• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealeez modifications

I put together an alternative torch holder setup. It may not be for everyone as it is not 100% off the shelf and requires some manual crafting. The root of this is that the stock setup is fine, but not easy to adjust. The Magic Arm setup is highly adjustable, but (in my opinion) bulky and unwieldy to use. It works, but it could be better. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I like the style of torch holder used on the “Bench Source” machine. It uses rods with adjustable clamps. So I started to dig to see how to replicate something similar to the Bench Source setup.

The core of this is a 15mm rod support/rigging system that is apparently common for professional camera systems. It’s a Lego like adjustable framework for mounting stuff. What I am using is a single 2.5” rod that is attached directly to the Annealeez via a ¼-20 bolt matched with 90 degree clamp that connects the torch to the rod. In many ways it replicates the stock setup, but is much easier to use and adjust via the superior adjustment system.

The main issue is that the clamp is designed to use a 15mm rod and the torch neck is 7/16”. So some type of sleeve is required to use expand the torch neck diameter to 15mm. I played a bit with trying to craft one with easy to obtain material (such as a section of copper pipe, brass shim stock, etc. with the goal of providing an easy DIY solution. But it was proving to be difficult to get it to work. Plus, I have a lathe so it’s hard to screw around with a less than optimal solution knowing I can just machine a sleeve that fits perfectly.

I ended up creating a Delrin sleeve that is 7/16” ID and 15mm OD with a shoulder on one end. The tip of the torch can be unscrewed and the sleeve slipped on. The stock torch head is a “swan neck” style, so to move around the bend I cut a lengthwise slot into the sleeve using a Dremel. This gives it enough flexibility to slip over the bend, but to snap back into shape for snug fit.

Below are the links to the rod and clamp on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V9IZP3O

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0785GB54V

Below are some photos of the parts individually and as installed. Note, I was tweaking the sleeve as I went, so one photo doesn’t show the slot cut in the sleeve, while one photo does. The 90 degree clamp has some level of offset so depending upon how you mount it, you can move the torch closer or further away. You can also have the torch over or under the rod. If you find a straight neck torch, then this could allow for easy flame distance adjustment in/out. But for me, the flame distance with the stock torch worked out very well as it replicates the stock distance. The clamp uses a lever arm/wingnut style adjustment, so it’s very easy to loosen, adjust and tighten. Once tight it is solid.

2.5" 15mm rod with 1/4-20 thread...
View attachment 7027825

Delrin sleeve (slot not cut yet in this photo)...
View attachment 7027826

Sleeve and Clamp...
View attachment 7027827

Sleeve (with slot cut into it) and clamp on torch neck (Note, Torch tip was unscrewed from neck to allow sleeve installation and clamp is not fully on the sleeve)...
View attachment 7027828

Installed on my Annealeez...
View attachment 7027829

At this point I think I am done tweaking my Annealeez. I feel like it does what I need with the digital motor controller, external 20lb tank/regulator setup and this new torch arm. Lastly, as you can see in the photos, I have the v2 (or current) style Annealeez. I see no reason this shouldn’t work on the older version especially as it is much less bulky than the Magic Arm.

This set up for the torch holder looks SUPERB.

Any update for gen 2 annealeez models? Should I stick with the same regulator or is there something cheaper on amazon now a days?

In all honesty i have not been keeping up with any new updated parts. Mine is still running great so i leave it alone haha

I put together an alternative torch holder setup. It may not be for everyone as it is not 100% off the shelf and requires some manual crafting. The root of this is that the stock setup is fine, but not easy to adjust. The Magic Arm setup is highly adjustable, but (in my opinion) bulky and unwieldy to use. It works, but it could be better. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I like the style of torch holder used on the “Bench Source” machine. It uses rods with adjustable clamps. So I started to dig to see how to replicate something similar to the Bench Source setup.

The core of this is a 15mm rod support/rigging system that is apparently common for professional camera systems. It’s a Lego like adjustable framework for mounting stuff. What I am using is a single 2.5” rod that is attached directly to the Annealeez via a ¼-20 bolt matched with 90 degree clamp that connects the torch to the rod. In many ways it replicates the stock setup, but is much easier to use and adjust via the superior adjustment system.

The main issue is that the clamp is designed to use a 15mm rod and the torch neck is 7/16”. So some type of sleeve is required to use expand the torch neck diameter to 15mm. I played a bit with trying to craft one with easy to obtain material (such as a section of copper pipe, brass shim stock, etc. with the goal of providing an easy DIY solution. But it was proving to be difficult to get it to work. Plus, I have a lathe so it’s hard to screw around with a less than optimal solution knowing I can just machine a sleeve that fits perfectly.

