• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Analize my ladder test

Racinready300ex

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
You guys probably get this alot, just wondering how you'd proceed after this test.

This was shot at 600 yards, I shot 4 shots then would go mark them.(used marker on bullet to tell the diff) I shot, shots 1-10 1st looked to me like 5-7 and 8-10 were grouping together. The repeated the test and mark the 2nd set of shots with a A next to the number. I didn't pay much attention to the wind, but it was blowing around 10 mph, and in my face most of the time. I would think that could cause vertical and mess with my results. Shot 7 is the only one the jumps out at me like something went wrong with one of those shots.

The load is a 6BR with Lapua brass, CCI BR4's, berger 105 VLD's jammed .015 into lands. Powder is Varget.

1-27.7
2-28.0
3-28.3
4-28.6
5-28.9
6-29.1
7-29.5
8-29.8
9-30.1
10-30.4

I'm thinking 8,9, and 10 is my node. Does that look right? How would you proceed from here?

600ladder.jpg

Re: Analize my ladder test

The only thing I ever analized was my highschool girlfriend. Analyzing is another issue though...

It looks like you have back to back accuracy nodes. 5-6 and 7,8,9 and 10, 7 may have dropped or 7A may have been hot. It may be a transitional range if the barrel is warm. Did you let the barrel cool between shots? That is, unless you KNOW what happened?

I would run two rows of .1 increments from 28.8 to 29.2 and then start again at 29.8 and go up to 30.2. Run the next ladder up on a shorter run if you can if the wind is in your face. Yes, the wind can make bullets go up or down.

If it were me, I would take the lowest shot in the group. Meaning if 29.8 to 30.1 all grouped together, I would make my first batch all 29.8

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I ever analized was my highschool girlfriend. Analyzing is another issue though... </div></div>

ROFLMAO!!
laugh.gif

...and stick it in the "re-loading" section where it belongs.
grin.gif

Thanks for the input. Hopefully the wind will die down some and I can get back out to the range next weekend.

Not sure what happened to shots 7, and 7A. Although I let the gun cool some between shots, it had alot of time to cool every 4th shot. As that's when I drove down to my target to look at the results. Shot 7 would have been the 3rd shot of a string, and shot 7A would have been the 1st.

Maybe next time I'll I can trick one of my buddies into going down into the pits and pulling my target so I don't have to make the drive. This would allow me to keep a more consistent temp.

I'm a little confused, could you see your hits? Without a chrono and no visual
how do you know which of the four is which? Looks like it's going to be a
great shooting gun though. Between 9 and 10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I ever analized was my highschool girlfriend. Analyzing is another issue though... </div></div>

That was awesome first and foremost.

As to the load. I would start shooting groups hovering around the #9 load and see what happens. Looks like it has a lot of potential.
D

I can't see well enough at that range to trust it. So I colored the bullets with a dry erase marker. And the would drive down and mark the shots based on the color in the hole. Worked pretty well really.

+1 on the coloring of the bullets. I do that also when I do load development. I use regaulr magic markers, but dry erase will work too. They leave a nicely colored circle on the target. makes it easy to know what you are doing and what got shot when after I get back to the garage and exaine them carefully.
I
JeffVN

30g +/- 0.2g seems to be the place to be in the 6br with 105-107g bullets. I would load 29.8, 30, 30.2 and 30.4g and shoot ten shot strings with each load at 600 yards and see what shoots best.

I think will find your node in that group. Everyone else seems to find it there.

I can't read the numbers on the upper group to say anything about them. There may well be a good one in there; I just can't see it.

It looks to me that loads 5A, 6, 6A, and 7 are spot on. I would reshoot them or similar loads to see what comes out as your load.

There is sometimes a difference in your most accurate load and your fastest accpetable load (for me if its 1/2 MOA or better, that works for F-Class and everything else. If its 3/4 MOA, that works for hammering steel and tactical comps).

Personally I would reshoot 5A - 7 and the upper group again; only this time do it twice and see what you see. When I do load development like this, I run 3 or 4 round robin ladders back-to-back (so the barrel is warm for all the rounds in ladders 2-4). Reality for an F-Class 20 shot relay will show itself in the 2nd to 4th ladders.

If you are looking for a cold bore hammer load, then you'll need to give it plenty of time to cool off between rounds..

JeffVN