• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Corvette aficionados here?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So a neighbor has offered me his Corvette... which is sort of a barn find... for $8,000.

It's a 1972 Chrome Bumper. >30K miles on it. But it has sat a lot and he has neglected it for a long time. It was repainted from blue to black...not really well. And the interior color was changed from tan to red with some kind of 'spray on upholstry color.' Original and matching numbers with 350 motor. Base model. Needs carb work. Exhaust. All the brake lines replaced. I forgot to ask if Auto or standard, but I suspect Auto. EDIT. Manual transmission. Which is appealing.

I've always had sort of a soft spot for those vertical-rear-window early '70's pre-smog cars. But I don't need any projects, either. That said... it doesn't seem that daunting. And there is a lot of fun 'internal' stuff one can do with a 350 motor to make it more fun while keeping it numbers matching. Plus there are lots of interesting period accessories (headers and side pipes) that would make it an interesting hot rod.

Any 'Vette experts out there want to talk me out of (or into) this project?

Sirhr

Last edited:
Well... that depends
Sounds like a project car but you dont need another project, I know that feeling.
I have a '77, last of the flat back windows, had it for 40 years so lots of memories attached.
Been doing frame off resto mod for several years in between other projects.
LS3 525 hp 5 speed rolling chassis done most body work done. I have been doing paint and glass work most my life so no great expense there.
Changing interior from red to black with all new parts gets expensive, but if you need original red parts I got some...
I also have a '98 full on road race car with LS7 but quit racing as I got older and slower reflexes.

If you are in the rust belt look for rust fwd of rear wheel where the frame goes verticle over axel and the windshield frame (birdcage) in particular the lower corners.
Rear wheel bearings are another problem area but with your skills you can handle that I'm shore . I also have all the setup tools for that I don't need anymore.
If frame is not rusted might be a good deal. All chrome bumper vettes matter.

Joe

Join up here so you can spend more time on the internet reading, learning and arguing. Much like here a lot of shit talking, but there is a lot of knowledge there if you have a big enough shovel.
I have a weakness for them and wish my dad never sold his 63 Zo6 and 65 Convertible.
Current have a C6 ZR1

Yep get on the corvette forum. Everything you could possibly want to know about the car is on there. I have a C6 Z06 and used that forum for all my research needs while shopping and purchasing and modifying.

It does sound like a project car for sure, but damn, who doesn’t love a flat back window vette?!?

I’ve done a few, just depends on what you want? How much you want to spend? How much you want to do? And what level you Want to take the car to? Actually I took mine out tonight to supper and a spin around town. It’s been sitting for months. Kinda like guns??

Reactions: isofahunter
That's a car you need somebody to look over to see if it's a good candidate to spend money on... I guarantee there is somebody in your area that knows the cars and can look at it for you. Corvette forum is a good place to start.

Good thing about corvettes is there are repro parts for EVERYTHING... So nothing is impossible...

Just remember it takes about the same amount of money to restore a "base model" that's worth 30k after restoration as it costs to restore a rare big block car that is worth 200k after you are done.

Unless I had sentimental attachment to that car, I would likely pass... I've gotten balls deep into many car projects that I had no attachment to and at the end of the day sold them for less than I had in them...

If you are looking for a fun corvette for 8-10k can get you into a late c4 with decent mileage. A little more gets you into a c5.

I've owned 6 or 7 corvettes... Currently have a 96 and 2019. I want a mid 60's driver but I want to buy one done...if I find something sub 50k, I'll likely pull the trigger.

Go to Barrett Jackson car auction and pick one up restored already and save a ton of money from someone else who spent a ton of money on the restoration. 72 vette average retail is about 40K in good shape.

Sounds like a hard pass. But, a 63 split window, 66 with 427 and tri-power rated at 435 hp off the showroom floor, or even a 67 with a 427 rated at 425 has always been on the wish list. Or a 67 Camaro!😍

Reactions: candyx
Sounds like a hard pass. But, a 63 split window, 66 with 427 and tri-power rated at 435 hp off the showroom floor, or even a 67 with a 427 rated at 425 has always been on the wish list. Or a 67 Camaro!😍

Bring a few hundred thousand dollars....

Reactions: 1J04

67's bring big money one that I think is timeless is the 58 .

Reactions: 1J04
The new Vettes are pretty fucking kickass right outta the factory!

They are insane and for the money quite reasonable compared to cars in the 300K range. My first one was a 76 and paid 7.5K brand new I guess materials and labor has gone up since then.