• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

*Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle *

Re: *Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle

Nice looking rifle native. I like the way it turned out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep Chimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, has anyone ELSE heard from George? </div></div>

I might not be in the "ELSE" group but I did talk with him today.
He called me back in short order after I left a message with another person in the shop today.
I explained my chambering/extraction issues that I described in my earlier post.
The problem was even worse when I resized some loads last night.
Even on a FL size I cannot chamber consistently/rarely. The spring back is enough that it is still a few thousands over factory.

He did say he runs a very tight "tactical" chamber
Well, it's toooo "tactical" for me I guess
Two options he gave:
1. Relieve my shell plate holder about .005"
2. Take another approximately .002" off the chamber.

Since it is still tough extraction even for factory ammo after 168 rds, we decided it would be best to do both.
I'll send a few fired cases and FL sized cases along, when I ship barreled action back tomorrow.

George was in a whole different tone and manner on the phone today and in a good way. I did not end the conversation WITHOUT asking about the status of the rest of these.
I did not get who and or specifics and frankly it's none of my business....but I do know he is a working on getting them out...again FWIW

I'd be scared to send him back your rifle but that's just from an outside observer. Seems like you guys will be getting your rifles and maybe relatively soon. Thank God!

How the hell is a tight chamber "tactical"..............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How the hell is a tight chamber "tactical".............. </div></div>

?...just adding the question mark for you, I concur

Native have you considered trying a small base size die?
Might save you the headache of sending it off?
Does it chamber \ extract factory rounds ok?

If this has already been covered please disregard my post and excuse my lazy reading nature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Native have you considered trying a small base size die?
<span style="font-weight: bold">Does it chamber \ extract factory rounds ok?</span>

If this has already been covered please disregard my post and excuse my lazy reading nature. </div></div>

No it does not extract factory and or new brass like it should in my opinion
Southwest ammo being the only factory ammo I've used, being rem brass

Already torn down - boxed up barrel/action, will send off tomorrow.
He says 1-2 day tops
wink.gif
we'll see

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Native have you considered trying a small base size die?
Does it chamber \ extract factory rounds ok?

If this has already been covered please disregard my post and excuse my lazy reading nature. </div></div>

I can't think of a single reason why you'd have to use a small base die in a bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: native</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Native have you considered trying a small base size die?
<span style="font-weight: bold">Does it chamber \ extract factory rounds ok?</span>

No it does not extract factory and or new brass like it should in my opinion
Southwest ammo being the only factory ammo I've used, being rem brass

Already torn down - boxed up barrel/action, will send off tomorrow.
He says 1-2 day tops
wink.gif
we'll see

</div></div>

1-2 days to him means 1-2 months...... Glad I could translate for you!

I plan on picking mine up tomorrow.
It will be the first thing I do is chambering some factory rounds. Thanks for the heads up Native

I picked up my SH build today.
First thing I noted was the Surefire muzzle brake was not on it nor the barrel cut for it.
I called George immediately and he said he would turn it around asap.
Second I checked out fit and finish, i will say it was ok. The rail for mounting a bipod is a bit tilted and the bedding needs cleaned from the edges of it and some mill cutter marks forward of it.

Next I swabbed the chamber and checked chambering and extraction of loaded rounds, there were no issues.

I like the rifle, great balance and handles great.
I will get an optic mounted on it and get it out for some shooting this weekend, will take some photos as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up my SH build today. </div></div>
My I ask if you had it shipped to your local FFL holder;
or did you get it from the builder's loacation?

mclevela

Two out the door that we know of anyway and two going back.
Maybe he can stick the SH logo on then?

Do they even have the SH Logo on them??

Oh great, thanks, sounded like there was a problem. I'm getting real uneasy with missing stuff and extraction problems.

Oh man, O for 2.. Doesn't sound so promising.. Im waiting for my final invoice.,.

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May I ask for what reason you could possibly want to know? </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">mclevela,

If you are going to the builder's location you might see some-
thing interesting to ALL those following this PUBLICLY ACCES-
SIBLE thread.</span></span>
If you are getting it from a local FFL that received it from the builder
then you won't have such an opportunity. And you know what? All my
posts on this thread have been HIGHLY supportive of you buyers! I don't
know why you took an attitude with me. I'll cut you slack though; given
the trouble all you buyers have had with this. I don't blame you for be-
ing short tempered. I hope your rifle gives you great service! You and
your descendants.

Mr. Jack,
Lets be clear on this. If I had went to the builder's location and had some idea of where the rest of the rifles are in the build process I would have certainly disclosed such.
My reasons for not going to the builders location are as follows,
my home is a nine hour drive to said builder's local, I was in western PA when my rifle shipped and finally; one would be dunned Utah sales tax to pick the rifle up at the builder.

