AMP ... worth every cent

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2018
Bend, Oregon
Got my "Annealing Made Perfect" yesterday, had it unpacked and analyzing a 6.5 Creedmoor case literally 10 minutes later. Annealed 100 cases of twice-fired brass in about 15 minutes. I had intended to use it after a few firings, but it's so quick and easy that I'm going to work it into the "every fire" standard routine. I wanted to anneal, but hated the whole "Propane Torch" concept. While it's admittedly expensive, this gadget is absolutely terrific ... couldn't be happier with this purchase. Just thought I'd share my experience, for anyone thinking about one of these.

OREGUN

Duff Man says “oh yeah”!
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2014
Evergreen, CO
Just make sure you brush inside the necks before you seat.
I don’t do this. One time, I shot 3, five shot groups with an ES between 8 and 9 across the 15 shots. I thought this was noteworthy and despite being a statistically insignificant sample size, used it as anecdotal evidence that my reloading process had been sufficiently refined for my purposes. What is the neck brushing supposed to accomplish?

Sorry for the thread drift, OP. Glad you like the machine. I anneal every time too.

Edited to address the SH staff concerns about sample size.

Last edited:

CarlM

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
I don’t do this. My ES is single digit. What is the neck brushing supposed to accomplish?

Sorry for the thread drift, OP. Glad you like the machine. I anneal every time too.
The carbon in the neck after annealing can become gritty, causing inconsistent seating. I'm told that if you tumble long enough after sizing this may not be an issue. I like running a bronze brush through mine, it makes seating smoother. Just my 2 cents.

OREGUN

Duff Man says “oh yeah”!
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2014
Evergreen, CO
The carbon in the neck after annealing can become gritty, causing inconsistent seating. I'm told that if you tumble long enough after sizing this may not be an issue. I like running a bronze brush through mine, it makes seating smoother. Just my 2 cents.
I do it all wrong...I DRY tumble (Luddite, I know) and then anneal and finally decap and size in the same stroke. It’s a wonder I can hit anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Joel Danielson

spife7980

Luchador
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
I don’t do this. My ES is single digit. What is the neck brushing supposed to accomplish?

It took my dasher from ~ an 8 to a 6. It’s not much but in 5 shot samples it carrried out over three consecutive weekends for me. I can def feel it though with them seating back to back.

OREGUN

Duff Man says “oh yeah”!
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2014
Evergreen, CO
It took my dasher from ~ an 8 to a 6. It’s not much but in 5 shot samples it carrried out over three consecutive weekends for me. I can def feel it though with them seating back to back.
Well shit. Now I need a bronze brush. And a chronograph.

afv338

anthony
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
pa
the best investments in reloading i made in the last year was a amp and a fx120 and auto throw. very happy with both would not look back or regret. all we need now is supply's to use them.

OREGUN

Duff Man says “oh yeah”!
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2014
Evergreen, CO
I use a nylon. Maybe bronze or copper is better, idk. The nylon were cheap clearance on brownells
I’m mostly joking. I have a setup to nylon brush and, if I feel like it, dry lube the necks. I just never noticed any difference in seating. It’s probably something I should revisit with a better chronograph and now that I’ve got a better annealing/brass setup and tracking process.

I’ve been trying to relax in the reloading room a bit. At some point, for my shooting, an ES of 6 or 8 is just fine. And 12 or 15 probably would be too.

Reactions: NiteQwill

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Supporter
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas

Your ES isn’t a single digit across large sample sizes.

OREGUN

Duff Man says “oh yeah”!
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 29, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    Your ES isn’t a single digit across large sample sizes.
    I’m no statistician but I’ll take your word for it.

Or: I shot a one shot, one hole group with an ES of zero so I packed my shit up and went home

Or: after I apologized for drifting the thread, I left several additional comments that, I thought, made it evident that stressing out over reloading in general, and ES specifically, was no longer of much interest to me.

Or: I thought we established, on at least one other thread, that it was unrealistic for any of us to try to achieve statistical significance in our load testing as very few of us have the time, components, facilities or equipment to do so.

Or: who gives a shit. My point was that I don’t brush out my necks after using my AMP and my accuracy and precision (and on the very rare occasions that I care to measure them, my ES’s) are good enough for the shooting I do. Yet, I keep seeing people talk about using an AMP and including the gospel-truth statement that the case necks must be brushed afterward. I was curious to know why.

There. We good?