• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another CA gun law question (Shipping Rifles)

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
I know of one way to ship rifles to CA and that's an FFL to FFL transfer. I'm alright with paying the fees to ship and register my rifles down here in California however the gun shops back home refuse to do an FFL to FFL transfer to California. Can I FedEx my rifles to myself, then take them to a shop to get them registered or is that illegal? I would just have them shipped to Arizona however that's two different FFL transfers I'll have to pay for versus one. Unfortunately I don't know anyone flying from home to California anytime soon otherwise I would opt for that route.

Thanks in advance for the information and help.

P.S. Its 3 rifles and they're all California legal.

Re: Another CA gun law question (Shipping Rifles)

So, you are coming from AK to CA? If so, shipping to yourself seems GTG. From the ATF website:

<span style="font-style: italic">Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.</span>

There is no need to register long guns when moving to CA. That is only required for hand guns.

Re: Another CA gun law question (Shipping Rifles)

The reason FFLs refuse to transfer to CA is the fact they have to be approved by the CA DOJ to ship to CA. Most feel it is not worth the hassle and additional paperwork.