Attitude you say? Well here is some attitude for you.
Lose the big bold font thing, I am sure you are trying to express your creativity and how supportive you are to everyone it is totally not required, needed or wanted.

One more small point, if you take issue with my responses then don't respond to or comment about any of my posts ever and out mutual respect I shall do the same for you.

My apologies for somehow offending you and thank you for cutting me slack, i will rest easy tonight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Do they even have the SH Logo on them??</span>
</div></div>

NO mine DOES NOT or I could not find it?

Yes they are stamped SHR + serial number [build number]on the action. But there is NO SH logo per original spec "Engraved with Snipers Hide Logo on barrel"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AdvenJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May I ask for what reason you could possibly want to know? </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">mclevela,

If you are going to the builder's location you might see some-
thing interesting to ALL those following this PUBLICLY ACCES-
SIBLE thread.</span></span>
If you are getting it from a local FFL that received it from the builder
then you won't have such an opportunity. And you know what? All my
posts on this thread have been HIGHLY supportive of you buyers! I don't
know why you took an attitude with me. I'll cut you slack though; given
the trouble all you buyers have had with this. I don't blame you for be-
ing short tempered. I hope your rifle gives you great service! You and
your descendants.
</div></div>

We expressed attitude towards you?

Again, you have no dog in this fight. We don't need words of encouragement, we need the builder to get off his ass and get the rifles done, properly. Or refund our money. Its been way to long and you coming on here handing out this legal advice does not a thing for us but steer some in the wrong direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: native</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Do they even have the SH Logo on them??</span>
</div></div>

Yes they are stamped SHR + serial number [build number]on the action. But there is NO SH logo per original spec "Engraved with Snipers Hide Logo on barrel"

</div></div>

That's great, we're getting a Rem Safety, No logo as promised in description. This is such BS!! I've been pretty mellow through this whole thing but I'm really starting to get pissed now!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: native</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Do they even have the SH Logo on them??</span>
</div></div>

</div></div>

That's great, we're getting a Rem Safety, No logo as promised in description. This is such BS!! I've been pretty mellow through this whole thing but I'm really starting to get pissed now!! </div></div>

Dag..... Lawyer up!

...hey, don't feel too bad, 'Jack...feelin's are runnin' high in here...

...I was threatened with a month's ban if I post in here again, and I am one of "victims"...

...I really didn't want to see the guys in here start beating the builder over the head behind his loooooong production delays and start seeing compromises and fudged details on the finished rifles from him trying to catch up...oh, well...

...I am cool with the SHR serial # but I don't want the build logo anyway, as I have taken the oppertunity of this delay to change out the specs on my build so it is not properly part of the build anymore...

...I asked tac lite to delete the muzzle attatchment and go with as close to 26" in barrel length as the selected barrel blank will allow, with a target crown...

...otherwise, the specs of my build remain the same...

...my situation and location are very different than they were two long years ago when this rifle was ordered, and these unforeseen changes have rendered the ownership and deployment of a suppressor much more difficult and unlikely...

...w/o the possiblity of a suppressor I thought a 24-26" tube would be more appropriate for my cuurrnt needs...

...if I have not been banned or something, I will be closely following this thread, and fully intend to post up photos and range reports of my <span style="font-weight: bold">'09 build offshoot rifle</span> when lite tac finally builds it and I finally scrape together the rest of the cabbage...

...please forgive me if I mount a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope upon it for the first range sessions...

...although it would not exactly be a direct comparession, I thought it would be interesting to note the difference barrel length actually made on such otherwise similer rifles...you know, if you could believe any data I post...

...one question now I have is whether a target crown offers any inherit accuracy advantages over a threaded barrel w/nut...

...I figgers one can always have a barrel cut and threaded...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...hey, don't feel too bad, 'Jack...feelin's are runnin' high in here...

<span style="color: #FF0000">...I was threatened with a month's ban if I post in here again, and I am one of "victims"...</span>

...I really didn't want to see the guys in here start beating the builder over the head behind his loooooong production delays and start seeing compromises and fudged details on the finished rifles from him trying to catch up...oh, well...

...I am cool with the SHR serial # but I don't want the build logo anyway, as I have taken the oppertunity of this delay to change out the specs on my build so it is not properly part of the build anymore...

...I asked tac lite to delete the muzzle attatchment and go with as close to 26" in barrel length as the selected barrel blank will allow, with a target crown...

...otherwise, the specs of my build remain the same...

...my situation and location are very different than they were two long years ago when this rifle was ordered, and these unforeseen changes have rendered the ownership and deployment of a suppressor much more difficult and unlikely...