I ended up creating a Delrin sleeve that is 7/16” ID and 15mm OD with a shoulder on one end. The tip of the torch can be unscrewed and the sleeve slipped on. The stock torch head is a “swan neck” style, so to move around the bend I cut a lengthwise slot into the sleeve using a Dremel. This gives it enough flexibility to slip over the bend, but to snap back into shape for snug fit.

Below are the links to the rod and clamp on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V9IZP3O

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0785GB54V

Below are some photos of the parts individually and as installed. Note, I was tweaking the sleeve as I went, so one photo doesn’t show the slot cut in the sleeve, while one photo does. The 90 degree clamp has some level of offset so depending upon how you mount it, you can move the torch closer or further away. You can also have the torch over or under the rod. If you find a straight neck torch, then this could allow for easy flame distance adjustment in/out. But for me, the flame distance with the stock torch worked out very well as it replicates the stock distance. The clamp uses a lever arm/wingnut style adjustment, so it’s very easy to loosen, adjust and tighten. Once tight it is solid.

2.5" 15mm rod with 1/4-20 thread...
View attachment 7027825

Delrin sleeve (slot not cut yet in this photo)...
View attachment 7027826

Sleeve and Clamp...
View attachment 7027827

Sleeve (with slot cut into it) and clamp on torch neck (Note, Torch tip was unscrewed from neck to allow sleeve installation and clamp is not fully on the sleeve)...
View attachment 7027828

Installed on my Annealeez...
View attachment 7027829

At this point I think I am done tweaking my Annealeez. I feel like it does what I need with the digital motor controller, external 20lb tank/regulator setup and this new torch arm. Lastly, as you can see in the photos, I have the v2 (or current) style Annealeez. I see no reason this shouldn’t work on the older version especially as it is much less bulky than the Magic Arm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-14-08-08-40.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-14-08-08-40.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 20190812_135342.jpg
    20190812_135342.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 263
I’m seeing a trend that a regulator mounted on the tank side of the system is restricting flow to the point that the flame isn’t useable.

It also seems that the stock torch head doesn’t lend itself well to minute adjustments?

Perhaps the most user friendly method that is also easy to repeatably start up is simply hooking the unit up to a 5-20lb tank, get everything set and only use the shut off valve on the tank.
I’d think a larger tank (bigger than the Coleman camp bottles) would succumb to pressure differences due to temp less than the small bottles.

I say all this, but I’ll probably walk into the local propane shop and have them advise me on a regulator and head that will work harmoniously.

I also have a full blown Tempilaq temp stick kit from my days of induction annealing.

Anyone have a ballpark speed setting for 6mmCM?

Just got and installed this articulated arm from Amazon Have not used it yet but it seems a little more adjustable than the standard holder

Attachments

• E9FEEC03-3605-497D-A9C6-67F45753B806.jpeg
    E9FEEC03-3605-497D-A9C6-67F45753B806.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 62C048AB-179B-4D8A-9C9C-AF96C231570F.jpeg
    62C048AB-179B-4D8A-9C9C-AF96C231570F.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 237
  • E6E058D7-8E19-4E9F-97CE-C7F9225E5E1E.jpeg
    E6E058D7-8E19-4E9F-97CE-C7F9225E5E1E.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 215
I’m seeing a trend that a regulator mounted on the tank side of the system is restricting flow to the point that the flame isn’t useable.

It also seems that the stock torch head doesn’t lend itself well to minute adjustments?

Perhaps the most user friendly method that is also easy to repeatably start up is simply hooking the unit up to a 5-20lb tank, get everything set and only use the shut off valve on the tank.
I’d think a larger tank (bigger than the Coleman camp bottles) would succumb to pressure differences due to temp less than the small bottles.

I say all this, but I’ll probably walk into the local propane shop and have them advise me on a regulator and head that will work harmoniously.

I also have a full blown Tempilaq temp stick kit from my days of induction annealing.

Anyone have a ballpark speed setting for 6mmCM?

I have the new version w digital display. I have it set to 59 and that was approx 4.8 secs
I annealed 6.5 CM and 270 win with it at that setting and it looked right
I’d start there and speed up slightly if you see orange flames

Finally got mine to spin brass reliably. Had to bathe the wheel in isopropyl alcohol.
Did 150 cases without a hiccup this evening.
71C7763B-8AAD-4374-AAD9-ED4397B24E4E.jpeg

Last edited:
I just annealed some 30-06 brass with my machine today. Im still running the factory torch, and torch holder. I thread the lp tank into the regulator and adjust the flame by the adjustment on the regulator. Mine runs good enough for me that way.

