't have to sit in the dark, can see the anneal line form just under the shoulder in the light. Seating force maintains consistent, and I pin my seating depths CBTO by .0005 either way. I certainly can't shoot the difference of .0005 seating depth variance.

I guess I could add up the cost of map pro bottles to casings and see if over the years the AMP would balance out. :ROFLMAO: Then again, I think I can still throttle through the annealing process faster with my technique.
MacGyver would be proud of that setup ... all it's missing is the bailing twine and bubble gum.

Amp mate is more convience than workflow increase. I can run the amp faster with 2 shell holders than the mate. What u can't do is dump 300 cases into a hopper and walk away, come back and have a pile of annealed brass. The mate is also super finicky and does not like dirty brass. I decided it's not worth it imo.

Last edited:
^I have AMP, but you don't really need tempilaq for flame. just turn out hte lights and set it so as soon as they glow, the drop out of the flame. I can all but guarantee that for most purposes you will get almost the same results. and you will NOT overhead the case body with this method, so you don't need either 750 or 350 degree tempilaq like I used to painstakingly do.
This is the kind of ignorance that perpetuates annealing threads. And exactly why if you aren't using an AMP you are wasting your time and money. That is unless you have access to a metallurgy lab and can do all your own testing, which will cost way more in time and materials than buying an AMP in the first place. You can pickup a Rockwell tester for like $2500 used, almost twice what an amp would cost.

Template, color when it's dark, ect are not repeatable methods of annealing and unless you are testing the brass ( like AMP guys did when they dialed in the programing) you don't know shit.

Its a Placebo . Why people who know what they are talking about will tell you to buy an AMP or don't bother annealing at all. False confidence is strait up Dunning-Kruger.

Amo mate is more convience than workforce. I can run the amp faster with 2 shell holders than the mate. What u can't do is dump 300 cases into a hopper and walk away, come back and have a pile of annealed brass. The mate is also super finicky and does not like dirty brass. I decided it's not worth it imo.
I may be confused as to what you're saying but I just did Dumont 300+ pcs of brass in my feeder and hit start and it did them all. I did have one interruption at #147 and I'm not sure why but hit start and away it went and did the rest of the 320 ish pcs and I had a bowl of annealed brass. I think the mate is one of the major attractions of the amp, imo

I may be confused as to what you're saying but I just did Dumont 300+ pcs of brass in my feeder and hit start and it did them all. I did have one interruption at #147 and I'm not sure why but hit start and away it went and did the rest of the 320 ish pcs and I had a bowl of annealed brass. I think the mate is one of the major attractions of the amp, imo
My buddy who is on the hide let me try his out. His jammed every 5 or 6 rounds and it took forever to do a few hundred cases. You have to dial in every time you change calibers. ALOT of people have sold off their mates due to frustration in getting them setup. They are not plug and play and you really aren't saving any time unless you are doing something else. Mate + case feeder+ plate+ stand is like $1k. Better spent on something like a henderson or a dillion 750 to speed up reloading imo.

Reactions: FNG1001
This is the kind of ignorance that perpetuates annealing threads. And exactly why if you aren't using an AMP you are wasting your time and money. That is unless you have access to a metallurgy lab and can do all your own testing, which will cost way more in time and materials than buying an AMP in the first place. You can pickup a Rockwell tester for like $2500 used, almost twice what an amp would cost.

Template, color when it's dark, ect are not repeatable methods of annealing and unless you are testing the brass ( like AMP guys did when they dialed in the programing) you don't know shit.

Its a Placebo . Why people who know what they are talking about will tell you to buy an AMP or don't bother annealing at all. False confidence is strait up Dunning-Kruger.
This is why there is an ignore button which I shall now avail myself of

My buddy who is on the hide let me try his out. His jammed every 5 or 6 rounds and it took forever to do a few hundred cases. You have to dial in every time you change calibers. ALOT of people have sold off their mates due to frustration in getting them setup. They are not plug and play and you really aren't saving any time unless you are doing something else. Mate + case feeder+ plate+ stand is like $1k. Better spent on something like a henderson or a dillion 750 to speed up reloading imo.
I've not had that experience with my amp mate. It's very easy to dial in the tube or height for the case so, I think that's kind of a lot of bold statements for someone to make who doesn't even have one. I mean maybe there are a bunch of folks who've had trouble with their amp mate that I'm not aware of but I know several who have them as well and they don't have these issues either so.....

I have a giraud annealer now and it works but the AMP intrigues me and I do feel that if it does do what is said here, I can actually anneal for others who do not have a machine and maybe recoup some of the expense,may have to sell the one I have.thanks for input. STan

I have AMP and have kept my Giraud. I use the latter for the brass that I don't really care about, e.g., gas gun brass, Winchester brass, Hornady brass, 223, 308, bulk 260, etc. Much faster than AMP and I don't really care about the result except brass life extension. I use AMP for Lapua and RWS brass, 338, 375, 50BMG, 7mm

I do think having a regulator setup markedly improves the repeatability of your settings. Set it at say, 20 PSI, 7.2 seconds, and if that's dialed one day it will get the same or close the next. Other reason I won't sell mine is with this regulator and tank and the machine and all the disks including some custom 375 disks, I probably have $750+ invested and I refuse to lose my ass on it when everybody is on the AMP bandwagon
unnamed.jpg

I have a giraud annealer now and it works but the AMP intrigues me and I do feel that if it does do what is said here, I can actually anneal for others who do not have a machine and maybe recoup some of the expense,may have to sell the one I have.thanks for input. STan
I think I'd give up about anything else I have in my reloading room before I'd give up my amp and Mate. You won't regret it. Sometimes they pop up here on the px, though not often and they go super fast when they do. If you watch out you can find one though and get em for more like 1300 ish and get some of the other pilots and stuff along with it for common calibers.

I believe the quick anneal is a great alternative. I have no previous annealing experience and just annealed my first 100 6.5Creed 5x prime cases one hour ago. Very easy to do. I don’t know how to get a video on here but it isn’t really necessary since there are enough videos on YouTube.

IMG_0020.jpeg

IMG_0016.jpeg

That said, the Annie does what I need it to do.

Until it doesn't. I have an Annie sitting on the shelf that had an audible pop one day and then stopped being consistent. I could have sent it in for repairs, but I've seen enough stories about extended return times that I didn't want to wait.

The AMP is expensive, but it's also the annealing easy button.

I made the decision to buy AMP based on setup time and safety.

Doing batches of 50 for close to a dozen different calibers made anything but an AMP a non-starter.

Fooling with an open flame in the basement of my home didn’t seem like a very smart idea.

For me, it was money well spent.

Reactions: patriotnation