...w/o the possiblity of a suppressor I thought a 24-26" tube would be more appropriate for my cuurrnt needs...

...if I have not been banned or something, I will be closely following this thread, and fully intend to post up photos and range reports of my <span style="font-weight: bold">'09 build offshoot rifle</span> when lite tac finally builds it and I finally scrape together the rest of the cabbage...

...please forgive me if I mount a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope upon it for the first range sessions...

...although it would not exactly be a direct comparession, I thought it would be interesting to note the difference barrel length actually made on such otherwise similer rifles...you know, if you could believe any data I post...

...one question now I have is whether a target crown offers any inherit accuracy advantages over a threaded barrel w/nut...

...I figgers one can always have a barrel cut and threaded...

</div></div>

So they told you if you posted again you would get banned...... and you post again?
WOW!

...I hoped maybe the ban would be lifted now that some rifles were starting to ship...

...I really don't see where I was so out of line, anyway, but it's not my thread nor my site, so I just shut up...

...I am not trying to be defiant, but I don't respond too well to threats, either...

...I won't post anything else in here until I actually have something to report, and will certainly seek to avoid the stirring of the shit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chansen49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ANy good news? Native? You get it back yet?
</div></div>

The rifle did not get back to him until late the afternoon of Monday, two days ago.
HE called me the same day late to discuss after receiving/looking and doing a couple/few things.
He was suppose to range test yesterday or today.
Just got tracking info a few minutes ago that it's on the way back.

I'll bitch/moan and complain when it's warranted... <span style="font-weight: bold">and boy has it and still is for most here!</span> I would much prefer like all of you to give a shout for outstanding service and this was!
The proof will be at the trigger of course
Thank you George

Hey, thats great... Maybe George is having a turnaround for the better.

Ch

I can't believe the day has come....

I have received my rifle. As of this morning my FFL called me and said you have a transfer in here via USPS. The rifle arrived in a hard case with a box around it. It was packed decently with bubble wrap around the receiver and muzzle, bolt wrapped on its own.

My initial impression:

The rifle looks good. Fit and finish seems to be right up there in quality. The action is beefy, well thought out and I like the overall design. It closely resembles the PGW Coyote. The one thing I noticed right off the bat was the scope height from the cheek piece, its really high! The stock is not my favorite color but I think this group of rifles will be the only ones like it, so that is fine, we stand out.

To the range:

I only had time to put about 20 rounds thru it. I used Hornady 140gr match ammo. My initial shot was at 525 yards. I was over 4 mils high, the scope had come off a 24" barreled 308. That really shows you the difference in 308 vs. 6.5CM. I made adjustments to get on the 8" circle. First shot was just left of center mass. I put 3 more shots on it and they were all within a half inch of each other, easily. I went out to 600, 700 and 800 yards. No problems but one thing really stood out. The rifle does NOT extract the brass. It actually flips it around in the ejection port and then scars it up. I saved the brass to confirm my suspicions.

I think George was on the right track with the rifle. His communication was as horrible as his time management. The end result is a nice rifle was produced. Once the ejection issue is resolved I would be interested to see what the rifle is capable of.

My current setup is: ATLAS V8, SWR Omega 30, Hensoldt 3-12x56.

I will get some pics up

Aside from the common ejection issues, Thats some good news..

pics or it didnt happen..lol

Ch

I'm glad to hear your initial impressions of the rifle were good. Waiting this long would definetly put a real sour taste in your mouth if the rifle did not perform or the fit and finish were not up to par. I had a custom .308 once that came from a very well known smith with feeding problems so the extraction problem isn't that big of a deal. A quick trip to George or another plumber will fix that quickly. The performance of the 6.5 Creed kills the .308 so it will be fun to shoot at distance. Let us know more about the rifle and some pics would be awesome!

<span style="font-weight: bold">BS KYS338 get a pic up or it aint so</span>
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The one thing I noticed right off the bat was the scope height from the cheek piece, its really high! The stock is not my favorite color but I think this group of rifles will be the only ones like it, so that is fine, we stand out.
</div></div>

Even with low rings I noticed I had to go nearly all the way up with cheek also.
If I was ever able to afford a clip on for my NV, not sure what I would do.
Since sending mine back I have worked on some paint for scope/bipod/can to match a little better.

mclevela in a pm to me complained about poor/wimpy ejection.
I did not have any issues with this but mine was extraction.
I was suppose to have it back friday and it looks like its still stuck/lost in Utah!

Get a pic up!!