I'm also running the same Goss regulator that Padom has linked above. My setup is a bit simpler, just straight off a small bottle through the two Mr Heater fittings and regulator, then back into the hose and torch that came with the Annealeez. It was a bit fussy getting set up and getting adequate gas to flow well through that many pin/needle fittings but got it to work after a bit of troubleshooting. I kept the standard pressure gauge that came with the Goss rather than the upgraded low pressure gauge shown above. I think you only need that if you get the nicer benzo torch.

One other pressure regulator option I came across when researching was from Tejass smokers. They have a bunch of different kits and I never really looked into which ones fit best but there's potential to make one of these work for a bit less money than the Goss.

https://tejassmokers.com/High-Pressure-Regulators/29

The other thing I did was upgrade the torch holder and the catch bin as shown in this video. Both well worth doing.

Mine runs at 35 psi and I use the on/off valve that came with the torch setup. The torch head stays wide open, then I just open the on/off valve and light it up and let it run. Same flame, every time.

Hello , I have my Aneeleez setup the same way but I can't any flow from the original hose that came with the Anea
I'm also running the same Goss regulator that Padom has linked above. My setup is a bit simpler, just straight off a small bottle through the two Mr Heater fittings and regulator, then back into the hose and torch that came with the Annealeez. It was a bit fussy getting set up and getting adequate gas to flow well through that many pin/needle fittings but got it to work after a bit of troubleshooting. I kept the standard pressure gauge that came with the Goss rather than the upgraded low pressure gauge shown above. I think you only need that if you get the nicer benzo torch.

One other pressure regulator option I came across when researching was from Tejass smokers. They have a bunch of different kits and I never really looked into which ones fit best but there's potential to make one of these work for a bit less money than the Goss.

https://tejassmokers.com/High-Pressure-Regulators/29

The other thing I did was upgrade the torch holder and the catch bin as shown in this video. Both well worth doing.

Mine runs at 35 psi and I use the on/off valve that came with the torch setup. The torch head stays wide open, then I just open the on/off valve and light it up and let it run. Same flame, every time.

Can you help I can't get any flow to the tourch with the same setup I think it is the needle valve. What did you do to make it work?
Thanks

Have any of you with the Magic Arm had any trouble keeping the screws that connect it to the Annealeez tight? I clamped down on them pretty good with a pair of channel locks, but it keeps trying to rotate clockwise with the weight of the torch hose connected.

Have any of you with the Magic Arm had any trouble keeping the screws that connect it to the Annealeez tight? I clamped down on them pretty good with a pair of channel locks, but it keeps trying to rotate clockwise with the weight of the torch hose connected.
Try a lock washer or some blue loctite.

Reactions: bunsen27
Does higher altitude play a roll in inconsistent torch settings?

Does higher altitude play a roll in inconsistent torch settings?
Im not sure about that.. the inconsistent part. I would think if you got the flame and the time the brass spends in the flame fairly dialed in then it shouldn’t be different every time you use it. Are you using different brands of brass for one caliber?

I just got one of these Annealing machines. No interested in using a 20LB tank or anything. Would just a torch be a nice upgrade? Most linked here aren't made anymore. Any suggestions from the newer owners of the Gen2

Yeah, I know this is an old thread but is there any agreed on better torches to replace the stock one? I see a lot that are proposed but many are unavailable someone says that they're not appropriate. The stock one doesn't seem to be concentrated enough. I think one that comes to a finer, thinner point could work better.

Yeah, I know this is an old thread but is there any agreed on better torches to replace the stock one? I see a lot that are proposed but many are unavailable someone says that they're not appropriate. The stock one doesn't seem to be concentrated enough. I think one that comes to a finer, thinner point could work better.
Get a decent Bernzmatic $22 and be done.

I had a torch holder made by a member on the Hide.
It really uncomplicates things as far as adjustments go.
I put a rubber washer against the cabinet and I can adjust everything with a finger.
20210704_162919.jpg
20210704_162914.jpg

I had a torch holder made by a member on the Hide.
It really uncomplicates things as far as adjustments go.
I put a rubber washer against the cabinet and I can adjust everything with a finger.
View attachment 7668338View attachment 7668339
That's an incredible piece of kit. I envy you. However, I'm not capable of making such a widget and I don't have your connections to the folks that did one for you..*sigh*.