I finally got out to shoot mine.
Overall the rifle is well put together. The action seems well designed and I too noticed that it adds about 1/8" to 3/16" to scope height over a rem 700 or 700 clone.
I would like to dismiss the ejection issue but it is a pain to dig every round out of the action, about half of them get spun 180 back into the action.
The rifle has to go back to have the machine work done for the SF brake and hopefully George can tune up the ejection issue.

I started out shooting Black Hills 139gr Lapua Scenar at 100 yards, the first 8 were a bit scattergun like. I cleaned the rifle and it seemed to settle in and shoot decent.
I was shooting over a chrono and the low for the Black Hills ammo was 2608 and the high 2735 for an ES of 127 and an average for 20 rnds. of 2677. Right at 2700 seems to be the threshold of max psi for this rifle as bolt lift was a bit sticky at 2700+.

I moved to 615 yds and shot an 8" 20 shot group with another box of BH's ammo, 4.1 mils put me right on at that range using 2670 fps, Elv. 4360, Baro 29.97, Temp 64, Hum 28%, Wind 6 mph
I then moved back to one hundred yards and shot 4 three shot groups using the 139 gr. Lapua, WW cases, CCI BR-2, with charges of H4350 42gr, 42.5, 43 & 43.5.
Velocity ran from 2585 to 2692.
The 43 & 43.5 gr. weights show promise.
Sorry for the cell phone pics and lack of 5 shot groups.

Best BH's group
2ro712e.jpg

42.5 43 43.5
25i0mdv.jpg

29ll27d.jpg

33o6x5g.jpg

Y'alls rifles look amazing. I love the color of the stock and metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe the day has come....

I have received my rifle. As of this morning my FFL called me and said you have a transfer in here via USPS. The rifle arrived in a hard case with a box around it. It was packed decently with bubble wrap around the receiver and muzzle, bolt wrapped on its own.

My initial impression:

The rifle looks good. Fit and finish seems to be right up there in quality. The action is beefy, well thought out and I like the overall design. It closely resembles the PGW Coyote. The one thing I noticed right off the bat was the scope height from the cheek piece, its really high! The stock is not my favorite color but I think this group of rifles will be the only ones like it, so that is fine, we stand out.

To the range:

I only had time to put about 20 rounds thru it. I used Hornady 140gr match ammo. My initial shot was at 525 yards. I was over 4 mils high, the scope had come off a 24" barreled 308. That really shows you the difference in 308 vs. 6.5CM. I made adjustments to get on the 8" circle. First shot was just left of center mass. I put 3 more shots on it and they were all within a half inch of each other, easily. I went out to 600, 700 and 800 yards. No problems but one thing really stood out. The rifle does NOT extract the brass. It actually flips it around in the ejection port and then scars it up. I saved the brass to confirm my suspicions.

I think George was on the right track with the rifle. His communication was as horrible as his time management. The end result is a nice rifle was produced. Once the ejection issue is resolved I would be interested to see what the rifle is capable of.

My current setup is: ATLAS V8, SWR Omega 30, Hensoldt 3-12x56.

I will get some pics up </div></div>

Are you by any chance planning on getting some MV's on the factory Creedmoor 140s?

I haven't even got one piece of paper at all. Its kinda like throwing 2k into the wishing well.

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so how many have recieved rifles? i have not recieved mine yet </div></div>

Sounding like 3 of us...

So which numbers have been delivered? If I can ask that?

Also, are we accounting for all 15? (Think only 15 of 25 were sold) I haven't been able to figure who's a buyer and who's a looker in this thread.

BTW, I have number 10 on order...

CWJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robozebra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So which numbers have been delivered? If I can ask that?

Also, are we accounting for all 15? (Think only 15 of 25 were sold) I haven't been able to figure who's a buyer and who's a looker in this thread.

BTW, I have number 10 on order...

CWJ </div></div>

Read the accounts of the 3 members that have said they are in hand....

mclevela, native, and me

I was hoping to not have to read every post from you three in this thread.

Mainly wondering if you guys were sequential numbers or if it's squeaky wheel getting greased... LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robozebra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hoping to not have to read every post from you three in this thread.

Mainly wondering if you guys were sequential numbers or if it's squeaky wheel getting greased... LOL </div></div>

While I wont go into detail in public it was not "greasing the wheels" that moved it along.
The builder said he would send them out as they were paid.... but take that with a grain of salt

The trade off for your wait is you won't have to deal with sending your rifle back for the ejection problem nor the extraction problem as George has those issues resolved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trade off for your wait is you won't have to deal with sending your rifle back for the ejection problem nor the extraction problem as George has those issues resolved.
</div></div>

That is one way of looking at it.
I did get mine back today and while not field tested yet, it is MUCH better if not perfect on the bench.
Thank you again George!